Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1328750606962499584

Does anyone else look at this picture and go "Oh poo poo, he stole Stryfe's armor!" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wonder if any of this has to do with making Maxwell Lord vaguely Trumpy, what with him (assuming any semblance of legal cohesion and societal integrity) finally getting the boot before the movie would've been in theaters

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think the problem with BVS is that the only person who seems both competent and likable is Diana (which is probably a testament to the small amount of screen time she has more than anything else) so even though Batman is acting like a crazy paranoid dickweed, Superman is all looming dour looks and angry heat vision eyes making it hard to give a hoot about either one of them being in the right from a plot perspective

David D. Davidson posted:

You know reading this makes the Justice League sound incompetent.

Superheroes? Incompetent?? In a Zack Snyder Movie???

Obvious jokes aside, this premise sounds like another case of one of Man of Steel's problems where they take for granted that we're supposed to give a poo poo about what's happening because it involves nearly 100 year old licensed characters instead of actually doing any work to make people give a poo poo in the context of the actual movie

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There's been a handful of societal level "What if superheroes?" kind of stories, occasionally even from the big two in the form of minor plot threads and one-off and/or AU stories, but the ones I've always tend to turn into an actual superhero comics story instead of an exploration of the hypothetical affects on a world that the concept of superheroes would have. Kingdom Come and Marvels come to mind, along with the alternate historical path that the world ends up taking in Zdarsky's Spider-Man: Life Story where the cold war escalates because of Iron Man basically being an agent of the US government and Captain America goes AWOL in Nam to fight atrocities regardless of which side is comitting them.

I personally would like a slightly more dry, big ideas, faux-documentary, alternate historical take on the subject that doesn't quite just turn into a regular rear end superhero comic by the end. But then again I'm a weirdo, so I don't know how well that kind of thing would sell.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
While I can understand the annoyance people have with Iron Man being a mentor for Spidey, the whole point of the Holland movies is that he's part of the bigger Marvel Universe, and Cap spends the entire time Peter is Avengers-affiliated as a fugitive.

Also, if all these rumors pan out to be true, I'll genuinely be surprised if Spider-Verse Miles and Gwen don't show up in some form or another, even if it's just a mid-credits cameo to hype Spider-Verse 2

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
what exactly makes people think john cena is capable of projecting the kind of wounded palooka energy that defines the ever loving blue eyed Thing?

that's some "Triple H should be Thor because he has long hair and a hammer sometimes" level casting

he would make an okay Johnny Storm if he was around 20 years younger, maybe

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
maybe the second act of Iron Man 1 is questionable from a sociopolitical standpoint, but the third act just plain stinks and is boring, which is why Iron Man 3 is the best one

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Looks like WB has moved on from "gently caress Batman" to Batman: "gently caress"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Fangz posted:

I do think it's significant that the MCU as a whole entirely rejects the idea of religion/clash of cultures as an explanatory factor for terrorism though. Its lens on middle east people is really at worst paternalistic, not xenophobic. No *external* force "hates America for its freedoms", only the internal fascist conspiracy.

The military aspect of Iron Man is both a part of his aesthetic and ethos, but it's also something the character doesn't want to engage with that much, because down that way lies the kind of complicated no-easy-answers storytelling that is essentially anathema to superheroes. The same reason Captain America will tell authoritarian commanding officers to gently caress off all day long, but he's never going to smash through the front door of the White House and clobber a bunch of secret service agents on his way to take down the president, unless the president is Red Skull in disguise or something. Even in the original Secret Empire, the ending is almost explicitly designed to avoid having to put Cap in a position where he has to beat the piss out of the president for some evil poo poo that he done.

Basically, they want to have their cake and eat it too. And as long as they're smart about it, they can get away with it to some degree. But how smart they are being about it (and subsequently how good a job they're doing with getting away with it) is subjective.

...Now conversely, I have no idea why the hell Superman was loving around with terrorists at the beginning of BVS

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Aphrodite posted:

Hawkeye has always been considered a punchline, even when depicted as competent.

Like Aquaman.

It wasn't like Fraction just invented that entire thing.

I like to think of classic Hawkeye as "Wolverine, except not unkillable, and written by writers with less skill". Although to be honest, he's less like comics Wolverine and more exaggerated adaption "YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!" Wolverine

anyway the best version of the character is in EMH because he's both the sassiest avenger and the most frequently dunked on avenger

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I read that post out of the corner of my eye at first so I was really disappointed to discover that it is not, in fact, a Kate Beaton Batman movie

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The amazing thing about Batman Beyond is how it's origin story just the DCAU team figuring out how to make diamonds from coal with the mandate of the network being "Make it like Pokemon and Power Rangers"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The thing I don't get about turning JJJ into an Alex Jones type is that he's supposed to be Peter's pain in the rear end boss who ultimately has a heart of gold, even if he hates Spider-Man. So he should probably be penny-pinching administrator at whatever school Peter ends up teaching at, or a federal regulator who shows up to ruin Parker Industries for their flagrant violations of safety protocols, or something.

The other thing is how the types of figures that modern JJJ tends to parody would sell their grandma for a wood nickel. That's not "rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold" material.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Lurdiak posted:

William Randolph Heart(who Jameson is directly based off of) and his imitators did even more damage than any modern pundit is doing currently, it's just that that was in the past so it's easy for us to romanticize or minimize the effects of.

Didn't Stan say that JJJ was his evil in-comics avatar (which goes a bit of the ways to explaining JJJ's glory hound nature) or was that something someone who took over the book after he left played around with?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The thing is, Walker isn't quite a full blown bad guy even at his worst, just kinda lovely. I imagine as far as the show goes, at worst he will get dunked on and not get a redemption moment, but him chipping in to help save the day at the last second to prove he's not completely worthless is probably more likely.

Hell Silver Age Wally West is more of a right wing rear end in a top hat

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I like Deadpool better because it was one good Deadpool movie, as opposed to being like 3 different movies that are all kinda good but don't really mesh together particularly well

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Phylodox posted:

I cannot disagree more. Unless you think Zack Snyder literally believes in eugenics and fascism, you have to assume 300 is meant to be satire in the vein of Starship Troopers. It absolutely don’t think it works as that, though, lacking any of Verhoeven’s subversive elements. Zack Snyder tried to make a film satirizing propaganda and ended up just making straight up propaganda.

I think that’s a problem a lot of people have with his movies. Zack Snyder knows what Zack Snyder is trying to say with his movies, but he gets so involved in the spectacle that the message frequently becomes either muddled or completely lost.

I only know what I do about Zack Snyder from his bits of presss and his movies, but nothing short of him coming up to me in person and swearing on a copy of Atlas Shrugged would convince me that it's anything other than a really surface level read on Miller's comic about how cool it is to be a bad rear end white soldier dude who doesn't take any poo poo or abide any pussy diplomacy, getting to kill some freaky brown queer weirdos from nutsoland until some freakazoid fucker who's probably jealous of how sweet ripped you are commits a treason (THE worst crime) and forces you to make a heroic sacrifice but it's okay because you'll take out a couple of thousand of the scum on your way down so you can save blessed Western civilization from those savage oriental maniacs

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

When I think about classic barrel chest bronze age soviet machismo Kraven, or the modern self aware version of that guy like in Squirrel Girl, I don't know how this works

When I think about kind of haunted, crazy Kraven with half a death wish, the logical progression from Last Hunt and the one that showed up in the Gauntlet, and then juxtapose him with like the villain from Man of Tai Chi, I think it might work

"You owe me a life"

I don't know how serious I'll be able to take it, but it will be fun as I personally understand the word

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Spider-man is the one character who legitimately should never kill, not even a weird monster(unless he's the Toku version).

It's ok if he tries and fails to kill and feels like poo poo about it though.

Does Spider-Man's "most everyman" superhero status mean he should never kill because most people will never kill...

Or does it mean he should probably kill, albeit not intentionally, because if an everyman was a superhero (and not a competence god like Batman or an ability god like Superman) they're bound to kill someone on accident?

(i really like the arc in daredevil where they talk about this)

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 18, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Jennifer Lawrence as Sue seems like one of those "Who's a famous person in the zeitgeist who vaguely matches this character's surface level characteristics?" type of casting, like Terry Crews as Luke Cage, or Tom Cruise as Cyclops

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

CapnAndy posted:

I really liked MK10's new generation characters, they were fun and had good chemistry and the new status quo was cool. So it was a bit of a bummer for MK11 to go "wait no, focus back on all the old dudes and also timeline reset".

They could've had Scorpion and Sub-Zero pass the mantles down to their most promising students, y'know? "Scorpion and Sub-Zero, but this time they're ninja buddies and government operatives who fight crime" writes itself!

This is just an inherent problem with fighting games as they've evolved. You can staple new stuff on and tweak the old stuff but god forbid you change or remove too much. Or at least, that's the impression the internet mob gives you--it's hard to tell how it would actually translate to sales because mouthy fanboys are euphemistically holding dev studios hostage

I guess what I'm saying is that Smash Bros. needs to undergo the equivalent of Crisis on Infinite Earths until some snot nosed Geoff Johnsy game developer comes to prominence 20 years later and adds Roy back in despite there being another 10 new Fire Emblem characters who have been incorporated since

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1364662662727098369

This could go either way for me. You don't necessarily need blood and guts and cussing for a good vampire action movie, but without them my brain starts conjuring up images of Hugh Jackman Van Helsing and that bad Universal Dracula movie from 2014

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

John Wick of Dogs posted:

One of the most beloved vampire properties of all time was completely tv-14, they just had the vampires turn to dust instantly when beheaded. There's nothing inherently R rated about a vampire hunting superhero.

didn't that show have on-camera, but clothed, sex scenes?

man they oughta do content labels instead of age guidelines

Also, and there's no guarantee that Ali's Blade is going to have the same trenchcoat spree killer (but it's okay because they're evil vampires) aesthetic as Snipes Blade, but without that... what do you really have, stylistically? The Daywalker thing is a good narrative beat but it doesn't really define how the character looks and acts.

To me this is probably the most interesting question about an in-dev Marvel movie after the "What are they gonna do about mutants?" and "What's the plan for Black Panther 2?"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Sentinel Red posted:

Oh no, the worst thing ever is reading claims WB started making an MK Ultra Girls show and had half a season in the can before getting cold feet, thus cruelly denying us all Cassie, Jacqui and Frost going to Outland High, and lovable scamp Mileena pranking her stuck up sister every chance she gets while wine mom Sindel laughs.

Sure, it must be a hoax or marketing gag (as if Frost is ever getting a spotlight) but then again, some coked up execs were going to make an Aliens cartoon at one point so maybe, just maybe...

I'm pretty sure that the tell there is a kids show being named after a CIA program where a bunch of people got dosed on mind altering drugs against their will.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'd really like to see Holland stick around and go onto become a new central Avengers guy because then at least one Peter Parker would have some upward mobility that is likely to stick instead of being unceremoniously ripped away by Dr. Octopus or the devil or whatever

And then they can add Miles to the MCU, allowing all those people who were complaining about Spider-man having Iron Man as a role model to unclench, because Spider-Man will have Spider-Man as a role model.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's always struck me weird how much 90s comics DNA is in Mortal Kombat when the first batch of games were made using digitized scans of films instead of drawrings

MK's proximity to DC almost feels like an inevitability at this point

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's kind of weird that his moniiker is the Demon's Head but his motif is a jackal

Jackal ain't no demon

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I have to be honest, at this point even if a number of people I have strong faith in say it's good, I'm kind of unlikely to watch the Snyder cut for two reasons

1) I dislike MOTS, BVS, and the Whedon cut(and Suicide Squad, which I'll admit is just me being unfair) in that way where I'd just as much never watch anything tangentially related to them again. I'd watch any given Resident Evil movie a second time before any of those. My ambivalence about these incarnations of these characters is so pronounced it cancels out the 30-some odd years I've spent liking them in other media formats

2) It's loving four hours long dude

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My main concern with Shang Chi is...

What's the best PG-13 martial arts movie? Even the most comedic of Jackie Chan's good stuff has an R-Rating, for some reason. When I think of PG-13 martial arts I think of bad post-Matrix movies, the suit actors in the first TMNT movie doing their damndest to sell fight scenes while covered in heavy rubber, and... well, Marvel movies, where the action is generally good but never quite ambitious in the choreography sense

Granted, it's Disney, so they can probably slap the MPAA around if they don't play ball (I think Tarantino got Iron Monkey's theatrical release a PG-13), but still. Grounds for concern from where I stand.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm not a huge fan of any of the live action Batmen, but I do appreciate how Keaton manages to get across how

weird

Bruce would be, in a way that the other movies don't really touch on or realize. No one who is that driven/obsessed, in that kind of freaky way, would be normal (even if they could fake it convincingly)

I think the animated series does a good job of demonstrating this with how awkward he is around his friends and family, with the grim outcome of that being how he ends up alone as an old rear end man in a big rear end mansion

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It amazes me how people seem to take efforts to add texture to bad guys motivations as excusing their actions, as opposed to the read that I believe is intended which is "...but they're still evil bastards who need to go down."

There are a lot of things that can be explained as rational or partially forgiven on the basis of motivation, but genocide is probably at the top of the list of things that can't

If anything giving evil bastards of this caliber well-intentioned motivations is a way of going "We should probably address these problems so that another loving lunatic doesn't come along and try to do it in the worst way possible"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Since it's come up, and I've been poking around in the classic run, I've been wondering: is Suicide Squad the first comic to really do the "superhero antics as paramilitary ops" angle that has since become so commonplace?

I think about the way the old timey Avengers, X-Men, or Justice League tended to operate and it was... not like that.

There's a little bit of that vibe in DKR, but in Ostrander's take on it is a lot more comprehensive and coherent by comparison. If that is the case, that probably makes it one of the most influential comics of the past 40 years, right?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I liked Gods and Monsters because it was grimdark AU without the usual "what if the characters you know but EDGY" since it stuck existing (and already semi-edgy) characters and put them into different roles, instead

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If we're speculating which Marvel characters Snyder would be best suited to

-He treats the characters like larger than life mythic figures who struggle to relate to normal folks
-He has a penchant for mega-scale battles
-He's not a huge fan of color
-He's pretty good at making things look a certain way, not so good with narrative complexities

It seems like the answer is obvious

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I watched Godzilla VS Kong and I would describe it as about 120 minutes of atrociously stupid crap capped off with a good 30 minute colossal sized slobberknocker

I still like it better than Godzilla 2014, probably because it took itself less seriously.

Lurdiak posted:

Liking movies that don't suck and have a visual language is cringe and fash-adjacent.

there's a joke that can be made here about Birth of a Nation but I lack the filmic background to put it together

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
i thought about which human characters in GVSK felt necessary and it basically boiled down to the wee lass who is BFFs with Kong and the evil bastard who gets hoisted by his own pitard at the end. I'm not sure that anyone else really needs to have a name, or be around consistently.

Dunno what drives filmmakers to create movies like this, where the good part is so distinct and obvious but they feel the need to bolt on a bunch of dumb poo poo because... I dunno, out of date focus testing data? Trying to include a character intended to appeal to every theoretical demographic? That's what the script's writers learned in Screenplays 101?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I am kinda uncomfortable with defending them, but it feels kind of like Sony is in a can't-please-them-all scenario with new live action Spider-Man movies. Make classic adventure styles and people will decry them as being rehashy, lean into the bigger universe and people will complain about them being unfocused and not Spidery enough; keep Peter around and everyone will ask where every other spider character is, bring in Miles and people will STILL ask that, plus ask why they're trying to steal Spider-Verse's thunder...

They're basically in the same position that the live action Batman people are in, except with a far better success/failure ratio, from where I stand. Probably just better to find someone with a passionate vision for the characters and let them do whatever they want (like Spider-Verse); but then again, these are live action superhero movies with a Marvel brand on them....

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

site posted:

Afaik shang chi is just really loving good at kicking people's asses
They made him into a multiple man at some point, didn't they?

Trailer looks good. I've never been a big fan of Shang Chi in the comics, but the concept has potential that the trailer seems to be digging into well

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
has it always been canon that scorpion and sub zero I are like six hundred years old or whatever

because i gotta say, if you don't get revenge in those first two hundred years, i'm not sure what you're expecting to change in the next two hundred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

X-O posted:

Does Street Fighter also have an insane story too? And why is that it's only on #5 when #2 came out when I was like 7 years old? Mortal Kombat seems to be churning out faster if it's on #11 and has had a bunch of side games.

Any fighting game that tries to tell a story with actual depth is doomed to have an insane story because it's hard to come up with upwards of 15 different distinct narratives for all the wildly distinct colorful characters, especially when it has to pivot on the keystone of all of them fighting to some degree

That's why even fighters with expansive story modes like Mortal Kombat and the Arc Sys games are still total hogwash nosnense

It's my belief that the appropriate amount of storytelling for a fighting game is the early Tekken amount of "Everyone has a unique, and ideally complimentary, ending, and maybe a 2-3 paragraph long text intro"