Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

She’s 0/2 with franchise finales now.

There must be something about Game of Throne alumni and X-Men movies that just works together to make a bad movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
I have a friend who used to do insurance for films (mostly tv) and such so I will ask her and get back to you guys about the insurance aspect.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib

Karloff posted:

Yeah, they seem to have slipped up bad here, they can't save face at all now that they've been caught out like this.

Also, another company can get easy points by making a big show of hiring Fisher for a project, a bit like when WB hired Gunn after Disney hosed it with the GOTG 3 situation. And I hope they do.

Unfortunately the downside is other companies might be worried about being put on Blast by Fisher as well

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
I hope we get to see She-Hulk shave her legs so we can finally, finally find out who was right about that - Byrne or McDuffie.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
The fact that the Phoenix Saga was tried and failed twice makes me just wish they would move on and do something else. Unless they make some grand sci Fi space opera I really don't care to see it put on the screen again.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib

Lobok posted:

A bald man crashed through a window in Luthor's study?

"Yes father....I will become.....bald"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
I recently rewatched the Nolan stuff and the one I was most excited to revisit was DKR because that was the one I liked the least and therefore the one I rewatched the least. I think I had seen it once since it was in theatres and that was when it was on some channel and I wasn't really paying attention, so this time I decided to revisit it and see "if it was really that bad".

From the rewatch I will say that the first....20 odd minutes are way better than I remember. The opening plane scene is up there with the bank heist in DK in regards to action set pieces. The setting up of the new status quo was quite good as we are given a new situation and a different world from before. Everything up until the first Bane/Batman fight scene is pretty solid.....and then it goes to poo poo.
Now there were some issues in Dark Knight as far as pacing go that were easy to overlook because of how good the movie is overall (despite what some....contrarians will say Dark Knight is still held up in some high regards). These pacing issues really become a lot more glaring in DKR. How long is Bruce in the hole? How does he get back into Gotham? How did things go to poo poo so quickly? Just some stuff that could have been dealt with a line of dialog was largely left alone.
I know people rail against Nolan being pro-surveillance state and anti occupy movement but the general message I initially took from the movie was be careful of populist who take over movements for personal gain. Yes Bane told Gotham to bring down the 1% and gently caress the police but we kind of leave out the part where he was going to blow up Gotham with a freaking nuclear bomb in the end (and also had criminals run kangaroo courts). The pro-police angle really sucked though, even when the movie came out and it was really loving bad having it be "the only thing between us and outright chaos is a police force because the citizens of Gotham are too meek to do anything for themselves otherwise (and in this regard I wish the movie really would have fully dedicated itself to NML like it should have).
I am kind of surprised to see people here say Hathaway was not a good Catwoman. I actually thought she did a great job with the character. Even Hardy was imposing as Bane should be.
Overall I think the movie is good nearing on great for the first 30 minutes and then pretty poo poo after that.

Dark Knight is still my favourite. Begins is better than I remember it and a solid first movie.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
The first two Raimi films were a lot of fun when they first came out but really don't hold up well on multiple viewings. They were created to be enjoyed in a theatre where you are living in the now and enjoying the spectacle without thinking too much about what you are seeing. The really haven't aged well but it was the first big screen Spiderman movies and at the moment in cinematic history they were pretty great ( I will honestly say the same about the first 2 X-Men movies).
ASM 1 was boring and I couldn't finish ASM 2. Garfield was......fine I guess. I honestly couldn't care at all about any of the characters though.
Holland is fine and it feels like the first time a movies has moved away from the "lol you like science you nerd I am going to pants you now because I am a jock and therefore a complete idiot" way of thinking which is great because it feels less like a old person trying to remember what high school was like for them 40 years ago. I agree with the complaint of Spidey being a bit too much like Iron Man and I really don't like the Spider suit that can do everything. I actually like that Parker has to know how to sew up holes and actually have to worry about his costume getting dirty and smelly. That poo poo is relatable as opposed to some high tech super army uniform he has going on.

Spiderverse is the best Spiderman movie hands down. The story is great, the animation is great and full of so many little easter eggs that unlike the Raimi films it really does hold up and need rewatchings.

edit: Alan Moore is comic book related so does anyone know what The Show is besides Alan Moore's big screen debut?

Madkal fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 5, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
May being one unexpected sugar rush moment away from death was always my favourite plot point. She probably had a very boring life until she reached 80.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
Apologies if this brings things close to Snyder chat but does WB think the Snyder cut will actually course correct and lead to more sequels? The money they are throwing at it is absurd and it sounds like it will be a completely different movie. Do the execs think the only reason JL underperformed was because there was not enough Snyder? Like, what are the plans going post Snyder cut.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib

site posted:

justice league: the snyder cut - the max landis re-edit

snyder cut - the max landis re-edit -The Girl Talk remix

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
The year is 2020 and Snyder and co are still trying to make Steppenwolf a thing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
The choice to make Steppenwolf the main villain is still baffling, so many years after the movie came out. Like I understand if they want a build up to Darkseid in the never to be released 3rd movie, but to have someone that really is kind of not a big deal unless you follow the comics, and especially older comics, as the main villain just seemed baffling. When he was announced as the villain did anyone say "finally, Steppenwolf is making it to the big screen". They could have still built up to Darkseid by having stuff happen behind the scenes like Glorious Godfrey being a Fox News type seen on TV screens and some such bullshit while the league battles the White Martians or something, but Steppenwolf was just such a final end boss of a character that they could have just made an original creation with the exact same design and called it a day.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib

Retro Futurist posted:

I wonder how that'll work in Canada since we don't have HBOmax. Hopefully it'll be on something I already get

Hoping it comes to Crave (as I have Crave and they put on a bunch of HBO stuff and Max stuff like Raised by Wolves)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly what I think should have happened in BvS is they play the con game, which would also make the random murder of Jimmy Olsen make more sense.

You get weird assholes media manipulating Lex only to reveal at the end he is actually Glorious Godfrey. All of BvS was a Godfrey plot. It makes more sense thematically and helps set up the idea that Darkseid us coming better. It also doesn't change any of the plot since Lex was already being influenced/possessed/whatever.

This has me thinking (and I guess side warning as this will go to some Star Wars and Marvel stuff too) but with these big tent pole movies that are supposed to launch a thousand sequels and whatnot is there any thought process into the long game as far as story is concerned. I don't mean a rigid A leads to B leads to C but something where they say "we start here, lay the seeds for something that will pay off in 2 movies time kind of thing.
I know with the recent Star Wars trilogy it felt like there was no cohesive storyline to tie the three movies together having poo poo basically contradict the previous entry because no one thought to have a character bible or anything. Meanwhile Marvel movies felt like the could play loose and let their movies tell their own stories but continuously build towards a big event (Thanos).
BvS felt disconnected from Justice League where it could have more directly lead into it but it felt (and I am probably right about this) that they didn't even have a plot outline for Justice League when BvS came out which just seems like bad planning now.

Anyway, sorry if I opened a whole can of worms.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
Yea sounds like Canada is getting the short stick here because we are considered international box office I guess

https://twitter.com/dfriend/status/1329222016570974210?s=19

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
The Treehouse of Horror where Homer travels back in time because of his toaster is the best representative of time travel committed to (small) screen

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib

Retro Futurist posted:

They're open in BC. I don't think anyone is going but by God they're open

You can even rent out an entire theatre for you and 10 friends (please ignore government guidelines that says all indoor social gatherings are prohibited).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib

Retro Futurist posted:

Imagine spending $150 to watch the croods 2 and like 3 of your friends die as a result

Sounds like the next low budget Blumhouse movie setting.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
I mean I am sure Croods is a fine hungover nothing on TV poo poo I need to vacuum the place oh let me answer these text messages from mom about the kid I knew from high school rainy day Sunday kind of movie, but it definitely isn't one I would be willing to die for. Bill and Ted Face the Music on the other hand....

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
Mandy and Colour out of Space were both great and I think it put him on a good track for output. Drive Angry is probably his best Ghost Rider movie (which isn't really saying much).

Edit: talking about Nic Cage my wife is reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin and now wants to see the movie. As it is a book I enjoyed years ago I am morbidly curious to see how badly Cage was miscast for the film.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 27, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
Hitler is the ultimate boogeyman (hello Godwin). I would have preferred him to be captured and tried in front of the world. And then hung.

As a society it's strange to think about how we view killing others in the name of the greater good. The idea of the state killing someone via death penalty as opposed to sending soldiers across the world to kill other soldiers. Countries without death penalties are happy enough to do that and find the justifications needed.
Lastly, one little interesting tidbit about a country with the death penalty, Israel (and yes I know all about the assassinations, wars, conspiracies, etc) has only tried and executed one person (and yes I know about....etc), and that was Adolf Eichmann. Despite having capital punishment it is only used for those tried for war crimes (yes Israel etc etc) and only been used once. That's the end of that little tidbit.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib

How Wonderful! posted:

I think it's kind of wild that there hasn't been a big superhero musical yet. I think the time is ripe. I think a huge, bombastic, sunny Squirrel Girl musical would be the bee's knees.

Holy Musical B@man is near perfect and all available on YouTube

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96B8289ADF77A8C4

Madkal fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 29, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
You can read Marvels as it sort of goes into all of that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
Firstly: I want this to happen in Canada.
Secondly: I don't want them to do what they did with Mulan and charge 20 freaking dollars to watch a movie in your own home.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
Some of my fondest memories was working in a movie theatre (though it was a bit of a boutique theatre before it got bought out by a major chain) and I do love the movie going experience and the excitement of seeing a movie you are really excited to see in a room with other people really excited to see that movie. That being said movie theatres have kind of gone to poo poo over the years. It took too long (here in Western Canada at least) to figure out assigned seating, the implementation of allowing hot food outside of popcorn into the theatres (which I am against) and charging 10 dollars more per ticket for a "VIP experience" that just means you get to have staff deliver a beer to your seat while you watch a movie that you spent 27 dollars per ticket on.
After Covid there is one or two independent theatres that I will still go see movies at (if they are still around), and I sympathize with anyone that works at a movie theatre and wanting a job there. I won't cheer the death of the movie theatre business as I think society would actually be a little worse without it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib

site posted:

So she's fighting the brave fighters of the mujahideen?

Never forget that Rambo fought with the Mujahideen in Rambo 3 and even respected what brave and noble fighters they were.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
Put in the Mystery Men. Do it you cowards.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
For when it came out 1 was really really impressive. Yes the Goblin design sucked and the acting was....a choice, but Spidey swinging through New York was really well done and it felt really true to the comic. It doesn't hold up to rewatching but for the time that it came out it was really good. Spiderman 2 was better.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
Like, I agree with your points Lurdiak but I got to say Spiderverse is the best Spiderman movie ever.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
Rewatching the first Spiderman right now because of this conversation and I must say that the whole "person walking in off the street to wrestle what I assume is a professional" just does not seem realistic at all.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
Things I have forgotten about Spiderman 1:

How dark the robbers death was

Green Goblin turning people into vaporizing skeletons.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
This ain't your loving daddy's loving Batman. This is Batman that says gently caress. Got it, kid?

There should be a fan edit somewhere where someone puts "gently caress" into every piece of Batman dialog in every tv/movie/cartoon show.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
I've said it before but Aquaman is a solid 2003-2006 movie. If a Saliva song appeared in the end credits it wouldn't feel put of place.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
"It's no good" was really out of place. Such a great song used in such a movie that seems to be so opposite of Depeche Mode.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
I remember seeing Spider verse and there was someone sitting in the back row with a stupidly loud obnoxious hyena laugh and I kept worrying that they would find the next scene funny

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Isreal is bombing the gaza strip to promote WW84. Just the way Gal would want it.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1342699473919746050?s=19

I cant wait to watch it. :)

I love this argument because Israelis have conscription so every single Israeli ever is a war criminal.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
Hey guys I hate it when film makers don't do proper historical research and look into various theories and outcomes of the great war when making a movie about a magical woman fighting the god of war. Where is my nuance and and historicity in my comic book movie?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib

NieR Occomata posted:

This is a dumb argument not only because literal actual comics have been doing this for half a century now, but also because the actual movie actually made this a central issue and then completely hosed up the execution. If they wanted to make a movie all about them evil 1918 era Germans being all evil and committing war crimes (that literally every nation was perpetuating, whatever), that’s fine. But instead it wanted to be a movie about how actually all sides are bad when it was incapable of portraying the Germans as anything but Nazis Lite. If they didn’t want the movie to be criticized for being historically inaccurate and being revisionist maybe don’t tread in those waters and attempt to be something more high minded than it was.

But people in this thread have literally gone and shown how the German weren't seen as "Nazi Lite" but as people fighting in a war that was being propagated by the literal god of war. The Germans were getting ready to sign a cease fire, repulsed by the chemical weapon etc.
Again though this is a movie about the literal god of war aiding but not fully influencing things and people in this thread are "well actually Germany was never influenced by the god of war and also Nazis in world war I". The movie never set out to be Germans are evil and the, again, literal, god of war was introduced aiding the British war effort in the first place (he was aiding all the war efforts as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Fallen Rib
Yea from what I recall it was generally the French (might have been the Brits as well) who executed people for desertion or purposely injuring themselves. Shell shock though was treated but the idea was "get these men better so they can go back to the field and fight again".