Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well just tell her she sucks and is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sticksy posted:

In the opening credits there’s a montage of a bunch of nukes going off and I think there was a title card early on that alluded to it.

I could see the necromancers being deemed by the religious as unholy or OP or something to that effect, like how crossbows were prohibited by the Pope at one point.

Or maybe (which I think would be fitting given that this is from Ridley Scott and he’s all about examining android’s sentience and the moral implications of them for humanity and themselves among other themes), they were deemed too unreliable and dangerous to employ them, Mother being a good example.

But the necros were the weapon of the religious?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

priznat posted:

What kind of milk stays good after 13 years or whatever it was?!? That was my first reaction to that :haw:

The androids are not only handy domestic helpers, they are also high-end, super-efficient refrigerators. That's why milk spurts out every time they are hit. he containers are only used for excess milk that is not currently being android-rejuvenated.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

I haven’t watched the 2 new eps but I have no idea why father just forgot all about him lol.

Didn't Father and Mother agree that each would go after one of the groups?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought it was pretty funny when in the flashback there were loudspeakers that kept blaring out The Earth is uninhabitable for humans due to low oxygen levels on loop

Like in the fiction of this world there were people just minding their own business, not paying attention to politics, and they would listen to the broadcast on their morning commute to work and go Oh gosh, all the oxygen is gone? I knew something felt different when I woke up, isn't that a bother

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

This show has made me realize that I have a thing for women with asymmetric mullets that look like they were done with hedge clippers.

Hell, same

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The eldest boy bothers me the most. For a character portrayed as a giant wuss he sure does have opinions on what everyone else but him should be doing.

That's the point

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If all you need is to bash the necro with an axe., what was the point of all the elaborate ambush plans

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Open Source Idiom posted:

Campion I'm fairly sympathetic to a well, he's genuinely just trying to do the right thing.

The actor is awful, though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's pretty funny that Mother let a bunch of small kids burn to death, but saved a "kid" who is realistically an adult. It makes sense structurally because the show needed somebody who could conceivably stand up to her, but it makes no sense thematically for the character.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm listening to the show podcast and one major point they are talking about is the question of how we gonna teach intelligent machines morality and that if we do it through a black box machine learning approach, it will be "off" in very weird and unpredictable ways in certain situations. I think Mother is programed to only care about her own children and she doesn't appear to assign any value to mithraic human life (just like they don't assign any value to atheist lifes). So she sets out to kill everyone on the ark to protect Champion and the colony, but then she adopts 5 of the children as her own, so they are no longer allowed to die. The other children don't hold any special value to her and she has no problem with killing them. They are just random enemies. It's like tribalism, but even more extreme because Mother has full control of who she feels empathy for, unlike a human.

I get that, it's just that in a room full of children in need of raising and protection, she adopted a bunch of teenagers and an adult.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My theory is that the planet has some properties that were known to the founders of the Mithriatic religion and that all the prophecies, the Ark etc have been designed to lure them into paticipating in some sort of malevolent social experiment, previously set up by behind the scenes actors.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Odoyle posted:

In the first episode Mother says that they are to name the youngest after their creator, ostensibly somebody else named Campion. God I hope we don’t get into time travel grandfather paradox fuckery.

That's just the robot fetishist guy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's very good actually, I also liked Lost by the way.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xealot posted:

Yeah, you're asking hardline religious fundamentalists to be rational about their 2000-year-old religion. Wearing mixed-fiber clothing is as sinful as homosexuality in the Old Testament, but try asking an Evangelical Christian about it.

I have trouble reconciling that part of the premise: in the war between Atheists and Fundies, it's the fundies who have super-science magic tech and the atheists who improvise weapons from garbage. You'd think the "atheists" would be the ones more comfortable pushing the boundaries of science, developing advanced AI and what-not. But they're resorting to child-soldiers and IED's while the Evangelicals are the ones building Star Trek-level FTL and super-killbots. I guess Sol isn't as anti-science as Jesus.

At this point it seems pretty obvious that the "religious" group are the onews who received secret alien technology and built their identity around it; the atheists are those who rejected it / were attacked by the Mithraics and are at a disadvantage since they have to rely on conventional equipment.

And the religion is referring to the worship of the alien guidance, whether the Mithraics realize it or not.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
This show straight up owns.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If the higher ups at HBO do their job and listen to the advice from my letters, there's going to be a spin off show of androids just sucking on each others' milk.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yes, we all know that shooting the only doctor, who is also the only adult, is one of the expert survivalist moves and that societies which take care to kill off all adults and all doctors are the ones that thrive.

He's the best survivalist in the Unabomber sense, not the Jim Bridger or Nando Parrado sense.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only place not corrupted by children... SPACE

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
People need to
1) recognize this wasn't written by Ridley Scott, or his failson
2) learn to be able to say they liked something without wrapping it in thousand qualifiers

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Anza Borrego posted:

So how will the “electromagnetic interference” in the tropical zone work out, I wonder?

There are people living in the tropics, and the snek civilization is keeping them hidden behind an EM screen.

It turns out this show is actually a reboot of Stargate.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
More like Ridley Scat

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Much like fusion energy, the technology of goons washing their hair is always 50 years away, but we must do whatever possible to keep the hope alive.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What an opportune time to revive the thread

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mean Bean Machine posted:

but this show sucks rear end

Yeah, it's really good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
hell yeah, gimme milky

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope the snake steps on some people

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh no, Campion was eaten offscreen by a snake. What a tragedy. Nonetheless...

Alternatively:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Those tanks are made of recycled Nilfgard armor from The Witcher season 1

Loving the new season, hoping they don't kill everybody off as fast as the last time

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I would simply not build my colony on the coast of Instant Death Mega Acid Ocean

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xaintrailles posted:

Still good but it feels like they're slowing down a bit compared to the insane plot insane revelation helter skelter that was most of the last series.

e: still excellently insane though, lactating robot lol

I mean the middle of the first season was a bunch of family vignettes... It's just that the batshit bits overshadow the rest

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They already drove the snake to the planet core, if they are going for a fertilization metaphor in the future, i don't know how how they could make it any more direct than that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Can't wait for further adventures of the crew on Snek in the Family

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

theflyingexecutive posted:

The tropical zone fruit isn't radioactive though

Yet

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
This show has some of the worst day for night shots I've ever seen, and it's really starting to bug me

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 17, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

Things happened in other episodes but they felt like complete nonsense. Things in this episode felt like they sort of made some sense and that the things that happened were connected to something else and not just made up on the spot while writing the episode.

Yeah, this episode was a bit of a let down let's hope the next one won't repeat this mostake

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

Hopefully if there’s a season 3, we find a Dracula region of Kepler-22b.

Where the Draculas reign.

Guest directed by Gregg Turkington

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I stopped watching with the S1 finale, does the show make any lick of sense now?

No, it's still good

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i can't process that this is a streaming television show that hbo produced. i am overwhelmed with gratitude that not one single button down rear end in a top hat in the process nixed the acid mermaid kidnap scene.

This, but milky androids, and real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01l_jMhjVM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ex post facho posted:

again, 3 moons, dunno why the super bright night scenes are an issue

and, frankly, better being able to clearly make out scenes set at "night" than, say, any night time episode of GOT

It looks like poo poo no matter how hard they justify it in lore.

Just have fewer night scenes