Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

personally, i'm optimistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

animist posted:

Again, it is quite conceivable that life belongs to a limited stretch of time; that before the earliest geological ages it did not exist, and that the time may well come when the earth is again a lifeless, burnt-out, or frozen planet. To those of us who are aware of the extremely limited range of physical conditions under which the chemical reactions necessary to life as we know it can take place, it is a foregone conclusion that the lucky accident which permits the continuation of life in any form on this earth, even without restricting life to something like human life, is bound to come to a complete and disastrous end. Yet we may succeed in framing our values so that this temporary accident of living existence, and this much more temporary accident of human existence, may be taken as all-important positive values, notwithstanding their fugitive character. In a very real sense we are shipwrecked passengers on a doomed planet. Yet even in a shipwreck, human decencies and human values do not necessarily vanish, and we must make the most of them. We shall go down, but let it be in a manner to which we may look forward -- as worthy of our dignity.

-- Norbert Weiner, The Human Use of Human Beings

complex life on earth has existed for about as long as life on earth probably has left. as much lies ahead as behind, and our only question is: will we be there?

trumo is answering this question for us.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

animist posted:

Again, it is quite conceivable that life belongs to a limited stretch of time; that before the earliest geological ages it did not exist, and that the time may well come when the earth is again a lifeless, burnt-out, or frozen planet. To those of us who are aware of the extremely limited range of physical conditions under which the chemical reactions necessary to life as we know it can take place, it is a foregone conclusion that the lucky accident which permits the continuation of life in any form on this earth, even without restricting life to something like human life, is bound to come to a complete and disastrous end. Yet we may succeed in framing our values so that this temporary accident of living existence, and this much more temporary accident of human existence, may be taken as all-important positive values, notwithstanding their fugitive character. In a very real sense we are shipwrecked passengers on a doomed planet. Yet even in a shipwreck, human decencies and human values do not necessarily vanish, and we must make the most of them. We shall go down, but let it be in a manner to which we may look forward -- as worthy of our dignity.

-- Norbert Weiner, The Human Use of Human Beings

Why the gently caress does it have to HURT though.

Cancel humanity it was a mistake.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

fabergay egg posted:

complex life on earth has existed for about as long as life on earth probably has left. as much lies ahead as behind, and our only question is: will we be there?

trumo is answering this question for us.

:hmmyes:

trond being the avatar of the Great Filter is incredibly loving funny

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

at least things cant possibly get worse

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 235 days!
the great filter is a heady mix of cynicism lathered on top of napkin math, written when the available data barely existed, formulated in response to the failure of naive assumptions

it's like neoclassical economics applied to science and i hate it enough to point it out even though i know most of you know this

poo poo like the three body equation just takes the extra step and makes the underlying fascism crystal clear

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

If you seriously think this then you just aren't informed, I'm sorry. Me and the wife have our asylum tickets for Canada. Packing our bags tonight.

Say what you will, but our pres only totters on the steepest of ramps. Their prez just falls right down stairs.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Hodgepodge posted:

the great filter is a heady mix of cynicism lathered on top of napkin math, written when the available data barely existed, formulated in response to the failure of naive assumptions

it's like neoclassical economics applied to science and i hate it enough to point it out even though i know most of you know this

poo poo like the three body equation just takes the extra step and makes the underlying fascism crystal clear

At the beginning is a point, and at the end is a point.

Focus on the ongoing processes or you'll understand nothing.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Could be worse.

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1307870482184761345

You could be one of those guys.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

well, it happened. :sigh:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

A Russian troll farm posted:

personally, i'm optimistic

sincerely every generation thinks they are the last one. i got weed and smokes and i am 95% sure we'll come up w some contraption to clean up the atmosphere. we wont learn nothing from it but who cares. humanity peaked here anyway:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%87atalh%C3%B6y%C3%BCk

quote:

Çatalhöyük has strong evidence of an egalitarian society, as no houses with distinctive features (belonging to royalty or religious hierarchy, for example) have been found so far. The most recent investigations also reveal little social distinction based on gender, with men and women receiving equivalent nutrition and seeming to have equal social status, as typically found in Paleolithic cultures.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

If you seriously think this then you just aren't informed, I'm sorry. Me and the wife have our asylum tickets for Canada. Packing our bags tonight.

I don't think that obviously but lol @ fleeing to Canada.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

It happened again :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I could literally go on Twitter right now and say that the whole Constitution of the United States is a QAnon Deep State hoax and that it doesn’t exist — that there is no US Constitution, no first amendment, no second amendment, no thirteenth-through-fifteenth amendments, no eighteenth amendment, no preamble, NO NOTHING — and tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of people would believe me and promote the idea of same, and the President of the United States Donald John Trump might actually publicly endorse it too.

That there is no such thing as the US Constitution.

That the one thing the President of the United States Donald John Trump is supposed to protect as the most fundamental part of his job does not exist, and in fact, never once existed at all.

Let’s all think about that.