Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Why wouldn't they throw Jon Berg under the bus? He doesn't work at Warner Bros anymore. Practically no one involved with the production of Justice League does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
At this point I think Fisher's going to have to give some details, since Warner is writing it off as "well he just didn't like how his character was written" and are probably just going to move on. The vagueness actually kind of hurts here.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr Hootington posted:

You and nearly everyone else on the planet.

Hey now. Some of us wouldn't go see Tenet if there wasn't a deadly pandemic.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FlamingLiberal posted:

So Not America then

Eh there are parts of America, like New Hampshire.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhyno posted:

He's made his career selling his dead sister which I've been saying is creepy for ages.

Can we not do this angle?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Remember how The Dark Knight set up this massive status quo change where the police would actively be hunting Batman and Gotham would turn against him, leaving him more isolated then ever? And then in DKR it turned out Bruce twisted his ankle real bad so he quit being Batman for nearly a decade?

I hate that loving movie.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't even enjoy DKR for what it is. I honestly can't think of a single thing I like about it. Like even just trying to go through its possible merits one by one:

Is it a good action movie? gently caress no, most of the fight scenes are actively embarrassing, either in editing or choreography.

Is it a good Batman movie? Batman is barely in it. His only story function is to fly away with a nuke at the end.

Is it a good looking movie? No, it's Nolan at his flattest and dullest.

Is that acting good? Not really. Hathaway and Hardy are completely miscast. JGL looks like he's confused why he's in the movie half the time. Everyone from the old films is doing their best, but...

Is it well written? All the memorable bits of writing are only memorable because they've been turned into memes that are either about how hilarious Hardy's bane voice is or how unnatural and awkward the movie's dialogue is.

How about the story? Bane takes over Gotham by trapping every police officer in the city in the sewer for months.

What's it trying to say thematically? People who want social change are just dupes being used by terrorists and instantly let their city fall into anarchy until ~the police~ show up to save the day! Sprinkle in enough references to A Tale Of Two Cities that make it clear the writers missed the point of A Tales Of Two Cities.

It's a wretched, awful movie and I hate it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Seemlar posted:

The first supervillain to come to Gotham after the Dent Act is put in place conquers it almost effortlessly and shoves all the cops into a dungeon.

The movie ends with the Batman mantle passed from the guy working out his trauma through vigilantism to a younger man whose immediate reaction on finding out the truth about the Dent Act was disgust

The truth being that a surveillance state is bad only when its named after a man who had half his face burned off

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's a weird turn after the cops were spectacularly useless in TDK, constantly blundering into every trap the Joker set, and with Gordon turning on Batman when it comes to the hostage situation at the end. Ultimately it's civilians who are the only people on the movie who prove the Joker wrong.

Then in DKR they're both stupid enough to get trapped in a sewer for months and yet the only thing that defeats the army of escaped criminals who have taken over the city?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
maybe theaters shouldn't die because an entire industry full of unemployed workers would be bad

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I disliked Spider-Man 2 before it was cool!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

STAC Goat posted:

I definitely don't think theaters are gonna die. Theater companies might but even if that happens Disney or Google or whoever will buy up abandoned theaters and start Theater Wars or something.

I dunno if you've been keeping up with current events but Disney isn't going to be buying jack poo poo for a while

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly it feels like everything that isn’t Doc Ock is kinda bad.

I think everything about Doc Ock that isn't Molina's performance is bad

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

mycot posted:

The tentacle puppets are cool as hell.

I'll admit to that!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Retro Futurist posted:

gently caress it, I'm counting Sonic

has super-speed, multiple comics series one of which has extremely complicated continuity, it all checks out

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
In the choice between make a bit of money next year or make no money next year...well, it's not really a choice for any business at all.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
hosed up that MCU peter parker stole miles' personality and his best friend and now he's taking his movie too

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
is that Loki as DB Cooper??

Incredible.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They could have just rewritten Iron Man's origin in a way they didn't put any of the onus on foreigners and then feature the subsequent killing of said foreigners, but that would require a level of self-awareness in 2008 I genuinely don't believe anyone in Hollywood possessed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

STAC Goat posted:

Isn't Hawkeye's comic entrance to the Avengers that he tried to rob them and got his rear end kicked by the security system or something?

Hawkeye breaks into the mansion and beats up all the Avengers to prove he should be on the team

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Why are the SFX in this movie so bad? They had like two years of post-production and this is what they made?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't know if you notice this but from an outsider's perspective neither of you are looking particularly great right now

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

AdmiralViscen posted:

Fisher is a union organizer, he isn’t making it about himself, he knows exactly what he’s doing, and he’s already getting results

This doesn’t all need to be completely visible to us as individuals at this moment

Like...is he getting results?

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/geoff-johns-ray-fisher-justice-league-1234881046/

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Did WB take action against Whedon? The only person whose word we have on that is Fisher, who apparently is wrong about action being taken against Johns. Whedon says he quit due to stress of working during covid which sure does sound like bullshit but now with all of this it kind of hurts Fisher's credability.

I have no doubt he has the best of intentions in mind and is genuinely trying to improve working conditions for black actors but I also don't think he really has any idea what he's doing. You also have that whole thing where he says he won't work in any movie that's under Hamada, but then blasts The Wire writer as "doing WarnerMedia's bidding" or whatever when it's reported that he's not going to be in The Flash, and then trying to take some weird loophole that somehow the statement he made doesn't mean he's not going to be in that movie? All I can think of is that he geniunely thinks they're going to take the movie away from Hamada, and that's...not going to happen. It's really not going to happen.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 8, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

howe_sam posted:

It sort of depends on how you define results with respect to Johns. He's no longer an executive at WarnerMedia, but they still have a business relationship with his production company to make Stargirl for them. Plus, WW84 was written waaay before all this started so it's a little unfair to point to that as an example of Warner still being in the Geoff Johns business. Likewise, those other EP credits are probably contractual holdovers from his time as DC CCO, I mean hell, Andrew Kriesberg's name is still all over the CWVerse shows and he got fired years ago. So depending on how you want to parse it both things are true?

No, it's really not. Johns was never an executive at WarnerMedia. He was a chief creative officer at DC Entertainment and left that position in 2018, years before Fisher said anything. As the article says, he's still actively the showrunner of Stargirl and producing a show that's still coming up. There's been no mention of him being removed from either of those,.

So, it sure looks like nothing happened to him much less Fisher's claim that he'll be leaving.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

AdmiralViscen posted:

Oh right, that was in December. But the negotiations aren’t, per this tweet

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1347331771633967107?s=21

I don’t see why he’d feel the need to change tactics until the book is closed on this in a way that is unsatisfactory

My main point was, people are being unfair for casting doubt on Ray just because every dirty detail isn’t on twitter yet. Especially given how many people (including big names) have co-signed what he is saying.

This is not "every dirty detail isn't on twitter yet", it's that every detail Fisher is giving seems to be completely divorced from reality. There is no indication from anyone but Fisher that "negotiations" are happening. especially when there's a clear "We're done, move on" statement from Warner. There's no indication from anyone but Fisher that Joss Whedon was forced to exit his HBO series because of the investigation. There's no indication from anyone but Fisher that Geoff Johns is on his way out or suffered anything from this investigation at all. There's been lots of indications that Fisher isn't going to be in any DC projects going forth, except from him, and then he attacks the person who wrote an article on it and tries to double back on how the thing he said isn't exactly the thing he said.

I don't think the guy's malicious but he does seem to be extremely bad at this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ruddiger posted:

They only want it to be done because all their lovely practices keep getting more and more exposed.

I’m glad Fisher’s keeping the pressure on them.

What pressure is he applying at this point, exactly, by getting on twitter and saying things that were pretty quickly verified to not be true?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
e: gently caress it maybe I'm the one being weird. I'll drop it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FilthyImp posted:

It's literally the awe and wonder of something new before cold reality and burden come crashing down on you lol.

Yeah it's the awe of feeling like I was watching a good Superman movie before being reminded that it's Man of Steel

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ruddiger posted:

lol they’re including coffee from Jitters, the made up coffee house from the CW DC shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DffynfqqUD4

E: didn’t realize the burgers from Big Belly Burger too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-lC0QjIuWU

Jitters and Big Belly Burger are actually pre-existing chains from the comics!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The idea that the response to "a four hour Justice League movie sounds like a bad idea" is "Well no one's FORCING you to watch it" is mind boggling to me

yeah dog no one's forcing me to watch the Jared Leto Morbius movie either and I will still voice my opinion that it sounds really loving bad

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Primarily that a four hour action movie sounds more exhausting than anything.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

KVeezy3 posted:

So what is the point exactly? That HBO is wasting their money on a worthless endeavor? Who gives a poo poo about that?

I dunno I think that's pretty funny personally

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FilthyImp posted:

Bitching about runtime aside, remember when we all were ready for the pissbreak at the end of Endgame and the studio decided to give us a 5 minute Signature Series goodbye to the Avengers?

I'm quite interested in the behind the scenes stuff with how this went from a mini-series in 4 parts to a legit 4 hour cut. I'm betting HBO Was afraid people would nope out after the first episode.

That'd make sense, It might be that the first thirty or forty minutes are pretty close to the original and there were thoughts about whether or not people would just check out after not seeing sufficient differences but at that point that actually is blind speculation on things we haven't seen I guess.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Roth posted:

Yeah, I largely stopped reading this thread because it feels like people fly off the handle insanely fast. It's weird in contrast to the rest of BSS which feels remarkably chill for a comic book forum.

I dunno I don't think you get to act like you're too good for the thread when you basically admitted to engaging in bad faith posting to deliberately make people upset dude

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think any Batman movie has ever had good looking action which is bizarre for someone primarily known for beating people up

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I absolutely don't get this. You can make Venom work without the context of Spider-Man but loving Kraven?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Bravestarr is the least bad thing fimilation ever made and it was also the last thing they ever made

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah it's definitely way less generic looking but the genericness has been replaced with a style I don't actually like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I wish I felt as compelled to ardently defend anything as the Snyderdome posters who jump into this thread anytime someone mentions the man's name do.

That's not actually a serious comment going into a thread full of people that disagree with me to defend a highly subjective position sounds like a nightmare.