Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Nazi Germany was inspired by the Louisiana Purchase OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

I think very few societies can hope to match Spain when it comes to evil. They bear the most of the responsibility of the genocide of the native americans. The ones they didn't kill they enslaved in order to mine silver and make sugar. When those slaves started to die off they then had the brilliant idea of importing slaves from African and thereby kicking off the trans-atlantic slave trade. They also came very close to wiping out every jew on the Iberian Peninsula and it took them 500 years to start a process to re assimilate the jews that had to flee. Then you have the spanish inquisition and Torquemada. I also hear bad things about Franco.

The only reason why Francisco Franco, a self-admitted fascist, did not join the Axis in WWII is because their country was just destroyed by a civil war with the communists (funded by Stalin) — Franco received significant financial and military aid from Nazi Germany & Italy in doing so. Without the communists burning down most of fascist Spain, the latter most likely would have joined the Axis, which would have made invading the Atlantic wall of Nazi-occupied Europe essentially impossible, thus enabling the victory of Nazi fascism.

So yeah, the communists saved us once again.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Badactura posted:

How's this thread defining evil

Humanity.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Japan’s actions in China during WWII were pretty loving bad, too.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Communist Thoughts posted:

as a brit i hear about the belgians a lot but is there anything they did that the british empire didn't?
i don't know a whole lot about it but collective punishment is up there with divide and rule for fundamentals of empire

but as a serious answer to the OP question: all empires are evil, so it just comes down to size. The main power of states and the only thing that lets them exist is the inhuman level of violence and cruelty they can inflict, magnitudes more than any individual or group, and an empire is a state of states.

is an empire that oppresses a million people 1000x as evil as an empire of 1000? or at least moreso?
if so i'd say the british empire and its successor state, the american empire are currently fighting for the title of most evil society in history

Ideologically the worst are America, Nazi Germany, Israel, Saudi Arabia, and North Korea

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
And India holy poo poo

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mayor Dave posted:

Let's flip it, has any society ever not been evil

USSR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

the reverse American exceptionalist logs on, flips thru his printed out howard zinn sparknotes pamphlet (howard-zine) that he hands out to creeped out children who can read betterer than him, and starts open palm slamming the keyboard w/th HARD FACTS showing why Amerikka is the most evil country in the world, and definitely not just an utterly unremarkable country, either for good or for evil.

Buddy do you know a thing about america or its history lol

Malkina_ has issued a correction as of 16:32 on Sep 6, 2020