Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I've been going back and forth on buying one of the 351 series of handhelds for a while. My concerns mostly stem from the shoulder buttons. How are they for playing games where the shoulder buttons and triggers are used a ton, like Mega Man Legends or Armored Core?

Also, maybe this thread could help, is there a way to get RetroAchievements to work for PS1 games on the Vita? I would probably just stick with the Vita if that was possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

not sure how it looks cheap compared to any of the other non metal devices, is there something i'm not seeing? the shoulder button layout is certainly a plus imo.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

all i'm reading is that it doesnt take design cues from our lord and savior Apple Inc. therefor cheap

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Manufacturers haven’t topped the rg280v yet :colbert:

beer gas canister posted:

it's truly the sexiest in class bar none

eh i think the Miyoo Mini is a way better looking handheld in that form factor

havent played either but it looks more comfortable too

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Rolo posted:

Are Miyoo’s still hard to find? I think I’m ready to buy.

Official Miyoo store on Aliexpress was just restocked a couple days ago. Looks like stock went from like 1000 to around 200 in that time so they might not be there for long.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003611677275.html

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I think this is the one RGC recommended specifically:

https://www.amazon.com/Luck-Lab-Single-Leather-Playing/dp/B07ZG58CYN/

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Rolo posted:

Oh god which color do I want oh man…

Edit: I was leaning towards the retro grey and that’s all they have so trigger pulled. I didn’t realize these are only 60 bucks when from the actual store, that’s a no brainer. I love my 351V but why not have something a little smaller in my day bag.

re: miyoo mini

Could you post when it's shipped? I ordered from someone that said they had stock in the US about a month ago and I've had a 'label created' tracking number for 2 weeks now. Thinking about cutting my losses and ordering from Miyoo Official.

Also, looks like they just got more stock, white and grey.

Not sure if it was mentioned but Miyoo notes the new stock are slightly different to past models:

- Full Lamination Screen
- 2000mAh Double Protection High Density Polymer Battery

The screen thing is odd because I've read in other places the old version had a laminated screen as well.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 14, 2022

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

The MiyooMini I ordered in March showed up today and I have to agree with everyone saying it's really good. The screen is awesome and playing games that just use the face buttons is surprisingly quite comfortable. Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about the shoulder buttons. Tried playing some Mega Man Legends and my hands were confused and in pain enough to make me give up before making it through the tutorial dungeon. Will try again with something that doesn't use shoulder buttons for movement.

Only issues I've encountered since installing OnionOS have been with MAME, there just isn't a whole lot of documentation on what works and what doesn't so it could be user error. DoDonPachi works perfectly and I got Tetris: The Grand Master 2 to boot and play once but now it's just not starting for some reason. Anyone else come across anything like this?

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 26, 2022

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Tetris was mentioned a few times in that post on a few different platforms but I have to throw Tetris DX (GBC) into the mix for it's 40 Lines mode. Such a fun / quick way to play Tetris that fits perfectly on a lot of these devices that you may be using for short bursts of gameplay.

Wish someone would make a romhack without all the goofy post-game animations so I could quickly hop back into the game. At least fast forward exists.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Manky posted:

Tetris romhacks? Do check out rosy retrospection of the og tetris gb.

lol nice, you can tell I didn't look into it at all because here is exactly what I wanted: Tetris DX: Skip Celebrations

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

MarcusSA posted:

So I guess there is a Miyoo mini v2 now?

RGC should be doing a review of it soon.

If you ordered in the last couple months it's the one you have, just has a different battery and screen lamination.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I actually just ordered a RP2+ for retro achievements and games that require heavy use of the shoulder buttons, which are painful for me to use on the MiyooMini. I think they'll make a strong team.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

That appears to be the MIYOO Official Store which seems to be fairly quick and reliable based on my experience and everything I've read.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Science_enthusiast posted:

Got my miyoo mini yesterday and after the initial shock of it being somehow smaller than i expected, i love it. Got onion fired up and its great-

Only issue is half my ps1 games dont show up- they are all bin/ cue format, and all the regular variables im aware of dont seem to come i to play (nested directories, loads of bin files etc) anyone have any insight in to this?

I would rather not have to convert everything to pbp (which as far i can tell works without exception)

All my bin/cue games are in their own subfolders. To get the simple stuff out of the way, you've tried manually refreshing the rom list for the console (press menu button while PSX is selected) and you have your games in the PS directory? I accidentally added some stuff to the PSX directory and was confused when it wasn't showing up, not sure why that folder even exists.

Looking at the issues board on GitHub it seems like games in subfolders with apostrophes or slashes aren't being found when refreshing the rom list. So like 'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater'.

I believe all the games should still show even if you don't have BIOS but I would also check that you have all of the ones listed on the OnionOS wiki. https://github.com/jimgraygit/Onion/wiki/2.-Onion-Emulators-&-Ports

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

My Retroid Pocket has been "On Its Way to USPS" from DHL for 4 days now so my opinion of them isn't super high right now. :(

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Rolo posted:

RG353M announcement, comes in purple and blue.

https://youtu.be/emmHq4V-BmU

Also I am totally here for the decision to announce it to a 2000’s rom-com track.

hall effect, whoa

love the deep purple colorway

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

OnionOS is really good and an often overlooked part of what makes the MiyooMini so good imo. From what I've read the Onion devs have had their hands on the new device for awhile so you'll be getting a good OS right out the gate.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Onion is better in every way.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

MarcusSA posted:

AliExpress is having a sale right now and if anyone was looking for a set top emulator you really can’t bes this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256805048523628.html

$85 for the 8/255 or $105 for the 16/512

It will do everything up to ps2 at 720p

https://youtu.be/DIhG9cTbYtY?si=KX2CXPrCbgiDXEXA

https://youtu.be/HPGeXF-yKqw?si=sOuh7ANYTkXRvOTR

Been waffling on an N100 box for awhile, pulled the trigger this time. Thanks for the heads up.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Marx Headroom posted:

I live in the US and AliExpress says it can't ship to my country. Am I missing something? :confused:

Also in the US and I just got a refund notice on the order I placed yesterday, no idea what's going on they didn't send any other communication.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Lamont posted:

Heads up, this suddenly became available to me in the UK so might have changed for other countries too!

Yeah it just let me order it again, lets see if this one gets cancelled like the last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

CRAYON posted:

Yeah it just let me order it again, lets see if this one gets cancelled like the last time.

Lol my N100 order was cancelled again. No idea why the hell they won't ship this thing to me. Never had this problem with Aliexpress before.