Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

SEKCobra posted:

I want a phone on my dash so I can use GPS on my bike, I don't have an in-helmet entertainment system to tell me about turns and also like the ability to see an approximation of a curve beforehand.
I am using my second phone for the bike dash functionality and am using crash detection on longer tours anyway.

Of course I could buy an expensive GPS with inferior features and worse mounting options, but somehow I don't feel like it.

I just wear earbuds.

I have a RAM mount on my FZ, but I don't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Razzled posted:

when i was looking for my first dirt bike helmet i just bought any old brand (Fly Racing V1) and it was so heavily narrow and angled I had to just about break the lower jaw portion to be able to wear it longer than 30 minutes and even then it would give me headaches on the way to the mountains until it broke in heavily. so try not to do that because it sucks to be out on a ride and realize your head hurts

I'm very suspicious of Fly helmets after my buddy lightly bonked a tree with one, snapped his chin bar and concussed the poo poo out if himself, actually that goes for most of the manufacturers that only make dirt gear, besides like 6D and TLD.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rev'it makes good WP stuff too, Forma for boots, mix and match until you find something that suites you at the right cost.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

Couple first thoughts on the RF1200, coming from an RF1100:
  • Ow, my freakin ears! Didn't expect the removable speaker things, so they hurt like a mother on first try.
  • Ears still hurt after removing those, so already not looking great. Especially taking the helmet off.
  • Very right across my forehead, so I don't think this is going well. Left a pattern on my skin after about 20 minutes lol.
  • This must be fresh from the factory because the off-gassing is intense. Had to put it in front of a fan in my living room because it was stinking up my bedroom.
So yeah, it's gotta go back.

I heard about the fitment difference on the RF1200, so I got a GT Air, which is a solid helmet and fits like the RF1100.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

If it's not dual-rated ECE there's no guarantees, but it's probably similar enough, and fine. There are plenty of good DOT helmets out there, HJC is a reputable brand.