Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I liked the season, I like this weird show

So, the way I understood it:

- the technocrats vs believers war had been going on that planet for a long time, but here the atheists have won, by creating the "dark photon" (?) android tech

- the atheist put Gramma in charge, and she decides to devolve humanity

- the believers becomes the resistance, trying to stop and undo Grandmother's work. For that they create biotech like the seed, the snake, all those relics etc. These are the weird cultist guys we see

- they lose anyway. but than they find earth and manage to send a signal, with the scriptures. The scriptures contains the dark photon tech and are meant to manipulate humans here into destroying their own planet so they will have to flee to 22b (also releaved in the scriptures) where they can free 22b humanity again

- the Mithraic become dominant on Earth, thanks to the tech in scriptures, but during the war against the local atheists, the planet becomes uninhabitable, all according to the plan. Humans flee to 22b where they are manipulated by the signal to wake the bio weapons meant to free humanity from Gramma. But than Father wakes Grandmother too, and she uses Mother to defeat the snake (probably meant to free and/or "re-evolve" humans or something like that), and than disables Mother herself, so she can resume her work and devolve all this fresh new humans too

- the fact that she lost the veil is starting to get attached to Father is probably going to be her weak spot

The part I have trouble making sense is that we also had technocrats on earth, just like the original ones, for some reason (maybe they also send some kind of signal to earth?). Also the whole plan actually depended on earth's technocrats, and not the mithraic, hijacking sending a modified necromancer to 22b

edit: also I hope the fact that almost every human left ate the strange fruit from Sue-Tree is going to have some consequence next season. Also I hope there's going to be a next season

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im just now reading the thread. What is OG Campion?

And I also felt pretty bad for baby snake.

After what he know about Gramma, Im pretty sure its wanst evil at all and it didint want to destroy the planet

Im sure that without the veil Mother would have understood it at that moment in space, and would not have destroyed it

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 4, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's the original man who reprogrammed Mother and Father (and the Trust) and sent the pair of robots and the embryos to Keppler. Campion, the kid, was named after him.

He turns up in some of the flashbacks in Season one.

Ah yes, I forgot he was also called Campion

edit

I think he also received some revelation from the signal to create Mother. He was a mithriac before, right? Probably he also got some kind of message that prompted him to switch sides and do what he did so a necromancer would be sent to 22b

The way I see, the signal was manipulating both sides of the war in order put the pieces it needed in place on 22b

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 4, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zachack posted:

I assume they originally looked like humans and are now partially devolved, one tooth or starfish away from merman/chupacabra. Hence father at the end of s1 saying iirc that the parkour one was a devolved Neanderthal.

One thing I would like explained is how old the relics on Kepler are supposed to be. The ruins and surviving critters (plus the apparent speed of devolution for the humans) come across like entity things happened 100 years ago, not hundreds of thousands. Either that or there's a big underground Neanderthal city we haven't seen.

Very late but: yeah, thats what i thought too

These are the humans left, but they were already in the process of devolution too, just in an early stage

My theory is that these remaining rational human are the ones who created the cult and the signal and the bioweapons (adapting the techonocrats dark photon tech) to resist the technocrats AI

And than, when they failed, found a way to send transmissions to earth to try and get the humans here to go there to free them from the AI

And knowing Ridley Scott, I would bet the reason the humans in 22b knew about Earth is because they were the ones who seeded life here billions of years ago in the first place (or maybe just messed with our evolution to create humans here)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 4, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zachack posted:

I think something missing from your various comments is the presence of Sol/Entity, because an actual god-like power changes a lot of what you wrote.

Me?

I believe Sol/Entity is just something that human resistance came up with, something like a Wizard of Oz. Maybe originally intended to flock the more devolved humans away from the AI control, and than used to manipulate humans on Earth to do as they needed (go to 22b).

And its god-like powers are just future tech

The AI created the EMF field to prevent it from influencing the ex-humans on the tropical part of the planet. But for some reason, it left the rest of the planet unprotected, and than from there they were able to send the transmission to Earth

Something like that

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ill be very very disappointed

Im really loving this crazy story and now I cant stop speculating about it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I also thought S2 was both faster and weirder than 1, but I like them both

Also S1 was less weird ion general, but the snake birth surely took most by surprise. I guess in S2 we were already expecting the weird

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I like Campion. I like that refused both the technocratic ideology and the mithriac faith and made up his own radical pacifist vegan ideology.

And than feel in love with a faceless murderous robot girl

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, I didn't find absurd at all either

Tempest is my favorite character asking the "children"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Inst the neanderthal supposed to be a devolved human?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eiba posted:

I thought there was some implication that the Mithraic texts were ancient, but I'm not confident that they actually said that now that I think about it.

I always imagined, if this is supposed to be our future and not an alternate history, people in our future discover ancient texts somewhere on Earth, Dead Sea Scroll style, and when it turns out to have a bunch of complex technology encoded in it somehow, it kick-starts a pretty understandable new religion that has a solid claim to being actually divinely inspired.

Im not 100% sure but I think its said the texts were received by someone in a revelation (so Sol talking in their head)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i like how all of the characters in the fantastical work completely accept every fantastical turn without any real reaction

"sue turned into a tree and the fifty foot flying snake that can fly because a murderbot gave birth to it ate the sue tree and now it's weaponised. it's a living weapon."

"oh. okay."

- oh so you had superpowers cause you had robot eyes in your stomach?
- yes
- oh ok lol. I thought it was god acting through you

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I feel a bit like them cause while in season 1 I was like "what the poo poo" in a lot of moments but them in season 2 I was mostly "oh cool she turned into a tree"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It inst worst than how The 100 handled radiation and I was able to forgive that too

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Now lets talk about the science of robot milk

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

No Pants posted:

Mother and Father immediately set up camp next to the giant hole, they knew what they were doing.

Wanst that because the hole is warm and they were in the cold side of the planet?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im turning myself into a tree in front of the studio offices

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I said come in! posted:

This is some loving horse poo poo. gently caress you HBO. :/ I'm really god drat bummed out about this news.

Same. I really liked this weird show, my favorite scifi TV in some time

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I said come in! posted:

Instead we are getting more Game of Thrones that is likely to be complete trash. Raised by Wolves was some of the most unique and original sci-fi we've gotten in a real long time.

Yeah, dumb GoT spin offs that will probably be cancelled too after 1 season

And more Westworld, a show that became incredibly stupid after 1 good season

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah now Marcus is going be upside down on the beach forever :(

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

SirPablo posted:

I need to know what happens to those that ate the forbidden fruit.

My personal theory was is that it was going to protect them from devolving

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CODChimera posted:

I think the show might get saved, it's certainly an option

We need to pour robot milk on it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Sol is real, I don’t think the show leaves much doubt about it. He spoke into other’s peoples heads, not only with Marcus. He also somehow sent a message to earth which included the tech for the necromancer droids and the location of kepler

The question is if it’s really a god (probably not), not if it’s real or really communicated with Marcus

My personal theory was that he was a Wizard of Oz of sorts which the human resistance (comprised of the last humans who somehow evaded devolution, or at least were less devolved, like that dude Marcus found below the temple) created to try to drive the devolved humans away from the droids rule. They also created all the biotech that seems Sol related, like the snakes and trees and etc (probably adapting tech they stole from the droids)

They fought the droids and they lost, and than Grandma created that electromagnetic pulse to block its signal on the good part of the planet and thought it was over. Except the cold part of the planet was still unblocked so the human resistance managed to send the signal to our earth (the Sol revelation) to try to get humans from here to go there and help them free themselves. Also they knew about our earth because humans originated in keppler and were sent here some time in a distant past for some reason

Anyway, we will never know now

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CODChimera posted:

the writers have specifically stated that Sol is at the center of the planet

honestly have no idea how you managed to watch both seasons and think Sol isn't a real thing. i guess lucius just magically knew to steal the helmet artifact and do that whole ritual with marcus

Yeah it's baffling, to be honest

There is something who talks into people's heads and makes them see stuff and that's probably the same something who sent a message to earth with Keplers location and info about it and the droid tech, which is also something that happened and it also wanst just people being crazy because necromancers do exist and the planet was there and full of stuff like the temples that matches the revelation they got from "Sol". These are all facts within the story

The question is what Sol is, not if it really exists. It does

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 13, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Khanstant posted:

She heard something and bleieved it to be sol

Yeah, exactly.

And thats something IS Sol, whatever Sol is. Is the same something who spoke to Marcus and others, the same something that sent a message to earth starting the Sol religion and containing the specs for the necromancers and telling them to go to Kepler-22b and so on

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

uber_stoat posted:

they're going to make 50 new games of thrones. money has to come from somewhere.

And each and every single one of them will fail

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eau de MacGowan posted:

the mandalorian = raised by wolves in that they're the only two sci fi shows worth a drat in the last ten years, one by being conventional as poo poo and the other by being unconventional as poo poo

Not true at all. Just of the top of my head:
The Expanse, Counterpart, Severance

Also The Mandalorian S1 was fun but S2 was already meh.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

priznat posted:

I was really impressed how season 2 brought me back after really being annoyed with the bizarre S1 ending. By keeping up the balls to the wall weirdness and introducing the other atheist ship along with the new locale with all its oddness it really shifted into overdrive. You couldn’t help but get sucked in to it.

Also the show has probably one of the best opening credits sequence and music, it’s so great.

Yeah, it is something that instead of backing down from the weirdness of S1 last episode (which I did liked, but a lot of people complained about) they doubled it, and than doubled it again each episode

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hughmoris posted:

At this point, I'd be happy with a two hour movie to wrap things up.

That would be awesome, but I don’t think we are getting it

Hell, at this rate I would be happy enough with a leaked script to read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I kinda liked Dark (though I still didint watch the final season) but I would not say its "good"

Its fun as a time travel story/puzzle with some crazy mind bending twists but thats it