Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I don't know about this whole thing and trying to read into the allegory, perhaps I'll be proven wrong but it felt to me like this whole thing was actually devoid of subtext and irony, the theists are bad and the atheists are good, everything is at face value, the mom bot appeared as brutal and irrational but so far she's been vindicated in that everything she did was proven right, even the opening monologue spells it clearly, heck the space theists are even space pedophiles like the whole 'religious organizations are actually bad and hypocritical' thing wasn't already obvious enough.

So, yeah, it's possible there's an element of subversion and the themes will have more depth, but to me it felt like 'what you see is what you get', heck even Ragnar's character isn't a proper theist, he has to be a secret atheist so that the audience will know he's a sympathetic guy just trying to make ends meet.

I've only seen 2 episodes and this isn't my interpretation at all. Not to say you're totally wrong but I think both sides are going to be 2 different sides of "bad," not a binary good vs evil. Somehow I'm guessing the atheists are going to have done just as bad if not worse poo poo in their equally fervent way.

Random question but are any of you women/mothers and/or watching with your SO that is...? My wife, with whom I have twins about Campion's age, is typically not huge into harder sci-fi like this but was open to checking it out after I suggested it, as she had liked Alien: Covenant enough.

She has been REALLY into it and we probably talk about the characters motivations and the roles they play (ex: Mother being made as the protector etc), differing philosophies of Sol vs Atheists, story themes, ethics of having children and how you raise them especially given the circumstances etc, than we have about another show for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

banned from Starbucks posted:

What was so permanently damaged about Earth they have to leave? It looked just like regular shithole dystopian city #95. Do they ever mention it? The future templars created the necrobots but just for some reason didnt bother to take any with them on their arc to defend their new planet?

In the opening credits there’s a montage of a bunch of nukes going off and I think there was a title card early on that alluded to it.

I could see the necromancers being deemed by the religious as unholy or OP or something to that effect, like how crossbows were prohibited by the Pope at one point.

Or maybe (which I think would be fitting given that this is from Ridley Scott and he’s all about examining android’s sentience and the moral implications of them for humanity and themselves among other themes), they were deemed too unreliable and dangerous to employ them, Mother being a good example.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Also feel like people should be more concerned about the giant viper skeletons, like maybe even noticing them

My question is if that's what created the huge hole by the settlement...