Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Japan’s actions in China during WWII were pretty loving bad, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Malkina_ posted:

Japan’s actions in China during WWII were pretty loving bad, too.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Nice post AV combo.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What about the sea peoples?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
yeah in terms of sheer breadth i think the British Empire may have been Peak Evil and we're just grasping at trying to reclaim that (un-)greatness again

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

EA

animist
Aug 28, 2018

eSports Chaebol posted:

yeah in terms of sheer breadth i think the British Empire may have been Peak Evil and we're just grasping at trying to reclaim that (un-)greatness again

Make Anglos Genocidal Again

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The Bloodrock Orc clan, OP. Noooograh!

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

eSports Chaebol posted:

the anglo is a debased creature whose primitive minds have little room for thought or feeling but a boundless appetite for cruelty. no one could hope to surpass them.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

fabergay egg posted:

the anglo is a debased creature whose primitive minds have little room for thought or feeling but a boundless appetite for cruelty. no one could hope to surpass them.

anglos are the worst phenotype of that most execrable species, the homo sapiens

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Nazi Germany - - Malkina_ (Context: "Nazi Germany was inspired by the Louisiana Purchase")
Nazi Germany - - Stairmaster (Context: "which was deeply inspired by american colonialism" )
^^^^^ Less Evil ^^^^^
==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ====
America
no - Shima Honnou
Itt people confusing Total Units of Damage Done with Total Units of Evil Society. - thehandtruck
vvvvvv More Evil vvvvvv

Mongols - - ASAPRockySituation, and Jewel Repetition
Belgian - - Sharkopath
British - - lorn Wayne
Babylon - - Impkins Patootie
carcosa - - SpaceGoku
Iran - - net cafe scandal
China - - net cafe scandal
Russia - - net cafe scandal
North Korea - - net cafe scandal
Mad Max 3 - - Endorph
Cuba - - a few DRUNK BONERS
Britain - - Crowsbeak
Rome from 150bc-150ad - - Crowsbeak
Assyria - - Crowsbeak
Atlantis - - Dreddout
funeralopolis - - Moam
The Assyrians - - Congo Jack
ottoman empire as a part of Rome - - rabble rabble
Belgium between 1865 and 1909 - - Gringostar
Spain - - Alhazred
Dutch - - Filthy Hans
Timur's empire - - Lawman 0, and Herstory Begins Now
immediate post-reconquestia spain - - lawman 0
all crusader states - - Lawman 0
Japan’s actions in China during WWII - - Malkina_
The Bloodrock Orc clan, OP. Noooograh! - - Symthe

Anglos - - animist
Humanity - - MysteriousStranger

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Aug 30, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Stringent posted:

Good point yeah, as far as pure evil goes I think the Belgians are the real world leaders.

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/father-hand-belgian-congo-1904/

as a brit i hear about the belgians a lot but is there anything they did that the british empire didn't?
i don't know a whole lot about it but collective punishment is up there with divide and rule for fundamentals of empire

but as a serious answer to the OP question: all empires are evil, so it just comes down to size. The main power of states and the only thing that lets them exist is the inhuman level of violence and cruelty they can inflict, magnitudes more than any individual or group, and an empire is a state of states.

is an empire that oppresses a million people 1000x as evil as an empire of 1000? or at least moreso?
if so i'd say the british empire and its successor state, the american empire are currently fighting for the title of most evil society in history

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Malkina_ posted:

The only reason why Francisco Franco, a self-admitted fascist, did not join the Axis in WWII is because their country was just destroyed by a civil war with the communists (funded by Stalin) — Franco received significant financial and military aid from Nazi Germany & Italy in doing so. Without the communists burning down most of fascist Spain, the latter most likely would have joined the Axis, which would have made invading the Atlantic wall of Nazi-occupied Europe essentially impossible, thus enabling the victory of Nazi fascism.

So yeah, the communists saved us once again.

Hitler, swearing in his bunker before he shoots himself: Ach! If only I had another Italy to protect me!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Communist Thoughts posted:

as a brit i hear about the belgians a lot but is there anything they did that the british empire didn't?
i don't know a whole lot about it but collective punishment is up there with divide and rule for fundamentals of empire

that's a good question, and i think it basically splits on your personal views about actively participating in atrocities versus setting up atrocious circumstances and letting the chips fall where they may.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
When the Congolese got independence from Belgium they Belgians systematically destroyed all the infrastructure they had built to gently caress over the Congolese. Really vindictive poo poo

Anyway Vlad the Impaler was pretty cool right?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Stringent posted:

that's a good question, and i think it basically splits on your personal views about actively participating in atrocities versus setting up atrocious circumstances and letting the chips fall where they may.

its not really about that for me, the british were extremely active participants too.
i'm not sure if its what you're referring to but the idea of the british empire being hands off and mainly doing evil through neglect is british mythmaking. it was the classic brit combo of neglect and active incompetent evil (in that the evil occurs very effectively but the intended effect aside from cruelty almost always backfires)

during the amazingly named "sepoy mutiny" aka the first indian war for independence the brits tied people to cannons and blew them to peices, forced them to drink human blood before executing them, torturing them with hot knives and tearing their genitals off etc hanging and raping whole villages, classic empire stuff.

during this period this was being reported in the press but the british press loved it, since they'd whipped themselves into a frenzy over stories of indian men raping white women.
all the newscasters becoming blood drunk psychopaths should be pretty familiar to anyone who was alive in 2003
all the prestige newspapers in britain today can be found running blood curdling imperial pieces about how the lesser races must be killed or tortured occasionally to keep them in line

when the brits were forced out of these places they burned and destroyed all the records of the empire
the british have never owned up to anything they did, in fact talking about it is seen as outright dangerous

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 14:14 on Aug 30, 2020

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

but as a serious answer to the OP question: all empires are evil, so it just comes down to size. The main power of states and the only thing that lets them exist is the inhuman level of violence and cruelty they can inflict, magnitudes more than any individual or group, and an empire is a state of states.

is an empire that oppresses a million people 1000x as evil as an empire of 1000? or at least moreso?
if so i'd say the british empire and its successor state, the american empire are currently fighting for the title of most evil society in history

Ideologically the worst are America, Nazi Germany, Israel, Saudi Arabia, and North Korea

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
And India holy poo poo

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Malkina_ posted:

And India holy poo poo

seeing Modi literally cribbing from Israels notes lately was some real :crackping: poo poo

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I really like the letter that Charles the V sent to like Cortez asking him why the gently caress he was abusing his new subjects that by right should be treated like those in Spain and Germany and Cortez basically responds that the only reason people would come to New Spain is if they were allowed to abuse the Mexica for profit.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

does Bowser govern a nation; to what is the Koopa King

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Smythe posted:

The Bloodrock Orc clan, OP. Noooograh!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Let's flip it, has any society ever not been evil

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mayor Dave posted:

USSR

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mayor Dave posted:

the Minoan civilization

the only western classical civilization that didn't honor military might above other virtues

they really liked to party and most of their art reflected that, as opposed to the battle commemorations, statues of generals, and general bloodthirsty arts of their neighbors

they weren't militant and were big on forging relations through trade

I don't remember how the civilization declined, maybe they turned as lovely as everyone else

quick edit: I don't know what slavery was present there, but I assume there was some and that's evil, I just think the Minoans were the least lovely of the available options

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 16:39 on Aug 30, 2020

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Minoan society got owned by a bull

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Mayor Dave posted:

Minoan society got owned by a bull

they got owned by Daedalus in making that giant rear end labyrinth lmao get your gold economy sunk Linear A society

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

their archers were really good thouh

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
The Khmer Rogue killed like a quarter of their population in four years so relatively speaking it was a pretty poo poo society to live in. Of course going by sheer volume nobody will ever touch the highscore set by the British empire.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Comcast

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
not only did the brits commit every atrocity imaginable on a scale and breadth never before seen, but they also are responsible for the us existing so i think they win

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
America can't be the most evil society because it isn't one.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Filthy Hans posted:

anglos are the worst phenotype of that most execrable species, the homo sapiens

and despite how bad the other populations are, it’s not even close.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Nazi Germany - - Malkina_ (Context: "Nazi Germany was inspired by the Louisiana Purchase")
Nazi Germany - - Stairmaster (Context: "which was deeply inspired by american colonialism" )
^^^^^ Less Evil ^^^^^
America
no - Shima Honnou
Itt people confusing Total Units of Damage Done with Total Units of Evil Society. - thehandtruck
vvvvvv More Evil vvvvvv

Mongols - - ASAPRockySituation
Belgian - - Sharkopath
British - - lorn Wayne
Babylon - - Impkins Patootie
carcosa - - SpaceGoku
Iran - - net cafe scandal
China - - net cafe scandal
Russia - - net cafe scandal
North Korea - - net cafe scandal
Mad Max 3 - - Endorph
Cuba - - a few DRUNK BONERS
Britain - - Crowsbeak
Rome from 150bc-150ad - - Crowsbeak
Assyria - - Crowsbeak
Atlantis - - Dreddout
funeralopolis - - Moam
The Assyrians - - Congo Jack
ottoman empire as a part of Rome - - rabble rabble
Belgium between 1865 and 1909 - - Gringostar
Spain - - Alhazred
Dutch - - Filthy Hans
Timur's empire - - Lawman 0 + Herstory Begins Now
immediate post-reconquestia spain - - lawman 0
all crusader states - - Lawman 0
Japan’s actions in China during WWII - - Malkina_
The Bloodrock Orc clan, OP. Noooograh! - - Symthe

Anglos - - animist
Humanity - - MysteriousStranger

Put me down for Mongols

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

during this period this was being reported in the press but the british press loved it, since they'd whipped themselves into a frenzy over stories of indian men raping white women.
all the newscasters becoming blood drunk psychopaths should be pretty familiar to anyone who was alive in 2003
all the prestige newspapers in britain today can be found running blood curdling imperial pieces about how the lesser races must be killed or tortured occasionally to keep them in line

yeah, but what were they saying back then?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

fabergay egg posted:

yeah, but what were they saying back then?

lol the sentence stands both ways

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Jewel Repetition posted:

Put me down for Mongols

Cool.

Also for general purposes: typed it out so anybody can just copy and paste it without quoting.
Or fix it up. It is quite a visually ugly post. Legit feel bad about its presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
evil isn't a loving political or economic category, it's a moral category. asking which country/empire/ethnic group/corporation/capital formation/ideology/culture is most 'evil' is like asking which chemical reaction is most romantic, or which solar body is most likely to succeed after high school

the necessities and contingencies of power have always been inhuman and amoral. using moral categories to understand history distorts, obfuscates, and mystifies.

emTme3 has issued a correction as of 01:30 on Sep 6, 2020