Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

screamin and creamin posted:

My problem with the cliffhanger at the end of Ep.3 was that nothing of value was in jeopardy.

I haven’t watched the 2 new eps but I have no idea why father just forgot all about him lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
ridley scott breaks down on the highway, gets out of his car, raises the hood and is genuinely confused that his engine is not made of milk, spaghetti and marbles

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

I haven’t watched the 2 new eps but I have no idea why father just forgot all about him lol.

Didn't Father and Mother agree that each would go after one of the groups?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, they did. It was just weird cause he could have just grabbed him with his pod that could anywhere in 5 minutes, he had him on the tracker, and then she didn't even bother to look for him either. Maybe the new eps shed more light on it, but it was a pretty goofy ending.

It just felt like they flat out forgot about him.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Episodes 4 and 5 spoilers:

I don't think it would make any sense considering that he was supposed to be a senior church member, however part of me wondered if the rapist would turn out to be Campion.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I’m enjoying this, but I also got it in my head that it’s best viewed as YA fiction and not some deep, hard-scifi examination of humanity, AI, morality, and consciousness.

I’m guessing the Mithras worship Sol because a nuclear winter blotted out the sun and they blame atheists.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why does she have corn rows in robot mode
Cultural appropriation. Mithras ain’t woke.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why does she have corn rows in robot mode

I've noticed a lot of allusions to Medusa with mother. The cornrows remind me of snakes, her stare causing instant death and the prisoner entering what they thought was her lair with a mirror shield.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It bothers me that all the night shots are clearly day-for-night shots just handled in post

I don’t know why because the uncanny weird nighttime light should be just fine for a planet that isn’t earth and a star that isn’t our sun, but it bugs me

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ego-bot posted:

I've noticed a lot of allusions to Medusa with mother. The cornrows remind me of snakes, her stare causing instant death and the prisoner entering what they thought was her lair with a mirror shield.

Oh nice

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok I just blew through 1-5 yesterday. I was confused about the Arks. Is there just 1 Ark or multiple? I know there are budget restrictions with a TV show but when mother was onboard the Ark it just felt small so I was thinking there might be more of them? Plus the crew shown seemed like way small for 1000 people?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok I just blew through 1-5 yesterday. I was confused about the Arks. Is there just 1 Ark or multiple? I know there are budget restrictions with a TV show but when mother was onboard the Ark it just felt small so I was thinking there might be more of them? Plus the crew shown seemed like way small for 1000 people?

Seems like it's just the 1 ark and the 1 ship that had Mother and Father. It was 10000 people iirc.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Seems like it's just the 1 ark and the 1 ship that had Mother and Father. It was 10000 people iirc.

That's like Passengers class or Pandorum class. This felt small. You'd think Ridley would have complained a wee bit.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ep. 5 spoiler

in ep. 5, in the big skeleton, they say there’s a possibility other humans arrived earlier.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
TBH the earth flash back sequences seem pretty meh. Would have been cool to have them be more big while also shorter like the flashbacks in T1/T2.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought it was pretty funny when in the flashback there were loudspeakers that kept blaring out The Earth is uninhabitable for humans due to low oxygen levels on loop

Like in the fiction of this world there were people just minding their own business, not paying attention to politics, and they would listen to the broadcast on their morning commute to work and go Oh gosh, all the oxygen is gone? I knew something felt different when I woke up, isn't that a bother

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The lab was also a bit TV cringe. Spaceship just chillin out by the warehouse door ready to fly away. Dude steps offscreen to grab a baby. Grab a pizza. Whatever.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Well, there were non specified time skips between scenes so I imagine him being from a well connected family going rebel (and seemingly some pretty important rebel since he was responsible for hacking the androids) he somehow got people to acquire it.

But yeah, there were some very cringy scenes

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It bothers me that all the night shots are clearly day-for-night shots just handled in post

I suspect this is because the show has a lot of children in the cast.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
This show has some minor issues but its so weird and interesting and I have absolutely no idea where its heading so I am enjoying it quite a bit. Its not asking much as an investment either so Im super happy to just tune into "weird android hour" once a week.

Like I said earlier, theres a lot of Biblical parable vibes to it and I really really dig that. I could see a lot of this written in strange Biblical prose with weirdly framed morality tales for the children of the future of this bizzare civilization that hypothetically emerges.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I still don't understand why mother keeps taking her god eyes out all the time it's an unnecessary vulnerability. For what?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

I still don't understand why mother keeps taking her god eyes out all the time it's an unnecessary vulnerability. For what?

Because she's concerned that, as a malfunctioning robot, she will accidentally eye scream one of the children to death.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Shaocaholica posted:

I think it’s because if she goes off accidentally she could explode a kid or two.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh no it would be a shame if that happened to Campion :geno:

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Yeah when she’s in a hurry in ep 3 she tells the children to please not look at her since she’s still weaponized even untransformed

I would try not to think too hard about it. They’re not making an effort to explain too much of the deets

I like the allegory to Medusa pointed out upthread that’s a cool little bit with knights and a mirror shield lol

Edit: I really liked Mother’s memory scene it was cute

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ah cool design bro. Now we know how to take them out. Just shoot for the eyes. Also wear ear pro. I'm holding out for the necro in the into with the big anime laser beam.

'necro BEAM!!!!!'

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Ah cool design bro. Now we know how to take them out. Just shoot for the eyes. Also wear ear pro. I'm holding out for the necro in the into with the big anime laser beam.

'necro BEAM!!!!!'

She's been shot in the face and the chest multiple times to no effect.

And the eye attack isn't just sound based, it's vision based.

You're watching this show while you're on you're phone, right?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I didn't even know it was an eye attack. I just thought it was the eyes that unlock her true form. Like when she melted those guys faces the blast came from her mouth. That's why you have to wear NBC suits.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

I didn't even know it was an eye attack. I just thought it was the eyes that unlock her true form. Like when she melted those guys faces the blast came from her mouth. That's why you have to wear NBC suits.

That was my understanding as well.

As to whether it's an attack that comes from her eyes or her mouth. Yes. It's freaky and effective and I really don't care if they never explain how it works.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I like how she left half the kids in the snow room on the ark.

"So kids, we're going to foam 2 groups...."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ego-bot posted:

Also her fake name was Lamia

Also: holy poo poo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamia

quote:

in ancient Greek mythology, was a woman who became a child-eating monster after her children were destroyed by Hera, who learned of her husband Zeus's trysts with her. Hera also afflicted Lamia with sleeplessness so she would anguish constantly, but Zeus gave her the ability to remove her own eyes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Shaocaholica posted:

I like how she left half the kids in the snow room on the ark.

"So kids, we're going to foam 2 groups...."

I thought that too but I think it was mirrors to make the room look bigger.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol the rapist is like a Dark Souls NPC.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

veni veni veni posted:

He even talks like a Souls NPC.

Also, standing still while someone talks to him

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 12, 2020

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

His helmet even looks like Lautrec of Carim from DS1.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is the rapist helmet guy the same as the indian priest in the holodeck? Someone on youtube said that but I don't think he is at all the voice is totally different.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

The entire Church of Sol is a dark souls npc

This is a weird show lads, I'm not sure what to think

Also feel like people should be more concerned about the giant viper skeletons, like maybe even noticing them

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

priznat posted:

I thought that too but I think it was mirrors to make the room look bigger.

No mirrors. There are clearly kids in this room that don't make it planetside :(

"2 groups kids! We're going to play hide and seek. First group I want you to close your eyes and count to 100!"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This show has made me realize that I have a thing for women with asymmetric mullets that look like they were done with hedge clippers.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, the mullets are probably the best part of the show. You could cut everything else and it just be mullets and I'd still watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I laughed at how even the necromancers had them.