Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

priznat posted:

What kind of milk stays good after 13 years or whatever it was?!? That was my first reaction to that :haw:

The dude walks over to the Travis Fimmel and says "Want some milk, it's fresh" but unless that container is excreting the milk itself, it ain't fresh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Goddamn, if it's sci-fi and weird there is no way in hell I'm not watching it. I'm totally onboard after ep 3

Golden skinned T-posed banshee androids flying around and exploding people with sound is very Hyperion/Ilium Dan Simmons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remind me, which faction built/controlled the necromancers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess the Mithriacs are supposed to be a stand in to avoid controversy, but I'm gonna venture a guess that Christianity is still a going concern in 200 years. Also I don't know if they're supposed to be connected to the ancient Roman religion or why they became sun worshippers in an extremely technologically advanced society.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I'm just being picky. Gotta say, I don't love Travis Fimmel in this, I don't know what accent he's going for and his line reads seem off. I think he's an intense actor who does good when he gets to do a lot of physical acting, but I don't think he's a good actor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gently caress the sun I fuckin hate the sun. Long live the fuckin beast.

Victis posted:

What you don't think 'permanently having to take a painful cry-poo poo' intensity is good acting

It's ok when you're a laconic Viking king with blue eyes of that intensity.

But in this, for example, his read of "You bet!" when his kid asked if he'd have made a good soldier...yeesh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How did Campion get a kiwi accent :thunk:

E: they dropped 2 this week? Is that gonna be how it is every Thursday

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Lol the rapist is like a Dark Souls NPC.

The entire Church of Sol is a dark souls npc

This is a weird show lads, I'm not sure what to think

Also feel like people should be more concerned about the giant viper skeletons, like maybe even noticing them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chekhov's giant viper skeleton

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This show is some Gene Wolfe poo poo, it feels like everything is supposed to be allegorical but I have no idea of what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also the image above the altar for the baptism ceremony is a replica of universal actual Roman Cult of Mithras iconography, the man in a phrygian cap sacrificing a bull (while a scorpion stings the bull in the ball bag but it's too small in the show to see).

Dunno if that's important or just aesthetics. As I recall but won’t look up, Mithraism was at its peak in the late Western period as was worship of sun deities like Zeus-Amun and Sol Invictus. Constantine himself was a pretty big Sol Invictus guy until he converted, and even then it's possible he was worshipping some syncretized Christ-sun god collab. Again, dunno if that's important!

E: I lied and looked it up, sol worship was the official religion of the empire starting in the 3rd century, so I guess everyone was a big Sol Invictus guy. Maybe this is an alternate universe where Christianity ended up being secondary to Roman religions which persisted even until now, or maybe it's just aesthetics or a very loose historical scaffolding like the War of the Roses was for asoiaf

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 20, 2020