Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Heads up, this OP and the handhelds mentioned are officially way out of date. These things release monthly now and the market is a bit saturated. Looking for your first one? As of 9/2/2023 you should google the:

-Miyoo Mini +
-Retroid Pocket 2S, 3+ and Flip
-Anbernic 405M, 405V and 353V

Also check out Russ at RetroGameCorps, his videos and reviews will discuss devices, setup, capabilities, etc.

On to the outdated OP!

quote:

You sent a payment of $90.00 USD to 深圳市驰晶科技有限公司
Please check your mail every 30-40 weeks.

After several similar PYF Purchase posts, someone decided that we should have a thread for third party handhelds. I know next to nothing about them so I figured I'd better be the one to post.

Also please be smart about :filez: or posts that can get us yelled at.

:woof:Valuable Resources:woof:

:v: If you want to get into the nitty gritty and see a million amateur photos of things go check out the SBC Gaming subreddit at https://www.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/

:v: Worth noting specifically, there's a giant public spec sheet and they're still updating it today: https://www.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/dcy889/emulation_handhelds_specifications_spreadsheet/

:v: Russ with RetroGameCorps does great work documenting these. The more we all learn about these systems the more we like his videos. He also has a cat named Chicken. Check it out:
https://retrogamecorps.com/category/reviews/

:woof:Here's Some of the Most Popular Picks as of 11/5/2021::woof:

The order I put these in doesn't mean anything, they all have ups and downs so choose what you think will spark the most joy.

Retroid Pocket 2 (and say hello to the 2 plus!)

RetroDoDo review and info: https://retrododo.com/retroid-pocket-2/

-Android OS (Comes with an install executable for their own front-end emulator software, which works ok)
-Quad ARM A7, capable of handling PS1, N64, some Dreamcast and backwards
-3.5" IPS at 640x480
-WiFi
-Bluetooth 4.0
-HDMI out

A great system if A) it doesn't look stupid to you and B) you want something more customizable with a steeper learning curve. There are reports of input delay with anything Android so have fun messing with RetroArch. I got mine working fine.

UPDATED Fun Fact about these: Retroid is selling an upgraded version which they're calling the Retroid Pocket 2+. It's the same exact shell with a touch screen, much faster PCB and totally reworked front-end. Supposedly it handles up to and including some GameCube! In what is another cool move, they're letting you buy the PCB and Screen separately to do the upgrade yourself to save on money and plastic waste. What's not to love about that?

Anbernic RG351V

RetroMimi info: https://retromimi.com/blogs/news/rg351v

-It's vertical
-Quad RK3326 1.5Ghz chip
-3.5" IPS at 640x480
-Likely a similar software experience to the RG351
-WiFi
-Twin MicroSD slots

I think this would work best for people who want the RG351 series in a GameBoy shell with a better screen. Note the one-less stick on the right as a lot of people consider it a deal breaker.

Anbernic RG351MP

https://retrogamecorps.com/2021/10/13/final-review-anbernic-rg351mp/

-Basically blends the RG351P, M and V
-Durable, high quality metal shell
-Quad RK3326 1.5Ghz chip
-3.5" IPS at 640x480
-Dual SD system

This is a hard hitter until the RK3326 is downright replaced. It looks beautiful and I personally love the dual SD system they're using. You can keep your roms on card2 and reflash card1 every time you brick RetroArch you IDIOT.

Anbernic RG351M and RG351P

RetroDoDo review and info: https://retrododo.com/rg351p/

-Comes in a metal version (RG351M)
-Quad RK3326 1.5Ghz chip, similar to the RP2 chip from what I can tell
-3.5" IPS at 480x320 (notably not great)
-Open source Linux operating system
-Vibrates!

It's a slightly older design at this point but they still work well and are probably going on good sales.

??? Chicken Boy

-Comes with a lanyard
-Smokes weed
-Don't buy one

WHAT ABOUT WINDOWS HANDHELDS??

They're becoming more popular lately but yes you can basically buy a windows PC that looks like a giant bootleg Switch. They can basically do what a laptop can do and cost the better part of a grand.

Can I just hack my 3DS or Switch to do most of this?

Yep but there's a much better thread specifically for giving Nintendo the finger and getting your Online account banned, and as soon as I find it I'll link it! Maybe buy Search so I don't have to!

The SteamDeck is officially a thing!

It sure is! It's a large expensive boy that will be shipping... sometime? Feel free to talk about it here when deciding what you want to play Claymates on, but it does have it's own thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713

Edit: keep your dog poo poo PSP chat out of here or else. gently caress you and gently caress your PSP.

Edit2: PSP chat is now fine.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Here’s my post in PYF about Retroid’s shipping method.

quote:

For those ordering the Retroid Pocket 2, you should note that there’s a (silly) way to make sure your order ships with DHL instead of the stock 4PX, which apparently takes longer and transfers to the USPS. You know, the thing Trump and his goons are destroying.

1. They have a DHL ship token in their store for a dollar. You put one of these in your cart and change the quantity to 15 so you’re paying an extra 15 bucks for the better shipping. This is the fun way. If you’ve already placed your order like I did you can:

2. Just email them saying you want to swap to DHL. They’ll email you back in 1-2 days saying yeah sure and you’ll get a PayPal request for 15 additional bucks.

It’s a little extra work and coin but apparently can save weeks of shipping time.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 24, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Wait is that $15 on top of the $10 regular shipping?

Also this coupon code I got from a retro gaming discord saves $5

YEJJD

Yeah on top of it. Shipping was 25 bucks total but at least I didn’t pay sales tax :v:

Warbird posted:

How’s the buying experience? I’m used to getting stuff from random folks in China due to hating money and mechanical keyboards so I’m curious how it shapes up.

I don’t think anyone has gotten theirs yet but giving money was easy!

So far the entire experience gets a 50/100, which is almost a D!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I’m going to wait 6 months until we get some trip reports before I buy, but I really hope these are sweet. I’d rather buy one of these for $100 than try to track down an advance and a flash cart to play mother 3.

There are so many GBA games I missed by not having one back in the day.

I love my Switch but I hate Nintendo for drip feeding a tiny list of classic games you have to pay a subscription for. Just let me play Mario RPG you idiots, I’ll give you money!

Edit: also there are people that ordered the RP2 early and received it. They’re simply on a shipping hiatus until 8/25 when the new colors also ship. Some people on r/Retroid are posting pics and impressions of theirs.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 25, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
According to reddit, there was official word that there’s a bit of slowdown at Retroid from covid and a flood of orders of the new colors but shipping should continue within a couple days.

If anyone gets a ship notification with any of the new retro/indigo units :justpost:

Rolo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 29, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks for sharing, I didn’t know which Mother 3 version to get because I’ve never played it but that thread seems to answer that.

Here’s some announcements, in picture form! Get those pinch to zoomers out.

Another announcement made on Reddit is that they’re shipping out 600 boxes a day starting today. Bittersweet news is that they were bombarded with roughly 10,000 orders when the cool retro colors dropped.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I guess if something is shipping from China it’ll happen in the middle of the night in the US?

Should start seeing some shipping notifications soon.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

wandler20 posted:

Got my shipping confirmation last night! Paid extra for the DHL so we'll see how long it takes now.

When did you order? I did on 8/22 and nothing yet.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m just going to assume that the indigo is extra popular then.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I ordered my Indigo Retroid 2 on 8/24 and didn’t get any kind of notifications until just this morning. I got a text from DHL saying they have a box from HK on the way. It’ll apparently be here Friday.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m really glad now I switched to DHL. 4 days from Hong Kong to my mailbox is nuts if it works out.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I may have posted it but there’s a r/Retroid subreddit that has a compiled guide/advice sticky.

If you don’t want serious customization, I think you just run the Retroid app that’s preinstalled. A common hiccup is that you have to connect to the WiFi again once you load it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Mine showed up 2 days early.

Somehow this thing got to me from HK in 2 days.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The retroid app really is an easy way to dive in, but I think I’m going to take my time customizing this thing with a bigger card.

For one, I can’t get games to save with Retroid. Just save states, which is fine but my immersion!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can you set Retroarch to boot on startup?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Retroid 2 owners, I totally botched my Retroarch config file because it’s set to auto save on quit.

Can anyone find a way to share the stock config file that came with the system?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

TVs Ian posted:

On PC, you can just delete the config file and it’ll regenerate with the defaults next time you start it up. Can you access it in the file system on Android?

Maybe! I’ll try that

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
lol WELP I bricked my RP2. I somehow made the physical buttons not work on startup so I tried the reflashing tool and img recommended by Retroid, which crashed halfway through and now it’s black screen only.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok so I was wrong. I really thought black screen, no lights and no buttons doing anything meant bricked, but I took it apart, pulled the battery for 5 minutes and put it back together. It booted enough after that to hit a loop but the flash toolkit was able to find/flash it.

I think I’m back in business.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

roobots posted:

Heads up for anyone considering an RP2, your experience may vary but it has slight input lag that is game breaking for me. It's fine for games that are less twitchy, but no every NES/SNES platformer feels off. Supposedly this is a common issue across Android based portable emulators, which is surprising seeing as the community seems to be pushing more in that direction due to emulators running more efficiently on slower hardware when using Android. RP2 is set to get an update from Android 6 to Android 8 in late October, so I'm hoping that addresses the issue. My understanding is that the Linux based systems (i.e. RG350) don't have this issue, so I'll be ordering one to test that out.

I’m getting no (noticeable) input lag now that I have Retroarch working again with the stock controller configuration. Only weird thing is Pokemon Sapphire. When I press a direction the character faces that direction and takes a split second to start walking towards it. Did the original game do that?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah that's just how it works. I think all the older Pokemon games are like that

Then I think I’m officially good. At this point I’m just customizing wallpapers and trimming the fat out of my rom folders. I probably won’t break it again.

Time to play Metroid Fusion and Aria of Sorrow!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Now that I have it properly running, the only downside in that list I’m hitting is placement.

At the moment I’m catching up on ~2 decades of Pokémon so using the stick isn’t an issue. I legit cannot pick up any input delay though, specifically in ps1 games. I’m already at the 5th level in Parappa.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Slimy Hog posted:

Ehh, I feel like this thread is low traffic enough that PSP chat could fit in here.

Yeah totally. I made the thread for all that jazz, just couldn’t think of a better title.

Edit: updated the bottom of the OP to reflect it.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 22, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah it’s wild, mine showed up to the states in 2 days. I didn’t even get the shipping email from GoRetroid until a week after that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I was really tempted to sell my SNES and get one of these because I'm trying to downsize for a move, but these QA issues have me worried.

I have no input lag and everything except N64 was working out of the box. My flashing issue was because I

-Messed it up my dumb self
-Flashed it with a USB port on a brand new motherboard that is giving me issues with lots of stuff.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can I get away with Pokémon black/white on a single screen and no touch? I assume I can rig a trigger to flash the screens back and forth?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Slimy Hog posted:

Yeah, people recommend drastic and mapping that to a trigger. I'm not sure about that specific game, but you can find lists online of ds games that are okay to play with one screen.

Thanks for the heads up. Got Drastic for 5 bucks off the play store and it works right out of the box with the roms I have. Lots of screen and control customization options.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bogart posted:

What was y'alls turnaround time using DHL for the RP2? I'm at 16 days without any indication of progress besides the original confirmation emails.

I got nothing until DHL sent me a shipping notification via text. I got my order 2 days later. Then a week after that I got a message from Retroid saying it had shipped. So yeah their update system great.

The time between ordering and shipping was roughly 3 weeks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’d probably buy another if they’d make an atomic clear purple.

Also, is there a simple program for cloning an image of mine? Now that I have the settings and rom lists perfect I’d like to hide a backup somewhere just in case I ever need to replace it (or I break the OS again.)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got any pics or links?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
drat that’s cool looking.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Been having fun with this so far. SNES stuff works fine on the snes9x 2002 (or whatever it is) core. Except Mario World, which feels... off? Idk, any time I have ever emulated SMW it never felt like a cart. Everything else always works fine. And I finally got to play Castlevania Circle of the Moon which is cool. It controls rather stiff but I think that's just the game rather than the emulator

Whatever of Sorrow is another good GBA CV game.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Symphony is so so good and the PSX core with Retroarch on these things runs it really well so far.

Absolutely play that, anyone that hasn’t, it’s up there with Super Metroid.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve had 0 input lag and have been enjoying lots of SNES, GBA and PSX on my RP2.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Has anyone jumped on the RG351P yet? I’m happy with my RP2 but there have been some cool OS updates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBYMKrf775o&feature=youtu.be

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The Retroid Pocket 2 has HDMI out and Bluetooth, so it’s sort of a bootleg Switch you can run on your tv.

It comes preloaded with a front end that has games on it but it’s typically recommended to just use Retroid (preloaded) and your own roms.

They also have wicked awesome new colors they’ve dubbed “funtastic”.

Aside from that, Pi stuff is really cool and looks like fun to tinker with, I want one someday.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve noticed 0 input lag on my RP2 and outside of the initial learning curve it’s been amazing.

Build quality and performance have been exactly what I was wishing it would be.

Edit: more specific to your current post, I got mine specifically for GBA, SNES AND PSX. GBA took me finding a Retroarch core that it agreed with but both SNES and PSX didn’t take any work to run perfect.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 5, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Moot .1415926535 posted:

These PlayStation style controllers aren’t cutting it for my Street Fighter needs, is there a controller that anyone recommends for SNES games?

What console are you using? If you have Bluetooth just get an 8bitDo. You can even pick it up from Best Buy.

Speaking of SNES, half of me wants to get one of these to be strictly an SNES console.

https://retromimi.com/products/pocketgo-s30

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone here have an RG351? I’m thinking of getting one. The retroid 2 is great but I wanna swap the D-pad with the stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

bowmore posted:

It's good.

I'll look into it then! I'll use it as an excuse to brush up on newer devices and refine the OP.