Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They officially changed The Eternals to just Eternals. Op is already out of date Mac, you absolute buffoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If they recast him, I feel really bad for whoever gets that role. Everyone is going to dislike them at first, it's a no win

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 30, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ryan Coogler posted:

Ryan Coogler on Chadwick Boseman:
I inherited Marvel and the Russo Brothers’ casting choice of T’Challa. It is something that I will forever be grateful for. The first time I saw Chad’s performance as T’Challa, it was in an unfinished cut of CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR. I was deciding whether or not directing BLACK PANTHER was the right choice for me. I’ll never forget, sitting in an editorial suite on the Disney Lot and watching his scenes. His first with Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, then, with the South African cinema titan, John Kani as T’Challa’s father, King T’Chaka. It was at that moment I knew I wanted to make this movie. After Scarlett’s character leaves them, Chad and John began conversing in a language I had never heard before. It sounded familiar, full of the same clicks and smacks that young black children would make in the States. The same clicks that we would often be chided for being disrespectful or improper. But, it had a musicality to it that felt ancient, powerful, and African.
In my meeting after watching the film, I asked Nate Moore, one of the producers of the film, about the language. “Did you guys make it up?” Nate replied, “that’s Xhosa, John Kani’s native language. He and Chad decided to do the scene like that on set, and we rolled with it.” I thought to myself. “He just learned lines in another language, that day?” I couldn’t conceive how difficult that must have been, and even though I hadn’t met Chad, I was already in awe of his capacity as actor.
I learned later that there was much conversation over how T’Challa would sound in the film. The decision to have Xhosa be the official language of Wakanda was solidified by Chad, a native of South Carolina, because he was able to learn his lines in Xhosa, there on the spot. He also advocated for his character to speak with an African accent, so that he could present T’Challa to audiences as an African king, whose dialect had not been conquered by the West.
I finally met Chad in person in early 2016, once I signed onto the film. He snuck past journalists that were congregated for a press junket I was doing for CREED, and met with me in the green room. We talked about our lives, my time playing football in college, and his time at Howard studying to be a director, about our collective vision for T’Challa and Wakanda. We spoke about the irony of how his former Howard classmate Ta-Nehisi Coates was writing T’Challa’s current arc with Marvel Comics. And how Chad knew Howard student Prince Jones, who’s murder by a police officer inspired Coates’ memoir Between The World and Me.
I noticed then that Chad was an anomaly. He was calm. Assured. Constantly studying. But also kind, comforting, had the warmest laugh in the world, and eyes that seen much beyond his years, but could still sparkle like a child seeing something for the first time.
That was the first of many conversations. He was a special person. We would often speak about heritage and what it means to be African. When preparing for the film, he would ponder every decision, every choice, not just for how it would reflect on himself, but how those choices could reverberate. “They not ready for this, what we are doing…” “This is Star Wars, this is Lord of the Rings, but for us… and bigger!” He would say this to me while we were struggling to finish a dramatic scene, stretching into double overtime. Or while he was covered in body paint, doing his own stunts. Or crashing into frigid water, and foam landing pads. I would nod and smile, but I didn’t believe him. I had no idea if the film would work. I wasn’t sure I knew what I was doing. But I look back and realize that Chad knew something we all didn’t. He was playing the long game. All while putting in the work. And work he did.
He would come to auditions for supporting roles, which is not common for lead actors in big budget movies. He was there for several M’Baku auditions. In Winston Duke’s, he turned a chemistry read into a wrestling match. Winston broke his bracelet. In Letitia Wright’s audition for Shuri, she pierced his royal poise with her signature humor, and would bring about a smile to T’Challa’s face that was 100% Chad.
While filming the movie, we would meet at the office or at my rental home in Atlanta, to discuss lines and different ways to add depth to each scene. We talked costumes, military practices. He said to me “Wakandans have to dance during the coronations. If they just stand there with spears, what separates them from Romans?” In early drafts of the script. Eric Killmonger’s character would ask T’Challa to be buried in Wakanda. Chad challenged that and asked, what if Killmonger asked to be buried somewhere else?
Chad deeply valued his privacy, and I wasn’t privy to the details of his illness. After his family released their statement, I realized that he was living with his illness the entire time I knew him. Because he was a caretaker, a leader, and a man of faith, dignity and pride, he shielded his collaborators from his suffering. He lived a beautiful life. And he made great art. Day after day, year after year. That was who he was. He was an epic firework display. I will tell stories about being there for some of the brilliant sparks till the end of my days. What an incredible mark he’s left for us.
I haven’t grieved a loss this acute before. I spent the last year preparing, imagining and writing words for him to say, that we weren’t destined to see. It leaves me broken knowing that I won’t be able to watch another close-up of him in the monitor again or walk up to him and ask for another take.
It hurts more to know that we can’t have another conversation, or facetime, or text message exchange. He would send vegetarian recipes and eating regimens for my family and me to follow during the pandemic. He would check in on me and my loved ones, even as he dealt with the scourge of cancer.
In African cultures we often refer to loved ones that have passed on as ancestors. Sometimes you are genetically related. Sometimes you are not. I had the privilege of directing scenes of Chad’s character, T’Challa, communicating with the ancestors of Wakanda. We were in Atlanta, in an abandoned warehouse, with bluescreens, and massive movie lights, but Chad’s performance made it feel real. I think it was because from the time that I met him, the ancestors spoke through him. It’s no secret to me now how he was able to skillfully portray some of our most notable ones. I had no doubt that he would live on and continue to bless us with more. But it is with a heavy heart and a sense of deep gratitude to have ever been in his presence, that I have to reckon with the fact that Chad is an ancestor now. And I know that he will watch over us, until we meet again.

Christ, Coogler had no idea. Boseman was tough as hell.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rewatching The Avengers, and man Thanos' involvement makes less sense here than in Ultron.
He hands Loki the mind stone and sends him to invade earth to take the tesseract (presumably he also knows the time stone is there), but the entire plot is based around Loki powering the tesseract up enough to pull the Chitauri army through, and there's just no reason to believe he can't just roll up and do it himself anyways. Space travel in the later movies shows it to be nothing, and even if it took him a while he's not really in a rush at any point anyways.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Karloff posted:

I think retroactively you can assume Thanos wanted Earth invaded so he could wipe out half the population manually like he did with Gamora's planet. If the Avengers had lost, Loki would be king and Thanos would let him be so long as Loki was happy to arrange the mass executions of half of the humans of Earth. I'm not sure it is clear when Thanos really started going after the stones proper but my head canon is that he probably considered it perhaps never happening, so was happy to do the culling with executions as much as possible on certain planets. My read on Thanos is that he's a psychopath who gets off on murder but likes to wrap it up in philosophical justifications, bit like Jigsaw in Saw.

See that I get, the issue is that there's this whole complicated plot to get there when he could have just headed over

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Yeah I think in Black Panther Ross has some dialogue that suggests they know it was there, but that they'd been assured it was all gone now.

Rewatching it now and he straight up accuses Klaue of stealing "all of it".

Also I hope they somehow do BP2 as a prequel, because Sirkis is just absolutely delightful in this, and Sterling K. Brown is great with what he has but he's pretty wasted on a 2 min role.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 31, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Imagine you get a big break out role as a lead in a new marvel movie, but then they do a cancer screening and that's how you find out you have terminal cancer.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wouldn't complain if Warner just handed the DCU over to Gunn.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Good, he's been kicking rear end on Lovecraft country and I've been hoping to see him in more stuff.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Ant Man is going to be held responsible for the time heist.

Yeah that's the angle they go with I figure. All the time fuckery starts with Scott

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm sure they'll simplify Lang's origins but u wouldn't be super surprised if they changed his identity to be someone tied more directly to existing characters. Or hell, that'd be a good way to bring in the FF

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wouldn't even mind the premier access route if they weren't charging thirty five loving dollars. $15 seems fair, $20 is pushing it but I'd probably do it for an mcu movie at least.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

Didn't know transphobia was a physical response to brain damage

There's actually an unusual correlation between brain damage and being a chud

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If they do the blood angle maybe they'll bring Tim Blake Nelson back. A man can dream

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah Hollywood would never cast someone in their 30s as a high schooler or anything

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

One thing Marvel would do is not pussy foot around the Phoenix being a giant space firebird, that's what has really lacked so far

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Given that they got mutants back and immediately stopped caring about the Inhumans I assume they're going to change Kamala's origin around a lot. Probably won't turn her into a mutant or anything but I'd be surprised to see terrigenesis

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's no source on that article and marvel wouldn't comment, sounds unlikely

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hulk Smash! posted:

Does anyone have that lol list of "hip young things" that Peter could do in the Amazing movies that some exec came up with? I think it had something like "can we have him be into skateboarding?"

“A coked up Sony exec” posted:

Spidey thought

Hey Amy - just a couple of rando thoughts from 35,000 LAX-JFK:

- A rising trend we see with Millennials are the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism etc. Millennials will often post “N.B.D.” on their social media after doing it , as in No Big Deal, also known as the “humble brag”…..wondering if Spidey could get into that in some way….he’s super athletic, bendy, strong, intense….and it’s all NBD to him, of course.

- EDM (electronic dance music) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there’s an EDM angle somewhere with Spidey? His movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer DJ behind it

- Snapchat just launched a “story” functionality, which is sort of “day in the life of me” told in a series of snapchats that expire after 24 hours. It has a very VIP quality about it, since invitation only. Getting invited into Spidey’s Snapchat circle would be huge, and very buzzworthy and cool.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

theironjef posted:

When that stinger scene dropped all I could think of was the battle in Endgame where the moment he arrives he just pops his mask off in front of two armies. Like yeah you're probably not gonna get sold out by a Ravager, Wakandan, or spare wizard, but it's not like that fight happened indoors or something, any number of civilians could have been drawn to the sound of fighting and spaceships and junk.

The avengers base is out in the middle of nowhere, but even then it’d be more like that JLU Scene where Lex is in Flash’s body, nobody is going to have any idea who he is

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I still what things would be like if this had all happened a year earlier and delayed Endgame. I can't see them pushing it back but I also can't see them dropping it on streaming and losing out on billions.
I feel like Disney would have just funded a vaccine or something

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Based on the casting so far it's safe to say there will be some multiverse stuff going on so it's not super out there, but it's a lot more likely that they'd have 2 second cameos than having this be an actual spider verse thing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's definitely going to be that stinger where Lex talks to Slade about teaming up, I'll bet money it cuts to Leto after and he goes "Sounds fun!" or something.

At least I hope that's all it is, god I don't want more Leto joker.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’m not a Snyder fan but if he goes Col. Kurtz and disappears into the jungle with his crew to make his billion dollar movie I can at least respect that

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh perfect I really missed the aesthetic from Michael Bay's Transformers movies

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wonder how that'll work in Canada since we don't have HBOmax. Hopefully it'll be on something I already get

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just have a stunt guy with the mask on if a send off is all you're doing

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looper is the best way to do it

quote:

I don't want to talk about time travel because if we start talking about it then we're going to be here all day talking about it, making diagrams with straws.
just outright dismissing it and discouraging people from thinking about it too hard in service of the story. If you're actually time travelling in real life then yes it's important to know the mechanics, but in a movie who cares, let's just watch the robot man punch the space tyrant.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

I exist at all times at once, thus I am experiencing every bad post you have made, and every bad post you will make simultaneously

It’s November 21st. I’m reading shitposts.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

Did anyone tell them we don't even have open theaters here?

...Actually I bet Alberta does.

They're open in BC. I don't think anyone is going but by God they're open

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Imagine spending $150 to watch the croods 2 and like 3 of your friends die as a result

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It’s fine for a kids movie, not the best thing ever put on film but not Mars Needs Moms either. It’s definitely not something that I’d pay $150 to see a sequel too though

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Whoever said it was boring nailed it. Superman is supposed to be the best of us and do the things no one else can do. Him punching the bad guys and then snapping Zod’s neck is a weak cop out and just the least interesting resolution.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Go back in time to April 2019, catch yourself as you leave Endgame. Tell yourself "the best superhero film of 2020 will be a tie between Bloodshot and The New Mutants". Then laugh and disappear as your previous self processes that sentence.

gently caress it, I'm counting Sonic

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wonder if Turn Of the Dark will ever get the Hamilton treatment and show up in Disney+. Or if everyone involved is just going to wisely bury it forever

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Renner posted a set pic the other day so it's apparently still moving. With him, even

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

Personally I think it's good when people can wear more than one outfit and it's weird how heroes are only ever allowed to wear one thing forever and ever

Can’t sell new toys unless you change the costume up

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I would really rather watch big stuff like MCU movies in theaters, you just can't beat that experience, but I'll also sign up Day 1 if they release hbo max in Canada instead.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's still super likely that these are 2 second cameos but it's still an exciting time. How close does this come out to Spider-Verse 2? I wonder if they'll tie that in somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I heard it was Sinbad