Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've been lurking this thread for months and just sorta assumed the Analogue devices were fundamentally not what this thread was about since it never came up previously, but I also snagged a pocket preorder when they went live and am very excited to get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Weedle posted:

it’s my favorite..........

big same. clamshell forever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel like I'm missing something obvious, what exactly does it do? Like it implies you can browse and play games on it, but they clearly state you need a cartridge for the game inserted.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blotto_Otter posted:

With the Steam Deck and Playdate both announcing this week that they're pushed back to 2022, I wonder how much longer until Analogue announces the (third) delay of the Pocket. (Analogue's last delay announcement said "Pocket will have some hands-on features and reviews coming before it ships" and uhh we're getting awfully close to that alleged "December 2021" ship date and not a peep about hands-ons or reviews.)

Do not speak this curse to life

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hooray

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1462784651232227329

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Now that the Pocket is actually shipping, where should I be watching for updates on people cracking it?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blotto_Otter posted:

I placed an order for a dock and Game Gear adapter only, but I farted around with my credit card for a bit and wound up with a 112xxx order. I wonder if accessory-only orders are going to move any more quickly or if those will drag out until 2023 as well.

(For comparison, my Aug 2020 white Pocket order was #47xxx, got a tracking number late last night.)

I'm #50XXX and haven't got my tracking number yet. Sad times for this patient gamer.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

falz posted:

Fyi the Mega SG, a few cartridge adapters and the analog output thing are in stock currently.

cool, hopefully we'll see the same for the Super NT sometime

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
in addition to confirming the bulk of Pocket preorders will be shipped this year, Analogue confirmed they're doing one final run of the Super NT and Mega Sg (preorders later this month, shipping late 2023).

i was pretty excited at first but they aren't rerunning the model I wanted (the translucent one), and since I already own a Pocket + dock and the emulation on that is picking up I'll probably skip it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i know this isn't quite a "console" question, but i got a FXPAK Pro from Krikzz recently and it owns, but i'm having one issue. Mario Kart specifically seems ot not work - it shows the "Nintendo" boot screen and plays the little coin jingle, and then never loads past that. i've checked other weird chip games like Star Fox, Mario RPG, and Mega Man X3 and they all seem to work fine. obviously I haven't explored the entire catalogue to see if other games have this issue but after checking around 25 games it was the only problematic one. the store page says it supports its chip (DSP-1/1B). any ideas? i'm playing on a super NT in case that would matter.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
makes sense, thank you.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really can't emphasize enough just how good the Pocket's screen is. Also I know no one here uses it for that feature but being able to actually play carts also owns. I've picked up a bunch of random games at garage sales and it's fun to play them on such a premium bit of hardware.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you don't play DS games you're definitely missing something - the amazing library of DS games! Jump in, gamer.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
as a clueless person, what gen of onsoles would that properly emulate to?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Gotcha, thanks. Do people use them for anything otger than old console emulation?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i basically stole one of the famicom gba micros from work when I was working at a Sears over the holidays in high school because someone put it down on the wrong shelf in place of a product marked $15 and store policy was people paid what an item was marked as. and then i lost it in a move like a decade ago. god i wish I still had that thing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rinkles posted:

The DS screens gave me eyestrain. I can't even imagine playing on a Micro.

its the best way to play the bit Generations games!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Did the Retroid Pocket 2S preorders go out yet? I thought that was supposed to happen a week or so ago.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
This is unjust.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
looks like my retroid 2S shipped. if I don't really have any intention of using more than the included 128gb of storage at a given time is there any real advantage to getting a microSD for it aside from being able to set up folders in advance? like I assume there's no issue setting up different front ends (I'm mostly looking at Retro Game Corps' guides) and the like, right?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Got my Retroid Pocket 2S and trying to get it set up, but hitting a weird snag. I plugged it in via usb to my computer to move files over, but it isn't showing up as a device in Windows. Every few minutes a "use USB for file transfer?" window will pop up on the Retroid but it disappears automatically before I can interact with it and defaults to the No option. Is there a setting buried somewhere that would take care of this?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Unfortunately I'm trying to use the built in storage, not an SD card. And yeah even at the main menu it just pops up, lingers for .5-2 seconds, and vanishes. Some times I manage to touch the "Use for transfers" option but it doesn't seem to take and the window just closes. No notifications are popping up at all otherwise, even though I have the ""Notify when a USB is connected" option enabled under Handheld Settings.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Update: I tried it on my laptop instead of my desktop and it seemed to stay visible for long enough to pick the appropriate option. I was able to open the S2 in file explorer for about 10 seconds before the window closed and reopened, then repeated that 4-5 more times before saying the device has been disconnected. Not the best first experience with the Retroid line of products I'm afraid.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I had one of the transparent analogue pockets in my cart before having a brief flash of lucidity where I realized I already had one and closed the window before I could buy it despite wanting a clear one since the original models were announced. 30 minutes later my friend told me he'd have bought my old one from me. Fug.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The pockets screen is seriously gorgeous, I got a Retroid 2S and never use it for anything the Pocket can do because it's just so much prettier. Not to say you must buy one but it's definitely not just only good for cartridge play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Obviously not technically a third party console but I'm not really sure where else to put a question about a third party hacked DSi running NDS Bootstrap and TWiLight, so any help is appreciated:

A few times now the system has just completely shut off abruptly- I've had it happen in both the main menu as well as in a game (DQ5 specifically). DQ5 has also got really weird and bad video issues during the opening video, like the screen starts flickering and tearing. This may happen in more titles but honestly I haven't explored enough to say for sure.

Additionally I've also had time where closing the console for sleep mode doesn't change anything (I can hear the audio playing when closed), and once it simply shut off entirely. And yeah the console has been well-charged in all instances.

Anyone ever dealt with something like this? It's hard to get comfortable playing anything when the console may simply turn off randomly.