Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Goddamn, if it's sci-fi and weird there is no way in hell I'm not watching it. I'm totally onboard after ep 3

Also, reminds me of my own parents and childhood. Lots of flashbacks and trauma being unburied here :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, the mullets are probably the best part of the show. You could cut everything else and it just be mullets and I'd still watch it

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I really like the fantastical/surreal setting. It was a great choice to not set this in Generic Gray Apple Future®. There are some minor inconsistencies though like the planet being named after Kepler, who lived more than a millennium after Mithraism went extinct. Same for Boston. The original Boston in England was named after a christian saint, centuries after Mithraism. Seems like these are too big to be oversights though. Maybe there is a plot reason.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

I saw it as our timeline but Mithraism making some sort of come back and not an alt timeline where christ didn't exist.

I don't see how that's possible though. According to wikipedia Mithraism is completely extinct with no scripture or information about their beliefs or rituals remaining. And it seems to have been a pretty generic cult with nothing special about it. Qanon has a way better chance of becoming the new world religion than Mithraism.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Gonz posted:

Yeah, even in Interstellar, there were thousands of embryos and Anne Hathaway and a sentient Tetris piece were going to raise them alone.

12 people just isn’t enough genetic diversity to restart humanity. You would need hundreds or thousands, not dozens.

I think the show is intentionally going for a fantastical/surreal setting. It's not trying to be realistic. If it were, necromancers would be predator drones launching ASM missiles from high above instead of the awesome screaming insanity that we got.

IMO with only 6 embryos and two androids they have much more room for interesting story telling.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The voices were definitely channeling this thread when they told Campion to kill himself

This show is really getting off the rails now and I have no idea where it's going or what is even going. You better not loving cancel this gem, Tim Hbo :argh:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

It's pretty funny that Mother let a bunch of small kids burn to death, but saved a "kid" who is realistically an adult. It makes sense structurally because the show needed somebody who could conceivably stand up to her, but it makes no sense thematically for the character.

I'm listening to the show podcast and one major point they are talking about is the question of how we gonna teach intelligent machines morality and that if we do it through a black box machine learning approach, it will be "off" in very weird and unpredictable ways in certain situations. I think Mother is programed to only care about her own children and she doesn't appear to assign any value to mithraic human life (just like they don't assign any value to atheist lifes). So she sets out to kill everyone on the ark to protect Champion and the colony, but then she adopts 5 of the children as her own, so they are no longer allowed to die. The other children don't hold any special value to her and she has no problem with killing them. They are just random enemies. It's like tribalism, but even more extreme because Mother has full control of who she feels empathy for, unlike a human.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There is definitely some weird AI faction involved in all of this. It's the thing that mother talked to in the pod VR and that wanted to recruit her.

Maybe it's actually Sol and everyone can hear the god AI because they are all cylons androids

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Anyone ever read the book Nemesis by Asimov? This show is insanely incomprehensible, but it's giving me the same vibes as that book. For those unaware, the book is about (spoilers for the book ahead) a colony of humans living in a space habitat above a somewhat inhabitable planet which unfortunately seems to cause an illness in some sub-set of people causing them to go insane and die. Therefore, only a tiny research outpost exists on the world, which tightly filters out any contaminants from the planet outside, where scientists study the assorted soil-borne microorganisms on the planet. One of the main characters is an ugly girl who has the ability to read the intents and thoughts of people through some kind of super empathy when she looks at their faces. She exists in a constant state of loneliness because she can't help but see that other people think she's ugly, or are scared of her. She eventually goes down to the planet and it turns out that the soil-borne bacteria are actually a gigantic planet-spanning colonial intelligence, which is also very lonely and has been trying to reach out to humans but was driving them insane. It turns out it can talk with her though and they ultimately discover companionship together without judgment.

So yeah, I think that the planet is alive and that all those holes are part of a vast underground network that Mother and Father hilariously left unexplored. At first it could only work with what fell down the holes, but when the ark slammed into the ground they mention that it "cracked" the surface. That's when the creatures first started appearing and when people started seeing Tally or hearing voices. I think either the ark crashing into the world "woke it up", or it provided something that allowed it to start loving with androids and humans alike.

EDIT: I mean, when I first saw those holes I thought they were loving breathing, but then I shook that first impression off until later episodes where plot points keep centering around the holes and how air keeps moving in and out of them.

Another novel that comes to mind is The Jesus Incident by Herbert. It has

- a weird, sentient wasteland planet with a hostile flora and fauna
- mysterious freakishly deformed humans wandering around outside settlements
- people from alt-history earths, included one where the western roman empire survived into the space age
- a god AI that controls space and time and communicates with the colonists in ~mysterious ways~

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Christianity didn't exist in the original timeline so Mithraism stayed dominant in the Roman empire. Now Campion has to travel through time and die on some piece of wood for the sins of humanity so that history doesn't repeat itself and Mithraism gets overtaken by a more humanist and altruistic religion/philosophy.

You know that Scott toyed around with he idea of making Jesus an Engineer in Prometheus, so this poo poo is definitely not beneath him.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

its not quite westworld bad but its up there

Please post why the show is incomprehensible. I find that opinion incomprehensible(from the standpoint of comprehension)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

i didnt say it was incomprehensible. i said it was awful
edit: i guess i did say it was incomprehensible yesterday. i was mostly referring to the scene where mother is having sex with the mysterious simulation atheist and then wakes up and uses telekinesis to lift boulders and throw them at people

What's not to get? It's a telekinetic murder drone that someone shoddily tacked on a human consciousness to and now it's very confused about its identity and role in the world and it's exploring its humanity and sexuality by using digital genitalia and it's also being psychologically manipulated by her mithraic AI gently caress buddy. Oldest story in the book, pretty cut and dry.(I don't think this is the show for you though)

Also, reminds me of Under the Skin, which is a fantastic movie

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sheriff Falc posted:

It's a lot of the little stuff that adds up really, I'm not expecting a hard sci-fi but characters tend to act in irrational ways for plot progression or to boost the surprise factor of 'big reveal' scenes later. For example, why did Mother and Father never explore the holes or ever bother to look more than 1km outside their house? How does a child find a new source of food in a day of searching after the androids have been there for 12 years? Why does mother scream at boulders after she is trapped instead of just killing everyone around her like she's already done about 7 times so far in the series? Why does Father (and Mother at one point) completely ignore the fact they're either seeing visions or a long-dead child running around and not bother to ever check whether it is real or a hallucination? Why only send 12 embryos to repopulate a planet? Why does Paul's mother want to run off to the tropical zone with three people, presumably to die horribly? Why do the Mithraics just shrug off finding a humanoid/semi-humanoid who has clearly been on the planet for a long time and conversely, how the hell did Mother and Father never notice something dwelling what seems to be less than a few days walk from their homestead?

I'm sure there's more - it's the culmination of all the little things that just sort of add up to the show lacking verisimilitude and feeling a bit schizophrenic.

E: Oh, and why the gently caress does mother howl like a wolf when Tally dies but literally never again? It just feels like heavy-handed foreshadowing that is contrary to the character's behaviour up to that point and then for the remainder of the season.

I don't disagree with you in principle, but some of these are really nitpicking.

The fungus was hidden down a dangerous hole, so it's not surprising that they never found it before they became desperate. The fungus and the "pizza" are also not farmable and able to sustain a human settlement, so there wasn't a lot of interest in it. A lot of poo poo in nature is technically digestible for humans but we grow only a tiny selection of it for food.

Father seems pretty freaked out about having hallucinations and tried to tell Mother immediately. I'm not sure what else he could've done with that information.

Marcus and Sue said they are out for revenge and don't want the mithraics to have the planet. Some version of blowing up the ark and loving of with the kid was probably their plan from the beginning. They were on that ship to sabotage it, not integrate into mithraic society.

The mithraics only found the dwelling due to the trackers. It's probably disguised enough inside the skeleton that nobody would find it at random. Not sure what else they could've done there? And they really had much more important poo poo on their mind.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Sci-fi attracts holier than thou types all the time that think they are so much smarter and better than the writers. Instead of letting a story play out they infect the discussions on how they would do things or how things should be. It's a fantasy show. Nothing has to appease you - it just has to tell a good story. And the show is doing a drat good job of it. Maybe they'll explain it later - who knows, who really cares. I don't need someone to stop everything, stare into the camera and explain "actually the rock in the desert was from planet yuiier-33z and senses anger". You can piece things together in your head and hey, if it's not what it is - I won't be mad at the show. I'll just accept the explanation.

Like the creatures wandering around - they clearly have a spine, ears, a nose, hands like a human - could it be explorers from before? Some weird animal? A society that collapsed thousands of years ago cause of giant snakes? I dunno.

The last jedi had a masterful troll on these type of people with that bomber run scene where the anal beads bombs fall towards the target after being released instead of floating in place. People were losing their mind about how nobody cares about accuracy in "scientific entertainment" anymore and western civilization is now doomed. Extremely funny, cause that scene probably had the most accurate physics in all of Star Wars.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think it's bullshit that they only released a single episode this week. I'm done with this show if the producers can't even be bothered to release their show, this is Lost all over again

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

One thing I'm really missing in this show is more establishing and landscape shots. Everything is mostly contained to a handful of sets and it gets really claustrophobic at times. Like, you got this enormous planet and we basically only see the same 10 trees, a huge ground rear end in a top hat and a 1x1m patch of desert of it. Get a loving camera drone already

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

It's going to be the Dark PhotonsTM that went from Mother's Tears to baby Campion. Since they've never bothered to explain what component of Mother is the Dark PhotonsTM , we can assume all her bodily fluids have them and thus that's where Ultra-Rapist, and special protagonist Campion come from.

Dark photons are actually a real hypothetical particle in physics. But we don't know yet if it can make you invincible and fly around in T pose. The science isn't settled on that part

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Why would you assume this? Humans have all sorts of technology and still go out to the middle of nowhere to do weird poo poo they don't want anyone to know about. Assuming the robed figures actually are even aliens (which seems likely) we don't know a drat thing about them other than that scene and a few things we can make guesses on via world building.

We do know that the planet supposedly has a potentially much more habitable region, that all of the characters feel compelled to never try and go to for reasons unknown. I wouldn't rule it out that the so called tropical region may contain their civilization, or the ruins of it and whatever suggestion the unknown force is using on them is compelling everyone to avoid it, so they stay near the hexagon thing. The androids could have aimed for that region in the first place when they landed there but they didn't. And presumedly they have the option to go there with the pod from the Arc, or at the very least, Mother could fly there and check it out. Yet they remain in spitting distance of the monolithic structure. Also the planet is covered in mysterious holes that seem to have something more at the bottom with the heat etc.

I'm not saying that these are even actual theories on my part, just that there are all sorts we of possibilities and there might be a good reason that the weird structure is out in the middle of nowhere.
They said that there is some kind of electromagnetic disturbance above the tropical zone and they can't land the ark there. I assume the smaller landers and Ma& Pa's ship have/had the same problem. They can probably get close with the lander and walk the rest by foot, but it might still be a weeks or months long journey and potentially very dangerous (see Oregon trail, but with no oxens and weird unknown alien wildlife)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Are the religious guys praying to the sun in our system, the local star, or the overarching concept of nuclear fusion? I'd imagine that would be a bit hard to reconcile.

Might as well ask what heaven christians will be praying to on Mars

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

General Battuta posted:

This show is so bad and stupid, yet so weird and awesome. I keep it watching it for the next utter absurdity or genuinely well composed shot of android body horror. I loved Mother surrounded by all the dismembered corpses feeding her milk.

It did take me a while to free myself from the constraints of TACTICAL REALISM and stop worrying about the viable breeding population. For maybe the first five episodes, I couldn't get over the characters' total lack of concern about the survival of the human species. Mother's supposed to preserve the human race, she and Father completely gently caress it up by feeding their kids radioactive tubers, she's down to one kid, a spaceship shows up with advanced technology and DNA and all kinds of stuff she could use and she crashes it? this makes perfect sense once you realize Mother is not exactly a beep boop optimum tactics kind of android

The Mithraists are running around in a steadily dwindling group, killing each other and getting killed, apparently just ignoring the fact that there's already no way they can have or raise enough children and they're all going to die here and humanity will end forever. Nobody acknowledges this, they just make plans like "let's go to the tropics" as if that isn't just a new venue to die. It's like watching Battlestar Galactica but nobody's concerned about the population count, instead they're arguing about whether to become vegetarians. Everyone on this show is loving nuts. Crazy poo poo happens and then it's off to the next scene.

But right about the time Mother had hot virus sex and gallons of milk cum shot out of the ceiling I guess everything clicked as a weird allegory and now I'm excited to see what's up with the eraserhead alien and the ghosts and the big holes.

I think I'm watching a totally different show than you. The last episodes explicitly stated that Campion and the kids were just a practice/learning run and never intended to rebuild humanity.

Almost every single "plot hole" from the first few episode got explained in a satisfying way in the last few episodes. Why can't you just chill and enjoy the drat show instead of obsessively imagining plot holes in every scene and line of dialog? Lost really broke a lot of people

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

I didn't watch Lost but this started as a great combination of hard SF and exploration of parenthood. The first 4-5 episodes. Then it started getting mystical - Am I delusional? Or is it real? Or a computer simulation? And what if my greatest enemy is... Myself!?

From two tight and coherent groups they went to everybody just running around (Marcus and warriors; Sue and some kids; Mother; Tempest; Campion; Father and Hunter; Priests). My partner and I were extremely excited about it, for different reasons, but now we've given up. The last episode was painful to watch.

That's cool and good and a fine opinion to have. I was talking about the people who watched the first 10 minutes of Star Wars and then angrily walked out of the cinema because "nothing made sense" and it was full of "plot holes"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Should have been the series finale. Don't know where else they could go with this

e: also, lmao every single theory was wrong. Nobody itt predicted mother givjng birth to a flying baby snake and then travelling through the planet core

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 1, 2020

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ok folks, now that the first shock has worn off its time to get the brain trust together and solve this thing

- We know neanderthals evolved on earth and very likely never went into space, so there are some ancient aliens involved who brought them over

- caves paintings usually do not predicted the future so there is some time travellin' going on

- the snakes are definitely the baddies in this thing

- the weird dodecahedron with the disk jockey helmet is a birthing chamber for flying snakes and it had a dead necromancer in it who probably have birth to some snake

- sol is a snake/former snake

- pepe silvia???

What can we do with this? Anyone has a good theory? Questions that are still open:

- why did all the weird poo poo only start after the ark appeared? what triggered sol to appear?

- are white guys neanderthal descendents?

- if the snakes are mammals, do they have tits?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

In the context of the completely idiotic “they’re devolving” line I think the story is that homo sapiens either came from or arrived to Kepler 22b and then somehow “devolved” into homo neanderthalensis.

I didn't get that at all, why would you think that? The the implication is clearly that the albinos and Creatures are descendants of neanderthals. They even mention that neanderthals went extinct 40k years ago.

That's why they don't want to tell Campion. Soylent Creature is homo sapiens and currently it's their only viable food source

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think I finally solved it. Clearly the snakes' natural reproduction cycle involves sending instructions on how to use dark photons to other planets and then wait for those civilizations to send necromancers, which they then can the impregnate :shuckyes:

e: wait, are the snakes Kepler's version of a necromancer? Maybe the neanderthals had some kind of snake worshipping religion, instead of a sun worshipping one, and build their necromancers in the image of Snek the God and then those necromancers destroyed most life on the planet, just like on earth

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 1, 2020

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm really loving this weird as gently caress flying god snake poo poo. Someone else already said it, but this show really demonstrates how safe most "sci-fi" shows play it. Any kind of display of creativity and going off theerails is seen as a huge financial risk so all we get are perpetual rehashes of the the same dumb superhero show over and over again

e: hail snek

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think this show is a really good demonstration of the importance of drugs and if your kids ever get into not doing them you should force them to watch this show. Ridley Scott build an entire career and an enormous fortune from his DMT experiences from ca. 1977 and god knows what he would have done with his life otherwise. Probably make romcoms for 1 mio a piece like a total loser

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

That trip to the center of 22B must have taken hours. Maybe snek had the power to shield them from the heat?

Presumably it has at least the same powers as mother in necromancer form, so that's plausible.

I wonder if the extinction of ancient sneks and the appearance of the Creatures is related. Maybe the sneks depended on intelligent life that they could manipulate telepathically for survival and the neanderthals had an evolutionary pressure to lose intelligence due to this. I'm assuming it's very hard to get a gorilla to worship you or build freaky android birthing chambers for reproduction

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The ~companion podcast~ to this show is quite good.

The show runner seems very aware of how callous the mithraics appear. His take is that if you put the batshit insane leadership of the people who destroyed their entire planet and doomed their species on a new virgin world, they are just gonna repeat the same mistakes and be in the same situation by lunch again. Basically, mithraic society is inherently self-destructive and incapable of survival and the show tries to portrait that.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sheriff Falc posted:

I for one am enthusiastic about future space snake related narratives currently being dreamed up by ridley and co.

I mean, its brilliant. These guys just cornered the loving market on space snake related plotlines. I can't even think of another space snake who slithers half as good as this bad boy.

I'm starting to believe that Scott had nothing to do with the snake parts. Someone came to with him with the idea of making a show about huge flying space snakes, lampreys and eels and he tacked on androids, child actors, space travel and all the religious symbolism.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

OK, swinging in to find out if finishing this show up would be worth my time. I think I stopped around the fourth episode. Right when the kids had run away and Mom and Dad split up to find them. Did the show ever get going?

Yes, watch it. It managed to slither into a pretty awesome finale. The show runner is definitely not a snake oil salesman.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Someone please change the thread title to Raised by Eels/lampreys

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ah yes, the two well known weak spots of a flying machine snake: great heights and vacuum

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

redreader posted:

Then his veins were all black and he was tripping balls but also got an extra 20 levels of power?

Whatever is powering necromancers is some ultra advanced alien energy source and the necromancer milk blood contains that technology and can be used by humans (see Campion, Space Rapists, snake baby, Space Ragnar, etc.) My guess would be it's nanomachines using that alien energy source. Apparently, the lander is capable of detecting that energy source from a distance(similar to how you can use a geiger counter to detect radioactive materials from a distance) so that's where that power level stuff comes from.

Also, Mother seems to have some kind of grey goo nano replicator in her womb and that's how she was able to synthesize nutrients for the fetuses and make space snek cells from scratch with just a blueprint. Her nano technology is directly compatible with living tissue.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, Prometheus was a good movie and I hope it gets fully rehabilitated at some point. Most of the complaints about it were people seeing imaginary plot holes or wanted it to be something that it was not trying to be or spend half of the movie browsing on the phone and then complained how nothing made sense

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Some season 2 plot detailed got released

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/raised-wolves-showrunner-teases-season-2-details-1684116

Sol doesn't seem to able to communicate with just anyone. Maybe it's proximity based? Also, earth and humans there are still alive and so are the necromancers

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

LibCrusher posted:

I vaguely recall someone doing napkin math and showing that the 13years spent aboard the ark is roughly equivalent to the amount of time the passengers would experience going .99C to Kepler.

That's a cool easter egg. If season two takes place in earth around the same time as s1 it means over 600 years will have passed there. That fits nicely with the show maker saying that necromancers are "still" operational there. Maybe they oxygen concentrations have recovered and earth is fully habitable again?

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

I feel like there has to be a decent time jump, because I doubt they're going to be filming any time soon and all the kid actors will probably age out of what they're supposed to be in the show.

Stranger things made it work somehow and that show was 90% child actors by weight. Like, they can remove campion's beard in post and make everyone wear plateau shoes

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If you really think about it, campion and the space snake are actually brothers. I wonder who the real disappointment in the family is though. I mean, they are obviously gonna say space snake like all good parents but I think, deep down, they know it's campion cause who wouldn't be proud of an ancient eldritch horror robot snake that will rule an entire planet one day

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Necromancer milk is stored in the eyeballs. Everyone knows that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The podcast kinda confirms that this is not an alt-history world. The Mithraics appeared during the 21th century and then started taking over the world with their ancient aliens knowledge. I assume the "Atheists" is what remained of the coalition of the non-batshit insane countries that opposed them.

Don't know how to feel about it. Mithraism is a really weird choice for something like this and where the gently caress did they get ~Romulus' tooth~? But then again, watching the explosive spread of the Qanon cult, maybe it's not that unrealistic and just how thing work now in the social media world. Mithraism seem like a well structured and logically consistent believe system compared to Qanon

e: would have been hilarious if they had chosen qanon for the cult. People praying to Trump, wearing T tags, building trump tower temples, "Trump in heaven, guide my path", etc.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 14, 2020