Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, I agree with the previous replies; Tunon has a much bigger problem with someone being clever to subvert the law than someone just applying it credulously. He says as much, that he doesn’t trust Furia’s account, but it is the only account the Court is going to hear, and he’s not going to lose sleep over someone taking it at face value.

There’s another adjudication that I’ve never seen mentioned anywhere, and I have no idea what triggers it. I think you have to have gone to Azure in conquest and thrown both armies at Cairn to save the town (in which case it remains Plainsgate instead of changing to Halfgate, and there’s a couple more houses instead of a big crater in the corner), and be on the Chorus route.

In it, a Blood Chanter tries to sue you for losses incurred during Conquest, and you just happen to walk in while he’s airing his grievances to another Fatebinder, who defers to you. Surprisingly, you come to the conclusion that he has no grounds to sue and find him guilty of wasting the Court’s time with spurious accusations. You’re then given a whole range of options for punishment, including execution, beatings, fines, a stern warning, or letting the other Fatebinder decide. I forget what else, but I think some sort of indentured servitude is also on the table. Literally every option except a small fine will result in the other Fatebinder berating you for being too strict/lenient/lazy, and a pip of Tunon Wrath. Lemme tell you, it is not a fun adjudication to deal with on a zero Tunon wrath run.

It's extremely on brand to have a trial in the game where you are both the defendant and the judge. Shame that the extremely specific trigger conditions means almost no players see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I wish I'd known about that to show it off. :(

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I totally forgot about it until the Furia trial came up, and I may be overselling it. It’s possible the other Fatebinder clears you and only refers to you on the punishment itself. I may not even have gotten the conditions for getting it right!

E: It may be the one time you’re allowed to remember that wasting a Fatebinder’s time is a crime, which is what I thought was neat about it.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 22, 2021

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Keldulas posted:

loving typical Obsidian. Make really interesting content with lots of variation and depth, and not finish their poo poo properly. I'm just glad that they mostly finished Tyranny. Act 3 at the end is extremely rushed, but it at least concludes the game properly enough on its themes (even if the ending cards are kind of a disaster).

I'm begging everyone to play Pillars of Eternity 2 which, in the same way this game looks at tyranny/imperialism, that game looks at colonialism, and it's actually good with good gameplay and it has a real ending.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So I have been sitting here for days unable to come up with a real concluding post that's not just regurgitating what I said in the game playthroughs.

I think I'm just gonna prep the thread for archives and call the LP here. Thanks again to everyone who came along for the ride!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Thanks for the the LP TGEK! Hopefully now you can get to play a game you completely like, haha

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

dervival posted:

Thanks for the the LP TGEK! Hopefully now you can get to play a game you completely like, haha

Sadly, my next LP is ongoing right now, and it's ATOM RPG

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Thanks for the LP, GEK! :toot:

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
This was awesome to catch up on, and I really liked the literary comparisons. Thanks!

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So I have been sitting here for days unable to come up with a real concluding post that's not just regurgitating what I said in the game playthroughs.

I think I'm just gonna prep the thread for archives and call the LP here. Thanks again to everyone who came along for the ride!

In conclusion, Tyranny is a game of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
Thanks for the LP! It was very interesting to see a very thorough analysis of the game and it's themes.