Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

crotchgobbler posted:

My dad was a cop (now retired) and I've grown up around cops my entire life. And, incidentally, I have a cop neighbor who I regularly speak with. It is always interesting to me to hear how people "tense up" whenever the police are around regardless of the situation. They are just like regular people doing any other job. Some are good, some are bad. But, there isn't like, this overarching cop network that is focused on screwing over everyone. I agree that there needs to be systemic reform and accountability, but this blanket hatred for cops is ridiculous.

I love these comments that just casually glide over the issue. "Welp I'm a white dude who's dad is a cop and I've never had a problem with a cop. It's obviously universal for everyone!"

One time a cop was having a bad day and gave me a ticket for driving while uninsured. I was very puzzled because I was insured and showing him the slip. He told me I'd have to take the court date if I wanted the 2400$ ticket cancelled.

You're curious why people tense up when they see cops? If they're having an off day, or in a bad mood, or just plain sadistic (there's lots of those too), they can ruin your day if your lucky, your week, or your entire life.
Sometimes they'll arrest people for resisting arrest. What actually happens is they see someone they don't like, and they hassle them for no reason until they declare they're under arrest. Then they grab you and slam you and cuff you and charge you with resisting and assault on a police officer. Now you're facing felony charges and jailtime, when a minute ago you were just hanging with your friends and looked at him the wrong way.
Now the fun part about this is "the people they don't like" tend to look a certain way, and tend not to have money. So a lot of these people who did literally nothing take a plea deal because a year probation is better than 5 years of jail.
So now they got a record which affects all future employment. Thanks cops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU