Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Ethiser posted:

It’s a 100% going to end with just the children left and them worshiping the androids as gods.
Yeah, we already had Father tell Campion: please feel free to question me, but you must accept every answer I give you and have faith that I've got your best interests in mind, always. It's pretty blunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

sticksy posted:

In the opening credits there’s a montage of a bunch of nukes going off and I think there was a title card early on that alluded to it.

I could see the necromancers being deemed by the religious as unholy or OP or something to that effect, like how crossbows were prohibited by the Pope at one point.

Or maybe (which I think would be fitting given that this is from Ridley Scott and he’s all about examining android’s sentience and the moral implications of them for humanity and themselves among other themes), they were deemed too unreliable and dangerous to employ them, Mother being a good example.
I actually wonder if Ridley took up this project specifically to further explore that theme, seeing as how he really wanted to do a third Prometheus movie with David going nuts on a new world with his pet colonists, and that's apparently not going to happen.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Remind me, which faction built/controlled the necromancers
Sol. The atheists captured Mother and Father and reprogrammed them, like John Connor and the T-800.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

zoux posted:

I guess the Mithriacs are supposed to be a stand in to avoid controversy, but I'm gonna venture a guess that Christianity is still a going concern in 200 years. Also I don't know if they're supposed to be connected to the ancient Roman religion or why they became sun worshippers in an extremely technologically advanced society.
Their history probably isn't our history, exactly.

Post-apocalyptic "Boston" aside, I imagine that the weird sun-worshippy Christianity-like mashup that is Mithraiciam took off at some point pre-Dark Ages, instead of Christianity as we know it.

The whole show is kind of a trippy fantasy, so I'm just going with it.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Lister posted:

It's mentioned that "you reap what you sow" is in their bible and that is a phrase from the new testament.
Yeah, it's a bit odd. Coming from a Christian background (but not being Christian myself), it's hard to imagine contemporary Christianity of any form morphing into whatever it is that they're doing in 200 years time.

I suppose stranger things have happened, but it makes a lot more sense to me to just think of the show's world as having been on some sort of alt-history path for quite some time. It's juuuust close enough to a bit eerie, and there's no doubt a lot of Christian influence in the show's Mithraicism.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Likewise. Life is full of surprises.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

cant cook creole bream posted:

By the way: I love the song in the intro. The melody is so weird and the pronunciation and rhythm of the words sounds otherworldly.

Edit: someone will probably just tell me that this is the common accent in some part of the world, I am ignorant of.
It's performed in Swedish, and I can't say for sure, but I imagine that the neat pronunciation and the rhythm of the words is part of the vocalist's art.

I'm reminded of Icelandic, and the fact that the folks in Reykjavik generally don't sound like Bjork.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I keep hearing about the expanse. Is it good should I watch it
It could very reasonably be considered the best science fiction show of the past decade.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah that's what I gathered too, which makes it seem weird that they all act their age. The little girl still acts like shes 5 but I guess she's like 19?
The children experienced time in stasis, but their brains didn't develop physiologically during that time.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

So they make necros with vaginas from the factory or is that an option?
Mother fantasized about having a vagina, and the ghost in the machine obliged.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Zmej posted:

I'm having a hard time really rooting for anyone who's a main character. I don't like Mother because we all know why, Campion is little poo poo (idk bad child acting and nothing interesting), and the new Emissary guy is now just deranged like Mother.

I really enjoyed Father. Great actor and who doesn't enjoy watching an android try to craft awful dad jokes. Unfortunately he's not really a focal point for the show

Edit: maybe I'm kinda annoyed or bored that all the main characters are being nudged and driven by a mysterious voice who is going to be revealed at the end and I'm having Lost flashbacks lol. It kinda robs some agency and I guess I check out because of that
Father is great. Could really go for a bottle episode of Father running around doing whatever it is that he does.

Agree that the other characters aren't really sympathetic, although Ragnar and Mother are both really interesting to watch.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

priznat posted:

I love this show and don’t get the complaints about the kids. Have you been around kids? They are pretty goddamn annoying most of the time, especially boys of campion’s age.

Source: I have a boy campion’s age. I’m just thankful campion isn’t rambling along about fortnite or whatever his friends are into.

Him being a pissy bitch about getting logic puzzle owned was so on brand for boys who think they are smart was great. That was totally me, along with 95%+ of guys.

The effects for mother getting awakened with the dirt rising and all that was cool as hell.

But really thinking about it, what kind of horrifying existence would it be if Marcus, Sue and Paul flew off in the lander to the tropics. Just the 3 of them, with eventually Paul being alone after they kick off. Yikes.
I was thinking exactly the same thing re: the idea of the three of them going it alone in the tropics. As a father myself I had a giant WTF reaction to the notion of setting one's son up to die unloved and alone.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

LibCrusher posted:

If the two stowaway yahoo atheists knew about the ark, then so did Camp sr.

This show is annoying me with so many unanswered questions, and the fact that the survivors are definitely NOT acting like they are the last human beings alive. Why do they treat human life so flippantly?

Also isnt mother’s Android goo all gonna leak out while she wanders the wilderness? Isn’t that bad for them? Are all androids built with a ton of extra goo just in case?

Also what was with that other person that keeps showing up with the whispering voices? Is it really Tally? Some weird alien or something that doesn’t quite know how to interact with people?

I’ll still keep watching but my patience is wearing kinda thin.
This probably isn't the show for you.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Look, man, this show featuring faster-than-light travel just isn't realistic enough! Moreover, the androids don't act like people on a hypothetical alien world definitely would, and the children and religious zealots behave irrationally!

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Psure Christian heaven hasn’t been the sky in a while now. Ever since people made flying contraptions.
Depends on the Christian.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

General Battuta posted:

Also I hope Ridley gets to do his last David movie before he dies.
Same.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Cingulate posted:

Stray thought, I hope they're paying William Gibson royalties for calling an all-powerful artificial life form with a weird religious status Nexxxmancer.
If she starts raising the dead (Neuromancer spoiler) then yeah. Up to this point the term "Necromancer" doesn't really seem to have much to do with who the character is or what she does. Someone offered earlier that AIs like her might have more appropriately been called Banshees, and that sounds right to me.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Capntastic posted:

Remember how in the first episode Campion was stillborn?
Alright, that's fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Chalks posted:

I dunno, I'm not sure if anyone is looking forward to some big answer that will explain everything and make the last season make sense.

The show is insane, but I'm kinda looking forward to seeing where they're taking it.
Yeah, definitive answers are not forthcoming, nor should they be expected. This isn't a mystery box, it's a bizarre fever dream.