Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

Danno Pheal
Royal Alliance

Retold speech made by Danno Pheal, member of the Royal Alliance, to a large crowd of people in front of a local restaurant.

"Now, settle down, you all, the dinner's nearly done... Yes, drinks will be supplied. Now, I got something else to say! So listen up and ready those fine memories. The day of election's approaching fast, and those of you that spread the world of my reckonings at to why one should vote for the Royal Alliance, you're good lads and lasses. And all those new here, all welcomes and all 'dat stuff. By the way, I saw something funny recently... A mite little cartoon, of a mother pulling her children away from a skeleton-looking man, and what do you know, they indicated that skeletal man as a member of the Royal Alliance! But you know what? They titled the durn thing "A Mother Oppresses Her Children". Now, what that's about I don't rightly know! Could be the NCP thinks they're oppressing people away from being with the RA? Har-har, not likely! Anyhoo, just felt like pointing that out. And not what I'm really in for saying here.

Instead, I'm gonna say; Some of you may remember when I called us all who voted for the Royal Alliance a hydra! Cut off one head, two more sprout up. And well, I've thought mightily, and I've reasoned that, if the hydra has the capability, why don't it just sprout more heads instead of waiting for them to be cut off? So I'm going to encourage you all one final time! Want more money in your pocket, want a little more land to put to good use? Better education, say, and measures in place to prevent your livelihood being ruined by some fool with grand ideas? When push comes to shove at work, you want to be able to push back and brush off their shoves? Well, that's those desires I'm representative of, and those lay possible with the Royal Alliance! We'll get it under the guiding and decisive hand of a good ol' monarch, and not under the constant hanging dagger of the NCP, or the flouncy hands of the FCP. Royal Alliance, all! Now, after we eat, spread the word... To family, to friends, to workmates, to cousins, to cousins infinity removed, even to your stepsiblings and stepparents, archive it in your memories and wherever else, and make dang sure it's passed on. You wanna be a hydra that grows heads without 'em being cut off? That's what you'll have to do. And THAT will be awful hard to ignore indeed! Now that's all I had to say on that, and I ain't repeating it twice!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

ooc:You might want to change the venue you were speaking at, it's currently illegal for unions to organise for political purposes.

OOC:
Thanks for the heads up, but by the letter of the law the unions are banned from political activities, not from someone speaking to them...
If someone was discreet enough, or if someone used a small window of opportunity to shout at them and leave at once... It may or may not be seen as a illegal thing, depending on lawyer and interpretation of the law.
Also, while they cannot endorse publicly, I am sure few words here and there can do wonders. Or put the candidate behind bars. Again depending on who interpret law.
On the flip side, is unionisation (be it political or apolitical) legal in this day and age everywhere on Earth, and in case it is present how free or powerful is it?

Also, that caricature is funny and I am excepting that the elections and future government will end up as a big round of demagogy and who knows what.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Duchess Miranda Alvarez-Cuevas
Free Constitution Party

An interview given on planet wide TV

Interviewer: "The election certainly has heated up, hasn't it?"

Duchess Miranda Alvarez-Cuevas: "Ah yes, it has. Quite frankly I think some of the language is a bit short sighted. Irresponsible even. Have some things been said that are very concerning. Absolutely. I am wary of the her Lady the Countess of Ticenza's ' talk, as are most people who seem to remember the past years a whole less 'united and peaceful' than she seems to. But here is the thing. I if go now and I yell at people that 'if you vote for the Royal Alliance, you vote for tyranny', and then we get the election results, and it turns out that in order to get any kind of government, we need to form a coalition with the Royal Allirance. That both makes governance a lot harder, because trying to form a working relationship for years with someone who's resentful of your accusations. And it rather undermines your credibility in the elections to come. And when the time comes you DO need to warn people of an actual tyrant, noone will believe you. It'll be politics as usual."

Interviewer: "So you believe the Royal Alliance means well."

Duchess Miranda Alvarez-Cuevas:"Oh, no doubt there are some among them who would do away with parliament and have her majesty rule by decree. But if I believed that the opposition parties were all hell bent on ending this democracy, this democracy wouldn't stand a chance. So yes, I'll come out and say it. The Royal Alliance, the National Construction Party and the Autonomy Movement are people with different ideas than I of what is good for Anthe, but they try in their own way. If we form a government together with some of them, we'll see about what we can agree on, and what we can compromise on, if we are in the opposition, we will make sure to remind people that there is a different way to handle things than they do, and keep them honest. And a next election will come."

Interviewer: "You did not mention the Steel Pact?"

Duchess Miranda Alvarez-Cuevas:" I did not."

Interviewer:" I see. You did mention the Autonomy Movement. Some object to their participation in these elections. "

Duchess Miranda Alvarez-Cuevas:" I understand that. The people lost in the terrorist attacks are a tragedy, each and every one. But that is exactly why it is important they are given an alternative to violence to advance their cause. Even De Luna understood this and he was hardly a fan of them. They and I disagree on things, but these people want to embrace peace. And I welcome them in the political arena. I'm sure we'll have some magnificent rows soon". *chuckles*

Interviewer: "There are some who would say your acceptance is hypocritical considering your recent political ad."

Duchess Miranda Alvarez-Cuevas: "There is no hypocrisy there. There has certainly been no shortage of people looking to find the culprits of those despicable, violent acts. The victims and the ones they leave behind have a sense of closure. I simply wish for the victims and families of those who have vanished over the last year to have the same comfort, scant as it is. And naturally, any person will look at our history and clearly see that 'seperatist terrorist groups' is something our society reviles, and will reap a retribution. But we also have to send a message what will happen to those who murder political opponents. And if we do nothing, that message will be 'it's fine. If you get those orders, do it. Nobody's going to say a thing'. And that, is a dangerous thing, no matter who happens to be holding power.

Interviewer: Alright. Now, why should people vote for you, if we say that most parties are 'generally benevolent'"

Duchess Miranda Alvarez-Cuevas: "How shall I put it. I think the NCP addresses a lot of the fears of people. The idea that this is a large galaxy and we are one planet, trying to hold onto our way of life. And the Royal Alliance talks to the anger that a lot of people feel. How on a planet with such wealth, they have so little. Unite then, they say, and we'll take it away and divide it properly.

And these concerns are of course real. But I would offer hope as an alternative to fear or anger. Because I know our culture, our traditions and they are beautiful. They will continue to change over time, but they will not die. They are beautiful flowers, but not delicate ones. They are hardy, and when opened to the galaxy, they will not be 'devoured' but rather they will inspire. They will not be hurt by the immigrant or the foreign investor, but they will be enriched. As to the poverty. The idea that Anthe is a 'pie' and there is only so much and we should divide it better is a tempting one, but it's so pessimistic. I believe that we can grow. To stop comparing with our neighbor whether their slice is bigger, but to grow the pie together. To strive for the best one can be, each of us as an individual, as households and as a nation. In that way, if we just dare to let go of these tarrifs and restrictions I know that we can create such wealth, that no Anthean ever needs to hunger."

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lucio
FCP

The Light at the End of the Tunnel was a true disaster of a name, too long for just about anyone. Most miners just called it “the Tunnel”, even as the coffee shop’s owner would have preferred they picked “the Light” as a shorthand instead - the patrons, in response, would always make it known to him that his shop was more narrow than the actual tunnels they worked in, and all would laugh.

Lucio usually came by near the end of the afternoon shift: as good an opportunity as any to see some of the old faces from when he worked the mines himself, and catch them at their most relaxed. It also meant walking to the mining district, and keeping up, visually, with how the city developed. A new smoke stack here and there, the lights along the mountainside widening their grasp to indicate new tunnels being dug. The river forever dirty with the byproducts of industry.

He gave a general greeting as he took a seat at the bar. “I’ll have a glass of the homebrew” he said, directed to the barman this time.

“Coming right up.” The owner must have been sick or otherwise busy, as it was his son, Emilio Cornel, that was manning the bar this time. Not a young man, but where his father could claim seniority to his patrons, Emilio definitely could not.

“So what’s the news, kid?” Sat to the left of Lucio making the inquiry was Esteban, an old coworker, though by this point they’d spent much longer as co-patrons at the Tunnel instead. “Everything alright at those party meetings of yours? I’ve been reading your column on the Free Press. You don’t sound very happy in it.”

“I don’t?” Lucio was more surprised at the statement itself than its content. “If that’s your takeaway then I assume you’re not a voter.”

“Not for your party, or at all for that matter. Uncle Ernesto is still kicking and heading the household. You remember him, right? He covered for you when you bent your pick so you could swap it out with a proper one.” Esteban’s response felt as if he was reminding Lucio of a favour he owed.

“Oh I remember. Thought I was going to go to jail for it” smiled Lucio. “I take it Ernesto is voting for the royalists, then?”

“The Royal Alliance” was Esteban’s response, as if to remind Lucio that the party had a proper name. “All due respect to you kid, there’s only one party that’s looking out for us and it isn’t yours. Here at the end of the world, forgotten inside a hole. We have never had a chance to catch a break until now.”

The barman returned with Lucio’s drink “Not a fan of the Alliance, mr. Valens?”

Lucio’s mood immediately soured. “Don’t do that again, thank you.” He grabbed his glass and took a sip. “And no, I don’t like them. I don’t like the queen, I don’t like the people around her, and I sure don’t like that she’s trying to buy the election.”

“Oh come on, you know it’s not about her” said Esteban dismissively. “It’s about the platform.”

Lucio could have given a more diplomatic answer, but chose to be caustic instead. The two men shared the kind of camaraderie that dispels the fear of offending each other. Still, Esteban could not have been happy when the response came. “I wonder if you would just as soon have supported de Luna if he promised you a payhike.” By this point a handful of the other patrons, familiar with the scene, had turned to observe the day’s argument.

But before Esteban could open his mouth to retort Emilio cut in. “Now now mr.-” he caught himself “-Lucio, you know that isn’t a fair thing to say. The Queen is her own person. You can’t just assume the worst of everyone.”

“She’s of the military and was handpicked by de Luna, and her party’s chief is just the same” was the immediate response, “that should tell you everything you need to know.”

“Be that as it may, she is not de Luna” came Emilio’s response, who had been smiling throughout the whole conversation “and it is her that seems to be speaking for the people here. We would be fools not to listen.”

Lucio’s frustration turned to amusement. “Hey hey… I know Isabel’s been bribing Esteban here, but what’s she promised to barkeeps?”

“Are you joking?” Emilio’s answered with a giggle “Look around you, the Queen pays these guys and then they pay me!” The audience that had formed broke into laughter.

“Touché, I shouldn’t have asked” admitted Lucio, then took a turn for the serious “Still… this shouldn’t be necessary to begin with. De Luna picked her. It’s not the same person but it’s the same thing. These are the same rotten people that take everything away from you. Then they give you back a trickle and say it’s just and fair and that you get a raise! You cannot rely on other people making these choices for you, you know? We have to be able to make them ourselves. Even now de Luna’s ghost haunts us.”

“Well, isn’t that what this election is for?” said Esteban, re-entering the discussion “We have a nice big vote where we decide. Who’s to say that going for the Alliance isn’t the people’s true and honest choice?”

This time Emilio interjected in Lucio’s place: “You say that old man, but we both know that on election day you’ll be here drinking yourself to death, and I’ll be here serving you, while others go to vote in our name.” The watching patrons once again shared a laugh. It was hard to tell whether the barkeep was being genuine in this sentiment, or perhaps simply trying to maintain a sense of balance and levity in the discussion, so as to diffuse any drama before it could blow up.

The conversation then degenerated into noise as every active and passive participant started talking over each other, and another evening passed in the Tunnel.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Manuel Cobos
Free Constitutionalist Party

As owner and manager of The Anthen Anthem, I must object to the unfair attacks that have been levied towards me and my newspaper. While the Daily Standard has not called us out by name, their insults are so out of line and so inflammatory that it is my duty to speak out against them.

First of all, it is deeply concerning that they would allow these foul accusations to make it to print. The words in the article accuse us of being ghouls, conspirators, and worse. This is tremendously out of line, and inappropriate. Now, I understand that our outlets may have differing views sometimes, and that maybe you see us as rivals, but it serves absolutely no good to let such baseless and dangerous libel make it to newsstands. While I do support the principle of free speech, (very strongly, in fact) what the Daily Standard has shown is a tremendous lack of journalistic standards and decorum.

To address the false claims presented in the article is below me, but to make the truth absolutely clear I will do so anyway. One, the article presented in The Anthen Anthem was simply reporting the simple fact that there was a claim being made, and that there is a controversy. This is perfectly normal and acceptable reporting, and I know you know this because your publication preceded this baseless criticism with similar reporting of your own. Compare these two headlines:

Anthen Daily Standard: Nochabuena Fire 'May Have Been Deliberate Sabotage' Say Experts
Anthen Anthem: ACCIDENT, OR ARSON?

If anything, our reporting is less accusatory. So I have absolutely no idea where you are coming from on this. If you think that straightforward, objective news has a liberal bias, then the bias is coming from you. The Anthem itself is a nonpartisan institution which reports every side to a story. If the Security Office or anyone else want to have their side heard, they just need to get in touch with us.

And, in fact, if the anonymous analyst quoted in the article has so much to say about us, we invite her to join us for an interview. We're not afraid of hearing what you have to say. We'll even print it. You know where to contact us.

As for the Daily Standard themselves, I understand that the accusations I talk about here come from a third-party source and I know that they might, in fact, not actually represent the views of your publication. If that is the case, then we simply ask that the Daily Standard print a retraction for those cruel words spoken out against us.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

A poster found on a wall in Maravilla endorsing the Royal Alliance.

Clayren fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 31, 2020

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Seddik Bouchareb
سدك بوشارب
FCP

Excerpted from a pamphlet titled "Conditions of the Anthen Peasant" published by صديق العامل (The Worker's Friend)

Nature of the problem
Commercial industry is not the only form of production in contemporary society; it exists alongside the remains of pre-industrial modes of production, which have maintained themselves into the present day. Moreover, the antithesis between the businessman and the wage worker is not the only social antagonism of our age. Numerous other classes exist alongside and between these two, taking in both the cream and the dregs of society: monarchs with their courtiers at one extreme, and the diverse varieties of vagrants at the other - classes in part produced by pre-industrial social forms, and in part created, or at least fostered, to meet industry's needs. It is these multifarious classes, in part ascending, in part sinking, with their diverse and constantly changing interests - sometimes intersecting or embracing the interests of the businessmen, and sometimes those of the workers, without ever completely corresponding to either - which give contemporary political struggles their irregular and occasionally extraordinary and surprising character. . . .

Overwork on Small Farms

Small farms have two major weapons to set against the large. Firstly, the greater industriousness and care of their cultivators, who in contrast to wage workers labor for themselves. And secondly, the frugality of the small independent peasant, greater even than that of the agricultural laborer. The small peasants not only flog themselves into this drudgery: their families are not spared either. Since the running of the household and the farm are intimately linked together in agriculture, children - the most submissive of all labor - are always at hand!

It takes a very obdurate admirer of small-scale land-ownership to see the advantages derived from forcing small cultivators down to the level of beasts of burden, into a life occupied by nothing other than work - apart from time set aside for sleeping and eating. Overwork begins once labor for the producer's immediate consumption turns into labor for the market, impelled by the goad of competition. Competing through lengthening working time always goes hand in hand with technical backwardness.

The more agriculture becomes a science, and hence the more acute the competition between rational and small-peasant traditional agriculture, the more the small farm is forced to step up its exploitation of children, and undermine any education which the children might acquire. . . .

The Solution

The entire movement of industrial production tends to enrich the town at the expense of the countryside. Even landowning farmers are in the main only apparently landowners; the real owner is the mortgage creditor in the town.

The De Luna regime was only an institution for the service of civilization to a very limited degree. What it centralized were the means of domination. Cultural tasks are left to the villages and distracts, or to private individuals: it shows no great interest in their centralization. Elementary schools and even the higher school system remain a local concern. Welfare matters - in their broadest sense - are also a concern of the villages and, in part, private individuals: sanitation, the health system, care of the poor.

To remedy this and win the peasantry from the monarchy and the church, workers must advance an alternative:

We demand the self-administration of the people at the district and village level to put a stop to the violations inflicted on the rural population by ignorant, overbearing and even downright corrupt officials, and check the excessive power of large land-ownership.

We must transform the state into a means for disseminating real culture and assume those cultural tasks which are too great for the individual or the village, but whose fulfilment is indispensable for society as a whole. The state should assume responsibility for the costs of education, provision for the poor, health care and transport under the self-administration of the villages and districts.

Finally, the large estates of the nobles and churches must be nationalized. Those peasants wishing sufficient land for their individual production can have it, but by maintaining large plots and subsidizing the introduction of modern equipment, the workers can, through the state, resolve once and for all the economic and cultural poverty of the peasant while reducing food prices for the worker and sweeping away the old nobility. The increased productivity in agriculture would not only uplift the peasant but provide a new basis for industrial growth.

Canasta_Nasty fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 31, 2020

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
The High Constitutional Court in 3640

The High Constitutional Court is the highest body of the Judiciary, and the only court empowered to interpret the Constitution. Its membership has traditionally come from the most solidly supportive portions of the army and the landowning elite, and several members belong to prominent noble families. In the last ten years before his death, however, de Luna began to select Justices from a distinct group of moderates and reformers. Under the negotiations that produced the current Constitution, it was agreed that the serving Justices would continue to serve until their death or retirement - the price, most speculate, for their blessing and non-interference. New Justices will serve terms of thirty years. The Constitution states that the High Constitutional Court will consist of one Chief Justice and six Justices. Upon the retirement or death of a sitting Chief Justice, the next most senior Justice will assume the position.

The sitting Justices are, in order of seniority:

Chief Justice Ulises de Palacio, Baron Rubianes, General of Division (Ret.), app. 3595, age 85

Justice Tomas de Ordonez, Count de Tejada, Lieutenant General (Ret.), app. 3609, age 81

Justice Don Yusuf Sada, General of Division (Ret.), app. 3614, age 77

Justice Fatima de Giron, Duchess of Olias, Vice Admiral (Ret.), app. 3625, age 72

Justice Dona Anna Campes, app. 3628, age 68

Justice Eraclio Monsivais, Baron Astorga, Rear Admiral (Ret.), app. 3631, age 54

Justice Dona Myriam de Oliveira y Vidre, app. 3638, age 47

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 31, 2020

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
A film poster for the latest hit on Anthe, the piece tells the story of a former soldier, Antonio Val (Juan Francisco Ferrufino), who in the last years of the de Luna administration returns from his tour of duty to his farm in the south. He finds his household in ruin, bandits plague the area. Realising he must do anything to protect his loved ones and his livelihood he reluctantly takes up his arms again. At the climax of the film and in what looks set to be his dark and ignominious end Antonio and his entire household fight a desperate last stand against the bandits. Shots flying through the windows of Antonio's humble homestead. Until cresting the hill is the forces of the Anthen military causing the bandits to immediately rout! In the epilogue we are told a year has passed, Antonio and his family sit at a dinner table with copious amounts of food. A knock at the door. It's the officer leading the force who saved his family, he has traded in his military uniform for a smart suit with an NCP lapel pin, shocked Antonio invites him in, but the former officer declines instead calling Antonio and his family outside to meet their brand new tractor!

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

In front of a cheering crowd, Ali Hakkar gives his campaign remarks in Maravilla's International Square...

Friends, fellow citizens, I ask you a simple question...can a nation which has not come to terms with its past ever fulfil its destiny? Modern science, doctors of the mind, show us that trauma cannot be ignored forever. The more it is shoved back into the recesses of the psyche, the more damaging its subterreanean thrashings become. My father was a wise man, if not a learned one, and he once told me, 'You know when dealing with bad depression, and, sad poo poo, it's cool to pretend like nothing is wrong. That sometimes works. But, eventually, you gotta call a goddamn spade a spade and be like "yo I'm hosed up and I gotta make a change.'

It is time to make a change. It is time to come to terms with our past. Anthe has overcome the greatest struggle in its history, through the shared sacrifice of its citizens. But a crime is a crime. A wound is a wound. We have only one choice -- to seek treatment for our social wound. The treatment is called justice.

The government of De Luna does not wish to discuss what everyone already knows -- what cannot be denied, what is evident from the testimony of widows, sons, daughters, wives, and husbands -- there are murderers, thieves, rapists, kidnappers, torturers and monsters living among us, who committed unspeakable crimes for their own sadistic benefit. The security forces, along with rogue elements of the military, were responsible for kidnapping, torturing, and murdering an unknown but vast number of Anthens, both during the Intervention and in decades afterwards. This was done not to secure any Anthen's security, but out of sheer personal pique, bloodlust, psychotic paranoia, greed, xenophobia, and sadism. I can, today, produce the names of over three hundred Anthens who disappeared at the hands of security forces, and whose bodies were later found by their friends and relatives. Scholars and journalists who refuse to be intimidated have informed me that the real number may be higher, much higher, in the tens of thousands. We can identify members of the security forces who carried out these crimes. But this is only the beginning -- if elected, we will immediately move to create a permanent Standing Committee whose only focus is investigating and prosecuting these crimes, and giving the victims' families restitution. We will arrest and put on trial those who committed crimes against their fellow Anthens, and we will reduce the power of the security forces and the military so that this cannot ever happen again. Finally, we will continue to work to pass constitutional protections for all Anthens, ensuring their right to speak, to assemble, and to cast their vote -- the FCP stands for universal suffrage for any and every Anthen, no matter their background.

Whether the people accept this constitution or press for more fundamental changes remains to be seen. But regardless of that outcome, the FCP will always work to make life more equal, reward hard work, and learn all we can from our friends and allies abroad. We pledge to:

-Reduce military and security funding, and place it in public education, with the goal of doubling the number of university students within one year.

-To provide for the landless of Anthe by breaking up the monopoly of the Churches on tens of thousands of unworked agricultural land and awarding it to poor peasants, with or without compensation. We will also make it easier for poor peasants and workers to access the credit and financing they desperately need and which their landlords and bosses either deny them or provide on usurious terms.

-Placing the healthcare and education systems of Anthe in the hands of trained, educated professionals whose qualifications are scientific rather than creedal. We will enforce national standards for the care of children and the sick, and end the practice of corporal punishment in schools.

-Pass laws permanently securing the unalienable right of every Anthen to free speech, free assembly, freedom of movement, and freedom of worship. We urge Her Majesty the Queen to aid us by calling for the abolition of the lese-majeste laws and the barbaric autocracy it represents.

-Ending the absurd tariffs Anthens face every day, which drive up the price of everyday staples from instant soup to diabetes pills to microwave ovens to clothing. Government monopolies which are judged to be against the public interest will be ended by breaking up those interests.

-Establish a permanent Standing Committee to investigate abuse by government and military officials, and to provide oversight on behalf of the ordinary citizen.

-End the violence in the south of the country by securing a final settlement with the official representatives of underground militant groups -- not one more dead Anthen in this hideous internal conflict! If the people of any region wish to run their own affairs, celebrate their own culture, carry out their affairs in their own language, worship at their own holy place, then that is their business. If any region wishes to have a say in its governance, then they shall have it if a simple majority desires just that - isn't that the basis of democracy?

-To form, fund, and empower whatever governmental bodies are necessary to investigate abuses and exploitation at all levels of society, no matter the industry or sector. We will make it so that no sharecropper is intimidated or cheated, no worker put in unnecessary danger, no merchant swindled by the rich, no household poisoned by substandard food or injured by substandard housing or impoverished by predatory creditors. The government under the FCP will not be some technocrat's dream of enriching the well-connected few in the name of an abstract nationalism -- it means honest, educated people helping you with your ordinary problems, helping you get justice, protecting you from problems. We will use the levers of the state to even the playing field for all people, to free ourselves from old encumbrances, in the name of progress and freedom.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
An article in the Anthen Daily Standard:

The Anthen Anthem Owner Lashes Out Following Fire Article

In response to our article published yesterday concerning possible irregularities surrounding the fire in Flor de Nochabuena, Manuel Cobos, owner and manager of limited circulation news publication The Anthen Anthem, penned a strongly worded open letter to our editors, attached here in full:

Takanago posted:

Manuel Cobos

As owner and manager of The Anthen Anthem, I must object to the unfair attacks that have been levied towards me and my newspaper. While the Daily Standard has not called us out by name, their insults are so out of line and so inflammatory that it is my duty to speak out against them.

First of all, it is deeply concerning that they would allow these foul accusations to make it to print. The words in the article accuse us of being ghouls, conspirators, and worse. This is tremendously out of line, and inappropriate. Now, I understand that our outlets may have differing views sometimes, and that maybe you see us as rivals, but it serves absolutely no good to let such baseless and dangerous libel make it to newsstands. While I do support the principle of free speech, (very strongly, in fact) what the Daily Standard has shown is a tremendous lack of journalistic standards and decorum.

To address the false claims presented in the article is below me, but to make the truth absolutely clear I will do so anyway. One, the article presented in The Anthen Anthem was simply reporting the simple fact that there was a claim being made, and that there is a controversy. This is perfectly normal and acceptable reporting, and I know you know this because your publication preceded this baseless criticism with similar reporting of your own. Compare these two headlines:

Anthen Daily Standard: Nochabuena Fire 'May Have Been Deliberate Sabotage' Say Experts
Anthen Anthem: ACCIDENT, OR ARSON?

If anything, our reporting is less accusatory. So I have absolutely no idea where you are coming from on this. If you think that straightforward, objective news has a liberal bias, then the bias is coming from you. The Anthem itself is a nonpartisan institution which reports every side to a story. If the Security Office or anyone else want to have their side heard, they just need to get in touch with us.

And, in fact, if the anonymous analyst quoted in the article has so much to say about us, we invite her to join us for an interview. We're not afraid of hearing what you have to say. We'll even print it. You know where to contact us.

As for the Daily Standard themselves, I understand that the accusations I talk about here come from a third-party source and I know that they might, in fact, not actually represent the views of your publication. If that is the case, then we simply ask that the Daily Standard print a retraction for those cruel words spoken out against us.

Our editors were very surprised to receive such a vociferous complaint, as our readers are drawn to us precisely because of our core values of honesty and journalistic integrity as well as our consistently high standards in news reporting. Compounding their surprise was the fact that they could find no mention of The Anthen Anthem anywhere in the text of the article that had so inflamed Cobos, not even in the words of our highly placed sources presented there. The only plausible conclusion our editors could reach as to the cause of his anger, was that he happened across the words 'nakedly partisan slant toward the Free Constitutionalist Party' written in bold and immediately assumed we must have been writing about his publication.

Naturally, we shall not be publishing a retraction of the article, which contained no defamatory statements of any kind and merely sought to inform our readers of serious concerns raised by investigators. Nevertheless, in the interest of providing our readers with a more comprehensive view of the situation, we reached out to the senior informational warfare analyst quoted in the article for comment on Cobos' complaints:

"I find it quiet telling that these concerns are raised after I had resolved not to point fingers and concluded my statement with only a call for the public to be critical of the reporting they consume. Imagine, if you will, a gendarme announcing to a gathered crowd that there is evidence of a robbery, that a suspect could not be named at this time and that nearby residents should remain vigilant. Then, to his great surprise, someone standing at the back of the crowd starts shouting - 'I am innocent! You have no right to accuse me! The door was left unlocked, I don't even have lockpicking tools! Anyway I was nowhere near that house when the crime occured!'. I would think that sort of reaction would cause at least some murmurs among the others in the crowd, no? I don't want to baselessly accuse Cobos of willingly lending aid to the perpetrators of a terrorist incident plotting to undermine the security of our nation through a series of targeted smears, but I can't deny that his bizarre unprompted response does raise some questions in my mind."

There is nothing more our publication can print regarding Cobos' letter. We can only echo the analyst's warning to exercise caution in your media consumption so you may avoid falling prey to the initiatives of malicious actors seeking to influence your opinion.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 31, 2020

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

Danno Pheal
Royal Alliance

Retold speech made by Danno Pheal in the late hours of the night, to an assembled crowd while on a late night walk.

The rugged man crouches a bit before the assembled crowd of onlookers, sighing and taking a sip of his drink before beginning.

"Now, all this next day, there's gonna be a lot of speaking up going on, and they'll be preparing their finest speeches... And near all the big leaders of the parties have spoken up by now, I'm sure all you heard by now. And the Royal Alliance, the head o' the Royal Alliance'll say it's piece within the next day, before these elections are up, aye? And y'all should know what you raised me up to represent, what you want! You might'a heard of that fire by now now, you might have heard and seen suspicions related to it. By now, you've seen the posters, and the papers. And y'all would have heard snippets of prepared speeches by all the others, and what they do, eh? Heard all the proposals and wants? And how past grievances and wounds need correcting? That's clear, that is! It'll be coming to a point in due time, that much is for sure, eh? I ain't the slightest clue how it'll all shake up. Maybe the Royal Alliance will join with an other party, find a little bit of common ground. Heck, the National Construction Party... I can't properly call them entirely wrong in their desires, although intimidating still! Nor the Free Constitutional Party, though they are, hrm, less intimidating, I say, and really need to tone things down a bit!

I believe the Royal Alliance is the pathway to what we want, aye? And what we want, I have well communicated to you! Be it murmuring agreement or outright shouting agreement, or mutual acceptance! And I'm gonna champion what we want, champion for those things to be done under the guidance and decisive hand of the Queen, aye? Though we still haven't heard anything official-like from her yet, in a speech. Regardless of what she says, even if she don't focus on what we want to hear, we oughta all try our darndest to let our words and desires hit their ears, to see if there can be a possibility of them happening! You're all a hydra, got it? A big ol' many headed hydra that can sprout more heads whenever you want without 'em needing cutting, and you can make yourself known and not get brushed aside! And I'll show off you, the hydra, and succinctly represent our desires, on any stage! So back up the Royal Alliance, folks and ladies, and I and all of them will back ya up in return, you hear? And I ain't repeating all that twice!"

The man leans back and downs the rest of his drink in one long swig, to the loud cheers of the assembled crowd.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Manuel Cobos

My apologies towards the Daily Standard for applying a basic standard of critical reading and using it to ascertain the obvious intent behind its printed words. Obviously, I should not have used basic deduction to determine what kind of newspapers they wanted to smear, nor should I have read anything at all in what words they deliberately chose to embolden and emphasize.

I must thank you though, for choosing to print my words in your publication. A weaker organization would have simply chosen not to do so. I thank you for showing at least some journalistic integrity. If you wish, we can further discuss these journalistic matters in private.

And as for the Senior Informational Warfare Analyst, if you want to join the Anthem for an interview the door is always open.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

A busy street in Rodeiro...

"Carlos, for heaven's sake, just pick one!" Gabriela tapped her foot, the surest sign of her patience running out. "They're the same!"

Carlos couldn't help but hesitate. In one hand, the Anthem. In the other, the Daily Standard. "They're not, okay? One has to be better than the other. They wouldn't be priced differently if they were the same..."

The vendor was starting to get impatient, too. "Look, friend, all this poo poo is the same, okay? The extra penny for the Anthem is just so you think it's fancier."

"Carlos!" She was right -- they still had to pick up Carlito and Estrella from his parents, and the sun was setting....

"Alright," he said, digging the coins out of his pockets. "I'll just take both."

The vendor smiled in relief, showing a gold crown. "Thanks for the business." He tipped his cap at Gabriela. "Not to worry, ma'am, they'll fix that derailment real quick. My supplier says toilet paper'll be back on shelves two days, tops.

Carlos grimaced, and wondered if the ink stained.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Belen Ahmad speaks to a group of farmers, miners, and local petty nobles at an old quarry outside of Poio, one of hundreds of stump speeches given over the month of the campaign...

Hola, amigos. I know it's been a while since I rapped at ya, but here's how things stand. You've got the old schemers and the new schemers, scheming to keep food out of your mouths, as usual. [Boos] And then you've got us, regular people fighting for a chance to improve our own lives at their pocketbooks' expense. [Cheers] Look, I'm not going to bullshit you with fancy speeches about rights and justice. I don't have to explain anything to you, okay? You could all teach classes at the best university about how Anthe really works, huh? [Hooting, cheering]. But we've got a real opportunity here, compañero. An opportunity to get a little equality between all people. A chance to make it so no one in the nation lacks what they need for a good life. I'm talking about housing, medicine, and work, alright? I'm talking about new election laws making sure your voice is heard, new schools for your kids, new clothes, nicer things. I'm talking about making them respect us, for the first time in this country's history. Listen, here's what the Royal Alliance is promising to fight for if we win:

-An immediate 30% increase in wages for all workers. [crowd goes apeshit]

-A new union law allowing unions to participate in politics and generally do whatever the hell they want with our money and our time. It'll make joining a union and merging them easier, too - majorities instead of supermajorities. And closed. shops. [crowd screams in religious ecstasy]

-You'll like this one, compañeros. You'll get...13th months of pay for working 12. That's right, an end of the year bonus equaling 100% of one month of your wages. And holidays to spend it. We're gonna have at least twenty more holidays, national holidays, so even if your boss says you gotta come in you're making four times overtime. [crowd tears down an ancient excavator in its excitement]

-We're gonna put a cap on the amount of land you're allowed to own, and give the rest out to you and your families. And we're gonna tax the poo poo out of the rich, and use it to pay for new equipment, cheap fertilizer, and set up co-operatives so you're not trying to sell on your own at poo poo prices.

-We're gonna build new schools for your kids, and send them to college to be teachers and doctors and scientists.

-We're gonna make the Board of Labor into a real Office, and staff and fund it so that its inspectors can go around beating the poo poo out of your awful bosses and fining them for messing with you.

-We're gonna take all the banks and put them under national control, to make sure that there's absolutely nobody making money off your hard work but you. And for the first time, you're gonna have access to all the credit you need, and you'll have a safe place to keep your money, where nobody's gonna rip you off or lose your money.

-We're going to invest in the countryside and the cities, building new public transport so you can get around. That means new buses, new subway lines, new trains. And we're going to set up agricultural experiment stations so they can help teach you the latest techniques, and we're going to build machinist's schools so you can learn how the new equipment works, and we're going to set up stations where you can rent out advanced equipment owned by local government, so you're not in unfair competition with the big landlords who can buy all their stuff new from the factory.

-We're gonna end all this ugly poo poo in the South, okay? I don't care what some psycho bigot says, if an Anthen respects Her Majesty then I don't care what language they do it in, and I dont' care what church they go to. We're gonna make it so you can elect your own mayors and councilors, and celebrate however the hell your community wants to, and we're going to make a Standing Committee to make sure that's the case.

-And we're going to fix the government once and for all by digging up all the records of the people who went missing, or people who got killed or roughed up by the cops, and we're gonna make sure that everybody who ever took part in that goes to prison. There's gonna be another Standing Committee for that, too. We're gonna cap it off by passing new laws making sure everyone can vote, no matter if you're the head of household.

-You might have heard about the NCP, and you might have thought about voting for them because they're promising unemployment insurance and all that. Well, so are we, and we'll make sure it actually gets funded. We're gonna have free healthcare, good state pensions, unemployment and disability, and we're gonna pay for it through income taxes, property taxes, and luxury taxes. You're gonna get yours. Your family is gonna get what they deserve. And unlike the other parties, you know I'm not gonna back down when some Pallene big-dick comes through and starts whining about the debt. Oh, you want payment? How about a little debt renegotiation preceding any further security agreements or economic integration, bastards? [crowd begins to hum and glow with a tremendous psychic energy at the mention of debt renegotiation]

We're building a new society here on Anthe, where the only distinction made between people is whether they're willing to pull their weight and whether they're working to help work for the common good, a society where the wealth is shared among those who make it. On Anthe, there should only be one class of people, men and women and non-binary compañeros who work for all the people, no matter their religion or language or politics. That's the only definition of a good Anthen; and a bad Anthen will be those who refuse to lift a finger for the happiness of others, no matter how much they scream and shout in fancy language.

But most importantly, compañeros, we're going to have our own in power for the first time in Anthen history. And we're gonna have a Queen who loves us, the best Queen, you're not going to believe how good your Queen is to you. The Queen wants all these things for you, and she's going to show you how to get them. And if anybody gives you poo poo, send em' to Her Majesty! Viva la Reina! Viva la Reina! [crowd begins to chant 'Viva la Reina']

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 31, 2020

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ostap
Royal Alliance

:pusheen:

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Seddik Bouchareb
سدك بوشارب
FCP

Excerpted from a pamphlet titled "Conditions of the Anthen Peasant" published by صديق العامل (The Worker's Friend)

Militarism and the Peasant

For the rural population, restraining militarism is even more important than restraining the omnipotence of the centralized bureaucracy. Although militarism demands heavy sacrifices of the population as a whole, these fall hardest on the countryside. Industry, which generates an ever-increasing reserve army of unemployed, can more easily tolerate the reduction in labor caused by a standing army than agriculture, which suffers from a steady outflow of workers. Young people leave the country to become soldiers, all too easily lose their desire for a life on the land and are lost to agriculture forever. And those who do return are not always the best elements. The soldier is scrupulously protected from the effects of urban culture; the worst thing imaginable would be for him to absorb some of its spirit! Soldiers' taverns and brothels are the only places 'befitting' the defenders of Anthe during their free time, the only ones which do not bring them modern ideas. The only urban attainments they take back to the countryside are their barrack-square manner and syphilis.

The taxes which the peasant pays for the upkeep of the army - both the obligatory variety and the voluntary ones to keep their sons and daughters in battle dress - also migrate to the town, where they are spent. The peasant derives only burdens and disadvantages. Why then should the peasant turn out to be militarism's sturdiest pillar? The most likely explanation seems to us to be that the rural population is conscious of the fact that hostile invasions hit them the hardest.

Winning the peasant for the struggle against militarism means proving that this does not imply leaving Anthe defenseless. However, the struggle against militarism has two aspects.

On the one hand, the desire for the establishment of a lasting peace. The war preparations of the Pallenes and Hyadeans have now reached such insane dimensions that they make even the best patriots quake. Everyone is convinced that this cannot continue, that it will lead either to bankruptcy or to an annihilating war, the most insane of all wars - a war unleashed because the burden which was supposed to secure peace had become too great to bear. The idea of a lasting peace is mainly economic in aim. It wishes to relieve society of an increasingly unbearable burden. It impinges only on mutual relationships between governments; the relationship between government and people remains untouched.

On the other hand, the demand for the replacement of the present standing army by a people's army, a militia is primarily political, not economic, in purpose. It constitutes the indispensable precondition for a real democracy, in which the government is the servant, not the master of the people. The heart of the people's army is that every endeavor is made to allow the soldiers to remain citizens. The period of segregation from the rest of the population - that is, training in the barracks - is kept to the indispensable minimum necessary for acquiring the skills of war, and as large a part of training as possible is carried out outside the barracks.

For agriculture, the barracks symbolizes the centralization of the military in the town, and signifies one of the most pernicious forms of absenteeism - that of its best workers, who are not only transformed from workers into exploiters, albeit involuntarily, but also consume the results of this exploitation far removed from the countryside. The militia system would remove one of the most oppressive forms of the exploitation of agriculture.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yazmin Ochoa, NCP

"The Royalists certainly do like their speeches, don't they? They criticize us for our 'fancy words,' and yet they're on every street corner, every newspaper page, every radio channel, repeating the same carefully-written catchphrases and fanciful promises over and over.

And yet, what are those promises? Because, if you'll forgive me, it seems that their plan consists almost exclusively of spending astronomical sums of money, with precious few hints as to where it's going to come from. That is our money. Your money. The same money they promise to give back to the workers. Keep in mind that government revenue last year was only around nine billion dollars, a budget that barely covered necessities. Sounds to me like a perfect time to open up our cheque-books and fund every single dream any RA member has ever had, hm? Money for this, money for that, money for you and him and her, investment and construction and government committees; the list goes on and on and on. Only name it, and Belen Ahmad is ready and willing to throw your tax dollars after it.

The only plan they've put forth to raise a single dollar is vague, unspecified 'taxes,' quietly murmured right in the middle of the speech while everyone's cheering too loud to hear. The cold, unappetizing truth of the matter is: the party who raves about not letting anyone take your money away and not depending financially on other nations... is going to take your money away and put us in even deeper debt to said nations. They're going to spend billions and end up with precious little to show for it. That might not get anyone chanting my name, but it's what is going to happen.

Of course, the NCP shares many of the same goals that dear Belen claims as her own. Schools, public transport, investment in rural communities. The difference is that we have experience, not just idealistic dreams, so we pair those plans with ways to increase revenue, grow the economy, and make our investments self-funding, so that we can actually make them a reality."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Don Cyrano de Masconfianza, eighth Conde Masconfianza, seen exhibiting theirvivacidadat a local publicans house.
Name: Conde Cyrano de Masconfianza, individually Cyrano Luis-Maximiliano de Maestría de la Flores
Party: Free Constitutionalist Party

Cyrano tries hard. He really does. He has a lot to live up to with the Tropconfiant name, a longtime stalwart safeguard of noble privileges and a watchword of conservatism among Anthen politics. Unfortunately for those expecting him to be a chip off the old block, several incidents intervened. His father died in a racing accident when he was only six, and his mother followed less than a year later in a shocking tumble during a soiree. His upbringing was left to his archconservative grandparents, who didn't pay very close attention when hiring only the "best" tutors for the scion and heir of Tropconfiant. Nor did they pay close attention to the circles the increasingly liberal Cyrano ran in as he grew - something they might have been able to rectify if a terrorist attack hadn't exploded their hovercarriage as they were returning from one of their countryside estates. So now young Cyrano has a headful of ideas and ideals about Constitutional government and the Rights of Man, and a lack of proper adult supervision one way or the other.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 10, 2020

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

Danno Pheal
Royal Alliance

Retold speech made by Danno Pheal to an assembled crowd just outside his house, in the mid-evening.

The gruff man finishes passing out drinks to the audience, then raises it in tribute.

"Well, you lot might have heard from Belen Ahmad by now, since they've been near everywhere down in the gritty with all of us, and I got to say; It'll do! I think our voices will be heard adequately, huh? And I am... No, we all are going to make drat sure they are. This current world of ours is gonna receive a shakeup by tomorrow, one way or another! And isn't that also what we wanted, to shake things up? That we did! The Royal Alliance might pull ahead in the polls, mayhaps! And that'd be a prime position. But we always got to remember, there's always gonna be sacrifices in getting our voices heard. We're all gonna have to put our grit into it, a lot of new avenues of commerce might open up. And they'll put the squeeze on us all. But we can take the squeeze, can't we? We're the people of Anthe, we can take a little squeezing! It'll keep us stable, prevent things from getting overblown.

Which is why I say to you all, this! If you know anybody who prefers the NCP, if you're familiar with their members, their leaders, whoever the heck else is affiliated with them, feel free to tell 'em and let 'em now we're willing to work with them! I've been listening around and had a good, long and hard think, and I've come to the conclusion that I won't be opposed ta workin' somethin' out with 'em. Ain't we all Anthens, eh? We'll know the lessons of the past, stabilize the present, and then blow the future to new heights, eh? If we clearly pull ahead of the two others in these elections, good! Fairly won, that can be said! But 'till we all see how these days'll end, let 'em know they can be part of the hydra too! Spread the word far and wide, say it to every ear that'll hear, cause I ain't repeating all that twice! We're gonna be hard to ignore either way."

The man chuckles and takes a long swig of his drink to assembled cheers, before clearing his throat.

"Oh, and the FCP can go try whatever, I suppose. Not much'll come of it, har har! Now, let's drink to the times!"

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lucio
FCP

(on a radio interview on Radio del Sol, a Piedro del Sol-based station)

Presenter: We have in our studio today a candidate for the Free Constitutionalist Party, running in industrial Salvatierra, señor Lucio Valens. Though I’ve been told you prefer to go by your first name, it is important for the listeners to know how to identify you on a ballot.
Lucio: Yes, indeed. Though you won’t find my household name on any of my published work so it’s only really useful for clerical reasons.
Presenter: I’d like to talk about politics but can you expand on that for a little bit? Unfamiliar listeners are probably curious, and I won’t hide the fact that so am I. I’m to understand you were adopted?
Lucio: It’s true, and I owe a great deal to the man who took me out of poverty. But, for one thing, I owe it to the man, and not his name, and for another, I find more to dislike about the Anthen household system than not. There is a certain suppression of the spirit, a claustrophobia that you get when, as a grown person who is able to assume the responsibilities of adulthood, you are put in a cage, so to speak. You understand, of course, that this too is politics.
Presenter: Yes.
Lucio: Doubly so since the electoral system is based on the household system and precludes from voting the vast majority of our adult population.
Presenter: It has stirred some controversy. Being that we are talking about the election, you have a background as a miner, and an industrial worker from a young age. Why the FCP? What did you see in your party of choice, and why should the average voter support you?
Lucio: The simple answer is, I believe, justice. The existing constitution and the elections being held are an admission that the state as it has existed, has failed. It has failed and to cover up that failure, they are trying to make the general population complicit. The free constitutionalists are the only party that is interested in opposing that.
Presenter: You believe that you are the only party in opposition to the old regime?
Lucio: Yes.
Presenter: That’s a pretty radical viewpoint.
Lucio: Well, the NCP doesn’t hide it.
Presenter: And the RA?
Lucio: The RA is a party that looks more complex than it really is. By design, of course. They put on a grand show and play the populists, but if you pull back the curtains you see that it’s just a play. And you see that it is written and directed by a handful of military careerists. And the producer, that is to say, the Queen, was handpicked by de Luna.
Presenter: That sounds reductive. Señorita Ahmad laid out the party platform on her speech yesterday-
Lucio: Yes, and that speech demonstrates what I said perfectly. The platform that Belen laid out is like a fisherman’s bait, it is promising everything to everyone. What it says, to me, is that the royalists aren’t taking this job seriously, and they’re treating the people whose votes they ask for like children. I could come here and say, I’ll raise the wages on Radio del Sol, I’ll double your wages. It sounds good, doesn’t it? It is indecent to toy with people’s expectations like that.
Presenter: That would be pretty nice. [chuckle] Nevertheless, Señorita Ahmad talked about some things that your party, that the FCP, has been talking about. She mentioned autonomist demands, the Security Office scandal...
Lucio: Yes, and that tracks with what I said earlier. She’s promising everything to everyone. She’s cannibalising our platform in an attempt to pull our voters, same as she’s been trying to bribe the miners and farmers with money.
Presenter: Some of it has been in their party guidelines from its inception. You don’t think the RA might be trying to keep the door open, so to speak, to a post-electoral alliance with your party?
Lucio: I don’t wish to speculate on election results. When that day comes, you are free to invite me again to your programme.
Presenter: Understandable. We don’t have much time, but before we close I want to ask you about the Autonomy Movement. You don’t talk about them a lot. Surely you would not also place them in with-
Lucio: No, no, I wouldn’t say they represent a continuation of de Luna’s regime like the other parties do. That would be insulting, and untrue. I don’t usually mention them because, as I see it, they have a more limited scope than the other parties, and as far as that scope is concerned we are largely in agreement. I do not view them as opponents, in other words.
Presenter: I see-
Lucio: Maybe next election we will run as one party! [laughs]
Presenter: That would be interesting. Well, that’s all the time we have. I didn’t get to ask about your thoughts on the Steel Pact, but I think our listeners can make a guess.
Lucio: They can. Thank you for having me.
Presenter: Thank you for joining us.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Acero Amalden
Royalist Alliance

During a public stump speech

You know what? gently caress the NCP. I hope every last one of 'em chokes on their dinners. [general laughter] No, no really, I mean it. gently caress 'em. These bastards spent years stepping on our backs to get rich, and loving murdered anyone who dared speak up. Oh but now they forgive us. Just be good little peasants, and don't change a loving thing, and they'll do their very best to deign to feed us some table scraps! The loving nerve. They steal from us, they murder us, they sneer down their noses at us, and lecture about how we're "oh so inexperienced". PFAH! We've heard it all before! It's the exact same group of oh so well to do murdering bastards that have always been at it. The same Households that murdered the first queen for daring to try to make them obey laws for once! The same corporations and bishops and nobles that sank our first loving democracy! Why the gently caress would anyone who isn't completely out of their GODGIVEN MINDS let those loving assholes keep power? No. No. NO! A thousand times no! Enough is enough! The loving pigs have had their time at the trough, and now it's finally, finally time for them to pay up. And I don't give a single solitary gently caress how loud they squeal while they do!

[from the back: What about the FCP?]

What about 'em? Some of 'em are alright I guess, the ones worried about human rights and government tyranny. Yeah, weird thing for a Royalist to say right? Well I don't blame 'em for being worried, they, at least, have genuine grievances and concerns. At least some of them, the ones not in love with the sound of their own voice or dumbshit Pallene economic philosophy, want some justice in the world! But honestly? Way too many of them just aren't concerned about us the way the Queen is, and I'm always going to have to worry about who is really calling the shots over there. To be frank, a lot of the FCP guys, gals, and pals just seem like losers in the old regime who want to change the rules so they can be the winners in a new regime that's basically just the old one with different paint on! Meet the new boss, same as the old boss! Nah. There's only one party that's consistently putting the people, all the people, first. And it's the Queen's party! Vote RA! Viva la Reina!

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 1, 2020

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

voting for autonomy movement

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Make that a 2nd vote for the Autonomy Movement

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
“Well, I don’t know too much about politics, but I’m voting NCP because Anthe needs strong leadership. And Espindola looked me in the eye and gave me a firm handshake. I can just tell that the NCP is honest. Can you say the same about the rest?” - a man waiting to cast a ballot in Salvatierra

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

As Election Day nears, columns of mostly elderly women can be seen crossing the moon on every road, public and private transportation depositing these honored heads of households, who are accompanied by wary grandchildren....

:siren: 12 hours left to vote :siren:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
At a salon of slightly ill repute (and yet all the more popular for it):
Cyrano: My friends, have you heard of this thing called "Get Out the Vote?" Perhaps we should table a proposal for the next meeting of our local. After all, if we believe in the vote we should not hesitate to assist people in the exercise of their Franchise.

(something is caught at the edge of the recording)

Cyrano: Why obviously we should help everyone to the polls regardless of their caste or how they cast their ballot! That is the essence of Constitutionalism!

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Casting a freely-won vote for the Free Constitutionalist Party, the only party we can trust to move Anthe forward, instead of backwards into old regimes, old squabbles, and old thinking.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Casting a vote for the Royalist Alliance

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
A man stumbles into the crowds on election night, having passed through a distortion in the membranes of space-time, reeking of cannabis and ether. His unkempt appearance draws some attention, which is promptly investigated by a local patrol who, upon receipt of his valid Anthen identity and regional residence documents, shrug their shoulders and leave him on his way. Bearing small badges of the Royalist Alliance, he wanders toward the nearest voting location, his intent apparent to all passerby. Before crossing into the delineated no-campaigning area he pauses to pick up a leaflet of party literature, thumbing through the familiar lines and smiling as his eyes work down the page. As he turns it over, however, his expression freezes, then turns aghast.

"Wait, no, tha's not right. I know we purged those worms... And this ain't right either! They're missing the whole bit about the-

No... It can't! Our victory, success in the line struggle was historical inevitability! They can't have prevailed over our scientific tendency. The party must have been seized by a clique of renegades. Traitors! REVISIONISTS!!!"

Stung from the horror, he tosses the leaflet to the ground and hurriedly removes his flair. Left abandoned in this flow of time, he pauses to ponder his options.

"Well, no matter. After all, so long as we can defend our sovereignty, the laws of history will deliver us another chance to re-found the party with the correct positions and win the support of the masses. Best to critically support the resistance to Pallene imperialism for now."

The stranger from the other Anthe casts his vote for the National Construction Party. Bereft of the deep peasant organizational roots and personal ties to the monarch enjoyed by the mainline party, his subsequent attempts to organize a microsect are never able to amount to much.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

Danno Pheal
Royal Alliance

A retold speech made by Danno Pheal in the small hours before midnight, to an audience of himself, and one unknown eavesdropper.

The lone man lays back languidly, looking up at the night sky and sipping his drink.

"Well, I've done my bit, and said what I could say. And regardless of the results, my real work'll begin come tomorrow. And what a work it'll be! It'll be guided by whatever whoever puts into place as the new standard, and it'll be a shakeup, that's for sure! Maybe a Royal Alliance base shakeup, y'know? That'd be a good one, it'd be what we wanted. Got my opinions out there anyway, and the wants of the folks I've always known may very well be known properly now. Those folks, those folks... All o' em buggers, all of them. And those rumblings I heard from lots of other people with stakes in the election, they all have folks they represent, don't they, all have opinions and ideas for getting the world moving, though ain't all of them can be winners. And if I were to sum up how things have gone, well, it'd go somethin' like this."

The man clears his throat, and begins.

"As clear as one could see,
Everyone stepped into the ring.
And as it turned out be,
We questioned each and every thing.

Our rights and freedom in a swing,
Prosperity called for every which way.
Replacing bullets with words to sling,
And all will have had their say.

One might win, by end of day,
But now I can't rightly tell.
Might be us, might be they,
But if it's us, that's swell.

All Anthens we be in the end,
And Anthens, they don't bend."

The man coughs heavily after finishing, before chuckling and taking another sip of his drink, then raising it in tribute.

"Heck, well, here's to the Royal Alliance, what we have here, and what we'll have when this all has passed for a while!"

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

'The nature of Anthe's government over the de Luna period has meant that much of the population's natural political energy is expressed through subscription to an astounding and ever-growing constellation of conspiracy theories. Hardly any event is interpreted at face value in Anthen politics; every party, faction, or religious movement contains a substantial number of true believers in some sort of clandestine, foreign, planet-spanning conspiracy possessing control or influence over power. Certainly, the various intelligence agencies have contributed to this fevered atmosphere by promoting rumors which flatter them as all-seeing, omnipotent, and ruthless. They have also contributed to the list of conspiracy theories by regularly engaging in clandestine, foreign-backed, planet-spanning conspiracies, some of which have been rigorously documented, nearly all of which have been rigorously denied by the government. Intelligence misadventures like the 3604 Privato Massacre, the Plan Siege procurement scandal of the 3610s, the violent exposure of the Corrientes-based Takuary Lodge as a DCI front in 3621, and the excruciatingly public purge of a dozen high-ranking DIC officials by de Luna following the failure of 'Project Pane' in 3629 have fanned the allure of conspiracy like logs thrown onto embers. Does the death of De Luna mark an opportunity to dispel the cloud of rumors and hold state officials to account by declassifying records of criminal actions? Perhaps. But seekers of truth should steel themselves for the likely possibility of a thorough disappearing act of any real evidence by a nexus of interests who would find themselves mutually incriminated by a serious investigation.' - R. Karai, Assistant Prof. of Criminology at the Max Cerda Recording Center of the State School of Laibach, remarks given at a 3640 research symposium on Laibach.

IT IS THE QUEEN'S DESTINY TO BE THE DESTINY OF ANTHE. WHO REALLY PUT HER IN POWER. RESEARCH CONNECTIONS BETWEEN CHYMICUM GROUP AND DEPLOYMENT OF NEURO-ELECTROCHEMICAL SUPPRESSOR TECHNOLOGY BY ANTHEN NAVY 2ND FLEET. WHO DOES SHE OWE. RESEARCH PAYMENTS TO LAST HOUSEHOLD MILITIAS. WHY DCI BUILDING POWER BILL SO HIGH IN WHITE RAIN. RESEARCH LINK BETWEEN HOLY MAN OF THREE FOUNTAINS WITH PUNK ROCK WOMEN. WHO MADE HER. WHO MADE CANCER RATE 120X HIGHER SINCE 3510. WHO PRODUCES BIBERACH SHADOW RADIO STATIONS. RESEARCH CONNECTION BETWEEN STATE CREAM SODA PRODUCTION MONOPOLY AND PROJECT RED RAINBOW. WHAT WILL SHE DO FIRST. READ GOSPEL OF AL-RAYSUNI FOR SMILING QUEEN PROPHECY. HOW MANY DEAD MAN ARCHIVES SET TO BURN. QUESTION
- Graffiti found by a dead body in Poio's Fountain District

potion seller
Aug 31, 2020

Marisol Zahra Abd-Allah was taken under the wing of Belen Ahmad after leaving her parents to pursue a career in teaching. She was born in a small town, northwest of Piedra Del Sol. Her father, a former army officer who had retired after receiving a severe injury, quietly supported the government. Her mother, a seamstress who had worked for a Laibach politician, would have made a dedicated FCP voter. Her mother would always talk about how much she hated Anthe and its government. Her father did not speak much about what he believed in; he spent most of his time lingering in taverns frequented by fellow ex-soldiers. In her youth, Marisol felt that the only reason why her mother would bash the government was her infatuation with the Laibacher politician she once served, who had long forgotten about her; or maybe because her father forced her mother to move to Anthe with him, so that they could get married and live surrounded by his family and army buddies. Her mother would mutter as much when her husband wasn't home. Marisol grew up as an only child in a loveless household. Books filled her room, from Laibach philosophy to government textbooks on. Most of these books were fiction, and she was inspired to create her own stories; not about politics, but about love. Marisol was very stubborn, and as she grew older she began to challenge her mother's opinions. She knew that there was a bigger and more complex world than what her mother spoke to her about. With this fire growing in her breast, she took half of the money her mother saved up and left one day. Her money ran out in the countryside near Flor de Nochebuena. There, she found herself in a quaint little community that offered her room and board as a farmhand. She read all the books she could get her hands on, and after talking with a few of her neighbors, she decided to become a primary school teacher in the local rural school. After a few months of teaching, she became very close with some of the parents and teachers, and their stories and problems inspired her to seek out the politically-connected rural teachers in the towns near hers. Thus began her climb up the ranks of the rural teachers movement, and her association with Belen Ahmad, who recognized her talent and made her a personal secretary. Marisol, along with many of her colleagues and neighbors, has been promised a large wage increase, resources for her community members, and representation in government. She is supporting the Royal Alliance because she believes it has her and her community's best interests in mind.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Carla Juvarra leaves a message to her followers by flying a plane above the capital and, in a display of captivating skill, writing the following in the sky....

DO NOT VOTE FOR THE STEEL PACT

DEMOCRACY IS THE GARDEN OF FAILURE

ITS FRUIT WILL POISON AND BLIND YOU

THOSE WHO VOTE SHOULD BE PUNISHED AS TRAITORS TO THE NATIONAL SPIRIT AND GOD

BUT THOSE WHO VOTE FOR THE STEEL PACT ARE WORSE THAN TRAITORS

MADMEN DOGS REPUBLICANS ANTICHRISTS

STRIKE THEM DOWN WITH YOUR HOLY BLADES

DYED RED IN THE BLOOD OF OUR MARTYRS

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Jullian Situ NCP

To a hastily assembled collection of the press

This sort of wildly irresponsible and violent rhetoric from the Steel Pact is exactly why we in the NCP denounce the positions of the FCP in their quest for irresponsible speech. As someone who has himself been at the wrong end of the law due to my outspoken views, I feel I am best positioned to say that the state must continue to maintain its role in mediating the public airing of views in order to stop such intimidation in the future. I call on the authorities to pursue charges against the members of the Steel Pact responsible for this disgusting air graffiti and ask the FCP if they could enlighten us as to why they deem such threats to the law-abiding citizens of Anthe as deserving of no consequences? How can we respect the results of an election where many may feel they cannot participate for fear of retribution?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Manuel Cobos

So, first of all, I think I have to condemn Carla Juvarra's strange message in the strongest possible terms. "Out of line," and "inappropriate" do not even begin to approach how much I wish to condemn whatever the hell that was. But you all saw it for yourselves, so I don't think you need me to explain it to you this time.

As for Mr. Situ's claims, I hardly think it is appropriate for him to look at Juvarra's words and somehow immediately claim we're the ones at fault here. For one, the kind of speech we talk about, and the kind of speech the Steel Pact expresses are two entirely different kinds of things. Criticisms of the government, and accurate reporting of facts are not the same thing as calling for the literal murder of republicans. It is, in fact, possible to revise de Luna's repressive censorship laws and establish a general right to Free Speech without allowing explicit calls for murder.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 1, 2020

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Not sure if voting still open but if so voting for autonomy movement

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

:siren: Voting is CLOSED :siren:

Results posted today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Results of the March 3640 election

Royal Alliance = 33.5% = 134 Seats

National Construction Party = 27.75% = 111 Seats

Free Constitution Party = 25% = 100 Seats

Autonomy Movement = 11% = 44 Seats

Steel Pact = 2.75% = 11 Seats

The House of Deputies has been seated! As the party with the largest vote total, the RA has 48 hours from this post to form a majority government. If they cannot, the opportunity shall fall to the NCP, who shall have 48 hours, and etc.

Will post an update in the rules thread, but just a reminder that legislation requires a majority to pass, and constitutional amendments require a 2/3rds majority to pass. Each party member in a given party controls an amount of votes equal to Seats divided by PCs+NPCs - in a hypothetical example, if the Autonomy Movement had three players and an NPC leader, each would control 11 votes in the House of Deputies.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 1, 2020