Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I got an RG405M from a goon a few days ago, and man, this thing is great. Never worked with a dedicated emu platform before. I just crack my various handhelds. (My vita is still my favorite.) But having something that can actually handle PS2 and Gamecube games and display everything at proper 4:3 is really nice to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Explosionface posted:

So when are you buying your next three?

:confused:

Am I...missing something? Is this thing going to brick on me in a week? :ohdear:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rinkles posted:

i'm waiting till i can afford one for the right goldilocks combination of price, power, and screen size.

i don't actually know what aspect ratio i'd want. Probably 4:3 but that kills PSP, and isn't great for the DSs. A Retroid Flip with a second 4:3 screen might be the theoretical ideal.

I've already come to terms with the fact that the only good DS console will be a DS. I can't see a 3rd party developer making a clamshell stylus-driven dual screen unit just to hit that niche of an emu market. Design would be hell, and they'd be working with last gen "touch" technology.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly they don't even need to use two screens, just a single touch screen big enough to display both DS screens at the same time at at least full native resolution would be more than sufficient

This is why the "best" screens to use for DS games are 16:9/widescreen but in portrait mode. And how many manufacturers make them with stylus support?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gyshall posted:

What is the goto Firmware/Operating system for the Anbernic RG devices in 2023?

GammaOS

It runs the higher end emulators (like Dolphin or PPSSPP) more efficiently, so you can squeeze better frame rates out of them.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Terminus posted:

I just got my RG405M* after ordering it on the 15th so it looks like about 2 weeks. Yours might take longer with all the holiday shipping though.

*Off topic, It''s awesome and runs Gamecube and Dreamcast a lot better than I assumed it would.

Yeah. I was shocked, too. Honestly, the only Gamecube game its flubbed for me so far has been Rogue Leader.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The 7th Guest posted:

man why are the buttons so small lol

looks like it'll be comfy to hold tho

Those are the exactly same buttons and sticks they use on the 405M which is significantly smaller. But they're pretty high quality. The 405M is one of the sturdiest handhelds I've ever used, and all the controls are super clicky and responsive.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

yoloer420 posted:

The polymega doesn't really interest me that much, but their light gun does.

Does anyone know if it will work with the mister or other systems?

Actually. That reminds me.

I'm looking to get a light gun for my PS1 and PS2. Is there a 3rd party one that works for both GunCon 1 and 2 games? Being able to consolidate accessories would be neato.

This is on a CRT.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rolo posted:

The battery on my hacked 3DS is wild. Decided I wanted to play some Castlevania today and it’s still charged after a year of being off in a drawer.

The DS/3DS generations of handhelds had loving phenomenal battery conservation and general lifespan.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

uiruki posted:

The thing that really killed 3DS battery life was Streetpass as it made for super short standby times. I'm sure that if you turned that off it'd be fine.

That's the thing. You didn't save much battery life by closing the shell because of streetpass. But if you turned it off, you could have it sit forever and it would barely lose any charge.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

repiv posted:

are there any linux based handhelds which implement c-to-c charging properly, most of them still seem to get it wrong even though it only takes a few resistors to negotiate 5v

I discovered this little quirk about my RG405m yesterday. It just doesn’t like C-to-C charging, and that poo poo is android based. :psyduck:

I thought my battery shat the bed after 3 months.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You can double the size for $6 more.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I just realized I think I left my RG405M on the airplane on my flight back from overseas last week.
That pouch also had my USB->MicroSD adapter in it, too. :(

Edit: Oh thank god! I found it in the dark recesses of the very bottom of my backpack. *whew*

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 20, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Commander Keene posted:

Having problems getting Saturn games to work on a RP3, I have the bios in the right place but RetroArch (in both beetleSaturn and Yaba Sanshiro cores) says "Failed to load content" and the standalone (free) Yaba Sanshiro 2 Android app just gives me their "Buy the full app now" ad that it does when you start the app.

Some .bin/.cue file dumps for Saturn games have extraneous file pathways in the .cue file. Open them up in notepad and make sure the first line is just:
code:
FILE "gamename.bin" BINARY
And doesn't have any "c:/..." whatever junk in it.

Also, confirm that the bios is ACTUALLY in the right place and that Retroarch is pointing to the right subfile. I was just working this problem over the last couple days, myself, on my RG405M, and when you look through an Android device's files in Windows Explorer, you're not actually matching up pathways. If you go into RetroArch's Settings -> Directory, I believe the base pathway for the BIOS files is someting like
code:
/storage/emulated/0/RetroArch/system
which conforms to
code:
This PC\Pixel 3a\Internal shared storage\RetroArch\system
in Windows Explorer.

If that doesn't work, either the core you're using is looking for more than just "saturn_bios.bin" in the bios folder, or the game dumps are just corrupted. You can try dumping all the files from the proper core found here https://archive.org/details/RetroarchSystemFiles into the bios folder and see if they work.

I was massively disappointed to learn that at least for the 405M, Saturn emulation is pretty much garbage regardless of the core you use. Even when put into maximum performance mode. I'm still trying to figure out how to get things to run smother if its even possible off an Android device.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Commander Keene posted:

I manually changed the path to a directory I created for the purposes of holding bios files for all of the emulators I'm installing, so yes I'm certain they're in the right place. And the bin/cue dumps work just fine in BizHawk on my Windows PC, so it seems unlikely that it would be a problem with the dumps.

What are the bios files you're using for Saturn? There are some that are more than just saturn_bios.bin or sega_101.bin. It's possible you might need some of the "optional" bios files depending on the core like the epr-XXXXX.ic8, and mpr-XXXXX.bin/.ic1 files.

I ended up dumping all of them into my folder before it started loading .chd and some .bin/.cue pairs.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MarcusSA posted:

AliExpress is having a sale right now and if anyone was looking for a set top emulator you really can’t bes this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256805048523628.html

$85 for the 8/255 or $105 for the 16/512

It will do everything up to ps2 at 720p

https://youtu.be/DIhG9cTbYtY?si=KX2CXPrCbgiDXEXA

https://youtu.be/HPGeXF-yKqw?si=sOuh7ANYTkXRvOTR

Another store is doing the EU version of the 15/512 for $47 which seems.....more sketch?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...7Cquery_from%3A

Edit: I straight up don't have a whole lot of experience going through AliExpress, but loving lol on how blatant some of this poo poo is.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 18, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lamont posted:

Heads up, this suddenly became available to me in the UK so might have changed for other countries too!

Only the 16/512 variant was available for me. The 8/256 was still unable to be shipped to my address. :iiam:

Which is fine because I wanted the beefier one anyway.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's how aliexpress works. The sellers put in a lower tier option so the price displayed on the search result is lower. Sometimes they put in a $5 accessory.

Oh, I'm aware. That's how it works on eBay, too (kinda...they show the full price range). I was just commenting on the fact that while both the 8GB and 16GB models are available, only the 8GB model "can't be shipped to your address".

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Well, I just got a tracking number for the T8 I ordered. I guess this is actually happening. :shrug:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Honestly, the DS line is such a unique handheld design that I can't see really being able to emulate it properly without just straight up copying the layout and interface. Using a mouse pointer on a computer screen just doesn't work for me.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlothfulCobra posted:

It'd probably also be advisable to specifically copy the specific touchscreen technology that Nintendo used rather than trying to shoehorn the currently popular touchscreen technology into the DS's functionality.

At which point I guess the best option is probably just to buy and crack an old 3DS to get all the functionality.

This is my take. I have a 2 x DS Lites, a DSi, and an XL 3DS to run all my DS family crap off of.

But really, the LCD tech and digitizers are pretty cheap to purchase online. Someone would just have to design a motherboard with modern chipsets and ports to make it workable. Of course, that's not close to being easy. But it probably the best starting point.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

stephenthinkpad posted:

I ordered the same day as Marcus (15th), got it yesterday.

But i can't find my own europe plug adopter, the one I ordered along with the n100 is still somewhere in China lol.

It doesn't have a USBC power plug, it has a laptop type round plug (2.5A 12V)

This is why you want to keep all the wall warts from all the random electronics you collect over the years. You'll always need a 12V/3A barrel plug eventually. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I plan on installing Lakka on mine. Not as fancy but super light and can help get some extra oomph to the higher end emulators.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Got my Firebat in. Time to see what this puppy can do. :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok. Spent the last couple evenings setting up my T8, and straight up, this thing is a little powerhouse. It's great.

Flashed it to Debian 12 right after taking it out of the box. I decided to forego an all-in-one emulator front like Lakka/Batocera/etc because I also intend to eventually set it up as a media server, and it gives me generally more flexibility. I loaded Retroarch, Dolphin, PPSSPP, and PCSX2 up for testing. Went with default settings on most in order to get a baseline on how everything runs. N64 off Retroarch is smooth as glass. Same with PPSSPP and trying out Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Birth By Sleep.

Dolphin (GC only, haven't tried Wii) and PCSX2 are somewhat hit-and-miss but are generally very good. Rouge Squadron 2 and 3 off Dolphin gave me some minor slowdown during transitions and some audio tearing during intense 3D scenes. Less intensive games like Viewtiful Joe had zero problems. One odd issue is the controller will stop providing inputs for some games if I try to load them after having closed out of a different game. Really weird.

As for the PS2, I got a decent amount of audio and video slowdown when I loaded up the Armored Core games. Persona 3 FES had very minor audio clipping but no other issues. God Hand ran perfectly. And the DDR games were actually emulated well enough that I could actually sync the arrow chart with the music just using the games' internal offset feature (which is a first for me trying to emulate those drat things).

I'm sure I can get things running a helluva lot smoother, but I need to start tweaking settings which I'm not terribly knowledge about. Time to start digging into some documentation.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I just found my PS Vita.....that I had thought I had sold when I bought a Switch a few years back. What do people do with these things now? Is there a system that they are particularly good at emulating that I can't do on a 35xx or RG505? Is there an easy hack available? It's a PCH1001 system.

I like the Vita, personally. As trite as it may sound, it is really the best way to play PSP and, well, Vita games. It does everything up to PSX really well. Haven't tried Saturn on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Installing the custom FW on the Vita was way too easy. I can see why people love their Vita's now.

Vita means life.