Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bismuth posted:

If you live in the PNW there might be fucktons of oregon grape (Mahonia aquifolium) around, looks like a holly bush growing blueberries.

They are edible! They taste absolutely dreadful off the bush but they're kind of like cranberries, if you just add sugar you will unlock a secret delicious flavor. I like to make and can jam/jelly and syrup with them every year. Don't ignore this noble plant, the raw berries might make your face turn inside out but the cooked and sugared flavor is lovely.

Im not sure why they aren't farmed for food, they're easy to grow and can produce overwhelming volumes of berries

I’d guess because everyone at least near me just ends up seeing a half dozen varieties of raspberry or blackberry every time you go up a forest path. Salmon berries are always a fun one in the spring. A few weeks ago we went on a hike down a river and the path was nearly overgrown for half a mile with a raspberry that someone had planted decades ago. Maybe we just need to go further up into the mountains or at least up less travelled paths.

A few weeks before that and we did find some barely ripe blueberries on a different hike. I wish I were more confident in looking for mushrooms, but I’m going to keep myself just buying chanterelles this season. Maybe when I can learn from people who know more from me in the forest I’ll be more confident about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^^ That moss is awesome. About half of the yard I have now has moss under the grass, and one corner just doesn't even pretend it's not the dominant species on the ground. It's so wonderfully soft almost always.

I think the only thing I'd add to that is if you're planning on transplanting, you should know ahead of time if you'll be able to give it the conditions it'll need to grow. If you don't know, why not leave the plant and come back when you do? Unless it's a seed or a cutting, in which case you're not likely to cause harm to anything in trying. Just don't leave a hole in the ground for someone to turn their ankle.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Lead out in cuffs posted:

For what it's worth, nothing lives in 80-proof liquor (assuming that's what you were using). But I guess the nuts could have rotted before the ethanol had a chance to properly soak into them?

Is there a reason not to coarse chop/grind the nuts?

That only matters for microbes on the surface. If the nuts are already past their prime and rotting inside, no amount of alcohol will save them. It’s like taking an apple that’s rotting inside but doesn’t have a broken skin. By the time the skin breaks the fruit is already spoiled. With nuts you can solve for this by just tossing them in the oven and heating them above 160 for half an hour. That will kill almost all the microbes inside and shouldn’t toast them at all. Best solution for green fruit though is to be careful with selection and skip anything that looks, feels, or smells off.

Chopping the nuts smaller would get you a lower extraction time, but you’ll also have a shorter window before you get too much you wouldn’t want. So long as you don’t leave it and forget it you should be able to make something good. You might get some different flavor extraction from the shell being available differently, but you won’t know until you try.