Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Whaaat the hell. :smithfrog: RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think that they will recast, and I hope that they do as well. Boseman is irreplacable and eventually of course I would like to see Shuri take the mantle, but for now T'Challa's story is also honestly very important to a lot of people and I don't like the idea of just putting such a character back on the shelf offscreen and being like "Well that's done now."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There are thousands and tens of thousands of small children and young people out there who were deeply inspired by the heroic Black Panther and were looking to see him fight on. I personally don't believe it's any more disrespectful to Boseman's legacy to have this character -- his character -- survive him to go on and accomplish more.

Right now is, of course, not the right time to be making any decisions about that; everyone is feeling sad and dispirited and raw. But I put forth the bitter truth that the character of Black Panther has been around before Boseman and will be around after as well, just like Superman was around before Christopher Reeve, just like there will someday be another Iron Man or Captain America after Downey and Evans.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I feel like a lot of people here are vastly overestimating the extent to which the general moviegoing audience are clamoring to see Princess Shuri as the Black Panther, and underestimating the extent to which King T'Challa -- specifically T'Challa the character -- resonated with the many many fans of the film.

Shuri's a great fan-favorite, but she's never been the main character of the franchise. Even her being Black Panther in the comics was a temporary thing that eventually got walked back so T'Challa could do the thing again. The fact that the Black Panther is a title means about as much as the fact that Batman is a title; T'Challa is still the character who made the title what it was, and yeah it feels silly to cut his story short.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

My question I guess, is why would recasting the role be pretending it didn't happen or continuing as if nothing happened? Why must giving another actor the opportunity to continue Boseman's work be disrespectful to the man? I feel like we've somehow settled on this idea that having a different T'Challa must necessarily be an incredibly cruel thing to do in light of Boseman's death, but why is that the case?

(Also keeping in mind: it's not like the existing prospective female characters suddenly get cut from the franchise or something. They're all still exactly as important to the story as they were before now.)

More importantly...why should a real person's death be reflected in a fictional context? How does that honor him?

And I don't think there are any right answers to these questions right now. It's all just personal impulses.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Good. But also ugh, gently caress.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't think it's actually possible to describe through words or even brief clips how good of an actress Tatiana Maslany is.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

My theory is that Wanda's powers are either going to uncontrollably evolve into being more like the Reality Stone instead of the Mind Stone, or else they'll just retcon it so that her powers were actually always Reality Stone-based even though she was originally empowered by the Mind Stone, shh just don't think about it too much~

The part where she transfigures the furniture in the room into different styles is definitely straight up reality manipulation.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

The ones that were involved with the film all said the thing was "basically done", up to and including the director himself.
...Which ended up being a bald-faced lie, considering that the film is being worked on even now, four months after the announcement, up to and including outright shooting more scenes, and won't be finished until some indeterminate time next year. Yeah, "basically done."

e: oof, beaten

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nice! :buddy:

I hope they take a lot of inspo from Venditti's Hawkman run and from nowhere else whatsoever 'cuz that's the only awesome Hawkman run.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That's the thing with what The Question IRL was saying though, like...they (for expediency's sake let's say "they" are the studio in charge of these decisions) had absolutely every opportunity to make the better choices, and were given priceless second chances to correct mistakes they might've made before. They in fact outright did make some better choices and did correct some mistakes with the reboot narrative...and then for no discernible reason just flat-out walked back on the better choices that they were making, like "whoa there gently caress poo poo we're doing things a bit too right, better dial it back and redo the lovely things again!"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I agree that X2 did a pretty good job of setting up the Phoenix stuff. It was a part of Jean's own arc that tied a liiittle bit to the overall stuff, but didn't particularly intrude on anything else, and sets up something interesting to be paid off.

I would argue that even X-Men Apocalypse did the right amount of setup as far as Phoenix goes, but that movie has so many drawbacks that unfortunately the stuff it gets right gets forcibly drowned out.

The problem in both cases lie with the payoff, and the creative choices involved.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeeeea no, I don't know what you've been reading my guy, Hawkman and Hawkgirl are many things but they are not "rapey." Let's not call things that when they're...not that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I stand by calling Hawkman Rapey, as he pretty much just gaslights hawkgirl into a relationship and always shits on any relationships she already has when she shows up, and he's always the one to bring it up. Some lovely writer thought this was romantic and for some reason they keep doing it.
I'm just gonna say that this is not what either rape or gaslighting actually means -- and they also don't mean the same things as each other -- and it's annoying to see them used as big buzzwords like this to sound scary and serious, and leave it at that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I admit, I haven't read every Hawkman comic there is, but every time Carter shows up he goes to Hawkgirl and says "drop everything, you're coming with me, we're meant to be together" and she just kinda goes "I guess that's right? Time to drop my entire life because some random dude showed up and said we were meant to be together" and it always comes off super creepy and it utterly removes Hawkgirl's agency.

Exactly the kind of poo poo guys who have trouble with the concept of consent would think was romantic.
I know the Hawkpeople continuity is very very confusing but just about none of this happened.

In post-Crisis, Hawkgirl Shiera Hall's soul was reborn into Kendra Saunders, but without Shiera's memories. Carter Hall, on the other hand, was later reborn with all his memories. At first he was definitely very pushy and had trouble treating Kendra like Kendra instead of Shiera, which she hated, so she told him to back off. Which...he did. And when they eventually partnered up again, as friends and colleagues, it was under both their terms and after a lot of honest emotional growth. There's a lot about the relationship to dislike and it went through its share of unhealthy issues, but the Hawkman of those stories is like the opposite of some stubborn rear end in a top hat who keeps pressuring and wouldn't take no for an answer.

In the New 52 and Rebirth, Hawkman and Hawkgirl have barely interacted.

The recent Arrowverse version of the Hawks, who starred in the very worst season of Legends of Tomorrow, shares a lot of the comics' plotline but unfortunately without a lot of the nuance, so it does come across more one-sided; there's little discussion about how strange these new memories might be for Kendra, or establishing any boundaries that she might need. But even then, she and Carter were more like colleagues and he certainly never coerced her into a physical relationship. By the season's end, when they do end up together, she ended up being the instigator.

All of which is a lot of words to say Hawkman never tried to force Hawkgirl to be with him and even calling the relationship rapey is pure projection.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's just so dumb to see people say that Andrew Garfield wasn't like the comics Peter when he absolutely, perfectly, embodied the 80s, 90s, and 00s Peter Parker.

Your glasses are real rose-tinted if you think the snarkass trickster hero that went around punking friends and foes alike throughout the last few decades of publication was depicted through Tobey mumblewhisper Maguire or Tom "gee thank you Mr. Stark Sir! may I please have another Sir!" Holland

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Fair enough, I can understand if Garfield doesn't necessarily portray the Peter Parker that someone's envisioned, if people will also recognize that the guy from the comics they're envisioning pulls pranks on Johnny Storm, stands up to Wolverine on the regular, and can and will beat the actual poo poo out of Iron Man if pressed. Wanting him to be some nebbish shut-in or doe-eyed milksop is really bizarre.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean, I bitch and moan a lot, but I don't like ragging too hard on some of these older films because, for all that we can see very pronounced flaws in hindsight, we wouldn't have a lot of the films we have today without being able to learn from the mistakes that had been made.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The first two Spider-Man movies, for all their weirdnesses and faults that just get more cringey over time, have incredibly solid structure, pacing, build-up, payoff, and coherency. They hit that sweet spot of cinematically talking slowly enough that even little kids know exactly what's happening and why, but being so competent and charismatic about it that adults are also thoroughly invested in the events.

Again...they're not perfect. But they perfected this sense of cinematic coherency and competence in these heroic adventure films that subsequent films would -- for years afterwards -- be terrified of deviating from, and for good reason.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Now that the initial hype and curiosity about Snyder's cut is done, every new detail we learn about it seems to suggest it's going to be saddled with more of the same greasy edgelord accoutrements that made his original installments so obnoxious to experience. Which...I don't know why that surprises me, I guess.

Space_Butler posted:

He may as well but that's a far cry from years of him saying "I just want to release the movie that was made and ready to go. There's a whole cut done. Here's a picture as proof." Then shockingly it changed to needing to tweak and add stuff because what he showed WB executives was a bit rough and incomplete. Which is fine, but not what he asserted for years. His problem was not just saying "I turned in a cut, so there's a whole version of this movie, but it needed a lot of love" from the get-go. He convinced a ton of fans that this was a fully finished film in a vault that the big mean people at DC were just refusing to flip a switch and release.

The fact he's straight up adding things that weren't even part of the original project just emphasizes this. I'm not mad about it, as boring and pointless as Leto's Joker was, but it tracks with every half-truth we've been told since the beginning about this project. That's all.
Also this

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Definitely not! Those guys were minions, not any actual supervillain team-up.

Y'know what, I take back a bit of what I said, I wouldn't mind if Joker and some others showed up if it does tease at a Legion of Doom story.

It being the Leto Joker is still objectively pretty greasy, though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Inkoo Kang works for THR and wrote the Criterion essay for Parasite, an actual good movie.
Technically he didn't write the passage though, he's simply quoting some random gossip site. Tbh, the portion after the quoted passage is of more interest to me.

idk some columnist posted:

During that Recode interview, Greenblatt also said of the Snyder Cut, “It isn’t as easy as going into the vault and there’s a Snyder Cut sitting there to put out. […] It does not exist. Zack is actually building it…” For years, I said the Snyder Cut didn’t exist simply because Snyder did not get a chance to finish it before leaving the project for personal reasons. And for years, I got the most awful abuse for saying so. Wishes of bodily harm, death threats, rape threats, you name it, some Snyderbro spewed it, and not just at me. Anybody who dared wade into the Snyder Cut waters for years found themselves on the wrong end of cinema’s most toxic fanbase. Now, with all evidence pointing to the fact that Snyder did not, in fact, have a completed cut of his movie ready for release up to and including the chairman of the company paying for it admitting that “it does not exist”, not one person has offered an apology. I’m not looking for that apology and I don’t need it, but I will keep reminding everyone that the Snyder Cut is result of a toxic, abusive campaign and the worst fans in cinema getting what they want is probably going have to negative implications down the line. The return of the fourth best Joker is just the start.
:goleft::coffee:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

What do people actually mean by a villain team up movie? Something like suicide squad? The heroes Vs a bunch of returning villains all at once? Or a villain centred movie?
The second one is what I usually mean. Basically the Avengers or JLA but like...it's bad guys instead.

For instance, Guardians of the Galaxy, featuring the fourth worst Chris, is not a "team-up movie" by my infallible logic. X-Men is not a team-up movie. They're just movies that feature teams.

I might be persuaded to consider some of the Batman and Spider-Man films villain team-ups because there were several prominent villains in them who join forces to annoy the hero, but that's stretching it a bit. Feels like that's just a piecemeal definition of having a rogue's gallery at all.

But to torture the tenuous definition even further, I would probably consider a Sinister Six film, when it ever happens, to be a proper villain team-up. Why?...I dunno, the scope of it is just bigger I guess.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 23, 2020

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean...either way, just because it hasn't been done before isn't a reason not to try, particularly if the concept is cool and interesting enough.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Okay I was being a little glib earlier, but the concept really is not hard to understand and y'all are completely overthinking this in really weird ways.

A story where a lot of big-name, prominent, recognizable, high-tier villains come together to form a far more dangerous threat than any that the heroes have faced before is simply going to have a different, bigger impact than a team of D-list minions doing D-list minion things. Especially if these characters usually come from different series or franchises that don't usually get the chance to interact. Dr. Doom joining forces with Magneto and Kang the Conqueror is going to be a bigger deal and a cooler story than...hold on yo I have to look up their names...Corvus Glaive and Ebony Maw doing whatever they do. It just is.

It's literally just, take the concept of the Avengers or Justice League but with bad guys. Where did we lose y'all?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

All that these tidbits really boil down to is "make a good film." I know for a fact that there were people who were saying at the time that an idea like Guardians of the Galaxy, starring the worst Chris, would never work. Hell, I'm sure there were people who were certain, once upon a time, that the Avengers as a concept would never work.

I mean, the alternative is that we just keep on doing...the exact same sorts of villain beats that we've always been doing, give or take some variations on a theme. Where's the value in that? Why not utilize the tools at your disposal to try interesting things?

And besides, there's no guarantee that a film is good just because it stuck with the same old one-on-one solo villain dynamic, which is why I mentioned that it's weird to overthink something like this. "But what if it's bad?" Well, the general hope is that any film we want to see made would be handled with skill and care, no matter how challenging the premise might be.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 24, 2020

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Only information coming from Supreme Leader is true. Everything else is compromised, nothing else is to be trusted.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, I did it.

Due to the unspeakable popular demand that totally exists, I made a video essay about everyone's favorite movie, Man of Steel. Specifically about Pa Kent, my favorite character! I mean there's a bunch of stuff dissecting superhero mentor tropes but we all know what the people really want. Yes, it's 45 minutes. Yes, it's all downhill from there.

I would like to sincerely thank everyone here, because this is absolutely all your fault. Special shout-out to A loving Pandemic, which gave me the free time to do anything like this. <3

Hopefully there will be more, everyone said! In fact, next one will probably be about Doctor Strange.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Haven't seen New Mutants but Cecilia does have force field powers. Though yes, it's usually overshadowed by her doctorness.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Clicked through and liked for goon solidarity
:patriot:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh definitely, I had no idea how voiceover stuff had to be done, which is pretty embarrassing in retrospect. Apparently it's not quite as easy as "talk into your phone, put it into an app, profit." The next video will have much better sound editing along with actual pop filters and so forth.

And thanks!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Haven't you always wanted to put a hacked USB into a computer but from very far away?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

He still has to, well, actually be an engaging antagonist when all is said and done but yeah let's be real that the design is leagues better than it used to be.

heh. leagues

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hmm. I kinda wish they had just delayed it to next summer but oh well. At least we'll finally see it. :munch:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Having to travel back in time twice to prevent two different disasters seems a pretty silly. It makes it seem like these people just cannot do their jobs right.

(Yes, that's the part I'm having problems with. :colbert:)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

If I had total control of the production I would probably try to get John Boyega.

e: Let me clarify -- I mean that Disney should crawl on their knees and grovel to him for a chance to save face.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 21, 2020

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

theironjef posted:

Maybe they'll pull the other Leia trick. After all, Boseman was in four movies as T'Challa, there might be enough footage to just build around unused shots of him with some creative ADR and writing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

A scene that doesn't get mentioned too often but really stood out to me in rewatches is the final conversation between Clark and Swanwick, which begins with Clark fuckin throwing a giant hunk of metal at two people which misses them by a handful of yards. They...literally could have died? On the one hand, sure, yaas Antifa King! Stick it to The Man!...? On the other hand though...it's such a bizarrely aggressive, threatening gesture towards people whom you're ostensibly trying to get to trust you. All for the crime of not wanting to get killed by more aliens I guess.

It further illustrates the only method by which Snyder can envision his characters interacting with others: through shows of force, shows of violence and intimidation from scowling musclemen who don't speak or understand any language other than fear and animosity.

And yes, it gets to the point of making him a completely unsympathetic character, capping off in the entire Batman confrontation where even the most stubborn of men ought to be begging on his knees for help to save his mother but I suppose this one in particular would, like, literally just die if he showed any emotion beyond than anger and machismo to anyone.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 24, 2020

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

When you've made deliberate choices to render a character less appealing, you don't then get to wonder and whinge when people find the character unappealing.

I've said this before about writers like Tom King, and in regards to things like The Last Jedi and what have you: There's such a thing as writing about an imperfect hero and the conflicts that they face. And then, there's also such a thing as actively disempowering these characters -- not just depowering, but disempowering -- to whatever degree in order for them to fail in these conflicts, just so that you can then tell the story about them failing.

But ultimately, you've told me nothing interesting about the actual character as they stand, and only about your grim, curious desire to see the character fail, along with your propensity to write the character in such a way that they must fail.

This...disempowerment, this grimness, this failure, whatever we want to call it...it's not baked into the character by any means. It's a deliberate deviation. Snyder made an intentional choice to have this character be less inspiring, less proactive, less than what he was in such a way that all but drips with condescension towards the original figure and their fans, and I suppose he now gets to huff and declare "No you don't get it, the fact that you don't like him is the whole point!" when they don't like him.

Really, it always seems like the exact specific things people don't like about Snyder end up being "the point" somehow, thereby rendering those things above reproach through some tenth dimensional logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

For all that something like -- sigh -- Infinite Crisis was a big loving hot mess in retrospect, I always look back on its overall depiction of the conflict between Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman as an interesting portrayal of these characters and their characterizations.

There are certainly decent, justifiable reasons for Superman to...if not outright kill people himself...at least be okay with another hero who does, when there is no other choice and lives are on the line. And yet, Superman definitely has his own reasons why he can never be okay with that, and some of those reasons can be steeped in rationality and practicality, but others might just flat out be his own personal stubborn bullheaded refusal to be okay with that and that's completely fine.

At the end of the day, it's simply interesting to have a character who has certain prohibitions. It's interesting to have a character who will absolutely just refuse to do a certain thing, and likewise who will absolutely always do other things, and it's interesting to see where those lines bend and break. It's through this process that you establish character.

There's a lot of problems with Zod's death that's been discussed ad nausaeum, and one of those problems is that it doesn't establish...anything! We never establish how Superman feels about taking a life, fifteen minutes earlier he was fully complicit and even instrumental in establishing a plan to kill the rest of the Kryptonians via crushing singularity, he screams after he kills Zod and then nothing is ever mentioned of it again. Does he regret it? Would he do it again in the future if pressed? Who loving knows! It's a mystery ;) !

Meanwhile, Batman kills people in the sequel, evidently to show how far he's sunken as a man and a hero, but then he's still killing people at the warehouse after he comes to terms with Superman, sooo??.......?...??.....??...what was the takeaway here? What difference is there between sunken Batman and heroic Batman? Is he just gonna keep on killing people during his fights forever, now?

There's no establishment of character here. And in its absence, the deliberate choice to have these characters kill doesn't come across as an interesting examination of their prohibitions and limits, but more like Snyder thinks superheroes who don't kill aren't mature and gritty enough for his mature gritty stories. This ain't your granddaddy's Superman! etc etc yada.