Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Stringent posted:

Good point yeah, as far as pure evil goes I think the Belgians are the real world leaders.

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/father-hand-belgian-congo-1904/

as a brit i hear about the belgians a lot but is there anything they did that the british empire didn't?
i don't know a whole lot about it but collective punishment is up there with divide and rule for fundamentals of empire

but as a serious answer to the OP question: all empires are evil, so it just comes down to size. The main power of states and the only thing that lets them exist is the inhuman level of violence and cruelty they can inflict, magnitudes more than any individual or group, and an empire is a state of states.

is an empire that oppresses a million people 1000x as evil as an empire of 1000? or at least moreso?
if so i'd say the british empire and its successor state, the american empire are currently fighting for the title of most evil society in history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Malkina_ posted:

The only reason why Francisco Franco, a self-admitted fascist, did not join the Axis in WWII is because their country was just destroyed by a civil war with the communists (funded by Stalin) — Franco received significant financial and military aid from Nazi Germany & Italy in doing so. Without the communists burning down most of fascist Spain, the latter most likely would have joined the Axis, which would have made invading the Atlantic wall of Nazi-occupied Europe essentially impossible, thus enabling the victory of Nazi fascism.

So yeah, the communists saved us once again.

Hitler, swearing in his bunker before he shoots himself: Ach! If only I had another Italy to protect me!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Stringent posted:

that's a good question, and i think it basically splits on your personal views about actively participating in atrocities versus setting up atrocious circumstances and letting the chips fall where they may.

its not really about that for me, the british were extremely active participants too.
i'm not sure if its what you're referring to but the idea of the british empire being hands off and mainly doing evil through neglect is british mythmaking. it was the classic brit combo of neglect and active incompetent evil (in that the evil occurs very effectively but the intended effect aside from cruelty almost always backfires)

during the amazingly named "sepoy mutiny" aka the first indian war for independence the brits tied people to cannons and blew them to peices, forced them to drink human blood before executing them, torturing them with hot knives and tearing their genitals off etc hanging and raping whole villages, classic empire stuff.

during this period this was being reported in the press but the british press loved it, since they'd whipped themselves into a frenzy over stories of indian men raping white women.
all the newscasters becoming blood drunk psychopaths should be pretty familiar to anyone who was alive in 2003
all the prestige newspapers in britain today can be found running blood curdling imperial pieces about how the lesser races must be killed or tortured occasionally to keep them in line

when the brits were forced out of these places they burned and destroyed all the records of the empire
the british have never owned up to anything they did, in fact talking about it is seen as outright dangerous

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 14:14 on Aug 30, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

fabergay egg posted:

yeah, but what were they saying back then?

lol the sentence stands both ways