Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dan Didio posted:

He’s looked very unwell for a while and there’s been a lot of speculation.

I didn’t see the video he shared in April until tonight, but man, he looked awfully thin. gently caress :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

My gut feeling is that Marvel Studios and Coogler won't recast T'Challa, they'll just do a movie centered on Shuri and the supporting characters from the first film. could be totally wrong though.

re: New Mutants, I still want to see it at some point, but it seems like the story of its production and delays are more interesting than the film itself.

basically, the short version seems to be this: Fox execs hated the original cut of the film and ordered a major delay with the intent of doing extensive reshoots, but everything at Fox was in chaos during the 15 months between the announcement of the Disney acquisition and its finalization, so they kept waffling on committing more time and money to the film, leading to further delays, and by the time the merger was finalized and Boone et al. had the green light and cast availability to do reshoots, it had been close to two years since principal photography wrapped and too much of the cast had aged too noticeably for reshoots to be viable. so what's in theaters now is basically identical to what would have been released in April 2018 had the delays not happened and all this was pointless lol

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I am 100% cool with a Shuri movie, but I expect them to cancel BP2 and simply have Shuri and others appear in other characters' movies, unfortunately.

nah, Wakanda as a setting and the supporting characters are more than popular enough to justify a movie and Feige et al are probably smart enough to realize that

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

a day later, my gut feeling is still that Marvel Studios won’t recast. No particularly strong feelings on whether they should or shouldn’t though

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

no news on what Marvel Studios is actually going to do (obviously, given that it's only been a few days), but it's surprising that Boseman was apparently able to keep his diagnosis from everyone at Marvel and Disney

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1301168805759115266

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Arist posted:

Jesus christ The Batman shut down again due to COVID

because Robert Pattinson got it

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/09/robert-pattinson-the-batman-coronavirus

Can't wait to see Tenet in a theater this weekend, oh boy!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Kang as the villain in Ant-Man 3? hopefully not a one-off then

https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/1305540788097490944

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

someone speculated that Majors was cast now so he can appear in Loki, which isn't that implausible given the TVA's involvement and since I haven't heard much to suggest that AM3 is particularly close to starting production, but who knows

anyway, get ready for Black Widow and the rest of the future MCU slate to be delayed yet again, even though I thought half the reason Disney launched Disney+ Premier Access was so they wouldn't have to do that again, but maybe Mulan's performance has been underwhelming on the service, idk

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1305922067141980160

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

site posted:

Love to ardently refuse to put movies on my premium subscription service so I can watch my quarterly profits tank

given how long it’ll be before theaters can return to semi-normal operations, I wonder if they might even consider releasing movies to the standard Disney+ service and forgoing the Premier Access fee. it’d be an extreme loss-leader, I imagine, but these are extreme times and maybe it’d be worth it in the long run to keep people subscribing while preventing further knock-on delays? idk

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Arist posted:

If they go "we're going to put Black Widow and Eternals on regular Disney+," I bet a significant number of people wouldn't bother canceling in between. The problem is that from what I hear Disney+ actually has pretty decent retention numbers already, so they may have already made most of the money they would have there.

yeah, you may be right. their original content has been pretty underwhelming this year and has suffered badly from the delays of the Marvel Studios series, IMO, but then, I'm not a parent

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Arist posted:

They were definitely supposed to have Falcon and Winter Soldier by now, but they absolutely launched too early.

their plan seemed to be to coast on the back catalog for the first seven months of 2020, then have FatWS, Mando S2, and WandaVision pick things up for the last five months of the year, before kicking their originals pipeline into full gear for 2021 and beyond. Weird but not necessarily terrible given the strength of their back catalog, but obviously COVID threw a wrench in things

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm wondering if there will still be theater chains around by the time the next Marvel movie comes out

good question, depends how long they can afford to stay closed or if they do another reopening like they did with Tenet - for, say, No Time to Die or WW84 - that fails. more expensive to keep a theater open when business is bad than it is to keep it closed

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

Rumors have been around for Charlie Cox reprising Daredevil and Bernthal being their Punisher. I'm pretty confident that those two will come back in those roles.

hmm, which rumors are those? I honestly don't see Marvel Studios having any interest in continuing the Netflix continuity even if the bulk of the cast is available, but I could be wrong.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

If Daredevil showed up in say, the next Spider-Man movie, and was played by Charlie Cox, you don't have to go into any sort of origin for him. You don't have to really reference any continuity either. It's just - hey, here's Daredevil again! Now let's go tell some stories with him.

I don't know how good this guy is with rumors, but this seems to be where most of it is from.

https://www.geekositymag.com/post/scoop-discussions-with-charlie-cox-as-daredevil-expected-in-december

never heard of that site so taking it with a massive grain of salt.

anyway, it's not impossible or anything, but it's hard for me to see why Marvel Studios would bring back the Netflix actors if they're not interested in continuing the Netflix continuity, and it's even harder to see why they'd do that instead of rebooting the characters in a fashion more tonally in line with the MCU proper. but who knows, stranger things have happened

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I think a problem with her is that she already has a prior commitment for the TV series Miracle Workers and while she's not a big of a name as her costars she is the lead. A Marvel role would obviously be a bigger part but there's the problem of Marvel not having a great track record when it comes to actually doing TV stuff. Yes those failures weren't Disney + shows but I could still see someone with a steady gig being a little gunshy.

she’s also 25 which might be older than Marvel Studios wants for someone who’s presumably going to be playing a teenager for a few years. Granted, that hasn’t stopped Hollywood before

and afaik, she’s ethnically Indian rather than Pakistani, which may or may not be a concern

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 20, 2020

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Supposedly there's confirmation that two characters from Black Widow are indeed in Falcon and the Winter Soldier and the show won't drop until after the film now for sure.

good chance this is true, but source?

anyway, Loki has reportedly resumed production so decent chance that's still coming early next year, at least

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

That's the 3rd Canadian to be cast in the MCU lately.

Yea, that's pretty much the gold seal of approval right there.

Good on Marvel if they arranged that meeting, given that I don’t think Wilson is that closely involved with the show

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm glad Inhumans is getting a second season via Ms Marvel.

this is probably just a joke, but there's no indication that the Royal Family characters are in this, outside some old rumors. though I do expect Marvel Studios to reboot those characters eventually

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I'm guessing that Foxx returning, bizarre as it is, is no more multiverse-related than JK Simmons returning as JJJ. could be wrong though

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

hmm I guess Foxx (and Simmons?) returning might be multiverse-related after all, we'll see

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

What does this actually mean? I really hate reading corporate press releases.

I assume there will be more MCU Disney+ projects announced at the Dec. 10 investor day as part of this prioritization of Disney+.

I would also guess that, behind the scenes, some MCU projects that were originally in development as theatrically released films are going to be shifted to Disney+, whether reworked into TV series or otherwise.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Disney has really done a poor job of running Disney+. They launched it with almost all old content and almost nothing new. Their plans for future content were also way out in the future.

They seem to be doing fine as far as subscriber numbers go, but it’s fairly clear that their originals pipeline wasn’t supposed to shift into full gear until 2021. how much of that still happens given COVID production delays remains to be seen, though it seems like the Disney+ MCU shows that wouldn’t potentially spoil Black Widow are moving ahead

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

On the MCU side, the only thing covid delayed was Falcon and Winter Soldier.

They had planned all along for none of the MCU TV shows to be up for the entire first year.

Falcon was supposed to premiere in August, which is within the first year. WandaVision also *may* have been supposed to premiere slightly earlier (I can’t recall if it was ever specified beyond TBA 2020), but only slightly if so.

Production on Loki was shut down as well, and presumably some of the production start dates for series that hadn’t started filming in March (Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk) were also pushed back. There’s a decent chance we’re still getting Loki early next year, but 2021 may be pretty sparse after that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Black Widow getting delayed to next May is going to push a lot of stuff back

As far as theatrical release dates go, obviously. As far as interconnected MCU plot/character continuity and Disney+ series go, it's far from clear that it would directly affect anything besides (according to rumor, anyway) FATWS; it's a prequel about a character who's already dead in present MCU continuity, not Endgame. I guess most likely Hawkeye, but as that hadn't started production, it could in theory be rewritten to remove anything that might spoil Black Widow.

My prediction for now (half just because I want it to be true, only half because I actually believe it, I could be wrong) is that there will not be a third theatrical delay for BW, and that Disney will give up and just put it on Disney+ if a theatrical release doesn't look viable by mid-March or whatever the deadline for deciding that is. Which it almost certainly won't.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Disney has said that Falcon and the Winter Soldier had to be delayed because of the Black Widow delay because they have a connection

Disney definitely hasn't confirmed that, at least I'm 99% certain they haven't, it's just rumor (albeit rumor that is very likely true imo)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

now, it *is* entirely possible that, say, Loki features appearances by Eternals characters (I haven't seen this rumored anywhere, mind you, it just seems like a plausible enough place for them to show up) and will now have to be delayed until sometime after November 2021, but that wouldn't directly be a result of the Black Widow delay, it's just part of the overall knock-on effects

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Soonmot posted:

I'll probably check it out when it hits D+, but otherwise ugh

I wouldn't expect it to ever be on Disney+, it's too TV-MA for their brand

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, Helstrom was going to be the lead into the Adventure Into Fear or whatever the supernatural Marvel initiative was called that was also going to give us Ghost Rider, but that got axed when Marvel TV did. The series is a mountain of subplots to set up for things that won't ever happen and it also operates under the train of thought that too much comic book stuff can scare the straights which I'm going to blame Jeph Loeb for because I can.

IDK how much Loeb is to blame for it personally, but that was definitely a recurring problem with Marvel Television's live-action output (though AoS and Runaways at least somewhat backed away from it after their first seasons). makes me glad that we're done with that poo poo

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 19, 2020

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

McCloud posted:

I still feel the movie would have been stronger if they'd made Stark Sr an rear end in a top hat that stole ideas from Vankos father. It's rumored this was the original pitch that later got changed because they didn't want one to paint one of the main characters in that Agent Peggy spin off as a bad guy

I get the feeling that Age of Ultron had similar story meddling, namely that Whedon wanted to make Stark/Banner unambiguously responsible for the creation of Ultron in the same way that Pym is in the comics, but the final script severely muddies things with the implication that the Ultron AI also came from HYDRA's experiments and/or from the Mind Gem itself.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

there wasn't much news from the Disney earnings call, which isn't surprising given that they have the Disney+-focused Dec. 10 investor day that's more likely to deliver on that front, but Chapek did confirm that Mulan and Disney+ Premier Access weren't a one-off (which is interesting, given that some had assumed that releasing Soul on the standard Disney+ subscription tier meant that they saw it as a failure) and that there would be more news next month. so I guess that could be good news for anyone hoping to see Black Widow before next fall or whenever a vaccine is widely available

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The Dave posted:

They killed Go, there's just HBO and HBO Max. The former is the mobile companion for your HBO subscription and the latter is standalone with all of that plus exclusive content.

yeah, Go/Now/Max made for considerable branding confusion so they simplified things

Vandar posted:

Your move, Disney. Give us Black Widow now. :colbert:

wait for their Dec. 10 investor day, fingers crossed. they have a lot of options (Premier Access as with Mulan, standard Disney+ as with Soul, simultaneous theatrical/Disney+ as with WW84, theatrical release followed by Disney+ a month or less later as WB was reportedly considering for WW84)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I like it in concept, but much like in comics, Carol barely ever wears that mohawk look so I don't feel like it'd be popular in-universe.

Whatever though, Kamala's a fangirl, she'd probably be totally aware of the helmet look and into it.

if you want to nitpick, the idea of anyone being a Carol fangirl in the MCU doesn't really make a ton of sense since Carol has barely been active on Earth that we know of since 1995 and wasn't that public even then, but then again Brie Larson will probably actually be appearing on this show so they should be able to address that somehow

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

We have no major insight to what happens between the Snap and Endgame. We know Carol's been working with the Avengers. I think they mention she rescued a sunken sub or something? She saved the life of Tony Stark. She blew up Thanos' war ship. She turned the tide of the entire end battle. I don't think its even remotely hard to imagine that she'd be a massive celebrity and some kids would fangirl her hard. I'm guessing there were a million cameras recording that burst of energy that shot through Thanos' ship. And can you imagine the media blitz on everyone and everything after that battle?

yeah there are a lot of possible ways to address this, to be fair. although that last point gets at one of my gripes with Endgame, which was that the climactic battle at no point feels like it's taking place on the planet Earth as opposed to a generic desolate CG landscape like the Titan fight in Infinity War, though I know the script says it has to be taking place in upstate New York

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

howe_sam posted:

This is basically Warner having zero confidence in the US movie market rebounding next year and relying on foreign markets/HBO Max subs to keep them afloat?

Yes, but beyond the short term, it means that they see HBO Max subscriptions as their most important revenue stream going forward (at least in the US) and that the loss of box office revenue is worth it in the long run if it gets subscriber numbers up.

it's also just not tenable for studios to keep delaying their entire release slates for months and months while they wait for something resembling normal moviegoing to resume in the US - not only are we a ways away from that point even with promising vaccine results, but there's already a massive backlog of delayed films originally dated for 2020 and earlier in 2021, which is only going to keep growing as film production has largely resumed.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 3, 2020

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I hope Disney just puts their stuff on Disney+ now too.

their investor day a week from today is going to be very interesting, that's for sure. the most recent reporting I've seen from the Hollywood trades suggests that they're considering releasing Cruella and a few others from their 2021 slate on Disney+, but that they're still deluding themselves with respect to Raya, Black Widow, etc. we'll see if that's the case or if they're finally ready to embrace reality

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

tbh I'm not really that enthusiastic about the live-action Spider-Verse, just tell a drat Spider-Man story in the MCU ffs

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

while I'm sure there will be other Marvel Studios news to come from Disney's investor day tomorrow and this article doesn't offer any details in that regard, the NYT is reporting what I had expected regarding Black Widow: that there will be no Disney+ announcement, and that for now, Disney is keeping it on its current May 7 release date as a theatrical exclusive.

emphasis on "for now"; I feel comfortable in predicting that this is a fantasy and that COVID vaccination rates and general audience behavior in the US won't be anywhere near where they'd need to be for that to be viable in only five months from now, but I guess they can put off making that decision until March or so. Sigh.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ugh, why. Not McAdams' fault, but possibly the least interesting, most underwritten love interest in the MCU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Marvel Studios news coming up at... some point in the next two and a half hours. Disney said earlier that there were 10 Marvel Studios series coming to Disney+ over the next couple years, though I think that's only two more than they've announced to date.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-investor-day-2020/

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

sounds to me like this is being rushed into production so that it can wrap before filming starts on Rogue Squadron, hope I’m wrong

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1343258833309691904?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

having watched WW84 yesterday, I find myself agreeing with most of the criticisms I’ve seen of it over the past few days (too long, racist, an inert performance from Gadot, inconsistent internal logic, unclear character motivations, etc)... and yet I actually kinda enjoyed it? I dunno