Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I have to return some Klim pants I got from Fortnine because they don't fit. Looking at the other possible in-stock options, I'm looking at either Rev'it Horizon 2 pants or Icon Raiden pant (2020+ version). The Horizon 2's look more the kind of style I'm used to (pretty much always had Dainese gear, currently have a Carve Master 2 jacket), but they don't look very practical and their venting kind of seems gimmicky. The Raidens look very practical, but they also look very baggy. Normally I just wear shorts or just gitch under my riding pants in the summer, and thermal underwear in the winter. The Raidens look like they're built to go over baggy jeans. I'm not sure what my other options are in the world of bonded (as opposed to removable liner) gore-tex or gore-tex equivalent in the ~$500-600 Canadian price range are. I'd look at some Carve Master 2/3 pants, if anyone had them in stock. Has anyone got any experience with the Horizon 2s or Raidens? Any other suggestions for all season gore-tex gear? (I live in Vancouver, it rains considerably all winter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

right arm posted:

not specifically the horizon 2, but rev’it stuff sizes a tiny bit looser than dainese gear in my experience. definitely not an kansas cut like klim does but also not cut for a 5’4” sexual harasser like astars. fits me perfectly in my experience, although klim does offer short and tall inseam lengths which is nice for weirdos like me with a long torso (6’0”, 30” inseam lol)

for gear though I highly recommend layering over buying goretex armored motorcycle gear. you’ll spend less and get far better stuff. most gore tex tops start around like $500+ for stuff using a liner vs layering where you can have a layer to remove that keeps everything under dry, plus you can just toss it in a backpack when you don’t need it with some WP gloves. I personally run mosko’s deluge jacket and pants (think like an arc’teryx beta or similar) but they’re currently doing a revision rn, so if I were you I’d get their rak gear (top & pants) since it’s designed to wear over gear you already own. mosko rules, they’re in white salmon and make excellent stuff. they’ll do partial refunds and fixes for crashes. I’ve had nothing but good experience using their WP gear and luggage in OR / PNW / TN downpours. highly recommended. can also check advrider flea market for used deluge gear.

Thanks for the advice. I was also looking at the A* Andes v3 pants, and from the reviews, your description is spot on. Size up, then size up again. My preference is bonded gore-tex. The removable liner stuff is crap, because the outer layer just gets waterlogged, ends up weighing a ton, and never dries out properly if you ride frequently. A bonded gore-tex shell (like my snowboarding gear, except with armor and abrasion resistance) is the best combination of rain protection and convenience, imo. Having to put on and take off an outer shell depending on conditions, and always having to carry that shell with you because the conditions might be different one hour to the next, especially with pants that have to go over your boots, which are probably dirty and wet from puddles anyway, is a ball ache. That being said, if I can't find what I want because stock levels are low, I'll look into a shell that'll go over my Kevlar jeans. I mean, if I do that I guess I could probably just wear my snowboarding pants, they should be baggy enough to fit over the jeans.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

All I know about the Turtle 2 is it uses a cord as the firing mechanism, which I'm sure has its advantages and disadvantages, but I KNOW for a fact I'd get off the the bike and set it off. The A* Tech-Air 5 is roughly the same price I think, it's probably something to consider but I can't really speak to which is better. No battery with the Turtle, but no cord with the Tech-Air 5.

Fortnine did a video about it that was probably posted here at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2jZryt607U

You'd kind of have to fall down to set it off by accident.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Something I've been thinking about trying, because there just isn't the stuff on the shelves to be sold at a discount, is wearing snowboarding pants over my armored kevlar jeans. They're baggy enough to be worn as a shell, but less baggy than some Klim stuff I've seen, have gaiters to stop water going up them, have a 3-ply gore-tex membrane and are fully seam taped, have useful outer pockets, and my one pair even has suspenders and a bib. You are a lot more likely to find previous season snowboarding gear on sale for cheap than motorcycle gear. Downside is they don't have heat resistant panels where they might contact an exhaust, but then cheaper MC gear doesn't have that either.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I used to have a pair of these for winter. They worked quite well for UK winters. I didn't ride below freezing, but they were great for just above that and rain. Not cheap though.
Before that I just wore gore-tex snowboarding gloves which worked great, though I expect they would get mangled in a faster crash. I expect they'd hold up at low speed though, given the abuse they take during snowboarding.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bizwank posted:

I've currently got two broken-ish pieces of gear:

1) Dainese Carve Master 2 pants ($450), at the end of my last ride the main waist closure button just popped off. It's a two-piece metal button that clamps the fabric between the halves of the stem, and the mating surface is woefully under-sized for the task; there's now a hole in the fabric where it was attached so this isn't something that can just be sewed back on. These pants are less than a year old, I only have maybe 400 miles on them and they aren't snug on me so not like this is a case of :btroll:. Submitted a customer service request through their website two weeks ago when this happened, got a confirmation email but no human response. Emailed them directly a week later, still nothing. Called the US HQ today and every phone menu option either goes to a full voicemail box or just disconnects. I was going to call the local store but they're only open 3 days a week now (Tues-Thurs wtf). I'm making due with my summer pants + thermals but that only works on dry days.

2) Bell Qualifier DLX ($280), noticed last night one side of the chin vent wasn't closing with the slider (which might help explain my colder-than usual face last ride). Not a huge deal, but again, it's less than a year old and I'm very careful with my gear. Submitted a request on their website last night, woke up to an email from Chad asking for the model info, receipt and a photo of the issue. Sent it, he replied an hour later saying they're shipping me an entire new helmet and I can keep this one (at least for now?)

I don't really have a point with this, just wanted to share the contrast between how well these companies are (currently) providing post-sale support.

You can probably take the pants to a dry cleaner/alterations place and get them to rivet a heavy duty snap in its place.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

My old Dainese boots are getting worn out. I'm looking for something similarly protective but more walkable if possible. Not expecting a running shoe, but something that won't give me blisters if I decide to ride out somewhere and walk around for the afternoon. How are Daytona boots from that perspective? I think that former regular poster z3n really loved them, but he doesn't post anymore.

Daytonas are great, if a but spendy. Durable, long lasting, waterproof. There's other boots that do certain things better, but for me, Daytonas hit that good enough at everything sweet spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMA5axr-Syc
I am intrigued by the superhero skin tactical sweater.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm thinking about picking up some mid-height more casual riding boots/shoes for around town, and save my big gore-tex Daytonas for touring and bad weather.
On the things that look like ordinary boots front, there's things like the RevIt Portland (the heel looks stupid and likely to catch on something imo) and some offerings from TCX. On the kind of looks like shoes end, there's thinks like Alpinestars Chrome and some Dainese shoes that look pretty flimsy. RevIt shoes seem to have poor build quality from the reviews. Any advice? I want something that's comfortable to walk around in off the bike and doesn't require hiking my riding jeans up to put on and take off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Thanks, I'll check out the alpinestars offerings. They seem to be just way better built than the other brands when it comes to this kind of footwear. The Monty V2 looks pretty nice as well, but it's an extra $100, and I don't think I want to spend that much. Cycle Gear Bellingham has chromes in stock so I'll try them on for fit next week.