Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God drat what a terrible way to start a new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Brie Larsen posted this on her Instagram from the CM preimer
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEdRs2wDXFD/

It's really obvious how gaunt he looks. Man, the guy was a legend in so many ways.

This is also going to really piss me off more when someone goes "actually Black Panther is just a psyop to make the CIA look good and faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

Nobody cared about that though. Terrence Howard sucks.

Yea, I don't know why people bring this up as some kind of black mark. They traded up from a pretty middling actor to one of the best actors working today.

But there's probably another fantastic young black actor who could do the part just as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

notthegoatseguy posted:

Cap's shield is made of vibranium. Howard Stark talks about it in Cap 1.

Howard Stark totally stole that Vibranium. Or at least paid someone who stole it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

A gas station near me has had a cardboard display with branding for this movie on it in their store for months. I don't remember what product it holds it but every time I see "WW84" in there I think it's some retro wrestling thing until I remember it's a movie that was supposed to have been released.

I laugh every time at work I see a WW84 branded product, but not as much as all the coke with Olympics plastered all over it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
loving Jang, that's amazing. And I've heard nothing but great things about lovecraft county.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Canadian Shulkie!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Yes please, she's delightful. Just push Kamala into college or something to account for her being a bit older.

My dream is to introduce her to the MCU in the 3rd spiderman.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
According to what I've read that yea, Hahn is playing Agetha Harkness. I mean that makes sense with her being dressed as a witch there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

My theory is that Wanda's powers are either going to uncontrollably evolve into being more like the Reality Stone instead of the Mind Stone, or else they'll just retcon it so that her powers were actually always Reality Stone-based even though she was originally empowered by the Mind Stone, shh just don't think about it too much~

The part where she transfigures the furniture in the room into different styles is definitely straight up reality manipulation.

I could accept they just say that because she was snapped then unsnapped, her powers mutated. Or maybe this is taking place in some unreality when she is snapped, because of her connection to the stones she wasn't just gone, but in that weird place where baby Gamora was?

Paul Betteny is such a good actor, he really should be a bigger star than he is.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd love to see in a future film Fury goes "I let Coulson and his team handle Shield these days, they can take care of whatever comes across their way. I'm more worried about what's out there, and Sword will help me with that".

I still cannot get over what a brilliant move it was to make the Skrulls the good guys in the MCU. The Kree aren't exactly evil, but they're basically America.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Mulan probably did terribly on Disney+ so Disney is taking that as it's not worth putting any other new features on there.

Though I think that it is more likely that 30bux was too much, and there isn't as much interest in the love action remakes as Disney thinks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They're reshooting to insert Superman giving the entire John Galt speech.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'd prefer to never see Hawkman in anything ever again.

Yea, not a fan of that rapey jerk. Hopefully they'll remove the whole thing where he forces Hawkgirl into a relationship because "they're meant to be together". Lol what am I saying? This is DC, they think that is still romantic.

Doing Pheonix is like how Batman keeps doing Dark Knight Returns. It's the best story ever made so we must always do it! Though Marvel would at least be not afraid to have the Shiiar appear in it. But even then, why not Brood? Why not a later story arc? I'd watch a movie of Cable and Hope running through time. It's like how I keep seeing people going "oh they're gonna do X-men Vs Avengers!" yea, no. That is a story that had decades of build up, it didn't just happen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I stand by calling Hawkman Rapey, as he pretty much just gaslights hawkgirl into a relationship and always shits on any relationships she already has when she shows up, and he's always the one to bring it up. Some lovely writer thought this was romantic and for some reason they keep doing it.

And its been around for at least 20 years as it was in the JLA cartoon, though Batman tells Carter to go gently caress himself, which honestly, is what everyone should be doing when he does. Kendra/Shiara/hawkgirl never can have her own life.

And yea, DKReturns has influenced basically every modern Batman in some way, which is probably why I like Begins best out of the Trilogy because it feels more like Year One, though the Tumbler is heavily influenced by the Bat tank. Also Superman is influenced by it too, BvS has panels straight up in the movie. The only reason the government nukes Superman and Doomsday is so they can have that part of DKR in it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

I'm just gonna say that this is not what either rape or gaslighting actually means -- and they also don't mean the same things as each other -- and it's annoying to see them used as big buzzwords like this to sound scary and serious, and leave it at that.

I admit, I haven't read every Hawkman comic there is, but every time Carter shows up he goes to Hawkgirl and says "drop everything, you're coming with me, we're meant to be together" and she just kinda goes "I guess that's right? Time to drop my entire life because some random dude showed up and said we were meant to be together" and it always comes off super creepy and it utterly removes Hawkgirl's agency.

Exactly the kind of poo poo guys who have trouble with the concept of consent would think was romantic.

The only good Hawkman I can think of Kingdom Come where he's just killing loggers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

The cops in the sewers thing was so goddamned stupid.

They were down there for months, but when they get free they have the strength to battle Bane's army of mercs and hardened criminals?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's the 3rd Canadian to be cast in the MCU lately.

Yea, that's pretty much the gold seal of approval right there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think its too hard to believe after Endgame Captain Marvel stayed on Earth and became a popular figure. They'd just have to had a line "Fury asked me to stay" and that's all you'd need.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hulk Smash! posted:

Does anyone have that lol list of "hip young things" that Peter could do in the Amazing movies that some exec came up with? I think it had something like "can we have him be into skateboarding?"

He can eat avacado toast, do a tik tok dance and get teargassed by a cop.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've voiced my criticisms about the Raimi Spider-Mans many times over the last 20 years, and they still remain.

It feels like a movie version of the 60s cartoon. Parker being a wiener nerd who gets bullied because he's smart and likes science. Oh dear god! My job is basically herding teenagers and the idea that someone would get bullied because they are smart and are good at things that will make them successful in life is alien to them. Hell, even when I was a teen you were bullied more do to your economic status than anything besides just physical size.

Mary-Jane's plots are terrible. She should have a life of her own outside of being Parker's girlfriend/object of desire but all her plots feel like some out of touch writer going "I need to add something for the ladies to enjoy" assume women don't enjoy action or excitement. Also she seems very passive, though that's more "womens role in action movies" at the time than anything.

Though the biggest sin is the terrible Green Goblin costume that you can see the stuntman's mouth through the mask and its not moving when he's talking. They never intended these movies to be on DVD.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

She ends every single movie of that trilogy captured by the big bad. I can't remember that ever happening in the comics (granted everything between Gwen dying and Secret Wars is a bit of a blind spot for me)

Say what you want about TASM1/2 (and buddy I'll say plenty), but jesus Emma Stone was a breath of fresh air next to those.

You forgot "annoying the poo poo out of his opponent by never shutting the gently caress up for five seconds" :allears:

also

It was very "90s Hollywood writing for a female character". Less a character than a Mcguffin. MJ was never passive, she was always an active character. I think the best MJ is PS4 Spider-Man's MJ. She doesn't put up with Peter's poo poo AND doesn't just sit on the sidelines!

MCU MJ is a very close second.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think anyone's going to defend how MJ was written in the Raimi films.

Honestly, her poo poo in SM3 is way worse than any of Parkers dancing. Like that was meant to make him look like a doofus, but we were supposed to be invested in her desire to be a actor. I also have no idea what the hell Gwen Stacy was doing in that movie too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I want Parker to be extremely teenage awkward when ever he's around Captain Marvel.

I also really want him and Banner to hang too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vince MechMahon posted:

Spidey would have seen it, it's a sci fi movie from a really long time ago.

He would even get its message.

But Marvel is pretty good at having their heroes keep their masks and helmets on though. The whole HUD shot was crated to show RDJs face while keeping it on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

IUG posted:

Any number of civilians in a 3 square mile radius probably got killed by that orbital bombardment. If you lived through it, and didn't have powers, you'd better be running away from the sudden war zone.

Yea, pretty sure a massive area in upstate New York was obliterated by the battle. Anyone who was there was either in the Avengers or Thanos's army.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If he wants to add sex monsters to his cut he can replace Eisenberg with Kevin Spacey for Lex.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm watching New Mutants, and like its not the best Fox X-men movie but its pretty good so far. It helps Anna-Taylor Joy is a pretty much perfect Illyana. Everyone else pretty much feels on point, with Maisie Williams Raine is actually better than the comic version. It probably didn't help that her comic counterpart was always crying and beating up on herself. In the film she's got a bit more self confidence.

I guess because no one saw it there hasn't been much spoiler discussion around it so I wasn't sure what to expect. But I'm not sure about Limbo just being created by Illyana rather than an actual place that she was taken to as a child as a change, and her just being a teleporter without the stepping disks is a minor nitpick. Raine and Danny being sweet on each other is adorable.

I'd not say it was a horror movie, but its certainly more horrific than any other mainstream comic movie since the Blade movies. Way Reyes a existing character? Wasn't there a super smart mutant who worked with Dr Nemesis by that name?

I really enjoy Iron Man 2, but the criticisms of it are totally accurate. loving Elon Musk, though that's before he was revealed to be a giant chud rear end in a top hat. I always like when Natasha gets introduced to Tony Pepper says "she's a very expensive lawsuit".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vince MechMahon posted:

Did any of the mister sinister stuff make it into the final cut of the movie?

I was waiting for an end credits sequence where he is shown in shadows or something, but nope.

Aphrodite posted:

Cecilia Reyes is an X-Men supporting character, yeah. Not a bad guy like in the movie though.

Okay, and I don't remember her having Sue Storm powers either.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Thor benefited from Iron Man 2 being the test for the shared universe I think.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FlamingLiberal posted:

WandaVision is officially coming out in January.

Trump being dragged out of the white house kicking and screaming and Wandavision? January is going to be a hell of a month.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The gently caress? All that stuff they've been saying will be added to the Synder Cut is only 4 minutes?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I do love how from Thor onward, he is always having indignant things happen to him. I guess they knew right away that someone so handsome having embarassing things happen to Hemsworth made it hilarious.

FilthyImp posted:

He said he's not using any Whedonshots in the film.

4 minutes obviously doesn't count stuff that's been pre-viz'd and he's probably not counting things that were storyboarded or roughed? That's the only way it makes sense to me, as "I always planned for a 10 minute fight with Steppenwulf and the league but here's a few bits where I decided some new poo poo could be useful, 4 minutes worth."

Yea I think what may be happening is there is 4 minutes of new stuff, but everything else is made up of stuff Synder shot, replacing the Whedon stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

rantmo posted:

So how bad is Illyana's inexplicable racism?

Its early on when she is still "gently caress all of you" mode, where she's treating everyone like poo poo.

OnimaruXLR posted:

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1328750606962499584

Does anyone else look at this picture and go "Oh poo poo, he stole Stryfe's armor!" ?

Who thinks this looks good? People who still read Spawn?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The people praising the Steppenwolf design have the same feeling as a pro Trump twitter bot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

How Wonderful! posted:

Knock it off. Dunk on the design if you want but if you're going to say stuff like this you can say it somewhere else.

You're 100% right, that's a lovely way of putting what I was getting at. What I was saying was that a lot of the praise seems to have two aspects, the first being that THIS will prove that DC movies are superior to Marvel movies, and its somewhat cultish. Related is the comments that go "This is a more adult version of the character, gone is the baby disney Whedon version", and that makes me confused on why him being more spikey makes him more adult. Did we miss him having a giant swingin' dong? If they were just going "Whoa that looks cool" or "I like that more than the old JL design" yea go nuts, that's what you like, go for it. It's putting all this extra stuff onto the design that is confusing and makes me think people are seeing more into this movie than there is. Maybe it would have been better "some of these comments remind me of people who still are supporting Star Citizen", but then that's not fair because Synder is going to actually put out a product.

Every time i encounter the "DC movies are for adults, Marvel is for babies" attitude that a very vocal group of people are constantly harping on I get very confused. I figure its like the "you need to have a high IQ to get Rick and Morty" crowd. You're not comparing Jodorowsky to Stuart Gordon here, people.

Oh that's awesome. As others have said, i hope its on Crave. It doesn't have everything HBOMax has, like Harley Quinn isn't on it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

That's because Harley Quinn already had a broadcast deal in Canada from its time on DC Universe.

Anything actually made for HBO Max has been on Crave.

What channel was it on in Canada? I haven't had cable in like 6 years.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

It's on Adult Swim, which has a Canadian solo version that's not just Cartoon Network at night.

I had no idea it was on that. This ads I see for it only mention Rick And Morty and a few classic AS stuff like Birdman and ATHF.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I want to think that it either happens around Halloween or she had a Captain Marvel Halloween costume that she puts on to go on her first adventure. The helmet look home made.

Also i hope that's Bruno, i love Kamala's supporting cast.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Bell has confirmed that WW84 will not be streaming in Canada on Christmas.

After its “standard theatrical windows" were their exact words. WW84 has a shortened theatrical release but that probably still means months.

Doing stuff like this just guarantee's a lot of illegal downloads and cuts into people willing to pay for it. Good job, working hard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay who can H Jon Benjamin play in Deadpool 3?