Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Yeah. I tried it about 20 times or so and gave up. From what you're saying I guess there's probably some part of something that I'm missing that would make things easier.
There's actually two things I'm thinking of. The first is something I've HEARD you can do, but never tried myself, so let me know if I'm wrong: it's supposedly easier to do the minigame when Robi is more out of battery, so try doing it the moment they come to their suite to charge (I think it's the morning of Echoday.)

The second thing, what I did, is basically cheating but you might as well do if nothing else works: exploiting the Switch's replay function to more easily figure out the sequence of lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/lacunova/status/1300445863211393026?s=21

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Flac posted:

There's actually two things I'm thinking of. The first is something I've HEARD you can do, but never tried myself, so let me know if I'm wrong: it's supposedly easier to do the minigame when Robi is more out of battery, so try doing it the moment they come to their suite to charge (I think it's the morning of Echoday.)

The second thing, what I did, is basically cheating but you might as well do if nothing else works: exploiting the Switch's replay function to more easily figure out the sequence of lights.

this one is probably true, i thought that part was very easy and did it right when he entered the room and his batteries were empty without even realizing it affected anything. i thought for sure yall were talking about the temple guy's tests because those were a million times harder and i don't think i could have done the first two tests without cheating using screenshots/video.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

So far I really like the game and have done a pretty decent chunk of it so far but where exactly can I go to get more music disks? So far I've only got the ones you get handed in the town.

Edit: the minute I posted this I knew that it was going to be at the one place I didn't go to yet from your house and I was going to feel real dumb for asking this.

my buddy Superfly fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 2, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What am I supposed to do to complete the ghost's incomplete memories in the mansion? They say to look closely at the painting, but I cant see anything to interact with.

Also I learned Baker's secret :stare:.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What am I supposed to do to complete the ghost's incomplete memories in the mansion? They say to look closely at the painting, but I cant see anything to interact with.

Also I learned Baker's secret :stare:.

When you get close to the painting a hole opens up near the head. When you try to walk away it sucks you into it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think I'm too smooth brained for the story of this game. I was getting really frustrated at level 28 not sure what to do and stumbled upon the ending and I'm not sure if it was that frustration, be being tired or what but I don't really get the message or anything. Please give me a hand. Story spoilers and Ending spoilers below

So game starts and a kid is addicted to moon. He gets told to go to bed, and turns it off but it clicks back on sucking him into the tv.

It shows that the game world is a real place, and gives you the insane existential horror that when you hit New Game it kills a child and you take over them to make them the hero. PLAYER (all caps) is Gramby's son who is going around recreating game events and you have to see what you've caused this once innocent kid to do. player (no caps) is the kid being forced to watch his effect on this world and try to undo it as much as he can.

In the end after many unrelated quirky adventures you wind up on the moon and the Queen and Dragon and the two paths. The Queen being players mother and the Dragon being PLAYERs goal. This is where I get confused because PLAYER self terminates and the two of you die. It then cuts to the real world and asks if you want to continue, I said no and went outside and it was treated triumphantly but like... the message that gets muddled for me is did the kid actually get sucked into the tv or was he just dreaming the whole thing. If that's the case was there any real lesson to be had from him making up all these backstories for people?

Credits showed that all the characters from the game were out and about but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to take that as 'the characters were actually real and the door in game opening let them out.' or if it was 'the kids pov and the characters in the dream are how he perceived people in the real world. Men in suits getting off the bullet trains, fish salesmen etc.'

I liked the characters in the game world but the distinction makes me a bit befuddled- and I'm curious if the bad ending would help at all but I really don't want to sit through the 15 minute rocket ride again.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think I'm too smooth brained for the story of this game. I was getting really frustrated at level 28 not sure what to do and stumbled upon the ending and I'm not sure if it was that frustration, be being tired or what but I don't really get the message or anything. Please give me a hand. Story spoilers and Ending spoilers below

So game starts and a kid is addicted to moon. He gets told to go to bed, and turns it off but it clicks back on sucking him into the tv.

It shows that the game world is a real place, and gives you the insane existential horror that when you hit New Game it kills a child and you take over them to make them the hero. PLAYER (all caps) is Gramby's son who is going around recreating game events and you have to see what you've caused this once innocent kid to do. player (no caps) is the kid being forced to watch his effect on this world and try to undo it as much as he can.

In the end after many unrelated quirky adventures you wind up on the moon and the Queen and Dragon and the two paths. The Queen being players mother and the Dragon being PLAYERs goal. This is where I get confused because PLAYER self terminates and the two of you die. It then cuts to the real world and asks if you want to continue, I said no and went outside and it was treated triumphantly but like... the message that gets muddled for me is did the kid actually get sucked into the tv or was he just dreaming the whole thing. If that's the case was there any real lesson to be had from him making up all these backstories for people?

Credits showed that all the characters from the game were out and about but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to take that as 'the characters were actually real and the door in game opening let them out.' or if it was 'the kids pov and the characters in the dream are how he perceived people in the real world. Men in suits getting off the bullet trains, fish salesmen etc.'

I liked the characters in the game world but the distinction makes me a bit befuddled- and I'm curious if the bad ending would help at all but I really don't want to sit through the 15 minute rocket ride again.

The bad "continue" ending is hardly anything- the kid goes into the TV, the word "end," appears, and that's it. No credits, nada, just stuck on the picture of the static TV because you've refused to engage with anything but the game.

My reading of the ending is that the question of "is Moon real" is sort of a trap- Florence brings up how things drift between worlds and nothing ever really exists or ends in your discussions with him. If you did the bird night-college events similar ideas show up there too- humans have forgotten how to engage with what's right in front of them, and their constant goal-driven pursuits have made it difficult for them to find real love. The Queen/Dragon is just another aspect of this, which is why whenever you talk to her or her little blue minion they're always talking about your level or how many animals you saved, and why when you get to the moon they seem convinced that your high "love level" will allow you to defeat the hero and save the day. It's only at the very end that they realize they were just as ignorant as the hero, which is what the queen is getting at when they say that "seeking you out sealed our fate" and the only way to move forward is with love "that even a number cannot express."

tldr: The game was never about getting to the end, it was about what you did along the way. Opening the door rather than continuing rejects the entire structure of completing the game and shows that the kid realized that lesson.

It's tempting to read Moon as similar to Undertale because both games have a similar setup and clear philosophy of "killing is bad", but Moon doesn't regard its narrative or characters as having weight in the same way Undertale does. If anything it's the opposite- Moon knows it's a game, and doesn't want you getting too involved as a result.

Also for anyone near completing the game, make sure you do the night college events, because they explain a whole lot of the game's ideas.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 2, 2020

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

I mostly agree with Psycho, it's more than my interpretation is different here and there. I basically see Real Moon as a dream of the kid, with his own interpretation of the world of Fake Moon. I think the thoughts the boy might have about the game he was playing, i.e. why does an RPG hero get to do stuff like this, is filtered through this dream, along with possible reflections of himself and his life through the more detailed lives of Real Moon's characters (for example I think you can interpret the castle guard being estranged from his son who he wants to do something good for as possibly relating to the boy's relationship with his own father, but that is speculation on my part). It being a dream does not necessarily mean none of it mattered; the game deals with a theme of imagining a better and kinder world, and I think that the boy imagines this kind of world in the first place says something, both about him and about how we interact with games as a whole.

That last part specifically is also part of why the game ends with essentially saying Fake and Real Moon are too similar, with what Psycho is talking about. Moon definitely doesn't want you to get too involved with itself in a certain sense, but it's also a broader question than just Moon I think. This is a game made by Squaresoft employees who genuinely love and appreciate RPGs (Nishi has said Dragon Quest 3 is his favorite game), but they also made this game as an attempt to reimagine the RPG form to move away from the quantitative, combat strategizing gameplay of the genre, as well as their hero's journey type narrative, to emphasize the worlds and character interactions that those games hinted at. But Moon itself deals with having a quantity of something to "win the game" as well, with Love Levels, which in some sense would muddy the message to say "now you are a hero too, for collecting all this love to become strong enough to fix everything". Like Psycho said, I think they wanted to put the focus not on what happens, but what you've come to understand about everyone's stories /from/ getting their love, it's more about what is implied through them all than what is obvious.

This is my second time seeing the ending of the game and I actually appreciate it more, especially with it in mind as I replayed. It is still really poignant to me with all the history attached to this game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

what do I need to do to get noge back together with his dad? the hint guy won't point me at anything else. i've shown him a gamestation.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

lets hang out posted:

what do I need to do to get noge back together with his dad? the hint guy won't point me at anything else. i've shown him a gamestation.

Yeah that one is kinda weird and not very intuitive, like a few lategame things. See what he does on the weekend (Echoday and Solarday). Then, if something happens and a certain person gets mentioned, follow that person the next day.

e: Also you need Bilby's and possssibly Minister's love first, not totally sure about the latter though.

Flac fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 3, 2020

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Flac posted:

You can't miss anything major in this game! The weeks can go by and you'll still be able to get love from all the characters. It's only over when you've met the requirements to end the game and you wish to do so.

oh thank god, I was worried that this was some Suikoden stuff where if you ruin one encounter you've ruined the game

I just finished farming the desert night fish for like 10k and buying all of the music and items i could find

In terms of travel the piranha plant warp is fine but is there a faster way around? do we eventually get some kind of fast travel

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

oh i just read the manual, octolips do that

having also read the manual i realized the days are themselves localized puns from the jp names of the days of the week
solarday = nichiyoubi 日曜日 (lit. sun day) = sunday
crescentday = getsuyoubi 月曜日 (lit. moon day) = monday
blazeday = kayoubi 火曜日 (lit. fire day) = tuesday
tearsday = suiyoubi水曜日 (lit. water day) = wednesday
leavesday = mokuyoubi 木曜日 (lit. tree day) = thursday
coinsday = kinyoubi 金曜日 (lit. money/gold day) = friday
echosday = doyoubi 土曜日 (lit. dirt/earth day) = saturday

the echosday thing is probably also a pun with the onomatopoeia for rumbling/quaking (ドドド) so maybe quakesday or shakesday or something would be closer

still, pretty great localization here

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 3, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Stumbled onto an easy way to get the regular and premium Hager badge; Go to the house South of yours, through the Tropical Forest and Cave, and look in the fridge to find Mama's deep shame of owning a Hager Badge and wanting it gone. Then go show it to the King during his afternoon audience period in the throne room.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Share Bear posted:

the echosday thing is probably also a pun with the onomatopoeia for rumbling/quaking (ドドド) so maybe quakesday or shakesday or something would be closer

still, pretty great localization here

I did know about the reference to Japanese days of the week but Echoday always confused me, I had no idea that's what it's referring to! Thanks for clarifying!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I’m only 30 minutes into this game and I’m completely in love with this hook line and sinker, holy poo poo this game completely won me over, I loving love this. This rocks. Just incredible music and presentation and style.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I went for a trip in the birdcage, I should not have done so

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

I went for a trip in the birdcage, I should not have done so

same, telling you when it's too late too, haha

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I went to bed and saw something I'm not sure I should have :gonk:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

You've all probably already discussed it in the spoilers I'm not reading, but just found out the truth about Baker and wtf. Just... wtf?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't suppose there's an easier way to get fishing bait than standing and talking to Curio repeatedly to buy it piece-by-piece?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't suppose there's an easier way to get fishing bait than standing and talking to Curio repeatedly to buy it piece-by-piece?

the fisherman leaves to go collect some on certain days, you can follow him to the spot and grab them before he does. you can tell it's the right day when you hear a piercing chirping noise about every 2 seconds in the jungle south of your house, that's the sound of the bait appearing.

e: this isn't necessarily faster, it's just free

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

after getting tired of trucking back to town i blew 500 currency on filling up my inventory and stock with them, which is more than enough

go to the desert before dusk and the closest rock formation cactus will take you to a very high value fishing hole

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Fisherman's schedule:
Solarday - fishing contest
Crescenday, Tearsday, Coinsday - collect bait
Other days - fishing

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

I think one thing you can do for the fishing contest is sleep at your house on the morning of Echosday, get the sautee, then go to the contest before it's too late on Solarday. It seems the RNG is set in stone once morning of Solarday comes, so this is a way to savescum if you wanna go this route. Alternatively, maybe you can get the sautee FIRST on Echosday morning and then go to sleep before night comes?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I made a big-money gamble on the bird guy out of frustration (I was gonna savescum and just said gently caress it) and actually rolled a black bird on a 300 yenom bet :stonklol:.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So I found the Minister in his bedroom, then I'd read a guide that mentioned he's looking for a book, and I'd grabbed it early, but now...The Minister is like, nowhere to be found?

Is this normal or did I push him into a different plot flag?

Also, I could use a hint, how do I get to the next section of the map after the rainbow rocks? I've gotten about a Day and a half's worth of love at the moment.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Fancy Hat! posted:

So I found the Minister in his bedroom, then I'd read a guide that mentioned he's looking for a book, and I'd grabbed it early, but now...The Minister is like, nowhere to be found?

Also, I could use a hint, how do I get to the next section of the map after the rainbow rocks? I've gotten about a Day and a half's worth of love at the moment.

For the minister the latter may be true, check as far back into the castle as you can. For getting past Rainbow Rocks, check for another one of those Shyrocks in the area. Other than the one that moves aside when you first enter the area, and the one to the east that doesn't embarrass easily and won't move, there should be one more you can find.

If you already know about that Shyrock and did the thing in that part of the map correctly, then that eastern Shyrock saw something truly embarrassing and moved aside.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fancy Hat! posted:

Did you find a big weird machine in the rainbow rock area?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Did you find a big weird machine in the rainbow rock area?

I did! I think I know what I need to do with it, now.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I got sick of the fishing event so I looked this up in jp google

https://kamigame.jp/moon/%E6%94%BB%E7%95%A5%E3%82%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%83%89/%E9%87%A3%E3%82%8A.html
https://kamigame.jp/moon/%E3%82%A4%E3%83%99%E3%83%B3%E3%83%88/%E9%87%A3%E3%82%8A%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%86%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88.html

the food benefit only lasts for the day it is eaten, so you have to eat it before the event for a positive effect, otherwise you got lucky

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Where the gently caress is the black myshroom?

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Where the gently caress is the black myshroom?

Check one of the mushrooms with multiple bridges connecting to it, it might be a yellow one. Most of the other myshrooms can be found at dead ends but I think this one is the exception?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Found the drat thing; Small red mushroom in the upper-right area, the one with all the connecting paths. It's on the lower-right area of it, where it'll completely infuriate you for walking right past it a dozen times.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

(game's character artist)
https://twitter.com/kurashimakaz/status/1289566436713574400
:eyepop: so expensive though

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

The caps are also completely sold out last I heard!! Remember seeing that even Kimura couldn't secure one :(

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I figured out that I should eat mushrooms in the Mushroom Forest and the order to eat them in to catch Tottoteruri from nothing but obscure in-game clues. I was so certain I had figured it out, and then nothing happened when I tried. I was so frustrated that I just looked it up, and I had everything right, but I just needed to do it at night. There was no clue saying it only worked at night. It was already a tough puzzle to solve (well, maybe not, but it was a bit difficult to realize there was a puzzle to solve at all); they didn't need this last bit of complication to get it to work with no clue to let the player know what went wrong.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Inferior Third Season posted:

I figured out that I should eat mushrooms in the Mushroom Forest and the order to eat them in to catch Tottoteruri from nothing but obscure in-game clues. I was so certain I had figured it out, and then nothing happened when I tried. I was so frustrated that I just looked it up, and I had everything right, but I just needed to do it at night. There was no clue saying it only worked at night. It was already a tough puzzle to solve (well, maybe not, but it was a bit difficult to realize there was a puzzle to solve at all); they didn't need this last bit of complication to get it to work with no clue to let the player know what went wrong.

One of the little guys you need to translate for includes the word night in his spiel, think it's the same one that says ritual. it's not much but it's all pretty obscure anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So how do you get out to that island on the world map?

I assume it's that bird's home island and the one the tourism poster mentions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So how do you get out to that island on the world map?

I assume it's that bird's home island and the one the tourism poster mentions?

Follow the bird at night but make sure you have lots, I mean lots, of time left before you go travelling