Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
RIP Chadwick Boseman. This is just awful. I saw Black Panther 4 or 5 times when it came out. A superhero that looked like me. It's just not fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So like...does someone at some point stop Illyana or call her out? Does the movie in any way decide to tackle that? Maybe I don't get Magik, but it's striking me as odd for a Russian woman to be prejudice against Native Americans.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just don't get the appeal of Hawkman. Try as I might, I do not understand the fun of that character or how to make him exciting on screen. I know it's got an Egyptian reincarnation theme, but Hawkman is also a white guy usually? That's what I got from the CW at least.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm sorry, Hawkman is a fascist? Is it because his power is wearing a winged harness?

Blockhouse posted:

Remember how The Dark Knight set up this massive status quo change where the police would actively be hunting Batman and Gotham would turn against him, leaving him more isolated then ever? And then in DKR it turned out Bruce twisted his ankle real bad so he quit being Batman for nearly a decade?

I hate that loving movie.

Yes, yes, 100x yes and I know this isn't exactly high-quality contributing to the thread but it makes me happy. I get told how the Nolan trilogy is flawless actually and I just didn't get Rises a lot. No, I got it. It was dumb.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 29, 2020

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I remember Bane being done in by Catwoman shooting rockets at him from her motorcycle thing. Did that not happen?

Endless Mike posted:

It's because he's a cop

Do all Green Lanterns fall into this also? I feel like John, Guy, and Kyle at least would not be down for that.

Seemlar posted:

The first supervillain to come to Gotham after the Dent Act is put in place conquers it almost effortlessly and shoves all the cops into a dungeon.

The movie ends with the Batman mantle passed from the guy working out his trauma through vigilantism to a younger man whose immediate reaction on finding out the truth about the Dent Act was disgust

This still really bugs me because the point I thought of the opening was "Turns out in the real world if you tried to be a vigilante you'd suffer from a bum knee and forced retirement". Rookie cop JGL is not a trained ninja. He's going to be a dead Batman in his first week.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm gonna say it. I liked ASM2 way better than 1. Garfield's character was better in the sequel and Foxx is at least memorably absurdly bad instead of just bad. The electricity fixes the gap in his teeth, I mean come on!

Dacap posted:

I assume this means they’re continuing multiverse shenanigans from the Dr Strange sequel?

That avatar loving rules, please tell me you have a bigger version.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Garfield is written to be such an rear end in a top hat in those movies that it's just impossible for me to view him well. It bothers the heck out of me that Amazing has Captain Stacy like "Pete...I'm dying. Before I go, please...leave my daughter alone before you get her killed. In some sort of goblin-related falling injury." And like 5 minutes later he's just not doing that. Not even trying a little. The sequel doesn't have him trying either. It's an odd character beat.

Holland's not flawless, but he's done the best with it so far for me. McGuire didn't land the wit and snark well enough. He looks like a dweeb (like physically acts as one in the films, not a comment on his appearance). Plus yeah, as folks have said, Dunst is just doing nothing good at all in any of those movies. Not one.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I still hear 90s animated guy in my head.

Yep. Which is bizarre, because this is actually mostly independent of the Peter I'm reading. I could crack open something from the 80's and I'll still use the 90's cartoon guy. It's that or Ultimate Spider-Man from the Gamecube game.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'll give Raimi Spider-Man the melodramatic speeches, but I can't say it's got better action than MCU Spider-Man. That Mysterio sequence is pretty dang great. So is the yacht. So is everything he does in that intro in Civil War. The MCU is really good at Spider fighting.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Jeez. I'm starting to wonder if they're gonna release a tweet of me being in this 24 hour long film.

EDIT: Yucky snipe. To add onto villain team discourse I think part of why people would like it to be at this leg of the MCU is because we can skip a lot of clunky establishment. It can be done. I'm not saying it couldn't. I'm just saying we can get more quickly to how neat it might be to see Falcon fight The Vulture when those two characters and what they're about is already taken care of for us.

I have to admit I'm vaguely aware of who the Thunderbolts are, but I don't actually know what separates them from Suicide Squad. Are other heroes aware of them? I have to imagine comics Cap would be wildly not ok with a government approved villain team. I recognize this was a point of discussion in Civil War, but it's been 100 years since that story and I feel like they existed before that.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 23, 2020

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

WB has handled their DC license with such wild incompetence that honestly I hope Snyder takes them for all they're worth. If WB executives didn't want to go bankrupt, they shouldn't have rushed Justice League out the door just to preserve their loving bonuses. If we get an actually-good Justice League out of it, bonus!

But Snyder is the biggest name behind why people have the perception WB mishandled the DC license. Most people are pretty favorable toward one or more of Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Shazam, Birds of Prey, and Joker.

Aphrodite posted:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me thrice, shame on you. Fool me there's no word for 4 and beyond.

Huh. There really isn't. The English language has failed us all. We should invent one. Quarice. Quice. Fourice.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

McCloud posted:

Snyder's particular style does have its own fans, and by hiring someone who's style is the exact opposite and having him reshoot 90% and recomposite that into a frankensteins film just assured that no one would like it.

The idea was that Snyder's films would form the backbone of the DCEU in a self contained story, and could be used as a jumping off point for other films with their own tone and style. Aquaman and WW are proof of concept of that, and if WB hadn't so colossally hosed up JL they would have had a film about the flash, cyborg and GL out and they probably would have done well.

Personally I blame Geoff Johns

None of this is news to me, I'm just confused by the idea that there's some kind of "win" in Snyder taking WB for all they have. Snyder's the guy behind all the DC movies I don't like. He's certainly filthy rich from even BEFORE this. Who could care.

Whether or not those hypothetical movies would have done well is something we'll never know and can't even debate contextually.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

McCloud posted:

Snyder himself has said he isn't getting a paycheck out of this. And the point is that even if you didn't happen to like his films there's plenty of others who do. Saying he mishandled the DC franchise because you're not fond of his version of Superman or whatever is nonsense, saying WB mishandled it by butchering the third installment of it and then immediately canceling all other superhero films that hadn't already started production is not.

All you are saying is "I like them so stop saying people don't." I know you liked them, McCloud. A lot of people did not. Their reputation is not good. It was poor after Man of Steel and worse after BvS. To act like the DCEU was absolutely lighting the world on fire and breaking box office records until that rotten Justice League killed them is disingenuous. Like me not liking them is about a singular me, but you liking them is about the plenty of others who do. That knife cuts both ways.

Idc about Snyder saying he wasn't paid.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I find that Iron Man 2 has some cool individual moments, but they're not stitched together well. I have always said Age of Ultron improves to me on rewatch, but IM2 is actually kinda worse. Maybe it's just Elon Musk hitting me in the face WAY harder in 2020 than it did back the.

Also Black Panther's father is T'Chakka.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I remember liking LoXG as a child and refuse to ever revisit it and have that stolen from me. You all will not kill this for me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The first Thor is very stiff and Hawkeye's cameos isn't as fun as Natasha's. I remember my friend fell asleep during it, but I thought it was ok. Hiddleston is clearly working his rear end off.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It was kinda neat when Flash did that in the TV show, but I feel like it would be a hokey in a film. What are Diana and Aquaman doing?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't mean this as any kind of target call out, but it really bums me out that "Superman should be friendly and smiling" is a hot take worth burying with sarcasm. I know you can interpret these characters in thousands of different valid ways, but I do think you can Ship of Theseus your way out of some of them.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
My only proper analogy is in pro wrestling. Sometimes the bad guy is doing a really good job at being the bad guy. And I can appreciate that. But sometimes the bad guy is doing a really bad job and if you criticize them, they always can fall back on "Well you're not supposed to like it. They're the bad guy."

The latter is sorta how I feel about that version of Superman. I didn't like it and people can tell me I'm not supposed to, but that doesn't make me feel any better about it. If the natural conclusion of a character is "Superman must snap their neck" I think you should write a different character.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

McCloud posted:

No, the cop out would have been if there'd been some deus ex machina that removed Zod from the equation without forcing Supermans hand. Comic books are full of that kind of storytelling where the very fabric of the universe will contrive to protect the heroes morals, no matter how absurd the situation. They could have easily written the script in a way that had Zod getting sucked into the phantom zone with the rest of his cronies, but they didn't, is because they wanted to contrive an actual no-win situation for Superman. Because sometimes there is no super secret hidden option like in RPGs where everybody wins, sometimes all you have are bad options, and I think that's just as valid as having the character use some clever loophole to get Zod to surrender or depower him or whatever.

I'm watching Superman. I expect him to have options that do not exist in real life. If it turns out Superman solves his problems the exact same way as The Punisher, it reduces both characters. See also: Batman killing the poo poo out of the dudes that have Martha Kent hostage. "Sometimes ya got no choice but to do a murder" is totally on brand for Wolverine. It's really dull from Superman. Because sure enough, that is the conclusion we reach in the next film too with Doomsday. It turns out it's just easier to kill dudes than literally anything else narratively. That's boring. As a matter of fact, they set up Steppenwolf to get killed too.

Just, for me, "sometimes all you have are bad options" is antithetical to Superman, Cap, and arguably Spider-Man. Anybody else can do that story but those guys. Because the entire point of those guys is a rejection of that philosophy.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

muscles like this! posted:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1333078267302187009
Marvel created a new logo treatment for the Disney+ version of Black Panther.

It just makes me so so sad. Too young for, by all appearances, a really kind guy.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know it's tired by now, but I'm still stunned I'm alive for a Marvel Universe on screen that has Kate Bishop, but not Reed Richards or Wolverine. I love the MCU.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rhyno posted:

Those guys will both be in the MCU in the very tangible future so don't die if you can help it.

I'm trying, but I live in the United States and only half of us are in support of that idea.

I want to see Blade :(

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
My world history is bad, why is Diana fighting a caravan of brown people in the desert in 1984?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Cena's big square head would make him a great Colossus actually. Or maybe Hammerhead in a future Spider-Man/Daredevil movie.

As an aside I'm actually just happy to catch up on the thread and see more positivity than expected. Twitter was flooding me with not just MCU fatigue, but "comic book movies are bad unilaterally on general principle". Super bummer. Personally I am excited to rev back up since I didn't end up seeing Aquaman or Shazam and don't have Disney+ yet.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Much like I think online discourse pathologizing all activity is toxic, I think the need to place some kind of moral value in all things entertainment is toxic. I just don't like painting with a wide brush. I understand some of the defensiveness. I just think Guardians of the Galaxy is a fun movie with cool characters. I think its sequel Has Something to Say TM. It was really weird seeing leftist Twitter just have a whole day about dunking on the modern myth guy. It's dorky, but it's also harmlessly so. We've all been trapped online for far longer than any people should be.

Vandar posted:

We have a perfect Colossus already. :colbert:

I didn't know if we were gonna be able to keep him!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Age of Ultron is like 2005 Doom where I know the internet thinks its bad and has good reasons, but I can't connect to any of them. Outside of the trash Banner/Widow stuff, I just think the movie is fun to watch from basically start to finish. I like the team party a lot. I like the groundwork being laid for Civil War between Cap and Tony. The "Everybody in the pool to fight mooks" sequence is actually pretty fun. Hawkeye is pretty great as a character in this movie.

Granted, the only MCU movies I think are mediocre trash are the Iron Man sequels and Thor 2.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

STAC Goat posted:

Isn't Hawkeye's comic entrance to the Avengers that he tried to rob them and got his rear end kicked by the security system or something?

This was how Spidey tried to join the Fantastic Four I'm pretty sure.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Open Marriage Night posted:

Do I need to see the first eighty three Wonder Woman movies to understand this one?

You definitely need to see the first one, but you can skip over 2-83. They're no big deal, nobody ever talks about them.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel like the world has been looking for more Static Shock for a decade now and has just never properly gotten it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

howe_sam posted:

That is by far and away my least favorite joke in the entire MCU. The idea that Cap, a guy who served in WW2, would chide somebody for swearing is patently ridiculous.

Both Guardians films have a moment where someone uses the word "turd" and I cringed both times. It's really awkward both times.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm actually super ready for MCU Galactus. Phoenix I'm cold on after Fox tried and failed twice, but I don't have the same energy for Galactus after the bombed Silver Surfer movie from years back. Those panels are super rad.

No version of Hal Jordan is better than John Stewart.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Captain America was my favorite Avenger and I was bummed that Endgame was his swansong before he ever got to meet Daredevil or Wolverine, so I'm happy to have him back in any capacity :shobon:

I guess my favorite is Thor now. I really liked "Let's kill him properly this time."

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Beta Ray Matt Damon

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I still don't understand people thinking the story of Ragnarok was that Thor using any weapon at all for any reason is counter to his new character. He learned he doesn't need a hammer to have self-worth and be a good fighter. That doesn't mean a big axe isn't useful to fight the strongest thing in existence. He still did the glowy blue lightning thing. And when Mjolnir is back in action in Endgame, he lets Steve mess with it because he knows it's not about the tool.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

It makes sense if his arc was to die to redeem himself, but then they... didn't do that.

I feel like giving Hawkeye this Yakuza Killer gimmick so they could kill him in the same movie would've been lazy. Making him live with his choices and try to find redemption is better long term.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I could see where you guys were angling if Thor had also tapped out at the end of Endgame, but he's got 2 more appearances at the barest minimum coming down the pipeline. His arc isn't over. Thor deciding to not become Also Odin is a much more interesting direction for his character to me. Odin was a Tough Man Making Tough Choices in the MCU. Thor knows he's not cut out for that and frankly doesn't think Asgard needs that.

FilthyImp posted:

Except when the guy task3d with that would be Renner. Ugh

Fair. I admit I actually liked Renner as Hawkeye, but since I heard about his off camera stuff, it's just colored his every appearance. Gonna be weird watching Kate Hawkeye. And that one episode of Angel.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It almost looks like he just ripped the sleeves off of an old Star Lord costume. I hope that's what it is. So excited for more MCU Thor.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It is wild to me that the MCU had a Nuke and he never had any interaction with Cap and never will.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Jamesman posted:

I'm also watching Daredevil's last season, and I'm just reminded of how loving good Charlie Cox is as Matt Murdock. I really hope the rumors are true and he gets a chance to play the character some more.

Me too. He was wonderful as Daredevil and deserves to have a longer go at it. Though I'd say the same for Ritter as Jessica Jones and Mike Colter as Luke Cage to varying degrees. And of course Jon Bernthal should get another crack at Punisher. By the end of it all, I enjoyed most of Netflix MCU, so it's kind of a bummer for it to all be non-canon and shot into the sun. There's some stuff worth keeping. If that turns out to just be Daredevil, fine.

He looks like Joaquin Phoenix Joker. Maybe it's all a big swerve and this is gonna bring in Joaquin Phoenix instead of stupid Leto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Zazie Beets being so wonderful in Deadpool 2 is a big part of why I want Deadpool 3 if I am honest.