Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

That seems like an absolutely ideal thing to own. I guess I have two questions.

Can you throw a non-bike-specific winter/waterproof jacket over it and it's still functional as abrasion/impact protection?

You can do this with any bike gear if you size up the raincoat enough; I buy my raincoats in 2XL so I can put them over any armour jacket, and so there's room for air movement to stop them getting swampy underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

You can do this with any bike gear if you size up the raincoat enough; I buy my raincoats in 2XL so I can put them over any armour jacket, and so there's room for air movement to stop them getting swampy underneath.

Yeah, a set of cheap unlined waterproofs from any outdoor/sports shop, sufficiently sized up, should be an essential part of your kit if you live anywhere other than the Atacama. Most of them pack down small enough that you can just throw them in your bag or even under your seat until they're needed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gadgets:

I’m having a hellish time with my Cardo Packtalk Bold unit all of a sudden. I hold the Play and Phone buttons to turn it off like I’m supposed to but all it does is beep at me. This goes on for like five minutes after I finish riding where I’m standing in my driveway mashing the side of my helmet like an idiot until I get frustrated and just mash the two buttons at random intervals in frustration and eventually I get the “boop-boop-boop GOODBYE” audio and it shuts off.

Just started happening out of the blue one day. Never been worn in rain, never abused, never dropped. There’s a pending firmware update that I’d been too lazy to do but I guess I’ll have to get off my rear end and do it, even though the problem didn’t really coincide with any existing updates.

Anyone else notice something like this?

e: Uh, forget what I said, after the 5.7 firmware update it shuts off first time every time. Maybe I did do an update to 5.6 at some point and forgot. Anyway, keep your stuff up to date is the moral here I guess.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 30, 2020

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SEKCobra posted:

Haha I'm not tall, I'm wide.

As a wide person, revit fits wide dudes pretty well, the straps on mine adjust very far out and the stretch panels are in the right spots. They have short sizes for pants as well

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Recommending J & S accessories for a brick and mortar chain if you're in the UK, also they usually give a good % off if you mention you just passed your test (good for when I passed my full test years ago and decided to up my gear game).

Also seconding the raincoat chat, just double check them for silly vents first, one I was looking at in Decathlon had downward ones at the front which would of sucked balls on a bike, next price point up has ones at the back though that are tucked in and so far it's kept me dry, even on a 500 mi in one day trip where it rained almost the entire day.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Couple first thoughts on the RF1200, coming from an RF1100:
  • Ow, my freakin ears! Didn't expect the removable speaker things, so they hurt like a mother on first try.
  • Ears still hurt after removing those, so already not looking great. Especially taking the helmet off.
  • Very right across my forehead, so I don't think this is going well. Left a pattern on my skin after about 20 minutes lol.
  • This must be fresh from the factory because the off-gassing is intense. Had to put it in front of a fan in my living room because it was stinking up my bedroom.
So yeah, it's gotta go back.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Chris Knight posted:

• Ow, my freakin ears! Didn't expect the removable speaker things, so they hurt like a mother on first try.
  • Ears still hurt after removing those, so already not looking great. Especially taking the helmet off.
  • Very right across my forehead, so I don't think this is going well. Left a pattern on my skin after about 20 minutes lol.
  • This must be fresh from the factory because the off-gassing is intense. Had to put it in front of a fan in my living room because it was stinking up my bedroom.

The internal shape changed drastically from the RF1100 to the 1200. Liked my 1100 a lot, the 1200 was an immediate "nope, this won't work" when I tried it on.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Keket posted:

Recommending J & S accessories for a brick and mortar chain if you're in the UK, also they usually give a good % off if you mention you just passed your test (good for when I passed my full test years ago and decided to up my gear game).

I tried on every single XL and XXL helmet J&S had in Hamilton, Glasgow. They were quite patient with me. I spent about 2h+ there gearing up for the first time right after my CBT.

Now I just get stuff online from Sportsbikeshop, or, rarely, UrbanRider (they have some D3O armour for a lot cheaper than SBS).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Keket posted:

Also seconding the raincoat chat, just double check them for silly vents first, one I was looking at in Decathlon had downward ones at the front which would of sucked balls on a bike, next price point up has ones at the back though that are tucked in and so far it's kept me dry, even on a 500 mi in one day trip where it rained almost the entire day.

My last few visits to them (not long after the Hein Gericke and Frank Thomas mergers) weren't great, I got the impression that they were really obviously on commission/sell or sack and kept pushing me towards stuff I wasn't even vaguely interested in (no, when I spend twenty minutes trying on Dainese and Alpinestars leather jackets I really am not interested in the no-brand textile jacket, no matter how much you tell me it's really popular at the moment).

Also they hosed up Frank Thomas, which used to be easily the best non-premium gear brand in the UK - now it's just another cheap brand, and the Red Route urban stuff feels flimsier than supermarket denim.

They've also stopped doing the remainder stuff they used to do, where you could flashy stuff from last year at good prices (they used to buy up excess stock from all the other retailers to do it), although that might be the manufacturers cracking down on it.

Mind you I think they've now done a management buyout, so I'll give them a day in court when I inevitably discover I lost my winter gloves at some point in March and need a new pair.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The little weather stripping thing around the base of my RPHA 70 has come loose:

What's the best way to fix this?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

The little weather stripping thing around the base of my RPHA 70 has come loose:

What's the best way to fix this?

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Plas...ps%2C226&sr=8-8

This works a treat.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Chris Knight posted:

I heard about the fitment difference on the RF1200, so I got a GT Air, which is a solid helmet and fits like the RF1100.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
Is there any consensus on how to try on helmets during covid?

I need a new helmet, mine is 4~5 years old.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

use the Amazon / Revzilla Rental Service™

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hoho`win posted:

Genuinely feel sorry for you guys that have to live in such a failed state that this is a concern at all.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hoho`win posted:

Are you a healthy adult without a pre-existing condition? If so, you can look up the infection rates and make your own judgement on the risk (almost zero).

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

All we have here is Cycle Gear but when I asked about trying on helmets they promptly showed me some helmet spray stuff they use for that purpose.

Whether it works :shrug:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Are we even concerned about transmission from surfaces anymore? I think if someone didn't just try on that helmet in the past 30 mins, you're probably fine.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Thanks, it was a bit messy but it seems to have done the trick.

right arm posted:

Seconding this, order three or four helmets and send back the ones that don't fit.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just slather your face in hand sanitizer and try the helmet on.
If you dont feel any pressure points after blacking out from fumes it fits.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Open flame sterilization is a time-proven method. Do that

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

There goes the neighborhood....

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, for real - every thing I need my phone to do while I'm on the bike (play audio, call out turns, make and answer calls) I can do without the phone never having to leave my pocket - anything more involved you should be pulling over for anyway. It's slightly less convenient I'll admit but for me at least the additional security (including the likelihood of the phone surviving a crash) and massive battery life savings of having it safely tucked inside a nice waterproof leather/kevlar cell is well worth it.

(FWIW I also do the exact same thing when driving a car, although then it's more about the sheer amount of times I've just left my phone in the holder)

I use my phone to record the telemetrics. Which from my pocket would be severely skewed. So on the bar it goes. I start it before I leave and end it when I stop. Yeah maybe I could wrap it in bubble wrap and stuff it under the seat but then starting and stopping it would be more challenging. Maybe once I get a dedicated GPS cam system mounted the phone in the pocket would be feasible...

As far as in the car it connects to the car and android auto takes control lol...

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

right arm posted:

If you are near a Cycle Gear shop near you, its basically the retail brick and mortal arm of revzilla. I have a shop local went in tried on a few and bought one and turned out to be an unmarked closeout and was over $100 off of its MSRP. I don't think I have yet to pay the price marked on anything I have gotten from them except some anti fog spray that I bought for the face-shield. They will also measure you for all your gear.

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

hoho`win posted:

Be first in line at your local shop.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

I heard about the fitment difference on the RF1200, so I got a GT Air, which is a solid helmet and fits like the RF1100.
Yep, for some reason I didn't check the old thread and there were a couple posts along the exact same lines I missed :facepalm:

GT Air 2 arrived today and the first couple minutes reminded me of exactly how the 1100 felt when I first tried it on on the shop, after coming from an Scorpion EXO400 that had pressure across my forehead much like the RF-1200.

Also found this site: http://www.lidpicker.com/free-data and what they're saying about the GT Airs is pretty much my experience, it's a slightly longer "intermediate oval" compared to the RF1200.

I have no use for the comms feature, but can deffo see using the sun shield around town during the hot days when you just need the visor open to get as much air as possible , so it looks like this one's a keeper!

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 5, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

What do you guys like for waterproof gloves at or under $200?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

FBS posted:

I’ve been running alpinestars equinox gloves for quite sometime. they have a finger wiper and in my experience, not having one on wp gloves is dumb

they’re kinda insulated which sucks in the south, but I have not been able to find non insulated wp gloves in my searches :shrug:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

I’ve been running alpinestars equinox gloves for quite sometime. they have a finger wiper and in my experience, not having one on wp gloves is dumb

they’re kinda insulated which sucks in the south, but I have not been able to find non insulated wp gloves in my searches :shrug:

Fundamentally any waterproof glove is gonna be kind sweaty because if it can keep rain out it can keep sweat in. Goretex or other breathable membranes can help, but they're still pretty heat-insulating compared to leather. For situations where it's warm enough for summer gloves but still likely to rain you're better off just wearing the summer gloves and keeping a pair of inspection gloves in your pocket - when it starts raining slip the rubber gloves on under the leather ones and it'll keep you warm and dry enough, then take them off once the gloves dry off. Make sure you've properly conditioned the leather though.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

FBS posted:

I use Alpinestars Patron Gore-Tex gloves.

https://www.alpinestars.com/products/patron-gore-tex-leather-gloves

Leather and gore-tex construction, not insulated, built in visor wipe and touch screen compatible finger tips.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 5, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Alpinestars Patron are uninsulated. I am planning to pick some up, just need to see if the local shop will order some for me because I have $180 in credits :cool:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fundamentally any waterproof glove is gonna be kind sweaty because if it can keep rain out it can keep sweat in. Goretex or other breathable membranes can help, but they're still pretty heat-insulating compared to leather. For situations where it's warm enough for summer gloves but still likely to rain you're better off just wearing the summer gloves and keeping a pair of inspection gloves in your pocket - when it starts raining slip the rubber gloves on under the leather ones and it'll keep you warm and dry enough, then take them off once the gloves dry off. Make sure you've properly conditioned the leather though.

yeah none of my summer gloves have the wipe unfortunately. those patrons look pretty good so I may see if I like them. I've been somewhat frustrated with the equinox gloves in the rain here in TN since it is often 80+ when it pours

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

yeah none of my summer gloves have the wipe unfortunately. those patrons look pretty good so I may see if I like them. I've been somewhat frustrated with the equinox gloves in the rain here in TN since it is often 80+ when it pours

Bob Heath (and a million knockoffs) make a little rubber wiper you can slip over your finger. Not quite as good as a properly-fitted one, but a viable alternative if you can't get on with those gloves.

(equally viable but even more ghetto is the one I've used more than once of just attaching a microfibre cloth to my arm with rubber bands - that's started as a bit of Heath Robinson improvisation because I was stranded otherwise, but is actually pretty amazing for that sort of sticky drizzle you get that somehow can't be shifted otherwise - wipers just smear it around, wind never clears it, it's worse than bloody snow in a lot of ways)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

right arm posted:

https://www.thevisorshop.com/Mobile/en/us/Held-Satu-II-Gore-Tex-Motorycle-Gloves-Black/m-m-23860.aspx

I ordered these in from Northern Ireland because I couldn't find anything here in the US either. Typical Held quality, no insulation, half the price of those stupid two chamber gloves they sell here in the states.

Wearing latex or nitrile gloves under your bike gloves in the summer just ends up with your hands getting sweaty AF, so much so that you might as well not bother. Maybe it works in cooler temps but in TN summers? That's gonna be a no from me, dawg

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 5, 2020

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I have and can recommend this one: Richa Atlantic Gtx
https://www.motolegends.com/gloves/richa-atlantic-gtx-gloves-in-black.html

Proper sliders, visor wipe, shorty, soft d3o knuckles, solid construction and uses goretex.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:tipshat:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If a helmet is ece/dot certified, is it the same helmet that is sold in the eu/US? Looking at an HJC C70 for instance, it's only dot here in the US which I know is a completely trash rating, but it scores 5 stars on the SHARP UK ratings. Also it will never pass snell because of the drop down sun visor so I'm not concerned about it lacking that rating. Is it safe to assume it's the same helmet? Or do I need to buy from an eu website?

Nolan N87 is also same story (albeit with only 4 star rating).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

If it's not dual-rated ECE there's no guarantees, but it's probably similar enough, and fine. There are plenty of good DOT helmets out there, HJC is a reputable brand.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Russian Bear posted:

If a helmet is ece/dot certified, is it the same helmet that is sold in the eu/US? Looking at an HJC C70 for instance, it's only dot here in the US which I know is a completely trash rating, but it scores 5 stars on the SHARP UK ratings. Also it will never pass snell because of the drop down sun visor so I'm not concerned about it lacking that rating. Is it safe to assume it's the same helmet? Or do I need to buy from an eu website?

Nolan N87 is also same story (albeit with only 4 star rating).
It really depends on the manufacturer. Arai claims that there is no difference other than some sizing differences in its helmets for different markets. But the same doesn't necessarily hold true across the board.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

According to Billy, there are small variations across markets for the C70.

But it’s likely they’re the same.

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/hjc-c70-full-face-polycarbonate-motorcycle-helmet-review/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks for the answers, I've been in a helmet safety rabbit hole last couple of days.