Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Bismuth posted:

If you live in the PNW there might be fucktons of oregon grape (Mahonia aquifolium) around, looks like a holly bush growing blueberries.

They are edible! They taste absolutely dreadful off the bush but they're kind of like cranberries, if you just add sugar you will unlock a secret delicious flavor. I like to make and can jam/jelly and syrup with them every year. Don't ignore this noble plant, the raw berries might make your face turn inside out but the cooked and sugared flavor is lovely.

Im not sure why they aren't farmed for food, they're easy to grow and can produce overwhelming volumes of berries

I have a couple of Mahonia nervosa waiting to be planted. Very excited!

Also thimbleberry, red flowering currant, salal, and lingonberry. Plus we took some evergreen huckleberry from a campsite we were at recently (where they were very abundant), but I don't think they made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I was going through some old pictures, and here's one from a hike on Table Mountain. The king proteas were in bloom.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Awesome! Was just chatting with my brother and his wife who are now living near the woods in Poland, and they've been gathering bilberries too.

Apparently they're the indigenous European blueberry, vs the North American varieties that are commercially produced.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

And a berry I'm not familiar with. The clusters remind me a little of skrubbær (Chamaepericlymenum suecicum) but that has a brighter red, smaller leaves and larger berries. So not very similar really.

If it were this side of the Atlantic, I'd suspect salmonberry. It's definitely Rubus of some sort. Maybe cloudberry (Rubus chamaemorus)?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

MEIN RAVEN posted:

You know, we were too tired to do an autopsy. We got them REALLY ripe this year actually, in June. I think we didn't add enough sugar and it just tasted like bad gritty vodka, none of the smoothness and such. I do wonder too if the walnuts maybe rotted in the liquor, as they were really ashy when we pulled them out. Container was a mason jar with a secure lid, has worked in the past. Stuck them in a cool dark place, but we don't have AC here in the great northwest so....who knows. We'll revisit next year and try again. We have SO MANY of them in the area.

For what it's worth, nothing lives in 80-proof liquor (assuming that's what you were using). But I guess the nuts could have rotted before the ethanol had a chance to properly soak into them?

Is there a reason not to coarse chop/grind the nuts?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Just watch out for worms. As I understand, the thing with walnuts is that they get infested if the groundfall isn't cleared away. As in, if they're wormy, you could clear up the groundfall and after a year or two they'd be good.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

In the nuts.

But check them before you get too sad about it! They might be fine!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

:toot:

And yeah lol, you can probably find a nutcracker at a thrift store.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Horseradish?

Cauliflower?

It's kinda hard to tell, but I think I see one root half out the ground that looks horseradish-like.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Looks to me like it could be canola

I guess I think of canola leaves as being smaller, but that would be after it "bolts". I don't think I've actually seen it earlier in the season. So yeah, could be.

I'd guess cauliflower would be transplanted as seedlings to get more even spacing than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

It's brassicas all the way down.

Yeah horseradish too.

Tias posted:

Well in Denmark we grow a great deal of raps, the local european canola - but are we not too late in the year for it to be in the start of its life cycle?

Was going to ask - would probably need to be southern hemisphere to be canola.

Horseradish makes more sense to me - looks pretty similar leaf-wise to canola, and now might be more like harvest time.