Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's certainly a... timely... opportunity to make a film about a succession crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think there's definitely a sense in which saying "this is always bad and can only ever be bad" is letting the people and institutions who do it badly off the hook; see also, every high school trope ever.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I remember literally nobody demanding that Cyborg say "booyah" but I do recall a lot of people saying "it's weird that they keep trying to make this character A Thing but persist in making him the exact opposite of the one version of the character who is actually popular."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The thing about "[hero] doesn't kill" is that it's a different kind of rule for different characters.

"Batman doesn't kill" is an in-character rule that many versions of Batman have, because it demonstrates that he enforces limits on himself and works with the idea that he's struggling with his inner darkness.

"Superman doesn't kill" or "Spider-Man doesn't kill" is an expression of an out-of-character concept, because Superman icing somebody is generally going to be tonally inappropriate.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

It'd be better if Superman was gay and had a boyfriend

Or multiple boyfriends, like a harem

It would be better if Superman didn't have such an exhaustive canon of facts so that he could be married to Lois Lane one week and dating Jimmy Olsen the next week without either of those things contradicting.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I almost feel like Spider-Man movies should be a bit more stylized, the way Batman movies were for a long time with the Tim Burton and the post-Tim Burton aesthetic. I'm not sure exactly what kind of stylization they call for... maybe a Venture Bros-style post-50s-futuristic aesthetic?

Spider-Man is one of those characters who exists in a weird tension between a bunch of established elements, where he's a put-upon dude with the Parker Luck but is also a super-strong genius with an incredible body played by a Hollywood-handsome actor and is friends with Tony Stark and Captain America.

Lately I've also been thinking that they should just start giving heroes official timelines with "eras" to sort this kind of thing out, so that a Batman story can just be officially placed in the "pre-Robin era" or the "Damien era" rather than trying to keep up with a constantly-evolving present, and that would probably work for Spider-Man, also, as you could just drop a story in the early, struggling era, and not have to worry about why Peter doesn't ask one of his many super-friends for assistance.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

apparently Marvel Studios/Zhao didn’t even ask him to get jacked for the role (this is backed up by Brian Tyree Henry saying in interviews that he wasn’t asked to lose weight), he just thought he should do it because he was playing a superhero

That seems weird. Didn't he write that whole article about how his physical transformation was only possible because Disney money paid for it, and other people shouldn't use him as a baseline for what their bodies should look like?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The complaint that went big was less about whether sex and relationships exist and more about "there's a lot of actors and actresses having their bodies paraded around like sides of beef, but very few actual displays of healthy sexuality. Chris Evans has to maintain a ludicrous level of body fat but he has no chemistry with anybody because Cap has to be pure but still marketable as a sex object."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I can understand that in some cases but a lot of movies specifically do not have a healthy view of sexual relationships because healthy sexual relationships are usually not born from pausing to bone someone you just met in the middle of a worldwide crisis.

I think the idea is that if you're too busy to express your sexuality in a wholesome way, you should also be too busy to pose with your shirt or while crammed into a very tight leather catsuit.

Like, the complaint stems from the fact that these films are very highly sexualized already, so "I'm too busy for being sexy" isn't an answer.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Alternate-alternate take:

Mutants don't actually exist. "Mutant" is just a word for "person with powers" made up by people who want to other them, and they don't actually have a shared origin except in mutual persecution.

(This is useful because it helps avoid the issue current comics have where mutants are zealots for the supremacy of mutants, which means people with an active X-gene, but not people who are completely identical in all respects except for having the Y-gene instead.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The thing about this problem is that having people try to "solve" the problem in-story is just making the problem worse, because what they should actually be doing is exercising more editorial discipline out-of-story and writing these characters differently.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, part of it is that we're still drastically underserved in terms of male major protagonists who are into each other, and any "just kiss" reaction has to be viewed in light of the fact that the market is completely glutted with heterosexual relationships and people are starving for good gay stuff.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't think anybody in this thread is actually asking for a sex scene.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Putting aside that these are family films and there's plenty of places to go for titillation I'm pretty ok with a general "sexlessness" in Hollywood compared to past generations considering how undeniably, documented, historically, consistently godawful and monstrous Hollywood has been about the exploitation and treatment of women. Well and men. So less actors who feel like saying no to a nude or sex scene or something might cost them their big break is a net positive.

Again, nobody in this thread is asking for sex scenes, and acting like wanting more gay rep is somehow inherently sexual is a fairly notorious form of homophobia.

Soul Glo posted:

i want to see dongs going in

Nobody.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like Clark is a nice boy and he deserves two love interests.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like the problem with trying to modernize Lex Luthor as a concept is that people right now are hyper-aware that basically every single real-life equivalent of Lex Luthor is a loving moron.

Which honestly raises the question of whether it's even appropriate to keep using the version of him who's a genius, since even the "horrifically flawed genius" version of him is giving the techbros what they want and don't deserve.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Knives ending does in fact work better for the movie, although it would be worse for the comic book.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The movie isn't the same story or even really the same character as the books, so citing things from the books to determine how the movie should have ended is kind of pointless.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Aquaman 2 is a movie in an extended universe that already publicly crashed and burned and got cancelled.

The Marvels was, even if it didn't really deserve it, the first MCU movie to do "badly".

The situations aren't really the same.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The movie version of Scott is absolutely more predatory than the book version.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Scott describes himself as "such a jock" in the story that's part of Vs. the Animation, so I think that's definitely part of his self-image even if he doesn't do any actual sports. The comic version of the character has a kind of cartoon hyperkineticism that lets him pull this off, so I think it's correct to read him as legitimately fit even if his lifestyle is terrible (which is why if his life had a face, Kim would punch it).

The movie version doesn't really have this, not so much because Cera is schlubby and more because Cera is made of meat and not pixels and thus can't carry the same manic energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's also worth noting that Scott seems to exist in a universe where being able to defeat people in video-game brawls seems to be connected on a thematic level with the ability to impose your personality on the world around you, which kind of breaks the link between lifestyle and fitness.

The animated version of Lucas Lee is about three times as jacked as anybody else in the show, but he seems like exactly the kind of person who could never keep to a diet or a heavy lifting regime.