Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Excellent OP. Questionable movies.

Guess it depends on whether Black Widow is released on Disney+ but Birds of Prey may end up being the only 2020 Marvel or DC movie I see this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I thought the thread title was going to be a joke reference to some weird-rear end post...

There's never a good cancer but that one seems especially harsh. drat. Just really shocking and sad news. What a loss.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Surely some of the directors would have known. I imagine you have good days and bad days (or bad days and worse days :smith:) and that would be hard to hide or make excuses for during the entirety of a movie shoot...?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

I'd have figured they'd want to hold back on the time travel for a while after Endgame but whatever I guess.

At this rate the movie won't be out for a while yet.

And while it might be too soon, this feels like trying to acknowledge the consequences of time travel or doing a First Contact thing where using time travel alerts others to the Avengers.

Though the movies don't have to be heavy on time travel. Kang could initially appear from another time and then just stick around and try to conquer everything without anybody going to and from different times.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

Kang will give a grand speech about who he is and Langs gavial expressions will be priceless.

Huh, learn something new everyday.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Occurs to me I don't know much about Kang. Never came across him in comics except for young Kang in the original Young Avengers run. Haven't read too many Avengers or FF where he would have shown except for many years ago reading the original Lee/Kirby stuff. I know the gist but it's not like other major villains that have been used where I have a sense of what's a good adaptation or not.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

I can highly recommend Avengers Forever and the Kang Dynasty story arc (both by Kurt Busiek) if you want good Kang stories,

Yeah, maybe once I've gone through my Ultimate Spider-Man/Miles Morales binge to prep for the upcoming game I will go through those stories. Although I also have Court of Owls to read so I know what's going on in that upcoming game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Daredevil had issues but an adaptation should nail the characters first and foremost and I loved Murdock, Nelson, and Fisk. I would keep coming back for them. Charlie Cox was perfect.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You can build a decent superhero team out of the characters Canadian actors play.

She-Hulk
Shang-Chi
Wasp
Maria Hill
Mantis

Strength, martial arts, flight, funding, secret agent skills and SHIELD connections, mental powers.

And then there's the biggest one but Deadpool is Fox and not MCU.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wonder how many heroes have stories about their blood. Cap definitely does. Arguably both the highest and lowest points in all of Spider-Man's history has to do with his blood. The Master Planner Saga kicks off because of a transfusion for Aunt May and then obviously the Clone Saga is self-explanatory.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I find it funny that the comics had decades to build up the potential weirdness of their relationship but in the movies the sum total of their relationship is maybe ten minutes of screentime? I know comics-to-movies always have a strong recency bias but the leap they're doing here seems big. But in a good way. Weird is good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shirkelton posted:

It kind of sucks and feels a little weird, but I did think Bettany and Olsen did a pretty good job of selling it with the very small amount of time they had.

As a comics fan it's great to have movies for action spectacle but it's better to have TV shows to explore the characters and slice-of-life aspects and minutiae. So while a part of me wanted more big budget CG for The Adventures of Hex Lass and Mister Intangible, I'm totally down for a quirky character drama exploring various genre styles and tropes that the movies would be too... boring/restrained to ever do.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That sentence starting with "Snyder Cut fans" ended way better than I thought it would.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

Lex killed his dad.

LoL he's Bald-Man

A bald man crashed through a window in Luthor's study?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I guess if she's truly a newcomer there's nothing to evaluate her on but she sounds pretty good. Keep forgetting that this is supposed to be a series. I feel like that will serve her character so much better for her to start out, especially if they do reference Captain Marvel because the meta effect of the former being in a TV show and the latter being in a movie helps sell her looking up to Carol.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tom Holland can dance. Jamie Foxx can dance. We know how the final battle is going to go get down.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I see zero% of Spider-man or Peter Parker in Tom Holland's performance.

The "Avengers" bank heist is where MCU's Spider-Man was at its best. The rest of the time MCU Spider-Man isn't really being intentionally funny, but accidentally so.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know, maybe because it's the core of the character? I'm not asking for him to dress like that and talk about wheatcakes or go to the hopscotch or whatever, I just think being a shy nerd who gets picked on is a pretty timeless thing, and the interest in science is directly tied to his crime fighting. Bullying still exists, in case you weren't aware, and Spidey's whole thing is being relatable because of his real human problems, dealing with bullying being one of them. Him being some kind of above-it-all outsider just didn't work, and it was one of the many baffling choices in the film.

Peter is a nerd but I don't buy him as shy or mega dorky the way Tobey was. Being a nerd or getting picked on high school is relatable but there are lots of different types of nerds and lots of reasons why someone would be bullied or outcast in school, especially if the students mostly grew up together through earlier grades.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aside from his general demeanor and sense of humour style the one thing that helped define Peter for a long time was the chip on his shoulder. He had an angry edge to him often when things weren't going his way and thought things were unfair. It's not just circumstances or misunderstandings that cause problems for him, sometimes he's actually a bit of a dick! It's why the spider powers went to his head. You hate to see him act that way when it happens but it also makes him so much more real and relatable. They've filed down that edge since and most adaptations and newer versions make him more of a golden boy. In the movies I think the only time you really see it is the "I missed the part where that's my problem" part of the very first movie.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 3, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not yet 24 hours old but I'm shocked no one brought this up in the thread yet:

Michael B. Jordan to Produce 'Static Shock' Movie

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guardians 1 and 2 are still basically Star Lord movies. For both heroes or villains movies can have a ton of characters but they will follow one or two. Sinister Six will be about Dr. Octopus or Osborn or Vulture and the rest will be along for the ride. Brotherhood of Evil Mutants is Magneto's team. Comic book fans are the ones least able to imagine comic book movies because they are attached to the characters before they ever appear on the screen and feel the characters need equal weight and attention and respect when they do appear but it rarely if ever works that way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

theironjef posted:

Gonna wait til I hear it from Disney after the Maslany thing.

Aw man, I didn't know that until your post. Just a rumour, dang.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Where do the FF go to earn their adventurer cred? Ant-Man and the Wasp have laid claim to the micro, the Avengers have dabbled in time travel and other universes, as apparently will Dr. Strange and Spider-Man, Black Panther has already been established, and you've got cosmic stuff pretty well covered so far with Captain Marvel and Thor and the Guardians. Where can they boldly go where no superhero has gone before? Negative Zone?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thor?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you're gonna cast for the Fantastic Four why not use a successful foursome team of actors with proven chemistry?

They even come with a bonus Mole Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Just a random thought but back in the day Paul Walker would have made a killer Torch.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I didn't mind the invisible part, I just thought it was weird that that plane was fully fueled and somehow flew directly from DC to Egypt or they just skipped over the part where they had to invisibly land and steal fuel from somewhere.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SlimGoodbody posted:

The longer the movie went on, the more people seemed to just instantly teleport to whatever place the plot needed them to be irrespective of location or time of day or the fact that you can't get jet fuel at a gas station

The weirdest travel part to me was when she learned how to fly and was soaring through the clouds for a while and then started swinging via thunderbolts but all of that was just to get across town.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think this is the first official word from Feige on this

https://twitter.com/ign/status/1348675918445867010?s=21

Pretty interesting and hilarious if the X-Men will be (and therefore already are?) implicitly part of the MCU via Deadpool.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

After growing up in Depression-era Brooklyn it's actually a miracle Cap utters any words that aren't expletives.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is how I see existing MCU movies if we're just assuming this retroactive continuity.

"Out on the town having the time of my life with a bunch of X-Men. They're all just out of frame, laughing too."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The X-Men live way up in north Westchester. All of their adventures have been contained there so the world just hasn't heard about them. Magneto has been mostly ransacking antique shops.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was not expecting these episodes to be entirely the old sitcom and that's part of why I've been so impressed with Olsen in the role. She acts like a modern person but also really turns it on as the TV wife. Sitcoms are in the Olsen blood I guess.

As Gaz-L basically said, Hanh is perfect for this but that's not surprising. Had to laugh when Debra Jo Rupp showed up as well because if you want sitcom experience and selling the notion of sitcom she's a perfect choice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Codependent Poster posted:

If there's a 90s then I imagine it has to be like Full House.

With this lead actress you pretty much have to.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

At four hours long it's only loosely a "cut."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh that golden suit was from the comics? Gotta hand in my BSS Movie Thread membership card I guess.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr Hootington posted:

You have never read Kingdom Come?

I have not. Haven't read many of the big DC events, really.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm waiting for that DC comics subscription to become available in Canada later this year and then I can go to town. I've read my fair share of Superman, Batman, GL, and Flash over the years but yeah, not a lot of their big/event/crossover/famous miniseries comics.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

Did you already have that on hand or did you make it?

Not sure which would be worse.

To be fair, "Superman should smile more!" is something that comes up in almost every Man of Steel discussion. That image is probably as old as the film.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fitting that a service bringing you food while you enjoy your comic book superheroes would be named after a mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maria Rambeau out on the sidewalk with a makeshift plywood stand and a handpainted sign "sentient artifact investigation, 10¢"