Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This is on the same level as Christopher Reeves accident as far as an actor leaving an impossible role to fill goes. He was instantly iconic. If he was doing the work he was with stage 3 cancer, I can't imagine how good he would have been healthy, either. loving tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah unlike Spider-Man it's built into the very premise that black panther is just a title.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Daredevil even ended with the status quo from the comics being achieved by the main trio.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

While her time in the franchise is soon over. It would be a bold move to let Scarlett Johanson play a Pakistani teenager.

She's just that good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

For those of you who don't get the Scarlet jokes it's referencing her playing a Japanese woman in ghost in the shell and her reaction to the white washing controversy being... Less than stellar: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/07/scarlett-johansson-casting-controversy-tree

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

She was talking about playing a trans man in that one, not GitS. I think she eventually dropped out of that movie.

She didn't specify which movie she was talking about, so I think she was referring to both. Her full comment about it being political correctness gone wild is the part that basically makes me hope she's in a horrible wheat thresher incident and has to retire and I never have to see her in anything again.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Karloff posted:

I've seen many films prior to release, and it is extremely rare to have complete vfx six months before - as in, I've never seen it ever. I understand JL had a different kind of production, but I am very suprised to hear that it was mostly complete.

The VFX are what wasn't done. That means he was most likely already at picture lock though. Which I'm surprised about because it contradicts all the talk of it being an assembly cut before.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arist posted:

"Picture lock" is an extremely nebulous term even within the industry. JL was apparently at picture lock, but all that means is that there was some informal non-binding agreement somewhere that "okay, we'll stop loving with the edits now" that probably got violated anyway.

Yeah I'm using it as a way of saying "they knew mostly what takes they were using at least, so the VFX guys could have maybe started but who knows if they did."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lost my poo poo at "I know you want that to be true, Brian, but it isn't," and stopped reading after I finished laughing. Assuming the rest of the post is as condescending and dumb, 10/10.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'd prefer to never see Hawkman in anything ever again.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If they do Phoenix in the MCU you do at least one X-Men movie before it actually shows up, but you build the force itself with post credit stuff in other movies. Then you need to have Jean as the regular rear end Phoenix for at least one movie. I would say two core X-Men movies then have her show up in at least one or two other crossover things too. Then you can turn her dark and have her be the main villain of the first big X-Men/Avengers crossover.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

They've only done DKR once though?

And they waited 9 movies, 4 different series, and 6 different Batmen.

Also AvX literally just happened. That's why nobody likes it. Nobody's decades of characterization mattered there. The only positive of AvX is the costumes for the Phoenix 5, and Cyclops was Right.

There have been two animated DKR movies and both Burton and Snyder have said it was the biggest influence on 89 and BvS. Tonally for 89, except the mention of the Corto Maltese, and more in your face in BvS.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Oh right, I forgot DC still does animation.

That's a 2 part DKR rather than doing it twice though isn't it?

They did the two separate things then they did a second super cut release. So I'm counting it as two things cause gently caress those greedy bastards lol

Doctor Spaceman posted:

DKR borrows a few things from DKR.

Also this, I try not to think about that movie though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

He has literally all of the same qualifications.

His parents are dead, but the context is different and I think that counts. Lex would disagree I'm sure.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn’t it get leaked before the movie came out that the one mystery woman lead was Talia Al Ghul as well?

It was also very, very obvious just from the movies if you knew anything about the comics.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alhazred posted:

And they didn't scream at each other. Ollie was suspicious about the Question because he didn't know him, but after him and the Question had a conversation about zen philosophy they were cool. The Question hasn't been written like Rorschach for several decades now.

He was kid friendly Rorschach in the JLU animated series.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alhazred posted:

While people in the JLU thinks he's a loon (allthough it turns out he's correct about everything) he's not portrayed as fascist or right leaning. In the comic he has flaws and makes mistakes, but he's aware of that and tries to be nettet. He's not the randian superman who's always in the right.

I think a lot of people conflate the Question with the Mr. A stuff Ditko did later.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The avengers game just uses terrigenesis so I wouldn’t be too shocked.

The avengers game went into production before they got the X-Men back.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The worst part of the Jamie Foxx news was seeing Humberto Ramos tweet "now bring back Andrew Garfield". Goddammit Ramos.

Garfield was fine and deserved better.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Peter is a scrawny science nerd, not a skateboarding weirdo with a 200 dollar haircut.

That was 70 years ago. This is what was wrong with the Raimi movies. They're insistent on following a tone that doesn't work if it's not 1965. What an outsider today is differs from what an outsider was then.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mycot posted:

I would be all for the Sixties time bubble of the Raimi films if it wasn't for the awful Mary Jane plots. The way she's written makes so much more sense when you realize the purpose of literally every female character is to be an obstacle to Spider-man.

If he had the balls to set it in the sixties the movies would have been much better.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Wait people don't like the dancing?

The dancing in both 2 and 3 are two of the only attempts at humor in those movies that land for me. Also, anyone who says they like the scene in 2 but not 3 is just virtue signaling. They're the same scene, even if you like the rest of 3 less.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

howe_sam posted:

To the extent that I hear a voice when I read Spider-Man, which honestly isn't much, it's still the guy from Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends.

I still hear 90s animated guy in my head.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jagermonster posted:

Of course anyone who watched the 90s show hears that guy’s voice - he had a nonstop running monologue throughout every show about what was going on at all times

Truly, the most accurate version of the sixties comics possible, in at least one way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

With theater chains starting to just flat out die, I don't think this whole thing where studios just make movies then never release them is gonna be the winning strategy here.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Oh no, see - it's fine because you'll be able to watch them on your TV for the low, low price of $30. If you're very lucky it won't involve jumping through some annoying hoop or installing another new client as the studios fragment everything.

You won't be able to complain because someone who has 4 kids will appear and remind you how expensive trips to the movies are for him, and that movie theaters are basically big rackets who overcharge for snacks so they deserve to all go out of business.

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit annoyed at Cineworld having to close all their sites and seeing the only real response from people be "Ah well. Going to the movies is poo poo anyway, Netflix is only £9!!! CoMFoRT oF My oWn HOmE" like its inconceivable that while I'm spending all my time working from home it might not nice to go out to see a movie for once.

No kids, but would gladly throw in $10 to watch Batman with my roommates. That's what it would have cost us each for tickets anyway. Maybe you should get some friends. Downloading an app isn't an ordeal.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm fine with never going to a theater again honestly, so we've got a disconnect on how much we value the giant rip off auditorium full of the worst of humanity, I guess.

E: I may have feelings on theaters lingering from working at one but honestly they're just sticky, dirty boxes full of people who can't shut up, are jerking off, or both.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Fair enough. If I'd witnessed people jerking off in there I'd probably be right there with you.

The amount of gross old couples we had to throw out for fuckin in the theaters was astounding. It was always fat white couples in their forties. One chick was giving the dude a hj in the middle of paranormal activity 2 on opening night in a sold out theater.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arist posted:

Movie theaters are good, what the gently caress

The Alamo Drafthouse that opened here is good. But it's also thirty minutes out of the city and will almost certainly not open back up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My head canon is Uncle Ben was into cougars and married May when he was 20 and she was 40.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

But that seems like the fundamental reason why I don't think the industry is gonna die. The replacement isn't sufficient. So even if the pandemic keeps going, the companies die out, and the theaters go cold they're still standing there and there's still a way to use them to make a ton of money and a reason for the studios to want to keep making that money. The idea of the theater business being dead just doesn't seem realistic to me unless we just think the pandemic is never ending. In which case it seems kind of secondary because we shouldn't be going to the movies anyway..

The pandemic is never ending. At least in the United States. There are enough brain poisoned people that even if a vaccine hits, they won't take it, and it'll gently caress it up for everyone else.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This is literally the only thing in that movie I liked about that character other than just Molina being an excellent actor. I hate so much that, just like Norman before him, he's actually a really good guy then has an outside force corrupt him. And I hate that he gets redeemed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Ben was simply 40 years older than his brother. No big deal.

Ben's parents had him straight out of high school when they got married. They didn't have Richard till they were in their late thirties. It doesn't happen often but like, Sarah Palin's kids are gonna end up with a similar age gap between them. Or Trump's kids.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

My youngest and oldest aunts have a 20 year age gap, but that's because there's 5 kids in between.

Actually, we don't know how old Uncle Ben was. Maybe he went grey early and married a woman ten years older than him.

Ben Parker, the original cougar hunter. Good for May landing herself a young stud though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, I don't know if Star-Lord or Spidey would have seen Starship Troopers...

Spidey would have seen it, it's a sci fi movie from a really long time ago.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

She's the new Dormammu.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I had totally forgotten about it being made, but Hulu has a Daimon Hellstrom series and it’s bad

It's got zero marvel branding, right?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It'll be a 20 minute single take in which the Justice League beat the poo poo out of Joker just so the crew can beat the poo poo out of Leto on camera.

You hear Snyder yell cut a few moments in, then the sound of him being dragged away.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

There's that but like, at that stage I don't think the MCU even had a lot of dead ones.

Iron Man - Iron Monger
Hulk - Abomination
Iron Man 2 - Whiplash and Hammer
Cap - Red Skull
Thor - Loki
Iron Man 3 - Uh... Not Mandarin?
Thor 2 - Some space elves.
Cap 3 - Hydra

Its still farly early in the MCU when Avengers 2 rolls around. I guess if you kept everyone alive you could have done a team up of Iron Man's enemies and Abomination led by Skull or Hydra or something but there was really no precedent at that time for bad guys to put on suits and start picking fights. Unless everyone idolized Mickey Rourke.

Justin Hammer gets recruited out of jail by Ross post Civil War and you get the Thunderbolts with those two, abomination, Ellen Brandt, Ghost (she's good but had to join up with them to stay alive after the snap), and then a couple of new villains. They could have done it if they wanted, they just don't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Brandt dies.

She's got Extremis, she can get better.