Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Nitrox posted:

The Cycle Gear brands (they have several) are very much "good enough" and used to give a lifetime warranty on some of the items. Not anymore, but I hear they still replace garments with very little fuss without checking your receipt. And I salute them for it
I have a Sedici Helmet they replaced without question or receipt because one of the tabs for closing the airflow came off. All I wanted was a new plastic tab, but they went and got a new helmet for me. I have since replaced with a Shoei, but the Sedici was super comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

I bought the photochromic visor for my RF1400. I need prescription glasses and I don't always remember to bring my Rx sunglasses.
Love this visor! The transition is gradual and almost not noticeable. Sun in my face or night riding, either works great. Spendy but I think I'd buy it again if it got hosed up.
My ~$280 Bell came stock with a photochromic visor and I just don't get why way more expensive helmets don't; I don't think I could be without one at this point. I also don't own any sunglasses though.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

bizwank posted:

My ~$280 Bell came stock with a photochromic visor and I just don't get why way more expensive helmets don't; I don't think I could be without one at this point. I also don't own any sunglasses though.

I wish I could get them for either of my helmets. Arai never does it and while my RPHA series HJC has an internal visor, it offers so little darkening in spite of visually being deeply tinted, and any direct sunlight gets spread out like a spiderweb of glare.

My go-to is still a set of $15 Honewell/Uvex safety glasses with relatively thin arms, a reasonable tint, are impact rated for worry-free riding with the visor up, and have a truly effective anti-fog baked in.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I used to have photo-whatever prescription glasses maybe a decade ago, and the transition was so slow, that I was basically flying blind, while entering a tunnel or particularly long bridge or overhang. And then I would be blinded by the sunlight upon exiting the dark area and having my lenses finally adjust to the darkness. Maybe technology has improved since then, but it definitely left a sour feeling, especially considering the cost

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Update on the Klim Marrakesh saga:
Got told to go gently caress myself with the warranty claim, so so much for the 450 bucks jacket. Guess I'll have a sewing shop try to fix it in a semi nice way. Great jacket but definitely the last thing I'm ever buying from them.

Huge contrast with Quad Lock, wherein the ring got stuck in the case, and I had to bend it to get it loose. I simply told them about the issue, with no request for anything and they sent me a new ring AND case.

In conclusion, gently caress Klim.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sorry to hear that. But also quad lock costs pennies to make while they charge you like 60 bucks. Apparently you can even 3D print your own.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Fair enough, but it's also going above and beyond at Quad Lock.

Really wondering what costs Klim have in Vietnam given the quality. If a seam just gives up with a few weeks of normal use, you wonder what would actually happen in a crash.

Just in a bad mood, it was like my first premium piece that I sprung for and I was so stoked on it, recommending it to some co-workers, and now it's just ruined.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The best part about my Astar jaws jacket is all the repairs I’ve done on it, it looks like a Frankenstein now.

Sorry to hear about Klim screwing you over and I hope the repair goes well!

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Cataffy posted:

Update on the Klim Marrakesh saga:
Got told to go gently caress myself with the warranty claim, so so much for the 450 bucks jacket. Guess I'll have a sewing shop try to fix it in a semi nice way. Great jacket but definitely the last thing I'm ever buying from them.
Was all communication through the store? You might want to try filing a warranty claim directly through Klim yourself, you can do it on their website. If you're in the US you have protections against companies being shady with their warranty coverage (look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and your state AG's consumer affairs division); there's no way a lightly used jacket should be tearing at a seam just from wearing it for its intended purpose. Your other option is pushing the store to make things right or they can eat a chargeback and never see another dollar from you. I wouldn't accept that from a $100 piece of clothing much less a $450 one.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
I'm in Norway. I got the store to take another run at it with Klim. They were also surprised that Klim rejected it. They are a fairly highly regarded vendor so I don't think they are trying to pull anything on me.

Klim's claim is that it tore from getting caught on something, but I'm 100% that has not happened. It's on the inside of the left elbow and I would have noticed. Gonna see what they come back with first, then try Klim directly if not. Otherwise it's a patch job for me, but obviously not until this is settled one way or another. I know they've denied people on waterproofing failures if they done road side taping during a trip.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Ah gotcha. That's pretty hosed up regardless; unless there's obvious evidence it snagged on something that's just them trying to weasel out of actually standing behind their products.

I had the waist button pop off a pair of Dainese pants after just a couple hundred miles on them; emailed their customer support, they sent me some paperwork and told me to drop them at the nearest shop, and I had them back two weeks later looking like new again. At no point was there any hesitation or questioning if they'd cover it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It would be easy to see if there is a point of impact that tore the jacket open. Maybe take high resolution pictures as proof or something. If they're claiming user damage, the onus of proof is on them. Otherwise the default option, is bad craftsmanship.

I imagine it's like an insurance industry, denying claims wholesale, but then caving in when people push back. It works out great, because some people never push back.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Cataffy posted:

I'm in Norway. I got the store to take another run at it with Klim. They were also surprised that Klim rejected it. They are a fairly highly regarded vendor so I don't think they are trying to pull anything on me.

If you're in Norway check this https://www.forbrukerradet.no/forside/feil-ved-vare/

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I had warranty repair done on 2 Klim items before in Norway. Just go directly through international klim corporate. I’ve warratied both klim gear bought via motor speed.no and xlmoto. They only wanted proof of purchase, didn’t have to deal with the store that’s most likely the part in the chain that is loving you over.

The store don’t care, you are just giving them work on a sold item at no profit , klim has reputation to uphold.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Thanks for all the advice guys, will proceed accordingly. Will update when I ge something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I ordered a pair of Scott Prospect MX goggles and when I opened the box I found that whatever they used on the headband to provide the rubber grip surface had just melted into literal sticky goo.

Mailed them back to the the shop for a replacement and the replacement was... the same.

Trying to decide out if I want to bother going right to Scott for a third replacement at this point, or whether I just scrape off the goo and wash the band. I guess it's not really visor-up weather yet so maybe I'll see what Scott has to say.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

I ordered a pair of Scott Prospect MX goggles and when I opened the box I found that whatever they used on the headband to provide the rubber grip surface had just melted into literal sticky goo.

Mailed them back to the the shop for a replacement and the replacement was... the same.

Trying to decide out if I want to bother going right to Scott for a third replacement at this point, or whether I just scrape off the goo and wash the band. I guess it's not really visor-up weather yet so maybe I'll see what Scott has to say.

That's the kind of breakdown you see after about 10 years with that rubber, sounds like they got a bad batch that decayed early and either haven't noticed or your vendor missed a recall. I'd expect to get the same outcome with a third unit from the same source.

If you keep it, goo gone or your locally available citrus-scented adhesive remover will clean up the mess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks! Some reddit posts (anecdotally) confirm that Scott knows of a bad batch from 22/23 so I'll give them a shot. Sounds like they've been replacing them and just want users to cut the strap and mark up the shield to process a replacement. Going to ping them but see if they're flexible on keeping the shield as a spare.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 6, 2024

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I need new boots and by happenstance I spotted an ad for a pair of pre-owned Alpinestars SMX plus V2 in mint condition in my size for less than half what they cost new. Does anyone know if these boots are any good? I don't think this is the gore-tex model so they might not be waterproof. I need waterproof boots for road trips but at the price I'm thinking it might be OK to own more than one pair, and it doesn't rain hard on most of my rides.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Invalido posted:

I need new boots and by happenstance I spotted an ad for a pair of pre-owned Alpinestars SMX plus V2 in mint condition in my size for less than half what they cost new. Does anyone know if these boots are any good? I don't think this is the gore-tex model so they might not be waterproof. I need waterproof boots for road trips but at the price I'm thinking it might be OK to own more than one pair, and it doesn't rain hard on most of my rides.

Those are very good boots, but half of what they cost new is like $200, which is still plenty to buy good waterproof boots if that's your primary concern. But otherwise, yeah, half price if they truly are near-new is a great buy on a boot like that.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I lowballed the guy and bought them for €150. They fit perfectly and were indeed mint, still smells like fresh boots even. The guy seemed pretty dumb and representative of an archetypical motorcycle dreamer. He had bought an R1 and gear a few years ago without knowing how to ride but never actually got his licence, so a few practice rides is all these have seen. Then the baby came and the wife put her foot down. You know the drill.

I really need waterproof boots only when touring, also I need boots that are comfortable to walk around in when touring. Most of the time I'm not touring, just riding to work or running errands or on a day trip or something, so wet feet every now and then in that setting isn't the end of the world (also these might actually dry out in a reasonable timeframe after getting wet) and these boots are obviously way, way safer than my first and only worn out touring style pair - which proved to not be watertight anymore when I really needed them to be last summer days away from home on a Norway motocamping trip. Gore-tex membranes are sensitive and they tend to fail before anything else does in many shoes I've owned, boots and otherwise. So I'll buy a reasonably priced pair of soft and comfy-walking waterproof touring boots as well and wear them for touring or when foul weather riding exclusively so the membranes do what they should when I need them to.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I have the SMX 6, which slot in below the SMX Plus in the SMX line of sport/race boots of Alpinestars. They're comfy enough and very protective, but not something I'd want to walk around all day in. I'd assume the Plus would be more or less the same.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My packtalk bold is good for like 30 minutes now so I ordered a replacement battery. Worst case I'll upgrade to the Edge or something, but I wanted to check if anyone knows whether the Edge can use the same in-helmet accessories as the Bold, keeping the same connectors into a new helmet cradle? Or whether they replaced the speaker and mic connectors with something new.

I don't really want to re-wire both of my helmets, especially since I have the nice JBL speakers in both., if all I have to do is swap out the cradle in the event my battery upgrade goes south.

answering my own question here, but yes, the mic and speakers are just snap in replacements to the cradle, so if your speakers are firmly fixed in place and are equivalent to what you'd get with an Edge or Neo then you can re-use them.

Since it's all just velcro and the helmet foam was all already apart I decided to just swap everything out and refresh the whole setup.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Invalido posted:

I really need waterproof boots only when touring, also I need boots that are comfortable to walk around in when touring.

I have alpinestars j6 boots and they fit this pretty well - definitely waterproof, I've walked through streams in them so fully submerged in 2+ inches of water and no water ingress. Comfortable for walking/hiking in, I've done three hour hikes alongside five hours on the bike in them with no fatigue. They have pretty much zero grip so no use for wet rocks etc but I think that's reasonable since it's not really their purpose. Obviously fine for walking on pavement.

The one issue I have had is that they are not very tall and so my (Scott) rain trousers ride up above the top of the boot and so rain will get in by soaking my socks. I'm going to stitch some loops into the trousers to prevent them riding up so high, but worth knowing. I have thick wool hiking socks so it didn't really bother me since wool stays warm even when wet, good socks also worth considering if you are touring I think. The boots were still wet the following morning but by the end of that day's ride they had dried out.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I tried the new boots this morning. They ride great, but I'll have to adjust the shifter a smidge downward I think. They'll take some getting used to and are a bit more cumbersome than my old pair to put on but I think I'll like them and wear them for many years to come. Something about them makes me feel not only safer but also like a slightly better rider than before, it's like they help me be more planted on the bike and improve my posture just a little or something. Weird and unexpected, but nice.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Oh are we talking about how much we all love our smx6 again?

Love mine!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I just ordered 201 pairs of earplugs. This winter I went with the kiddos to one of those vertical body flight wind tunnels, and the instructor guy managed to properly insert one size fits all plugs on a whole lot of kids including mine without issue, something I've been struggling with when I bring them on the moto. I snagged a pair, and finally got around to try and identify them. They look to be Howard Leigh pink/yellow striped foamies so I ordered a big bag of those - other than being comfy and quiet they feel softer and fluffier and seem to roll up much smaller than other foam plugs I've tried so maybe that's why they are so easy to insert (though the body flight guy has probably done that thousands of times). I also got yet another pair of Alpine motosafes. I like them a lot but they don't last more than a season, at least not the way I treat them.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Invalido posted:

I just ordered 201 pairs of earplugs. This winter I went with the kiddos to one of those vertical body flight wind tunnels, and the instructor guy managed to properly insert one size fits all plugs on a whole lot of kids including mine without issue, something I've been struggling with when I bring them on the moto. I snagged a pair, and finally got around to try and identify them. They look to be Howard Leigh pink/yellow striped foamies so I ordered a big bag of those - other than being comfy and quiet they feel softer and fluffier and seem to roll up much smaller than other foam plugs I've tried so maybe that's why they are so easy to insert (though the body flight guy has probably done that thousands of times). I also got yet another pair of Alpine motosafes. I like them a lot but they don't last more than a season, at least not the way I treat them.

EarPeace are my go-to. I didn't care for the shape and size of Alpine

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have weird alien ear holes or something and I've yet to find something I can live with long term. I think EarPeace comes closes for me though.

I wish I had normal ears and could just throw cheap foamies in.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I always bought these 24 packs of orange foamies at Shoppers and they were good for biek and concerts. Then I saw a tub of 100 for like six bucks more and figured it'd be a better deal.

The tub ones were much harder to roll and I couldn't get a fit! Threw them out and went back to the 24 card packs.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I just steal the foamies at work

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
The main reason I prefer motosafes over foamies is that I belong to the 2-3% of people who have faulty wiring and start coughing when the ear canal is stimulated (yes it's dumb but it's a a thing: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29197546/)
Motosafes don't trigger the reflex for me nearly as much as foamies do for some reason. I keep some foamies under the saddle though because they come in handy sometimes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Invalido posted:

The main reason I prefer motosafes over foamies is that I belong to the 2-3% of people who have faulty wiring and start coughing when the ear canal is stimulated (yes it's dumb but it's a a thing: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29197546/)
Motosafes don't trigger the reflex for me nearly as much as foamies do for some reason. I keep some foamies under the saddle though because they come in handy sometimes.

Huh! Thanks for posting that, I've been sending myself into coughing fits every time I dug too greedily and too deep with a qtip since childhood, so at least I can tell my wife that I'm weird but not uniquely weird

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Same here so how rare is this condition, really?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

TotalLossBrain posted:

Same here so how rare is this condition, really?

I doubt it's been studied enough to know this with any certainty. I'm gonna wildly guess it's about as common as being left handed. Sure seems to cause health issues for some people if that one study is to be believed. For me it's just a mild inconvenience in certain settings - i figured out I was weird this way at the shooting range as a conscript but was reminded much later when internet searches worked good enough that I found out that its indeed a medically recognized thing. The Vagus nerve is super weird in lots of ways.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

I have weird alien ear holes or something and I've yet to find something I can live with long term. I think EarPeace comes closes for me though.

I wish I had normal ears and could just throw cheap foamies in.

I believe the joke that was made here about me last time this came up was that I have narrow earethras, so … I hear you. (:v:)

Other than the name, I’ve been very happy with the smallest size Eargasm.

Considering getting something custom from an audiologist because I already hosed my hearing in my youth.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My left earethra is wider than my right

I use the Howard Leigh ones

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 13, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Geekboy posted:

I believe the joke that was made here about me last time this came up was that I have narrow earethras, so … I hear you. (:v:)

lol that's perfect.

My ear canal takes like a 45 degree turn and then a 45 degree turn back to normal so it's literally just a wall there to obstruct foamies :mad:

I have custom earplugs for the rifle range but they're so cumbersome and honestly they fall off their lanyard so much that I'm weary of losing them since I remember them being expensive.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gonna just reiterate that the Loop Quiet plugs are the best ones I've used. I bought extra pairs so I can leave them in the pockets of each of my jackets, in the shop, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Gonna just reiterate that the Loop Quiet plugs are the best ones I've used. I bought extra pairs so I can leave them in the pockets of each of my jackets, in the shop, etc

I’ve got these for travel, concerts and stuff. I still think the HL foamies do a better job in overall noise reduction so I use those on the moto.