Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I also posted about this in the film thread, but I got a free Beseler 23c on Craigslist this weekend, and am waiting for the parts to get it in working order to arrive. See photo below, condenser hasn't been installed yet. I had to order the light cap assembly, a knob for the condenser adjustment, and a lens. I ended up getting a 100mm Schneider-Kreuznach Componon-S since i'll be printing 6x9. Shouldn't be too much longer before I can knock out some prints!

Here's the last print I made, almost two years ago:

unpacked robinhood posted:

Bumping that thread to say between bad lab scans and bad home scans, printing has given me the most satisfying images imo.

Put on some tunes, turns the lights off and get in the zone.

I'm in the same boat! I've been without a darkroom for a while, and after scanning some negatives a few weeks ago, I realized that what I really like is having a physical, optical print. Scans just don't do it for me, and I miss the process of actually making a print.

rockear posted:

I have a Daylab 300. It's kind of rad in that you don't have to have an actual darkroom to use it. It's self contained and light tight. You could use it outdoors if you wanted to. However it's incredibly lame in that you can't do test strips or dodge and burn. Also the internal timer for the light is wildly inconsistent on the one I have. Not sure if they're all like that. However I got it for :10bux: and I'm learning a little about printing so I'm stoked. One of these days I'll get something better.

(Not my photo)

Whoa, i've never heard of these! Will have to look into them more.

Megabound posted:

A nice afternoon, hopefully she likes the set

Looks like a great print!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

I also posted about this in the film thread, but I got a free Beseler 23c on Craigslist this weekend, and am waiting for the parts to get it in working order to arrive. See photo below, condenser hasn't been installed yet. I had to order the light cap assembly, a knob for the condenser adjustment, and a lens. I ended up getting a 100mm Schneider-Kreuznach Componon-S since i'll be printing 6x9. Shouldn't be too much longer before I can knock out some prints!

So my lens arrived today, and unfortunately the mount is a little small for the lens board for my 23c. Here it is sitting in the lens board:

There's a tiny bit of play between the lens and the board. Am I missing a nut for the back of the lens, or should it thread directly into the board?

The lens threads measure at about 39mm. The lens board seems to be 39.5 or even 40mm. Any ideas?

Edit: Based on a little reading, i'm thinking the lens is an M39 mount, and i've got some weird lens board?

Edit 2: Oh lol, I think I probably just need one of these: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4498-REG/Beseler_8095_Jam_Nut_for_39mm.html

Apologies for the bad photos, need to clean some dust off the lens too:

frogbs fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 6, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Megabound posted:

Had a good time in the Darkroom this weekend, it's been raining all week so it's getting cool enough to spend some hours in there. Played around with cutting some custom masks for dodging and burning.
I'm also testing out LED light sources and I burned out my last 2 halogen bulbs. I've got a cheap $10 one in there at the moment and a couple of others on order to play around with, I'll report back with how it goes. My enlarger uses MR16 bulbs and I use a colour head for filtration instead of filters.

I had split toning explained to me in a way that made sense so that's going to be my next avenue of exploration, along with seeing how long I can push the use of Ilford Multigrade if the mixed solution is stored in an air tight bottle after use.

Anyway, these are 6x6 negs on 5x7 paper.

Those prints look great! Nice variation of tone, good job! Do you prefer split filtration to using filters, or does it no really matter very much?

I finally got all the parts to get my enlarger up and running. Had to source the cap/bulb, the upper stage adjustment knob, a 6x9 negative carrier (I ended up with two, if anyone needs one!), lens and retaining ring, and a super cheap easel:

Next week i'm going to try running my first prints. Wish me luck!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So i'm trying to print 6x9 negatives on 16x20, such that the image will fill almost the whole paper. I'm OK cropping some of the negative (the aspect ratios are way different). I'm enlarging using a regular non-XL Beseler 23c with a 100mm lens right now. Unfortunately it doesn't quite give me enough coverage to completely fill the 16x20 paper. From what i'm reading I think I might be able to try a wider enlarging lens, like an 80mm. Is that correct? Wider would give me more coverage on the paper?

Obviously in an ideal world i'd get something like a 23c XL that extends a little higher, but I haven't been able to find one in the short time i've been looking. 80mm lenses are cheap/plentiful so I thought i'd try that first.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Is the head able to rotate? Doing extra big prints horizontally is common practice.

It is, but I don't have a great surface to project onto. Keeping everything vertical would be ideal, at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Megabound posted:

The 80mm lens will most likely not cover a 6x9 negative.

I think i'm ok with that, as i'll have to crop anyway to fill the single-size 16x20 easel i'm using.