Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I could see how it’s divisive but imo this show owns bones. I’m loving it so far.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

priznat posted:

What kind of milk stays good after 13 years or whatever it was?!? That was my first reaction to that :haw:

Given how fast and loose this show plays with technology I just figured it was some synthetic milk with an endless shelf life.

IDG how the mother screams people into giblets either but it’s cool, so hey.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Goddamn, mother is terrifying.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

screamin and creamin posted:

My problem with the cliffhanger at the end of Ep.3 was that nothing of value was in jeopardy.

I haven’t watched the 2 new eps but I have no idea why father just forgot all about him lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, they did. It was just weird cause he could have just grabbed him with his pod that could anywhere in 5 minutes, he had him on the tracker, and then she didn't even bother to look for him either. Maybe the new eps shed more light on it, but it was a pretty goofy ending.

It just felt like they flat out forgot about him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol the rapist is like a Dark Souls NPC.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This show has made me realize that I have a thing for women with asymmetric mullets that look like they were done with hedge clippers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Idg the sci-fi original comparisons. I think for the most part the show looks great. And I'm the type of person who can't even watch those shows because they look so cheap.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If it comes down to it, Campion would be a great source of protein for the rest of the kids.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hope he just gets to be their canary for the rest of the series and never gets to take the helmet off, then just gets vaporized in the last episode.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also am I understanding correctly that these people all aged 13 years in a simulation, learning and otherwise living life, developing and growing? So they really are 25 year olds stuck in a 12 year old body? That’s really weird and uncomfortable to think about.

Yeah that's what I gathered too, which makes it seem weird that they all act their age. The little girl still acts like shes 5 but I guess she's like 19?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't agree with the Lost comparisons. There is a degree of mystery with this omnipresent force that is causing hallucinations etc, and whatever it is, is behind everything. To me at least, the show doesn't feel like a puzzle box, just that something is loving with them and we don't know exactly what yet. I don't feel like they are digging themselves into a hole like lost did or anything. The mystery is only a small part of the show. It's not like, the ultimate goal or anything.

I do worry a bit that it will all end up being a simulation, which would be terrible. "it's actually god' would be a more satisfying answer tbh. And the show it weird enough I wouldn't put it past them.

But agreed, the simulation theory would be the worst thing they could do unless they did something amazing with it. But I'm not convinced that is what it is, so I'll just wait and find out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LentThem posted:

I'm a little annoyed at the complete lack of curiosity by all of the characters and it's really making it feel like the writers are doing it on purpose so that New Events can happen whenever they want.

Stuff like "let's build a homestead in the desert and never venture more than 500 yards away for the next 12 years, and exclusively use the first food source we find" can at least be partially written off as Android Bullshit so that writers can introduce a new area with new stuff the first time the kids run away (with more Android Bullshit of continuing to live in the desert even though the woods look pretty nice)

But then the cultists find a parkouring hermit that can make physics-based boobytraps, a topographical map of the terrain AND THE loving STARS and has a set of tarot cards, and they give a poo poo for all of 20 seconds "gee maybe some humans got here earlier- anyway lets go capture the homestead and build a church and never speak of this or the possibility of other intelligent life again"

It's like that really lazy writing technique where you narrate the story extremely narrowly so that you can have some surprise conclusion later

I like that the entire planet is covered in bottomless pits and godzilla sized snake skeletons and everyone is like "nbd they are probably extinct"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Honestly if you are the type of person to nit pick how things "really should be" this is probably not the show for you though. It's weird, but I think it's (mostly) consistent and I find the story super entertaining. I watch it with the mindset that I'd watch an 80's kids fantasy movie like The Neverending story or Labyrinth and it feels perfect.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't get why people keep calling it "incomprehensible". The story is pretty straight forward and easy to follow. I also don't think it falls apart unless someone actually still thinks they are watching hard sci-fi after 7 episodes of wild fantasy stuff. In which case , lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's like people are watching Zardoz and trying to criticize it like Apollo 13.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zmej posted:

maybe it's nit picky, but I still can't get over no one had a plan to scan the forbidden spicy potatoes but had the foresight to reprogram a genocidal android lol

They didn’t have the ability to analyze the potatoes until they had the escape pod from the Arc, because the original escape pod fell into a hole in the first episode.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a dumb name for something that just annihilates people, but it was created and presumably named by the Mythriac. Maybe there was some old tyme relijun logic about the soulless atheists dying, so the Mythriac could be reborn yadda yadda. Who knows. I could see some irl chuds calling a drone "necromancer" while they bomb brown people with it cause it sounds badass.

But really the reason is someone thought it sounded badass.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wonder if the actress that plays Mother is some sort of dancer irl because she can do some wild body acting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The rapist went into this show a Dark Souls character and left a Bloodborne character.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every episode of this show is more bonkers than the last in the best possible way.

I think this is my favorite show airing right now and that’s saying a lot considering how good The Boys season 2 is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The whole blood supblot with Mother and Carl was low key one of my favorite moments of the show. Everything about it was great. Loved Carl.

Hakkesshu posted:

The term hard sci fi keeps getting thrown around when it is clearly sci-fantasy because any tech they show is virtually indistinguishable from magic.

Tbh I get a lot of original Star Wars vibes off the show sometimes. But yeah, I think one of the reasons the unexplained stuff in this show doesn't bug me at all is because to me it's all just magic. I haven't thought twice about a bunch of the things that have been driving people nuts about it.

Lister posted:

the heel turn on Caleb was pretty loving sudden and drastic after he'd been so rational up to that point.

Tbh one of the few things I don't like about the show is just how fast. He goes from relatable to torn in a reasonable amount of time, but his switch to power hungry madman seemed like it came out of nowhere. I felt like I went from liking him to wanting to see him get annihilated over the course of one episode.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 25, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Ah yes. Aliens who wear robes and live out in the wild have sub atomic particle tech. This is one of the things that bug me when Hollywood shows advanced aliens in primitive garb with no signs of high civilization. Look at all that was necessary for humans to build the large hadron collider which is still primitive in comparison.

Why would you assume this? Humans have all sorts of technology and still go out to the middle of nowhere to do weird poo poo they don't want anyone to know about. Assuming the robed figures actually are even aliens (which seems likely) we don't know a drat thing about them other than that scene and a few things we can make guesses on via world building.

We do know that the planet supposedly has a potentially much more habitable region, that all of the characters feel compelled to never try and go to for reasons unknown. I wouldn't rule it out that the so called tropical region may contain their civilization, or the ruins of it and whatever suggestion the unknown force is using on them is compelling everyone to avoid it, so they stay near the hexagon thing. The androids could have aimed for that region in the first place when they landed there but they didn't. And presumedly they have the option to go there with the pod from the Arc, or at the very least, Mother could fly there and check it out. Yet they remain in spitting distance of the monolithic structure. Also the planet is covered in mysterious holes that seem to have something more at the bottom with the heat etc.

I'm not saying that these are even actual theories on my part, just that there are all sorts of possibilities and there might be a good reason that the weird structure is out in the middle of nowhere.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everything being a simulation or a mega cliff hanger finale would be just about the only things that would get me to turn on the show at this point. Even then I'd probably forgive it if it was done well, but the simulation option would be a hard sell. I don't think it's that's the case though. It would be such a copout and there are already much more interesting theories for what is going on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OH WORD SON posted:

Isn't this the worst show you ever seen why on Earth you still watching it

I'm pretty sure he secretly loves it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The finale was batshit and batshit is why I like this show so I am a-ok with it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So was the guy in the cube a human or android? The head did not seem like a normal mummified head and he was drooling android jizz so I am assuming the former.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked the finale a lot, but my only gripe is that the snake isn't even the same type of snake as the skeletons, so that throws everything I could have speculated about between seasons in the toilet and just makes it feel completely random.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know if it's relevant or just a coincidence, but the traps that jack made looked exactly like the snakes mouth.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think that was pretty much all but confirmed in the finale. At least the part about not going to the tropical zone being a direct result of persuasion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do people also go nuts watching Star Wars?

"The Force. How does that even work? You can't just lift things with your mind! Oh wait they explained it? Midocli-what? Wait no. I take it all back. Don't explain it it!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. I still think the snake should have resembled an infant version of the ancient snakes and then my brain would have went "woah! The snakes are reborn! The snakes are important! This is interesting and gives me a lot to speculate on" and instead it was like "The snake is important! No, not those ones. this new one we made! See you next season"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

disturbingly bad post

There’s one thing we can agree on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

Whatever is powering necromancers is some ultra advanced alien energy source and the necromancer milk blood contains that technology and can be used by humans (see Campion, Space Rapists, snake baby, Space Ragnar, etc.) My guess would be it's nanomachines using that alien energy source. Apparently, the lander is capable of detecting that energy source from a distance(similar to how you can use a geiger counter to detect radioactive materials from a distance) so that's where that power level stuff comes from.

Also, Mother seems to have some kind of grey goo nano replicator in her womb and that's how she was able to synthesize nutrients for the fetuses and make space snek cells from scratch with just a blueprint. Her nano technology is directly compatible with living tissue.

This is a good post but I am going to humbly request that you guys stop saying "snek"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I need to watch it again. I liked it allright but I think I went in the first time with too much expectations about it being an Alien prequel.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cingulate posted:

snek

Probably not unintentional it basically looks like a cross/is a form of cross.

You may have noticed that the show leans hard into "Atheism is a religion too" themes, so it's not surprising.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Campion died on the way back to his home planet

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

etalian posted:

Ridley Scott to make a dark souls tv series next....

I would be extremely into this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Counterpoint, it's a show you are still thinking about weeks later. I've watched like 2 more series since RBW and already forgotten almost everything about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think there is any way this show will ever have the mainstream appeal of Game of Thrones, even if I wish it did. It's in season 1 and its already too weird for a lot of people and tends to set the "I want answers!" people into rage mode lol.

Although afaik it is fairly popular and is at the very least getting season 2 and hopefully beyond.