Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I like everyone else in the Black Panther movie but I really do not want to watch a Black Panther movie without the Black Panther in it.

FilthyImp posted:

Also reminds me about how hosed the Howard>Cheadle recast was.

Nobody cared about that though. Terrence Howard sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Recasting the lead in a sequel is usually not received well. At all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Again I say: I don't want to see a sequel to Black Panther where the main character is not in it. This isn't like comics where we had years and years of stories and the mantle can be passed, we had 1 movie where there was a solid arc that had an ending that lent itself very obviously to further exploration of this central character. Having him die offscreen and having someone else take up the mantle would be absurd in a movie that's meant to be a direct sequel. They can have that happen in the background of an Avengers movie or something, and then after that maybe give this new Panther their own movie. But Black Panther 2 (not featuring Black Panther) would be as interesting as Spider-man Home Again: Spider-man Does Not Appear In This Film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just think they won't make new Black Panther movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

If it were Ant-Man or Black Widow I'd be inclined to agree. But Black Panther was such a culturally significant film and boon to Marvel/Disney that I can't see them just pushing all of Wakanda to the side.

Yeah but the narrative of the movie rested so heavily on T'Challa. There's no good way to go forward without him in a direct sequel, and immediately recasting him would feel crass and weird. The solution they'll probably go with is feature Wakanda prominently in a non-Black Panther movie, where they'll address what happened to him and who will take up the mantle, if anyone. Kinda like what they've been doing with Hulk, where he's still around doing stuff but he no longer gets his own movies.

And I'm sorry Shuri fans, but I think M'Baku is like 100 times more likely to be the next Black Panther because he's by far the fan favorite of that movie after T'Challa and Killmonger, and he has as much claim to it by the rules of the movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

I really don't see a scene in which mbaku beats the crap out of Shuri to take the mantle of BP from her winning over audiences tbh.

Why would they fight over it, Shuri didn't want that job in the first place.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's about a verse made of spiders.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Russos are pretty open about the fact that no one knew exactly what they were going to do with Thanos until they sat down and wrote infinity war. They just knew they wanted to use him at some point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No matter how you justify it narratively it still comes across like he spent decades sitting on his rear end before getting even a single stone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Howard Stark totally stole that Vibranium. Or at least paid someone who stole it.

Really wish they'd stuck with "Your industrialist dad was a bad person" in Iron Man 2 instead of making it a big misunderstanding.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, I don't have cancer and I couldn't do that poo poo if you put a gun to my head.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

You couldn't pay me enough to take that DC job

Are you kidding, I would pay everything I own for the chance to Chaos Dunk that company.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I dunno why you guys keep saying "they", for no reason at all the same idiot was given both Phoenix movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Sure sure but the cops in the sewers was so goddamned stupid.

Yeah everything around that was terrible and terribly shot. Especially since the movie opens with the cops kind of being bad for locking up people with less due process and spend most of the movie antagonizing Batman. Movie should've leaned into cops sucking even more to make Bane's criticisms of the system have more bite (and remind us why Bruce didn't just become a cop).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He did a very bad job. But the movies were also bad for other reasons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I see zero% of Spider-man or Peter Parker in Tom Holland's performance.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

nemesis_hub posted:

I don’t really agree with the idea that Peter should be depicted as a stereotypical nerd. For me Garfield comes closest to my ideal depiction despite the bad movie around him. He should be offbeat, a bit of an outsider, but not pathetically inept or awkward. My ideal Spider-Man movie would be snappy and cool, but not in the cloying, focus tested way where execs try to bandwagon onto stupid teen trends.

Peter is a scrawny science nerd, not a skateboarding weirdo with a 200 dollar haircut.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

nemesis_hub posted:

Why should we cling to an archetype from 1962? Do you think Iron Man movies should be about Elon Musk fighting communists in the jungle?

I don't know, maybe because it's the core of the character? I'm not asking for him to dress like that and talk about wheatcakes or go to the hopscotch or whatever, I just think being a shy nerd who gets picked on is a pretty timeless thing, and the interest in science is directly tied to his crime fighting. Bullying still exists, in case you weren't aware, and Spidey's whole thing is being relatable because of his real human problems, dealing with bullying being one of them. Him being some kind of above-it-all outsider just didn't work, and it was one of the many baffling choices in the film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't think anyone's going to defend how MJ was written in the Raimi films.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wait people don't like the dancing?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

I don't recognize anyone that thinks Spider-Man 2 is bad

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Aunt May from the Raimi Spider-Man movies hasn't held up well with the reinterpretations being much better.

Vastly incorrect takes itt.

Shirkelton posted:

The first two Spider-Men movies are just really good, really well-made movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

It's gonna be ironic/ very sad when the real world catches up to the MCU after they had a time jump.

Hey I'd love for the consequences of this pandemic to be completely glossed over and underdeveloped like the beginning of Endgame.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Fangz posted:

I guess I just think back to all the superhero movies ruined by trying to jam in too many villains (i.e. Spiderman 3) and wondering how that would work if you are doing that and also trying to jam in character development for a full superhero team at the same time.

If a 41 page comic and 24 minute tv show managed to make the Sinister Six work I don't see why a movie couldn't.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Literally the only problem with superhero movies that have too many villains is the pile of origin stories and conflicting story threads that jumble together, if they are all on the same team and do not get stupid origin stories there is no problem. The lack of imagination in this thread is embarrassing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pratt is no good but I still like Star-lord.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm now convinced Zack Snyder is trying to make a movie so terrible and ugly it makes the end of In The Mouth of Madness come true.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Kalibak, Darkseid's son would've made more sense.

Yeah he looks way cooler and is mildly more recognizable. No matter how you slice it though, going from LEX LUTHOR AND DOOMSDAY to "a Darkseid henchman" is a very weird call. Just have it be Darkseid who cares.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

But his original cut he always talked about was 2.5 hours long. I would assume that already included anything Whedon used. So again, where is that extra hour and a half of footage to make it 4 hours coming from if he only shot 4 minutes of new stuff?

Just an incredible amount of slow motion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Time travel can't exist because time doesn't exist it's just a limitation of how we view things.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/lukegranders/status/1330952459607535618

People love to ask Gunn 'well how would YOU know?' on things he's working on.

I cannot tell you how much it saps my lifeforce to see Snyder fans in the replies trying to troll James Gunn because they're still mad his movie might ruin the DCEU by not being garbage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Did the person who positively reviewed the Croods happen to have the words "super" and "mecha" in their name?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lunatic Sledge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8HAOF0_BR4

that said I don't remember if Superman making any effort at all not to murder people is ever actually addressed, outside of his big man yell when he executes Zod

whoever said he's just down with murder after the first movie might have nailed it I dunno I did a lot of drinking during Batman vs Superman

In Spider-man 2 you can piledrive someone off the empire state building. For reference, if you let spidey fall that far in-game he dies, and that's with his superpowers and without landing head first.

But you know, it's a video game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Even then the episode with Joe Chill is up there with Heart of Ice in terms animated Batman shows.

And yeah Aquaman is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSdEZbJCiDQ
It's weird how we all treat Aquaman as a joke and yet since the 00s most of his depictions have been great

You clearly haven't read any of the myriad comics desperate to make the reader take him seriously, which are the most embarrassing depictions of all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm immediately hostile to more video essayists who talk about nerd poo poo. We're good, thank you!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

"And it's all oxygen down there but there's a bubbly filter and everyone's hair turns into a bad cg effect"

"Yeah right!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This move makes perfect sense to me considering that Disney has spent the last decade slowly absorbing the entire theater infrastructure indirectly and that theaters are probably on their way out covid or not. I'm not really a fan of WB but I don't see this as a bonehead move at all. It's a calculated risk at worst.

Endless Mike posted:

Good. Maybe theaters can make it worth going to them since they have to compete with not doing that.

What's that, jack up the prices on snacks and underpay the staff more to increase the profit margins? You got it!

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 3, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's every conspiracy theory.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Honestly I think this'd qualify if it got enough coverage, but if the media is wise it won't because it'd just reinforce the idea that anti vaxxing is "something people are talking about more and more".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

letitia deleted her account so i guess things did not go well behind the scenes