Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh hey, I had no idea there was a foraging thread.

Speaking of black walnuts, we harvested a pile of unripe black walnuts earlier this year and packed most of them in sugar for walnut syrup, and grain alcohol for nocino.

The nocino is still hanging out, but we strained and boiled the syrup a week or two ago. It's, uh, interesting. It's very strongly earthy and a touch astringent, but it's supposed to mellow out as it rests. The only way I can describe the taste is how old growth deciduous forests smell in the fall.

The lady and I tried to make nocino this year and it turned out...horribly. I don't know what we did wrong. It was dirty and tasted awful, like bad vinegar. Pretty sure we didn't add enough sugar. We've had better luck in the past too, and it's pretty great when it comes out right...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sorry to hear that yours wasn't good, MEIN RAVEN. I'm not sure what would make it taste like vinegar... in theory, not enough sugar would just make it taste like a black walnut vodka, just more harsh and not sweet. I wonder if somehow the walnuts rotted? Were they completely covered in the vodka? Container maybe wasn't sealed properly? In too warm a place?

You know, we were too tired to do an autopsy. We got them REALLY ripe this year actually, in June. I think we didn't add enough sugar and it just tasted like bad gritty vodka, none of the smoothness and such. I do wonder too if the walnuts maybe rotted in the liquor, as they were really ashy when we pulled them out. Container was a mason jar with a secure lid, has worked in the past. Stuck them in a cool dark place, but we don't have AC here in the great northwest so....who knows. We'll revisit next year and try again. We have SO MANY of them in the area.