Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I busted out my weird and janky enlarger today and made a few prints. This is only my second time attempting wet printing and I'm pretty pleased with some of the results. Only the motel sign that came out way too dark is truly shameful. Makes me wanna get a real enlarger though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I have a Daylab 300. It's kind of rad in that you don't have to have an actual darkroom to use it. It's self contained and light tight. You could use it outdoors if you wanted to. However it's incredibly lame in that you can't do test strips or dodge and burn. Also the internal timer for the light is wildly inconsistent on the one I have. Not sure if they're all like that. However I got it for :10bux: and I'm learning a little about printing so I'm stoked. One of these days I'll get something better.

(Not my photo)

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Megabound is that your Durst in the OP? How do you like it if so? I'm kinda shopping for an enlarger and I like the look of the Dursts. Particularly the rotating heads and the tilt / shift functions. I don't know how much practical use that stuff has but it seems like it would be fun to play with. Living in the USA it seems like a Beseler or Omega might be the practical choice for parts availability and such, but I do like the Durst neg carrier with adjustable masking also.

There is a Chromega C on craigslist near me that looks to be in good shape with lenses and carriers for 35mm, 6x6, 6x7, and a couple spare bulbs for $300. Pretty tempted to just grab it, but I haven't been looking for long so I feel like I should research a little more.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah that's one thing that's tempting about that Omega is I think the guy has been using it somewhat recently and everything needed is already there... except for an easel though I don't think that's part of the deal.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Interesting that you're not a fan of the Durst carrier, as that was one of the things I thought was particularly slick about them. Is it just the dust, or are Newton rings a problem too?

Another thing that's got me paused is ideally I would want to print every size between half frame and 6x9, but it seems like 6x9 enlargers that aren't 4x5 enlargers are pretty uncommon, and 4x5 enlargers are both rare and expensive. On the other hand, I would love to get into large format someday, and big enlargers probably aren't going to get any cheaper.

Probably the thing to do is grab the Omega since I can reasonably expect to make decent prints with it without having to do major repairs or buy anything else, and use my experiences with that to inform an upgrade down the line, if there is one. Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
That's the "mixing chamber" referred to in this ad right?

See any red flags with any of the other stuff?

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/pho/d/sacramento-omega-super-chromega/7517516168.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Okay I think I did very well with the Omega. It seems to be in pretty pristine condition and the guy threw in a big Rubbermaid tub of stuff that wasn't in the ad as well. I haven't even dug it all out yet but there's a couple developing tanks and a bunch of spools, a color analyzer, two bulk loaders, two sets of developing trays, an easel, a timer, a machine for mounting slides, another 50mm EL Nikkor lens, a grain focuser, and a bunch of very old chemicals. :hellyeah: