Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Inspired by the death of his beloved friend, CIA Agent Everett Ross takes on the mantle of being the Black Panther

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Oh no, I agree with you! I think Cyborg can be a great character. But no one has ever really given him that push. When I said he's a Marvel chracter in a DC world, I feel like he's a character who has to deal with real personal issues of belonging, self-worth, etc. But that's never the angle other media takes with him. I dunno.

The Teen Titans animated series does a good job with it, albeit that version of the character is significantly more goofy than normal.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/alexdnz/status/1309276986855096321?s=21

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Shirkelton posted:

Martin Scorsese stays winning.

Just now realizing you're Dan Didio and not a completely new poster with the same avatar.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't recognize anyone that thinks Spider-Man 2 is bad

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This scene rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-17z44F6g

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Snyder cut is going to be so loving overstuffed as it is. If the joker is more than just a cameo of Batman punching him once and then going off to do actual plot relevant stuff... just wow.

It's 4 hours long

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Phylodox posted:

I mean, it's entirely possible he had a complete movie ready to go, but now that he's realized he's up against the wall with nothing to lose he might as well go hog wild with the thing and just shoot every single idea he ever had for the movie from the start.

The simpler answer is simply that he's getting more than he thought was possible, so he's going to take advantage of it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

The people praising the Steppenwolf design have the same feeling as a pro Trump twitter bot.

Do we have to do this nonsense?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fangz posted:

I recently saw this two part video series on the Snyder ouvre which I thought was pretty good.

https://youtu.be/DOd6ZYZE5uA

https://youtu.be/gY7EnEuqb7M

It's pretty long, but it does cover multiple movies. It discusses a number of the topics that just came up.

I can't believe you would just put Maggie Mae Fish in my Youtube watch history like this.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think every example here looks goofy as poo poo so maybe the issue is with me.

No, I think all the "Human runs fast enough to catch up with a car" scenes in the MCU look just as dorky as that WW84 scene too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the problem with the Maxwell Lord and the wishes plot is that it ends up neutering Cheetah's plot by proxy. Steve comes back, so any possible romance with Barbara gets halted because it would be weird to have that going on and not address the love interest of the previous movie. Cheetah goes bad out of a convenient excuse of her wish causing her to do it, rather than writing an actual fall from grace.

I generally don't like "I wish the movie had a different plot" style criticism, but I can't help but feel like there could have been an interesting, small scale story about two women in conflict with one another. Add in some queer text/subtext to their relationship, and I would probably be a lot more forgiving of the movie being so long and slow. As is, it feels like the movie escalates to and end of the world scenario for excitement, and both the villains in the movie end up underdeveloped as a result.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I may have been expecting too much, but I just don't feel like there was any meat to the Diana/Barbara relationship.

There's hints of it at the beginning, and it did get my hopes up, but Barbara just ends up feeling left behind by the movie's plot until there's an action scene to be had.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

As a lesbian that Joss Whedon would describe as "thirsty" to my widowed wife, I think if queer readings of film and the people that do them seriously in academia are going to be insulted because a gay dude on SA felt open to a movie having both a queer and a regressive reading, then I would probably laugh and think they need to take their stick out of their rear end.

I'll laugh even harder at the guy pointlessly being a dick to everybody over it in the Something Awful BSS Movie Thread: RIP Chadwick Boseman. Not to mod voice in a section I don't mod, but chill out. It ain't a big deal.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gib Batman Beyond pls

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Verified by who?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Justice League is easy mode

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9047474/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Long movies are cool. I like the Ultimate Cut of Watchmen, the extended editions of Lord of the Rings, Lawrence of Arabia.

I guess in some universe "You're getting a very long movie by a director you like" is a serious gotcha moment and we've all been owned.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

What everyone has to understand is that the indoctrination of Snyder's cult of personality is so complete that things that are usually seen as bad filmmaking decisions are always somehow warped into being good actually, as long as Snyder does it.

If you don't like a character, you just don't get the point because unlikable characters are actually good, you see. That's the point. He did it on purpose!

What's pacing? Films don't need pacing! Just put more film into a film 'cuz more film is good! More films should be four hours long!

I also think it's good when Peter Jackson does it, and more four hour long movie epics would be cool.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Yes the Hobbit absolutely benefitted from being three loving movies. That absolutely was a good thing and not at all something that absolutely ruined it.

Consider if it had been one, four hour long movie instead.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

That would both have been better than what we got and worse than a well-edited film. The original animated Hobbit was an hour and 30 minutes and covered almost everything. Even adding an hour to that would be stretching

Well edited and long are not mutually exclusive.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

While this is true the number of films that go over three hours and are well-edited can probably be counted on one hand with fingers left over.

And? Justice League is not yet out, and while much of this thread thinks a four hour Zack Snyder movie sounds like a slog, I think it sounds rad. By contrast, I found Force Majeure, a movie that is just under 2 hours, a miserable slog that I wish was 30 minutes long.

There is nothing wrong with Zack Snyder, or any filmmaker, making a long movie like this, unless hating said filmmaker is a core part of your identity.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Alternately one could say that there is nothing wrong with pointing out the flaws in that concept unless loving said filmmaker no matter what is a core part of your identity. It is in fact just as lovely to make that accusation.

There's nothing wrong with doing an entire movie in negative too but it is still something that is most likely to be flawed.

Oh don't mind me, I am actually just having a little fun at the expense of the thread regulars that start whining about cultists at the drop of a hat.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

It is a good thing literally nobody said that?

The most likely outcome is that Snyder is given the chance to make a film without having to kill his darlings which is potentially fun but even the best creators know that usually you have to do that for a reason. That does not necessarily mean it will be bad but it certainly is a warning sign that people have understandable reasons to be cautious about.

Like I can say this about a lot of movies. Even movies I love sometimes are reluctant to let things go even when they work against the film as a whole. This is an extremely common criticism of film. Acting like it's being Unfairly Applied To Zach Snyder is being way too weirdly defensive,

It'd be all fine and dandy if it was just "I'm not interested in a four hour movie by a director I don't like" but that was not the framing of the posts we responded to

Monaghan posted:

I am dying to know how the Snyder verse fans will try to spin a 4 hour movie not being a loving slog to get through.

Like do they really think the script was just so jam packed with awesome ideas and there's nothing superfluous to edit out?

Arist posted:

Are you really having this much trouble understanding "it is a bad idea to make your movie four hours long"?

This isn't that. This is "There is an inherent problem with making a movie that long" which was responded to with "No it's not. There are plenty of movies that are that long and also good." It was only after that that it was clarified that they meant Snyder movies exclusively, which oh well I guess?

And then there's this nutcase post about people being indoctrinated to think it's a good idea

BrianWilly posted:

What everyone has to understand is that the indoctrination of Snyder's cult of personality is so complete that things that are usually seen as bad filmmaking decisions are always somehow warped into being good actually, as long as Snyder does it.

If you don't like a character, you just don't get the point because unlikable characters are actually good, you see. That's the point. He did it on purpose!

What's pacing? Films don't need pacing! Just put more film into a film 'cuz more film is good! More films should be four hours long!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Sorry, I meant McCloud, but you do get super bent out of shape too. Reading the two of you(now 4 or 5 I guess) argue as if you had opposing personal stakes in everything Snyder does really drags the thread down.....and it's been pages now. I really wish you guys wouldn't take this poo poo so personally.
It's going to be a long movie, it's perfectly reasonable if you don't enjoy his previous work and are drawn out of overly long movies to speculate that you won't like it. If you do like his stuff and long movies don't bother you then you have nothing to worry about. What the gently caress is the point of trying to convince the other they're wrong?

Yeah, I largely stopped reading this thread because it feels like people fly off the handle insanely fast. It's weird in contrast to the rest of BSS which feels remarkably chill for a comic book forum.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Blockhouse posted:

I dunno I don't think you get to act like you're too good for the thread when you basically admitted to engaging in bad faith posting to deliberately make people upset dude

I do think that one snarky post because people on the same page started moaning about insane cultists is significantly better than the pages of screaming at each other, yeah.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

Silas doesn't die in Justice League.

The bullshit aggressive meme was made in response to people complaining about Cyborg not saying booyah in the Snyder Cut, where Silas does die.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The claims that Ray Fisher has had in his campaign are pretty effectively summed up here

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2562041/ray-fishers-cyborg-a-timeline-of-the-justice-league-controversy-and-his-potential-dceu-exit

Essentially that Joss Whedon was abusive on set, and that Geoff Johns was an enabler of said abuse. Among them was that Geoff Johns threatened Ray Fisher's career for attempting to speak up about Joss Whedon's behavior on the set August last year. He also named Jon Berg as assisting in this enabling behavior, among alleging that Ray Fisher was just upset that they wanted him to say "Booyah!" Fisher was still under an NDA at this point, but emphasized that he would not relent in speaking out what he could.

The investigation gets launched by Warner later in August, hiring a 3rd party to conduct the investigation. Starting in September, Fisher claimed that Walter Hamada attempted to throw Whedon and Berg under the bus with a "deal" that he would relent on Geoff Johns. Ray Fisher obviously did not take that deal, with Warner firing back by claiming it wasn't true and that Ray Fisher was not being cooperative with the investigators, despite Fisher posting proof that he had indeed met with the investigation. Jason Mamoa and Kiersey Clemons then throw their support behind Ray Fisher as well. At this point, Warner apparently announced a fake Frosty the Snowman movie starring Jason Mamoa that was written by Geoff Johns.

Statement from Jason Mamoa

quote:

THIS poo poo HAS TO STOP AND NEEDS TO BE LOOKED AT @ray8fisher AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO EXPERIENCED WHAT HAPPEN UNDER THE WATCH OF @wbpictures NEEDS PROPER INVESTIGATION I just think it’s hosed up that people released a fake Frosty announcement without my permission to try to distract from Ray Fisher speaking up about the lovely way we were treated on Justice League reshoots. #IStandWithRayFisher. aloha j

Fisher made a request that the investigation team be changed because the hired investigator was not interviewing key witnesses about the situation. Come late October and Fisher gave an interview where he alleged that Whedon was responsible for cutting multiple characters played by actors of color, and that he had the skin tone of one actor changed in post production.

December 11th saw the investigation concluding with "remedial action" being implemented. Fisher indicated that some had already happened, and more was on the way. He also indicated that Whedon leaving The Nevers was in part because of the investigation. Following the investigation, Ray Fisher indicated that he would not work with Walter Hamada anymore after Zack Snyder's Justice League, considering him an enabler of the abuse that took place on set, as well as obstructing the Justice League investigation.

He has indicated that he intends to not return regardless of what happens, so long as Walter Hamada remains in charge.

None of this, to me, comes across as vague accusations or attention seeking. Perhaps if you would like insight into every detail of what happened on the Justice League set, then it doesn't go into detail on that beyond that Whedon was abusive. I don't think the specifics matter, but it seems that a large amount of people agreed this was true. As for Berg, Hamada, and Johns, it would seem that they are obviously not being held responsible, and Fisher is not happy with that, prompting his departure.

Now I hope we can move on past this whole "But what if he's just attention seeking?" bit that keeps coming up. Someone said it earlier, but the man is basically torching his career by pissing off a lot of people, as well as giving up a role that was very significant to him. I don't think attention seeking factors into it at that point.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

It's fascinating to me how different Snyder must be in private, because every panel and interview with him, especially regarding this film, makes him seem so condescending and smug and obnoxious. And I have all the sympathy in the world for the tragedy that caused all this, no parent should have that happen.

By all accounts, Zack Snyder is an absolute pleasure to work with.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fangz posted:

Personally I'd wait until *after* the risky multimillion dollar reshoot 4 hour film that all of these people star in and have a lot resting on comes out, to start believing these people's takes on their director. Seems like at this current time there's a pretty massive conflict of interest.

There's a decade plus of accounts.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I haven't been keeping up but has there been an explanation why they brought back the sex pest cultist for this?

Best, optimistic guess is that they are contracted to use Jared Leto if they want to use the Joker at all.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

no and it bugs me since zs was willing to drop chris d'elia and replace him with tig notaro for his army of the dead project

Yeah, this is what's making me assume that it's a studio decision, and he's not allowed to recast Joker.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ideally, I would like for Jared Leto to be shot into the sun.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Karloff posted:

ZSJL has been rated R. Which I don't think really means anything, the BvS extended was a very soft R.

Batman says gently caress. It's gonna be nuts.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It is probably Joker from the Knightmare timeline.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the difference is that Feige acts more like a showrunner with directos more like TV episode directors.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

A lot of the MCU action scenes, particularly climaxes, feel like they just redo the same large army fight over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the sequence with Batman in the warehouse in BvS is really good.

Even when I didn't like the theatrical version I thought it was great.