Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I’m more of a mushroom guy but I’ve had fair luck with garlic mustard and know if a few good nettle patches to pick over next growing season. I know some ramp patches too but they’re so small (and on public ground so probably getting foraged already) that I’m loathe to take any from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh hey, I had no idea there was a foraging thread.

Speaking of black walnuts, we harvested a pile of unripe black walnuts earlier this year and packed most of them in sugar for walnut syrup, and grain alcohol for nocino.

The nocino is still hanging out, but we strained and boiled the syrup a week or two ago. It's, uh, interesting. It's very strongly earthy and a touch astringent, but it's supposed to mellow out as it rests. The only way I can describe the taste is how old growth deciduous forests smell in the fall.

Oh yeah I tried the syrup too! Makes a mean old fashioned.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Check with your local park rangers, a lot of places host volunteer events and/or train laypeople to beat back invasives in public areas.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Neon Noodle posted:

Tree of Heaven, I will destroy you if it takes the rest of my life

Apply Triclopyr, repeatedly

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nice! If you can try to harvest only leaves to keep the patch healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

DrBouvenstein posted:

Jealous.

I've never found ramps or morels. :(

The people I know who routinely bag a lot of morels are mushroomers as a core part of their identity and either have access to primo habitat or put in a lot of miles to find and check spots; they’re hard to find in great volume compared to chanterelles and others.

I did find one recently though (along with some non foraging things I cut out of this quote)

the yeti posted:

Found my first proper morel :neckbeard:
Morchella section morchella*

*M. diminutiva & M. americana are basically indistinguishable at this size, and there are probably other species in that section that are possible. It’s a complex genus with a lot of variability at the naked-eye scale.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 4, 2024