Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Has anyone tried “Prior Big Box” shipping from Ambernic directly? It’s fast shipping for a very low price. It seems like there has to be a catch? And does anyone know whether buying from Ambernic or Amazon effects if the device comes preloaded with games?

Edit: Do I need two SD cards to use 351Elec on the 351V?

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Sorry to keep asking about this, but as a follow up: I bought a big SD card to go with the 351V. Can I take the SD card that comes with it out, install the new one with 351Elec to the first slot, and then just throw the existing SD card into the second slot to use whatever games came preloaded on it?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

The 351v is pretty awesome. Installed 351Elec Reborn on it.

I am getting a few weird stutters in stuff like FF V Advanced. But nothing too awful. I haven’t tried changing cores or anything. Just letting the OS handle all that so far.

I could almost see myself falling even more in love with a 351v that was about 1.5x bigger.

Could I pick your brain about the steps you took to install it? I did the following and am left with a device that starts up to a blank screen:

1) Flashed the latest reborn image to a Samsung 128GB SD card using balenaEtcher.

2) Made sure device was off and removed both existing SD cards from the 351V.

3) Inserted the freshly flashed samsung card into slot 1 of the 351V.

4) Held the power button to turn it off.

5) see it display some kind of tiled version of the startup screen and reboot itself.

6) Device hangs at a blank screen for 10+ minutes, so I turn it off by holding the power button.

7) When I remove the card and put it into my computer, I see it has the OS and Games partitions people say it should. However, it does nothing when inserted into the device.

Am I doing something obviously wrong here?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

I think had the same issue and felt ridiculous when I realized that I was flashing the 351p/m image and not the V specific image.

gently caress, you're totally right. Thank you so much!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Weirdly, now it's not creating the games partition when I pop the SD card in. I'm not sure what's going on here.

Update: I think this was a me problem because disk management showed the partition as being there but with no assigned drive letter. Assigned it one and it's showing up now!

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 2, 2021

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Got everything up and running and yeah this is a very satisfying device to use. Couple of lingering questions:

1) Is there a way to view the full metadata for a game after you scrape it? I notice it scrapes game descriptions but they're all cut off. I'm also wondering if I can choose to scrape the manual for one specific game. It seems like I miiight be able to do this by creating a collection, changing the scrape settings and then scraping those specific games.

2) Once in a game, am I correct in thinking input stuff and savestates are something I have to do purely through Retroarch? Or is there an in-game 351elec menu I'm not seeing?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I can vouch for the 351V being a good value option for SNES, GBA and PS1. It should run all of that stuff no problem, and the custom firmware (351Elec) is quite easy to use.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Photex posted:

Isn't the RK3588 supposed to be the next up?

https://youtu.be/d02fiFl3o1A

Holy poo poo that's fantastic. Would be amazing if I could buy that in a 351V sized device in a year or two. It helps that a lot of PS2 games use the d-pad and left stick interchangeably, though it'll get complicated with some of them of course.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

beep-beep car is go posted:

Tablet might work, but I like having integrated controls (do those slide on controllers like the Backbone and GameSIR work with tablets?). I'm also invested in the Apple prison pretty heavily and I don't want to jump through the "fake dev server" hoops for emulating on an iPhone/Pad

The other thing too is that emulation on even the newest iPad is not quite where it is on Android. I think it's because dynamic recompilation only recently became supported again? And I think you still have to jump through hoops for even that. I got an iPad for reasons other than emulation, but when I looked into it on a whim I was like drat I expected a lot more.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Taki's video is pretty wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poOk-zH2O6k

Its either a 90hz screen or some mythical 124hz screen lol

The build quality over all seems pretty fantastic as well

Man I did not expect this device to turn out so well at all. Glad Taki gave it a serious look.

Side note, is 8bitdo really pronounced 8 bit doo? I always thought it was do like 道, i.e. like "Way of the 8 bit" or something.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

On Android, that's true. On iPhone you have to jailbreak it to give emulators access to Just in Time compilation, which is how they can use their dynamic recompilers. I haven't tried it myself but it seems like a pain in the rear end.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

loopsheloop posted:

351V for 80 bux is a great deal on nice hardware, and I think it's different enough from a Deck that you could have both

I have these two as my main emu devices and they complement each other well. I mostly use the deck for multiplayer and PS2 and beyond games, while I use the 351V for anything older. And if I want to go from one to the other with the same game, I can just SSH to my 351V from the Steamdeck and grab my save files!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I use a 351V and a Steamdeck for retro games, but I haven't done any save syncing. What would be the easiest way to do that?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

zzMisc posted:

The easiest would probably be to use the JelOS or Amberelec firmware and set up rclone to sync with google drive or dropbox. There are details at https://github.com/JustEnoughLinuxOS/distribution/wiki/Using-Cloud-Drives and https://amberelec.org/guides/getting-to-know-amberelec.html#cloud-backup. Setting it up initially is going to require SSH'ing into the device to set up rclone.conf, but I believe it should 'just work' once it's set up. I haven't done this myself though.

Personally, because I'm way too in the weeds with this poo poo, I use scripts with winscp and its "synchronize" command from the PC. I set up a powershell script that checks for which devices are currently connected, generates a sync file, and kicks off winscp. That's, uh, probably more than most people want to deal with.

Also I have no idea how you'd sync with the Deck, on my Windows machines I just use syncthing but I don't know if you can use that in SteamOS.

I'm guessing this is kind of an all or nothing thing? Would my Steam Deck library and 351V library have to match?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

njsykora posted:

I don't think it's going to promote more advancement because the whole point of these mainstream Android gaming phones seems to entirely be trying to will more Android games into existance, which isn't happening. Yeah you can have all the power in the world but Genshin doesn't even have controller support on Android, that's how little companies seem to care about gaming on Android. And for emulation there's already more than enough power in most phones now to run PS2/GC stuff, everything else is software limited, and for game streaming you need roughly none of this power.

This does kinda make me wonder where the market's gonna go after enough people find their goldilocks handheld that emulates PS2/GCN/DC well enough with good buttons, screens and form factors. For stuff like the Steamdeck the path forward is Windows/Linux games, but I'm not sure many people are going to invest in these devices for Android gaming. Makes me wonder if we'll see more Steamdeck imitators later, using Linux/Proton setups.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

what's the cheapest one of these things that will run playstation games well?

There are reasons to get a Miyoo Mini+, an RG 351(V/P/M) or an RG353VS, which are all a little more expensive. But I think the clearest answer to this question is the RG35XX which is currently in stock and is $56 before shipping. It should run every PS1 game that does not require two analog sticks (so basically just not Ape Escape) flawlessly. If PS1 for cheap is your number one priority, I think this is the obvious answer.

Edit: While this still doesn't beat the price of a Miyoo or 35XX, and you still need to get the charger and a memory card, one of ya'll probably should jump on this: https://www.ebay.com/p/12028526109?iid=124898264526. Looks like there are a few ~$95 Vitas on Ebay. If they're in good condition that seems like a good deal.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 19, 2023

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

trufflefoo posted:

I feeling quite nostalgic for my old gameboy. I seem to have lost it in the house moves over the years.
What’s the best of the retro consoles, in the vertical/GB form factor?
Mini Plus?

Miyoo Mini Plus and RG35XX are probably the easiest recs, as they're among the cheapest options for their performance and they're quite small (both smaller than a Game Boy Pocket). Here's a comparison of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdo44c2HsQY

If you're willing to go a little higher, the RG353V is stronger, can stretch to newer consoles a bit more, and in my opinion is a more comfortable size. It's about the size of a Game Boy Color.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

The RP3S+ board in an RP2 shell seems like an amazing device. But there's no confirmation that this is what it is, right?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Rolo posted:

Not the same device but my 351V wouldn’t charge off of anything remotely high power, I had to use a USB-A to USB-C cable plugged into an old 1 amp iphone brick. It wouldn’t even do C to C charging off my MacBook.

Maybe try that?

This was my experience too. I ended up charging it off my Switch dock.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Yeah it seems like a given that if you've got an Anbernic, test them with your chargers before you rely on something to charge them while traveling or whatever.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

What kinds of things can the Vita emulate? I have not looked into it, but notice it's going for like $120 on ebay. It's obviously going to be a more premium experience overall, but I have no idea if getting one would increase my options significantly past what I do with an RG351V. I'm guessing it can play PS2 games, right?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Thanks for the responses!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Good lord, that’s well over $3,000 of hardware. Can those analogue pockets even share cloud saves with each other?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

TadBradley posted:

Anyone got recs for a good retro turn-based multiplayer game that could run on a miyoo mini? My wife and I are about to have a 14 hour flight, and it'd be nice to play something together that we could pass the miyoo back and forth on. Something like Mario, where multiplayer is just two alternating single-player runs, is less appealing than something where we're working together or against each other.

I hope I’m not too late, but motherfucking Battle Hunter on PS1. It’s a turn based multiplayer board game/dungeon crawler with progression between runs. You race your friends to treasure chests and try to escape with the key item before they or the monsters get you.

Also nthing Advance Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

The 360 is one of the few “retro” consoles I still keep not packed away lately since only my main pc can emulate it, and games are cheap.