Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

This is a good comparison.

Unfortunately I think a lot of sci fi watchers are sorta intellectually insecure, and used to game-like decision making, so you get all these game-theory style judgments of character decisions and comprehensibility of plot instead of taking in the fantastical and imaginative world building.

"Why would they call it a 'necromancer' if it doesnt literally raise dead bodies to do its bidding???"

i'm enjoying the show but i kinda would like to know why they are called necromancers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

looking back it was probably obvious but the pregnancy being bad wasn't something i was expecting at all. i kinda lost interest after the pregnancy reveal but the snake stuff was hosed up and god but then they immediately ruin it by not being able to kill it. huh?

also i have no idea what's going on but there's nothing really burning that i want answered. maybe why they are called necromancers? was that revealed anywhere? weird loving show

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i wonder if the second season will answer questions or they will just keep moving forward with new unexplainable poo poo. honestly i hope it's the latter

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Gonz posted:

I want the space lamprey to talk.

only if they sound like gandalf and turn out to be the good guys

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i don't want answers, i want even more crazier poo poo piled on top so you forget about the earlier mysteries

no amount of answers are going to satisfy the 'i need answers' people. it'll probably end up like Lost in which a lot of the answers are simply 'magic' and then people will complain about how the smoke monster doesn't make sense, except this time it's a snake monster

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

honestly if they don't just double down and make this weirder and weirder i will be disappointed. you ripped the band-aid off with that last episode so let's do this poo poo.

yeah it's really the only way forward

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Sheriff Falc posted:

To expand on my previous point I think the show doesn't play well for a broad audience because it casts a very wide net of stuff that can and will turn people off. I recommended the show to 3 different people who I would describe as pretty average audience members (ie not sci-fi diehards or Ridley Scott superfans but keen enough to jump in to the show based on the trailer, which was very good) and they all bounced off it for various reasons. I think of the 3 people, 1 will likely watch S2. The things I recall them mentioning:

1. Not terrific child acting, particularly in the first few episodes - and a lot of focus on a couple of child actors' characters arcs, so it's hard to ignore and just focus on other parts of the show. One person I recommended the show to just really hated Campion's actor and couldn't get past that so they stopped watching
2. A pretty complex sci-fi plot with plenty of different-than-usual plot/writing decisions (calling it plot holes is probably not completely accurate) to pick at if that's something that pisses you off - and a few horror movie trope 'characters acting idiosyncratically or illogically in order to advance the plot because otherwise the plot would be boring' moments. Mother chillin' alone in the forest having cyber with her boyfriend is the biggy
3. A very irregular protagonist (and deuteragonist for the most part in space Ragnar) who isn't really 'good' or 'bad' and due to the specific nature of her character the actor has to both underperform and overperform the character at different times. For a couple of people I have spoken to about this show the whiplash they got from Mother's performance was a big factor in their overall dislike or indifference to the show. One person mentioned that Mother basically exterminating most of the remaining members of the human race (as far as you know at that point) at the end of the first episode meant they had a lot of trouble with the parts of the plot in later episodes which were designed to flesh out Mother's character and make her seem more relatable/human. Mother was really the highlight of the show for me but there you go. I think for a lot of the average audience member or somebody who's not really specifically invested in anything else about the show it can be pretty uncomfortable watching when you're not exactly rooting for anybody to succeed and are just sort of along for the ride
4. Goofy sci-fi aesthetic, particularly for the first episode or two (most obvious in the first half of the first episode) before it shifts tonally into something with a lot more texture
5. The plot pacing and focus shifts dramatically in the last 3 episodes or so, and one person I recommended the show to mentioned the gear shift from the first 7 episodes into the last 3 felt poorly executed

Then, if you are cool with all that stuff for the first ~8.5 episodes and stick with it, Ridley hits you square in the jaw with the goddamn

Flying space snake aborted fetus vomit birth
Eyeball consumption fatality
Planetary core adventure DLC
Dodecahedron dream sequences
Talc powder boi
and whatever other weird poo poo I forgot about

This show was never going to be everyone's cup of tea, but the fact it's just so different to basically everything else on TV at the moment is what also makes it extremely My poo poo. I know 3 people isn't exactly a scientific sample size, but my biggest fear is that the show is alienating too much of its potential audience with the above and S2 will get a lot less viewership because of it, causing the show to not get renewed and then we have to wonder what the gently caress is in the dodecahedron for the rest of eternity.

this show could go on for 20 seasons and you're still going to be left wondering what is going on

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Sheriff Falc posted:

By Season 20 the show will have been revealed to be a project secretly created as the direct sequel to Lost and we'll all still be wondering whether everyone on the island is dead or not.

watching people live post on here and not understand the ending of Lost is what radicalized me

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Goddamn I love this stupid show, it's the one thing on tv I'm actually looking forward to

e: just thinking about it makes me wanna do drugs again

:hmmyes:

we need the second season already so we can have none of our questions answered

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

This thread is just active enough to keep giving me false hope that the new season just dropped, but it's always just some basic bitch whining about how much they hate milk and robots and snakes followed up by a bunch of random poo poo posting.

yeah it's annoying as hell but we will never stop

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

there's a bunch of weird poo poo in there so that's good but the lack of giant snakes is concerning

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

is this weekly episodes or all at once?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Gonz posted:

First two episodes back to back, and then weekly episodes.

awesome. i hope we see the snake at least once tomorrow

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Gonz posted:

So.

Uhhhhhhh. Hey.

What the gently caress happened to that coroner dude?! :stare:

that was like the best part of both episodes

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yeah the tanks were right out of a command and conquer cutscene

it owned

did the tanks seem out of scale in certain shots?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like the colonists could probably be a little more careful in general around the insta death acid sea

i can't believe they made it through 2 episodes with only like 10 casualties

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Well let me just say how glad I am that someone is finally doing a survey of this weird rear end planet that is littered with android corpses, dodecahedrons and nanotech tarot cards

yeah except for the fact that hardly anyone seems to give a gently caress

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i did like how space ragnar munched down on the weird growth thing on the plant with little worry. truly sol protects him

also the snake is the good guy

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Septimius posted:

How many died in these episodes ,25 out of 300? There better be another ark or we're gonna run out of people fast.

2 guards to the acid water
9 to the acid water because of the snake
1 escapee to the bomb collar
1 to touching the android milk?
2-3 killed by space ragnar

i think that's it

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

do we know much or any backstory regarding Sol? or what kicked off the war? i know S1 had some flashbacks but I can't remember them giving many details

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

cool thanks. looks like a few hoops to go through to actually read it but i will at some point

a lot going on in this episode. firstly holy gently caress we are getting a lot of the snake and i love that he's chill. but there's another one? and the regrowing android is definitely going to be evil

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

oh and the chainsaw gladiator. who the gently caress fights him usually??

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Imagine watching this show with the mindset of “I want answers to all the mysteries” . I imagine that would be pretty frustrating lol.

i don't want answers, i want more chainsaw robots, monsters and ancient androids brought back to life.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

I immediately assumed the sneks veggy diet was a ruse to gain their trust and will soon get the munchies.

it can't survive the acid water. its pretty weird editing with the snake showing up at that exact moment and later the bodies being mauled and not dissolved in the acid but whatever

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uh, which bodies were mauled?

Right after the acid water incident the guy does a briefing about the attack and shows pics of the bodies. And they all think it wants blood

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

they all ran into the container that got pulled into the acid water and it sinks immediately lol. its just poor editing or whatever

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

holy gently caress, this is moving at lightning speed. the bio weapon attack in the first like 5 minutes. what? it turns people into snakes? so strange. and that creature in the acid water? starting to think Father was wrong about this side being safer

"A mystery" *winks at the audience*

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Xaintrailles posted:

Yeah this was a good one.
I'm gonna call doll-droid has faked her death. Although I wouldn't really be surprised by anything, because this show is great.

yeah and they will leave her face ripped off

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

the acid creatures are mermaids

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

frogbs posted:

Was thinking about the show today and had a feeling that the show’s gonna end up being a time loop. Can’t point to one thing exactly but there’s enough ingredients in place that I could see them going that way…

yeah i could see that happening pretty easily.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Completely loving bullshit that there are only two episodes left in this microseason, that this hasn't been renewed yet and that even in the best case scenario we will have to wait 1-2 years for new stuff. There are like 57 bland, almost identical superhero comic shows airing right now and we can't even have this one little pumpkin snake show :argh:

is it not 8 episodes?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Gonz posted:

It is indeed 8 episodes.

praise sol

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The Trust sucked, they couldn't even deal with Space Ragnar

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i don't have a loving clue as to what's going on

what are these seeds that everyone is talking about now?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

eschaton posted:

The dodecahedron that was just laying at the base of that one giant tree for Campion and Paul to discover. Paul brought it back to camp, Campion ratted him out to Mother, it was given over to the Trust.

ahh okay thanks.

so Sol wants those planted and he wanted the snake. but why?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

frogbs posted:

This was a good episode but I do think that BY LAW they have to include a shot of a floating space snake in every episode, and this episode did not have one and that upset me.

we've gotten so much snake content and lore that i'm okay with this

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

we don't know what's going on outside of heavily generalized statements

and hopefully we will never know

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I hope he continues to wriggle out of every jam

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

what is happening

Adbot