Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Deputy Exequiel de Heliotropo, member of the Education Committee and Judicial Appointment Committee in a statement given to El Trabajador Semanal for an article on the FCP's proposals for land reform.

"I will remark, first of all, upon the proposal made by Deputy Cobos, seeing as his is the shorter of the two. I applaud Sr. Cobos' in his zeal for real, immediate, radical change. But I fear he has not thought out the repercussions of his proposal in full. The creations of hundreds of thousands of small farms with no structure or support in place will lead to rampant land speculation, as the wealthy of Anthe offer families in desperate poverty a one-time relief to their troubles in exchange for several lifetime's worth of independence and financial security. For those farmers who are able to turn down an immediate payoff, they will face competition from massive estates with more workers, more machinery and more ties to the off-world market. Within a decade most will be forced to sell off their land, unable to survive while matching the lower prices their larger competitors can sell at. Finally, this plan by Sr. Cobos does nothing to alleviate the conditions of tenant farmers in Anthe. Even if we were to handout every square hectare of arable land there would still not be enough to provide every one of them with land immediately. The tragedy of Hawsha shows that we cannot simply wait on this issue.

Deputy Bouchareb's proposal is more nuanced, but while its problems may be different its ends are quite the same. Rather than gradual reform the FCP Decree on Land seeks to create immediate, massive, wide-ranging annexation of nearly all private and public land in Anthe and hand it over to municipal authorities, who would distribute land for use to individuals based on locally set rules. I see four outcomes from such a policy being passed.

First, the expropriation of land, without compensation, of dual citizens in Laibach or elsewhere will trigger Article Six of the Charter of the Themis Concordat. At best this would likely lead to Pallene demanding a more speedy payment schedule for our outstanding debt to them. At worst it would result in a military intervention to restore order, the aftermath of which might see Anthe become a complete and utter puppet to Pallene, who would undoubtedly restore land and power to the capitalists, perhaps with a nice payment of formerly-government land to compensate them for any damages incurred.

A second outcome is utter chaos, as the capitalists and estate holders refuse to cooperate with the law. Will the police enforce the law? In places, perhaps, but I fear many would not. The gendarme might refuse as well, or worse, side with the rich. I cannot be certain of the military either, such a sudden and shocking overturn of the economic order might make many question their loyalty to the government. Civil war, that most heinous of shadows, could be triggered. Once again I fear the intervention of Pallene under the auspices of 'restoring order'. They'd be well within their rights, under Article 8, were Anthe incapable of repaying its debts in the midst of a civil conflict.

A third, perhaps more likely, possibility is that the revocation of land ownership goes through, it is handed over to the municipalities and they are bought off by the landlords, who receive all of their land back, plus extra. The peasantry reach a deeper level of immiseration, the crisis deepens. The fourth possibility is that her highness the Queen vetoes the act, undermining her popularity with some portions of the peasantry. I would like to believe that Sr. Bouchareb is a good man and so I will assume that this is his end goal, and not any of those most horrible possibilities I have outlined. That he intends to damage her majesty's reputation and prevent the passage of reasonable first-step towards major land reform, rather than impoverish the tenantry or invite the wrath of the Concordat.

The plan created by the governing coalition is not intended to be a radical, immediate confiscation or redistribution of land, but a first step that alleviates the immediate miseries of the tenantry while providing some with a path to independence and security. It is hoped that the success of this program will provide a model for the future of communal farming in Anthe."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Manuel Cobos
Free Constitutionalist Party

First of all, let me address the criticisms by Mr. Heliotropo. He's a very fine man, with a strong attention to detail. I admire that about him. He's the kind of guy who can look at a speech and go, "Well, what about this, this, this, and this..." I think if you gave him a copy of the constitution and said it was your new bill, he'd come back with a document twice as long outlining all the problems with it. To him I say three things:

First, that a lot of the technical details can be worked out later. If he's willing to return to the Tri-Partisan Table, that is. I could have laid out a bunch of technical clauses, and section 3.A.(b)'s or whatever, but I figured that doing so right now would be a waste of everyone's time. Because I mean hey, maybe I don't win. Maybe the FCP wants to go in Seddik's direction after all. But if I win, and this plan has the opportunity to become reality, we can add all the safeguards we want. You want tax breaks, five year minimums, rights of first refusal, or things like that? Let's talk about it.

Second, on the topic of rent relief, as I mentioned in my speech I want my plan to build off the Tri-Partisan Plan that we were working on. Or, if you're willing, integrate my ideas into a new Tri-Partisan Plan. The reason I didn't go into detail about rent relief for tenant farmers? I like what's already been said. Cap rents at forty percent. Provide relief for tenants. Stop these rampant abuses, and regulate these working conditions. All of that's good. We're in complete agreement on that part.

And third, on the specific topic of farmers possibly re-selling their lands. Well, I should say that the new farmers won't be entirely on their one. For one, we can give them tax breaks and assistance until they get on their feet. And we could work with existing associations to help them. Do you remember the High Constitutional Court case on PB-13? The "Juan" case? That was brought to the court by a group called the Anthen Agricultural Association who, if you remember, represent over 10,000 Anthen farmers. There's support structures out there. We can work with them to provide all the help and assistance that these new independent farmers will need. We can work with our bank, too. The one that your government just nationalized. We could provide low-interest, long-term loans to give these farmers the capital they need to get started. You know this kind of assistance is possible, because you have several clauses in your own bill about government aid for your communes. The difference between your idea and my idea, is that my plan doesn't try to put people in situations where they still have to share their land and income with their neighbors.

This is the most important difference, and I know a man as smart as you understands it. It's what people want, and it's also what they deserve. When people cry out for land, they're not crying out for these big, complicated communes. They want their own farms, for their own households. And we can make that happen. It doesn't even cost us anything.

And yes, some of them might turn around and sell their farms a while later, but you know what? That's fine. We'll cut out all the obvious loopholes, of course. I know you and I are smart enough to be able to do that. We can put rules and guidelines in there, to cut out obvious avenues for fraud and make sure people don't get exploited. But if someone takes this new, untouched land, works it for a few years, improves it, turns it into a farm, and the sells it, you know what that makes them? A real estate developer. They've accomplished the dream. And turned this land grant into basically a giant stimulus check, at no cost to us. And that's fine with me.

And of course, if you're willing to sit down and talk about it, we can put all the additional clauses, guidelines, and assistive programs in there you want to make sure that these new farmers have the best chances they can. But what's important to me, is that we do this in a way that helps individual households own their own land. And that they can get their land for free. Those are the two things that are important to me.

Are you willing to help make it happen?

---

And, of course, there are also the words said by my good friend and colleague, Mr. Bouchareb. Seddik's a very smart man, and what he's said here are some very smart words on the nature of liberty and monopoly. He could probably become a university professor if he ever got tired of the business of politics.

But I must strongly disagree with the actual argument he's making here. He argues that to end monopolies, we must nationalize. He says- actually, let me say that again: He says to end monopolies.... we have to nationalize things.

That's, well, a completely different understanding of the "monopoly" than I have. And I suspect that most of you have. A much more academic understanding. Because well, when I think of monopolies, I think of something different. I think about the government monopoly on trains. About the government monopoly on mines. About the government monopolies on heavy industry, telecommunications, and so on. About all the state-owned industries out there, that mainly exist to give the government complete control over entire sections of the economy. And keep the wealth concentrated in the hands of de Luna-era bureaucrats.

Monopolization and nationalization go hand in hand. Ask a hundred people, and ninety-nine of them will agree.

You end monopolies by getting the government out, not in. Monopolies happen because the government barges in somewhere and starts saying, "okay, here's how things should be done." They stick their noses in, and they start picking winners and losers. They use all the power of the government to crush natural economic forces. That's what a monopoly is.

Seddik says that that there's no such thing as competition when it comes to land and farms. That there's no way to do things better. That's not true at all. The success of a farm isn't determined by God or by soil composition alone. There's many things people can do to make their farms more or less successful. Land can be plowed, fertilized, cultivated. Crops can be chosen specifically to suit the needs of the soil, and the conditions of the market. People can work harder and longer to make sure that their farm succeeds. That is the difference between a successful farmer and an unsuccessful one.

You want to end the land monopoly? Get the state out of the business of land ownership. Give it to the people. Let them own their own land, and let them compete on the market.

And as for the matter of practicality, the same thing I said to Mr. Heliotropo. The people want their own land. The best way to get the support of the people is to listen, and just give it to them. We have all these landless laborers clamoring for their own household farm. Why deny them? Let them become landowners, let them have a stake in the matters of business and property. Turn the landless class into a new rural middle class.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 10, 2020

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

From the Times of Anthe, which would like to request you stop mailing us death threats and look up what "newspaper of public record" means:

quote:

The following is a republished version of a letter sent to the Queen, First Secretary, and Secretary of State, by the League Ambassador Ozkar Leuzipo Solagarai, Marquess of Itsa Hegia.

To Josephine Isabel de Beira y Metis, Honored Queen of Anthe, Guardian and Sovereign of the Serene Crown, Prince-Elector of the Hesperian March, greetings. I write in the name of my sacred and wise master and lord, Erlantz Polion Irlaitz, the illustrious Master of the League, ever exalted, who wishes me to relay this message to Your Highness, peace be yours.

That there is one Holy, Common, Universal League of peoples, and that outside this union of sovereign and pious crowns there is no peace nor order, I am bound to believe and hold, for such is the sum of what little wisdom God has granted me through the experience of my life and travels.

That the Serene Crown of Anthe and you, as its sacred representative and sovereign, are an essential part of this Universal League, as our common languages, faiths, and history show, I am also bound to confess as simple and easily observable fact.

It is my wish, and my Master's wish, that we repair the long and artificial divide between our families and crowns, in the name of honoring the sacred order of things. It is the belief of my Master that the territories and lands which once constituted that entity known as the Hesperian March, of which Anthe was once regarded as its capital, remains, and can only remain, forever, an essential part of our Universal League, and that the favor of the people of this region and their participation in the League's affairs is as necessary to the latter as food or water is to man, and that without it the League will eventually perish as surely as a man without food or water will die.

A League without the Hesperian March, my Master has been known to say, is like the sun without rays and fire without heat, and it is our most urgent wish that we once more clasp each other closely as family, or lord and servant.

In the order of the universe all things are not kept in order in the same fashion and immediately but both the lowest and the highest are ordered by the intermediate and inferiors by superiors.

My Master wishes to re-establish his person and office as the master and superior of the Hesperian March, in order to defend its sacred rights and privileges against its many enemies, foremost among them those who hold all sacred laws in contempt, seeking only wealth, and display their hideous rejection of Good by holding their fellow brothers in chains.

In the same way, my Master wishes to become the stalwart protector and guardian of Your Majesty, to repair the long and unnatural estrangement of our lands, and to likewise defend Her rights and person.

To this end, and freely admitting that the issue of succession and election has begun to weigh on the mind of my Master, in consideration of his advanced age, we invite Her Majesty to exercise her sacred office as Prince-Elector of the League once more, and to bring the number of Electors to nine, as it once was in ages past.

My Master recognizes the sacred right of Her Majesty to this title, and to the suzerainty of Anthe over the whole of the Hesperian March (the territories known now as Corrientes, Ashtabula, the Duchy of Grand Cloud, Laibach, and Anthe).

In a gesture of charity and goodwill we have already gifted Her Majesty a sizeable sum, and a fine vessel of war; my Master now decrees that Anthe's debts to the Biberachi banking houses be waived at his expense.

May our good actions be sufficient proof of our desire to see our people bound once more in sacred union.

My Master extends once more his gracious invitation to any land under his protection, so that Her Majesty may observe firsthand the benefits of life ordered according to sacred law and the long established traditions of order and common good.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

From La Diccionaria, a popular radio news program:

quote:

Host: Your Majesty, what wonderful stories from the country. Perhaps you could tell us your opinion about what is to be done on the land question? It is certainly dominating the political sphere.

Josephine Isabel: I am honored, but must decline. It is not proper for me to speak on political issues, of course. I trust in the ability of the House of Deputies, and in the democratic process.

Host: Of course. Still, many look to your wisdom. Could you at least offer what you think the mood of the countryside is? What are people out there thinking, that you think does not get reported in our city newspapers?

Josephine Isabel: I can only speak to what I have observed with my own eyes, and heard with my own ears. Certainly my impression is not even a small part of the real whole. However, what I saw made one thing quite clear, at least to me: the sole ambition of the Anthen farmer at the present time appears to be to become the owner of a small part of land, where she can erect a humble home for her household, and live there in peace and security at her own free will and pleasure. If she wishes to cultivate the ground, either to feed her family or grow crops which can be sold at market, she wishes to be able to do so without anyone to dictate to her hours or a system of labor. To do so, free from any outside control or coercion -- that is their idea, their desire, and their hope.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Manuel Cobos

quote:

JULIAN SITU, SANTO AUSPITZ ELECTED NCP LEADERS
National Construction Party chooses new leadership after closed-door election process

The National Construction Party announced to widespread applause in the House of Deputies today that they have chosen a new set of leaders. Julian Situ will run the NCP as Chairman, and Santo Auspitz will be joining him as Vice Chairman. This announcement was the first public news about the NCP's leadership contest, which has been going on behind closed doors since the tragic wounding of former NCP leader Carolina de Oliveira y Vidre, Countess of San Saturnino. Also running in the contest was Alexio Espindola, who broke the news about Situ's victory.

The leadership campaign was secretive, but by all accounts cordial and gracious. After announcing the results, both Situ and Espindola took the time to thank each other for their courtesy during the campaigning.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 11, 2020

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

For immediate press release:

quote:

DIC investigators have made a breakthrough in the investigation of the six murders committed by fringe paramilitaries last October.

Ballistics reports from the crime scenes identified the make and model of the murder weapons in the two shootings, which were identified as standard issue sidearms used by Gendarme officers. Our investigators followed leads connected to the resale of decommissioned Gendarmerie weapons, and found that a sizable purchase of firearms had been made two days before the murders by a merchant in the nearby town of Mossoro, though the details of the purchase were purposefully either falsified or obfuscated by both the seller and purchaser, and that the reseller had made illegal modifications to the weapons intended to obfuscate their origin and any identifying markers.

Upon further questioning, the seller identified the purchasers as four men with distinguishing neck and hand tattoos that marked them as members of fraternal organizations which claim sympathy with the Gendarmerie's law enforcement duties (such fraternal organizations have never been encouraged or tolerated by Security personnel), but use illegal means to advance a fringe political agenda including murder and extortion.

Cross-referencing Security records of all known members of these organizations in the area at the time drew up two names, and the men were immediately placed under surveillance. Simultaneously, routine surveillance of all all ex-DCI personnel involved in financial transactions above a certain amount flagged a transaction of A$4,000 made to one of men by an ex-analyst previously suspected of fringe sympathies.

At coordinated times, DIC personnel raided the homes of all three men. The ex-DCI analyst was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, apparently committed simultaneously with the police making their entrance. Four men in total were apprehended at the three locations, all with tattoos matching the merchant’s description. The house was also filled with supremacist literature and propaganda material, and even attempted correspondence with Steel Pact Deputies’ offices, though these seemed to be politely rejected with form-letter type responses. The four men are now in DIC custody. Another civilian (a relative of one of the men) also present at one of the locations was fatally wounded by police after failing to make their presence known and failing to obey police commands, and died at the scene.

More detailed copies of this report have been given to the Security Secretary, and charges of murder and accessory to murder have been made to the Office of Justice.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 12, 2020

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

From the Times of Anthe:

quote:

High Constitutional Court issues surprise ruling on PB-41

In a swift ruling, the High Constitutional Court struck down several articles of the recently passed 'Rights of the Accused Act' on the grounds that the bill could not precede the state's basic constitutional responsibility to maintain public order and guarantee the safety of the people of Anthe.

In a 6-1 ruling, Chief Justice Gen of Division (Ret.) the Baron Rubianes wrote that: "the basic purpose of the Constitution and state of Anthe is to ensure and maintain public order and the security of the Anthen people. The basic constitutional responsibility of the government, and those institutions, agencies, and individuals which carry out law enforcement operations in its name, is the same. This responsibility cannot be abridged by legislation which seeks to either place law enforcement duties outside of those bodies charged with upholding law enforcement and the justice system, or else dictate terms to those bodies which would impede their duties. The bill under review, PB-41, contains several articles which are in breach of this basic responsibility of the state and would therefore constitute an unconstitutional constraint on those institutions charged with maintaining public order and safety.

In observing this responsibility, the Court finds that those offending sections of PB-41 be struck down or altered.

First, Article I shall have the sentence "All arrests or detentions by the various law enforcement agencies must be reported to the elected officials of the municipalities or parishes in which they occur within 8 hours," stricken.

Second, Article II shall have the sentence "Within 48 hours any detainee must be brought before a judge and arraigned," stricken.

Third, Article III shall have the portion, "or communicating with their family," stricken.

Fourth, Article V shall be stricken.

Currently existing channels for redress of injury, such as personal lawsuits seeking compensation for excessive or illegal police force, already provide our society with a sufficient mechanism for police accountability without deforming or hindering the public safety, which the state and its servants are constitutionally bound to protect to the best of its ability. These mechanisms are designed to calmly provide justice, without inflaming passion or providing a platform for demagogues or agitators."

Justice Dona Myriam de Oliveira y Vidre was the lone vote to dissent, but declined to author a minority opinion, with the explanation that her sister's hospitalization and care required her full time and attention.

For immediate press release:

quote:

DIC investigators and local police coordinate to bring Laguna barracks bombers to justice

Through detective work, surveillance, and tips provided by anonymous informants, DIC investigators determined the identity of two individuals suspected of the October bombing of a Gendarmerie barracks in Laguna that killed twelve. Cross-referencing Security records, investigators discovered that these two individuals were already flagged as sympathizers and possible recruits by terrorist paramilitary organizations, and placed the individuals under further surveillance. This surveillance confirmed the existence of a local terrorist network, aligned with the Action Organization (Militant), which routinely engaged in intimidation, extortion, weapons smuggling, and political violence including the October bombing.

In coordination with Laguna municipal police and the local garrison's military aviation brigade, DIC teams waited for the individuals to meet with the leaders of the terrorist network at a rural compound which the network used as a headquarters and depot. DIC teams then surrounded the compound and broadcast an order to peacefully surrender. The terrorists responded by opening fire on the DIC teams, wounding two members of the Laguna municipal police (both officers are expected to survive their wounds). The compound was swiftly leveled by aerial support provided by the military aviation brigade assets acting in support, and DIC teams secured the remains of seven suspects, six of whom were matched to the DIC's local blacklist of individuals known to provide material support to terrorist organizations. Caches of weapons and explosive were also recovered from the scene, and DIC technicians established that the network was in possession of the exact same type of explosives used in the October bombing.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 13, 2020

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

From the Times of Anthe:

quote:

Bureau of Ecology, Ecology Commission join forces, call for protections for 'Ape Island'

The Director of the Bureau of Ecology, as well as the members of the Ecology Commission, have issued a joint statement calling on the Government to recognize and preserve the habitat of the Great Anthen Ape on the small island of La Novia, some few dozen miles distant from Laguna. The island, also known as "The Island of the Apes" and "Ape Island", has remained uninhabited except for a lighthouse and its keepers. A seabed mining company's proposal to base operations on the island has drawn the strongly-worded recommendation from the two bodies, who call for the island to remain pristine and undamaged, so that the magnificent, friendly red-haired apes can continue to live undisturbed.

"We recommend in the strongest possible terms that the government permanently declare La Novia -- AKA Ape Island -- a protected ecological territory, and ban any kind of development or additional construction there except for zoologists' research cabins," read the statement. "The Great Anthen Ape is a beloved symbol of Anthe and a cultural touchstone for all Anthens. We must protect their only habitat as a gift for future Anthens, so that they may delight in the good-natured bumblings of these apes."

The Island of the Apes has featured in several books, films and plays, most famously in the landmark 3622 documentary Legend of the Ape. More recently, the island has featured in the very poorly reviewed television drama Escape from Ape Island!.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

:siren: Drafting session extended to 10/16 9 PM PST :siren:

kirsus
Oct 9, 2012

Buncha freaks. I'll kill you all. well you know, in theory #166

paarp
Lipstick Apathy

Irena Serrano
National Construction Party

PB-49, or ‘The Ape Island Protection Act’

Whereas the Great Anthen Ape is a proud symbol of Anthen Culture and is worthy of protection,
Whereas La Novia is the only natural habitat of this noble creature;
RESOLVED that:

1. The island of La Novia shall be declared a Protected Ecological Territory
2. As a Protected Ecological Territory, no development or construction shall be permitted, save for the following exceptions.
A. In the interest of scientific understanding research cabins may be constructed, maintained, and upgraded.
B. In the interest of maritime safety the lighthouse on the island and any infrastructure in place to support travel to and from La Novia may be maintained and upgraded.
3. Construction or upgrades are not permitted without approval from the Bureau of Ecology.
4. Maintenance shall be done as needed but must be recorded in a detailed log which must be presented to the Bureau of Ecology when requested.

kirsus fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 14, 2020

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

:siren: Drafting session extended to 10/16 9 PM PST :siren:

Just a brief update for the thread, I'm taking a week off of game stuff so the drafting session will be extended another week to 10/23. Thanks to all players for your patience.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

I just realized that coming back on the same day that the drafting session ends will give nobody time to catch up with things after a week off. Enjoy your weekend, drafting session extended until 10/26 9 PM PST! :siren:

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Aleixo Espindola,

quote:

PB-50 "Loyalty Day" Act
Whereas the Family is the heart of Anthen society, and
Whereas the Household is the heart of Anthen economy, and
Whereas the Queen is the heart of Anthen polity;

RESOLVED: That the first working day of August be designated the royal holiday “Loyalty Day”, so that

1. All nonessential government functions will be closed, and

2. Municipalities are instructed to plan whatever celebrations they deem appropriate to commemorate our Queen, our institutions, and the family ties among Anthens in which (sicut quod est superius) the greater organization of Anthen society is reflected.

3. Municipalities may apply to the Office of the Interior for funding.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

:siren: The Drafting Session has ended. The Voting Session begins now and continues until October 30th, 9PM PST :siren:

October - December 3641 Legislative Summary

Bills under Consideration

PB-44, or the Fair Tenantry and Land Distribution Act
PB-45, or the Security and Intelligence Oversight Committee Act
PB-46, or the Decree on Land Act
PB-47, or the Establishment of Local Police Forces Act
PB-48, or the Higher Education Expansion Act
PB-49, or the Ape Island Protection Act
PB-50, or the Loyalty Day Act

Amendments under consideration

A-4, Amendment to the Victim's Rights Act

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Santo Auspitz, the Bishop of Maravilla

PB-44, or the Fair Tenantry and Land Distribution Act - YEA.
PB-45, or the Security and Intelligence Oversight Committee Act - YEA.
PB-46, or the Decree on Land Act - NAY.
PB-47, or the Establishment of Local Police Forces Act - YEA.
PB-48, or the Higher Education Expansion Act - YEA.
PB-49, or the Ape Island Protection Act - YEA.
PB-50, or the Loyalty Day Act - YEA.

A-4, Amendment to the Victim's Rights Act - YEA.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Acero Amalden
Royalist Alliance

PB-47, or the Establishment of Local Police Forces Act - NAY.
PB-50, or the Loyalty Day Act - NAY.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Jullian Situ NCP

PB-50, or the Loyalty Day Act - YEA.

A-4, Amendment to the Victim's Rights Act - NAY.

kirsus
Oct 9, 2012

Buncha freaks. I'll kill you all. well you know, in theory #166

paarp
Lipstick Apathy

Irena Serrano

PB-44, or the Fair Tenantry and Land Distribution Act - YEA
PB-45, or the Security and Intelligence Oversight Committee Act - YEA
PB-46, or the Decree on Land Act - NAY
PB-47, or the Establishment of Local Police Forces Act - NAY
PB-48, or the Higher Education Expansion Act - YEA
PB-49, or the Ape Island Protection Act - YEA
PB-50, or the Loyalty Day Act - YEA

A-4, Amendment to the Victim's Rights Act - NAY

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Manuel Cobos

I am pleased to announce today that from today forward, I will be leading the Free Constitutionalist Party! I would like to extend my thanks to me colleagues within the party, without whom this would not be possible. Going forward, I wish to lead the FCP to the best of my ability, and do absolutely everything within my power to make Anthe a freer nation than it has ever been before.

As I mentioned before, I joined the FCP because I believe in the freedom and rights of all people: rich, middle-class, and poor. I joined the FCP because we are the party that fights for everybody. We believe in equal rights and equal opportunity. We believe that the government shouldn't tip the scales in favor of one group or another. We believe that the government shouldn't be writing laws in favor of small cliques and special interests. We believe that the government, and our society, should be defined by the universal rights that every single one of us has as human beings. Every single one of us deserves to be treated with a basic level of respect and dignity, no matter who we are. And when people try to take those rights away, we are the ones who stand up and say NO!

But going forward, I intend to do more than just say no. Even though we're in opposition, I intend to show all of Anthe that the FCP has the ideas of tomorrow. The FCP is the party of innovators and forward-thinkers. The FCP is the party that listens to the scientists and economists who tell us of all the ways we could be doing things better. There's so much more that can be done, and I can't wait to show you all of them. Our economy could grow by leaps and bounds, if we just let it. That means more money in your bank accounts. More jobs for everyone -- high-paying jobs, too. Jobs in fancy factories, where they make cutting-edge technology that we sell to our friends and neighbors. That means more comforts at home, and less debt for you and your household to worry about. All of this is possible, so long as we try.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Deputy Exequiel de Heliotropo, member of the Education Committee and Judicial Appointment Committee

PB-50, or the Loyalty Day Act - NAY.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Manuel Cobos

Before I cast my votes, I would like to say a few things about some of these bills.

On the matter of PB-44, the Fair Tenantry and Land Distribution Act, I would first like to note that most of what it has is pretty good. Rent relief and the distribution of government lands are simple, straightforward, and effective ideas. But, while I'd say it's about eighty-percent of the way there, the remaining twenty-percent has some pretty big issues.

First, while it addresses rent burdens for tenant farmers, it doesn't address debt burdens. Many tenant farmers find themselves essentially underwater with the debts that they owe to their landlords. Decreasing the rent now will alleviate the pain going forward, but doesn't do anything for the pain they already have. This debt will also be an ongoing burden for all those tenant farmers who choose to move to this new land, where they'll already have a big enough challenge trying to start a farm from nothing.

Second, the proposed system of leasing-to-mortgage isn't actually practical for actually creating new landowners. Assuming that the farm stays viable for ten years, what do you think the odds are that the new farmer will be able to afford taking on a whole brand-new mortgage? Do you think they will have paid off their debts to their previous landlord by then? And the loan they might have taken to get their new farm up and running? Asking people to take out a mortgage at this point is irresponsible, and setting them up for failure. That is, if they even decide to go for it. Some might just decide that they'll never become landowners, which defeats the purpose.

And third, which is I think the most flawed aspect, is that the bill attempts to use economic incentives to force people into communal farming arrangements for ideological purposes. Rather than try to create a new class of independent landowners, it's pretty clear that the intent of this bill is to transform unused government land into a collection of collective farms. It gives incentive after incentive to try to get people to enter an economic arrangement that I know, and you know, that they don't want. I think I might draw some partisan fire for speaking up on this particular issue, so allow me to quote Her Majesty herself:

Her Majesty, Josephine Isabel II posted:

The sole ambition of the Anthen farmer at the present time appears to be to become the owner of a small part of land, where she can erect a humble home for her household, and live there in peace and security at her own free will and pleasure. If she wishes to cultivate the ground, either to feed her family or grow crops which can be sold at market, she wishes to be able to do so without anyone to dictate to her hours or a system of labor. To do so, free from any outside control or coercion -- that is their idea, their desire, and their hope.
This is what the people want. And the bill, as written, does not set them up to get that. While I think it is most of the way there, it is my opinion that we should abstain from passing the bill as written now and instead work together pass a revised tripartisan bill next session.

And as for the other bills...

I would like to thank my friend and colleague August Meier for his proposal of PB-45, the Security and Intelligence Oversight Committee. I had actually intended to propose something similar myself, but he beat me to the punch.

I also endorse PB-47, the Establishment of Local Police Forces Act. It is a bold, yet practical reformation of the existing Gendarme system. The day-to-day functions of the police are fundamentally a local issue, and it makes absolute sense that while we are establishing local control of other government functions, that we establish local control of day-to-day law enforcement as well.

My votes:

PB-44, or the Fair Tenantry and Land Distribution Act - NAY
PB-47, or the Establishment of Local Police Forces Act - YEA
PB-50, or the Loyalty Day Act - NAY

A-4, Amendment to the Victim's Rights Act - YEA

Takanago fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 28, 2020

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Belen Ahmad, First Secretary, Royal Alliance

August Meier, Autonomy Movement

Carla Juvarra, Steel Pact

PB-45, or the Security and Intelligence Oversight Committee Act - NAY

San Saturnino and Ali Hakkar are voting party line (same as leader).

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Seddik Bouchareb
سدك بوشارب
FCP

PB-44, or the Fair Tenantry and Land Distribution Act - NAY
PB-46, or the Decree on Land Act - YEA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

:siren: The voting session has ended. Drafting session will begin when all votes have been tabulated and a new budget summary has been posted. :siren: