Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Sprue posted:

I'm making a moss and natives shade garden in a corner of my yard. I'm excited to learn about propagating moss. I bought some as an impulse, then gathered a bunch of fragments from gutters and here and there, and also in the process of keeping the moss watered am creating the ideal moss habitat, so it looks like I've captured some local spores as well - it starts off looking like an algae film and then grows lil fuzz. Also I found two different clubmosses to add, which are a whole other beast. How do ppl feel about gathering wild plant specimens? With moss it seems to me fine if your not greedy, I just take little quarter sized fragments that I find either already brushed off a rock or either in a clump that stretchs 30 feet and I feel fine abt it personally. Also I unabashedly yank bits from gutters and the side of buildings.

I've read about people tossing moss in a blender, turning it into soup, then painting it onto rocks or concrete garden liners where it develops into a nice carpet. I live in a terminally dry xeric ecotype so I've never had luck with it, even transplants are hard enough to keep alive much less propagate.

Apart from a few native cultivars I bought from a nursery out of desperation, I only grow wild plants I've collected, mostly from seed. I would transplant more but few species out here handle the journey well and specific soil conditions are difficult to replicate. I've tried transplanting sagebrush seedlings several times but they root crazy deep and are fragile enough as it is, so none have survived their first winter. Collecting wild plants isn't a problem at all particularly if you're caring for and propagating them. Moss is hard to kill and being non-vascular I'm sure it would appreciate any help you provide in spreading spores around. Even collecting flowers for ornaments is fine as long as you don't go overboard and excise most of an entire generation from a site. A little bit from here and there never hurts, but going ham can have rippling effects on foragers and pollinators that might rely on a given plant for food or nesting. The one exception are rare species, or even non-rare species with a limited presence at a given site. It's good to help by priming and spreading some seed if you know what you're doing but otherwise they should be left alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU