Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

This is a good thread. Me and the wife mostly concentrate on mushrooms and leafy plants such as fireweed (Chamaenerion angustifolium) when foraging, but this year we found a fantastic swamp. It has cloudberries (Rubus chamaemorus), bog bilberries (Vaccinium uliginosum), blueberries (Vaccinium myrtillus), lingonberries (Vaccinium vitis-idaea) and a shitload of cranberries that'll soon be ripe (Vaccinium oxycoccos and Vaccinium microcarpum). It's basically a who's who of finnish berries.

But there's also a good amount of one berry that was completely new to us, the crowberry (Empetrum nigrum). Empetrum nigrum ssp. hermaphroditum to be exact. These are small, black berries which grow in decent sized bunches on a small evergreen shrub. The hermaphroditum subspecies is smaller than the more northern nigrum subspecies, so very few people seem to pick it. I admit that it's more or less all seeds and the taste is very mild when raw, but it makes for a great soup. It's also quick and easy to pick since the berries are very nice and firm. I'd much rater pick a shitton of these than blueberries, which are an absolute drag to gather. It won't take you long to gather a nice bucket of the good stuff. PLUS, you get to be in a bog!

Pictured are a bunch of cloudberry plants, but no berries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Also thimbleberry, red flowering currant, salal, and lingonberry. Plus we took some evergreen huckleberry from a campsite we were at recently (where they were very abundant), but I don't think they made it.

Just out of curiosity, what are the methods of storing lingonberry in the US? Over here, it's just mashed up, placed in an airtight container so that the juices/pulp covers all the berries and set in a cool place. No added sugar or freezing required.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

b mad at me posted:

Are you from the 1950s?

True, I really should have used the more accurate cohabitational non-registered partner.