Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
gently caress druids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks for the welcoming all-comers, guys. I'm a lawful good wizard who plans on using necromancy for my own personal ends. Can skeletons be taught to lockpick? There are some community storehouses I would like to rob.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

regular mike posted:

Thanks for the welcoming all-comers, guys. I'm a lawful good wizard who plans on using necromancy for my own personal ends. Can skeletons be taught to lockpick? There are some community storehouses I would like to rob.

You have a very permissive Divinity in charge of just what counts as Lawful Good within your sphere.

Suspiciously permissive. There's a good chance I'd recognize the name from before their ascension.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

magic cactus posted:

casting chill touch on my youtube music playlists to turn them all into lo-fi hip hop beats to relax/raise the dead to

you have to be really careful with this, music exorcises the mana out of dead bones so one minute you'll be thumping some sick beats in the benzo with a massive skeleton army disassembled in the back seat ready to rise at a moment's notice

but then when you get out to demand the mayor surrender his prefecture to you you realize your bones have all gone disenchanted

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

hakimashou posted:

gently caress druids

Sometimes I randomly cast "defoliate" just to piss 'em off.

They can be cool tho. Hippy dippy, but cool.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Are dark bards ok?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Are dark bards ok?

what like edgar allan poe? yeah they're ok i guess. they need to stop dump statting con

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

KillerJunglist posted:

Sometimes I randomly cast "defoliate" just to piss 'em off.

They can be cool tho. Hippy dippy, but cool.

A lot of people forget that druids have been doing dark magic longer than just about everyone else. You go back far enough (no, not so far that everything is darkness and tentacles, a little bit after that), back before people even knew the line between magic and everything else, and do you know what you'll find? You'll find someone wearing a deer skull and a robe, about to spill serious blood so trees will grow, and the crops will ripen, and the seasons will turn.

People think that was just "superstition" back then, but no. You really had to do that before wussy, modern, 'good' divinities automated the process. Everything's just free and easy now-a-days.

naem
May 29, 2011

darkness and tentacles was the name of my band back in necrollege

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

naem posted:

darkness and tentacles was the name of my band back in necrollege

Oh snap, I think I saw you play the Fat Barrel Tavern. I think Dragon Dem Titties played with you guys.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

gotta say I've had a change of heart on druids recently.

as most of you all know, I have been slumbering at the bottom of a cursed bog for the past few years, after tricking a party of adventurers into stealing the petrified ear of the succubus queen for me. at first I was worried about the local druids but they have been lifesavers, warding off meddlers of various alignments with their dire portents, and occasionally freeing the skeletons that get tangled in the undergrowth. they also sell an artisanal beeswax salve that really helps with the bog-chafe.

tbqh i'm starting to regret that 'you might be a druid if..." thread i started back in the day.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I still don't know about druids. But I did see one using malevolent vines to "animate* skeletons and zombies and I appreciated the creativity in that, even if it was a cursed transmutation cast on the plants rather than true necromancy.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:
A loose female drow acquaintance of mine contacts me through voidwhispers today and asks me if I could enchant some talisman for her and bring it over in the afternoon. "Hey yeah sure sure, whatever you need I'll help you, I'm all yours," I tell her. She sends me this thing tied to a raven and lo and behold I can't open it. It's some underdark poo poo and I don't speak drow so I begin panicing, trying to find some tome or incantation to let me enchant this thing. Scouring my vast library yields no results and I do my usual pacing in my room.

I finally come up with an idea and I tell the girl, if I can proceed with it. The plan was I would carry my phylactery about 2miles to her house, do the enchantment with her help, maybe talk to her a bit while I was there. I was hoping for at least a hug out of this ordeal.

By the time I get there, I'm wet all over from sweating in the +90 degree heat outside and carrying a heavy motherfucking lich vessel. The first thing I see upon entering her room (my first time in a girl's bedroom) are some panties on her bed.

After the initial shock of seeing such a horrific sight for the first time, I setup the phylactery and get my job done. However, I did consider sniffing the lingere when she left the room once, but with the wuss that I am, I just ended up staring at them the whole while. That was a sarcastic joke for those of you too stupid to realize that

To make a long story short, just as I was finishing up with the enchantment (which was hefty), her boyfriend and his gay friend walk in, say hello, and begin hanging out in the room as they waited for the girl to finish this work so they could go terrorize villagers.

This effectively ruins my chances of getting a hug and I walk another 2 miles home with the motherfucking phylactery in hand. The only thing that I got out of this were some very painful fingers and a "thanks" as I walked out her bedroom door.

So, am I pathetic for doing all these things? It wouldn't be the first time I've pledged my heart and soul to a girl and gotten back almost nothing in return. I would hate turning her or anyone else I knew down or making up some lie.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm okay with druids, but can we all admit that bards are the loving worst?

Always popping up in your sacred temple, singing some loving garbage that undoes a bunch of spells or is just plain annoying. When I was like 3 months out of Dark Arts U (GO UNRELENTING SHOGGOTHS!) this loving dickhead Bard kept coming in to my castle, singing a song about grasshoppers or something. I kept shooing him off, turns out the idiot thought I had a princess trapped in there. Anyway, like a month later I realize he's been enfeebling my foundation. Long story short; I had to drop a lot of gold to get my basement redone before the whole thing sunk.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
there's a workaround to this where you tune all your palings to specific songs. there's the caveat that the song has to be something you know by memory, but otoh i have yet to meet the bard with an encyclopedic knowledge of vocaloids

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

You just gotta move these dead bones bones bones
*Strums lute*

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm okay with druids, but can we all admit that bards are the loving worst?

Always popping up in your sacred temple, singing some loving garbage that undoes a bunch of spells or is just plain annoying. When I was like 3 months out of Dark Arts U (GO UNRELENTING SHOGGOTHS!) this loving dickhead Bard kept coming in to my castle, singing a song about grasshoppers or something. I kept shooing him off, turns out the idiot thought I had a princess trapped in there. Anyway, like a month later I realize he's been enfeebling my foundation. Long story short; I had to drop a lot of gold to get my basement redone before the whole thing sunk.

noot ok with druids but ya bards are scum

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

hakimashou posted:

gently caress druids

Druids suck but if there's one thing they're good for it's to gently caress.

Me, I'm a human fighter. Because I fight humans, you see.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Druids can't even parse the aisle contents in a grocery store, let alone decipher that kinda arcana! poo poo you speakin' of, brothermans? Get you a real like, Seer or even some shitbird Sword Saint Magus to read you your laundry lists, paperbacks make 'em weepy anyhows

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

KillerJunglist posted:

Uh, hi guys! Newish necromancer here.

I've been practicing with stuff like disrupt undead when I'm out with my friends "adventuring" (more like hanging out in creepy places, ya know?) But I thought I'd try something more interesting since I'm getting experience... well, let me explain.

I went to the graveyard yesterday night (I know, so amateur) and found an old grave that I figured no one cared about and raised a skeleton (first time, I did it!). Problem is, I don't think I know how to control the drat thing. It just sort of putters around and follows me. Even into the privy! When I tell it to do something it kind of stares at me but doesn't move. I feel like there's a trick to this that I'm not getting.

I like my skeleton (I named him McCoy) but I need advice on how to control (train?) him. Any and all advice welcome, we're supposed to go to the crossroads in 3 days to fight gnolls or something so speedy replies appreciated!

you should post this on spell overflow. someone there might be able to get you an answer

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

One time I cast suggestion on a druid and had him try and teach me that secret druid language they speak.

Dude got kicked out of being a druid and he's like an alchemist or something now.

I still don't understand that stupid druid speak tho.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

A lot of people forget that druids have been doing dark magic longer than just about everyone else. You go back far enough (no, not so far that everything is darkness and tentacles, a little bit after that), back before people even knew the line between magic and everything else, and do you know what you'll find? You'll find someone wearing a deer skull and a robe, about to spill serious blood so trees will grow, and the crops will ripen, and the seasons will turn.

People think that was just "superstition" back then, but no. You really had to do that before wussy, modern, 'good' divinities automated the process. Everything's just free and easy now-a-days.

Couple classmates in my old university were ancient druids. Gotta tell you, those ladies were hardcore. Entrail reading on still-living paladins, human sacrifice, blood curses, the whole 9 yards

I'm pretty sure they spend most of their days hunting and killing "new age" druids out of spite

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
You fool, the thread for mages is dead

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

You fool, the thread for mages is dead

Tell me what I'm referencing and you'll win a year's supply of disembodied screams!

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Tell me what I'm referencing and you'll win a year's supply of disembodied screams!

I am guessing this is a reference to “you fool warren is dead” by the darkest of the hillside thickets.

I don’t need anymore disembodied screams tho, on account of the aforementioned petrified ear of the succubus queen that I have recently procured. That thing picks up screams from all across the void as well as forbidden secrets. But tbqh it mostly just hears demonic gossip.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I raised my old college crush from the fathomless plains and she still won't date me? Can a more experienced necro help me out here? What am I doing wrong?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

to break dark wizard kayfabe briefly, if anyone's particularly into rpgs and wizards, this guy's done a system-agnostic module in which you try and deal with a troublesome wizard. it's good. wizardy.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Awizardspreads.pdf!? What manner of foul sorcery is this :goatsecx:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Colonel Cancer posted:

Awizardspreads.pdf!? What manner of foul sorcery is this :goatsecx:
What is that man doing to his abyssal portal of torment :gonk:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

KillerJunglist posted:

I still don't understand that stupid druid speak tho.

It's just pig-latin, dude. I thought everyone knew that.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Jeza posted:

I raised my old college crush from the fathomless plains and she still won't date me? Can a more experienced necro help me out here? What am I doing wrong?

She just wasn't that into you man. You have to move on. Raising the dead as a shambling corpse will not make the dead love you. If you wanted her to love you, you should have corrupted her soul in life.

Listen, I've been where you are, and it sucks. Girl in wizard college, was really hot. Didn't notice me at all. She accidentally summoned a balrog and welp, that was it for her. But my roommate raised her from the dead as a lark, and she just wanted to bang her old boyfriend. It happens.

Raising someone as a corpse will only get their love if they already loved you in life, and they wronged you horribly. For example, when I was a young adventurer, I dated the paladin in our group. She was hot and dedicated, a fantastic combination, or so I thought. And she wasn't from one of those orders that take a vow of chastity, if you get my meaning. Then her order decided that the wizard college I went to meant I was a Dark Wizard. I wasn't at that point, but hey, they turned me into one, so it wasn't all bad. My paladin girlfriend did nothing, I was convicted, and I only escaped because a dragon decided to attack the town right then (the dragon we had been hunting, mind you).

Anyway, years later, and I slaughtered that entire order of paladins. Including my ex. I raised her from the dead to torture her a bit, but it turns out she actually felt guilty about what happened to me! She thought (correctly!) that my unfair prosecution was what turned me towards evil. So... I hosed her brains out that night (no not literally, her skull was intact), and used a spell of corruption on her. By morning she was completely willing to forsake her paladin oaths and become a Death Knight. I like to think it was the loving that did it, but who am I kidding? Anyway, now she rules that part of the world for me and leads my cult in the area, and everytime I stop by I get some.

How does this help you? Hmmm, well, I guess what you could take from it is that you should always kill paladins.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

FilthyImp posted:

What is that man doing to his abyssal portal of torment :gonk:

The abyssal portal is ajar, ia ia ia.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I am guessing this is a reference to “you fool warren is dead” by the darkest of the hillside thickets.

I don’t need anymore disembodied screams tho, on account of the aforementioned petrified ear of the succubus queen that I have recently procured. That thing picks up screams from all across the void as well as forbidden secrets. But tbqh it mostly just hears demonic gossip.

Lol you're now being revoked of all magic.

It's an HP Lovecraft quote that the Thickets used, you dead fool.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Colonel Cancer posted:

The abyssal portal is ajar, ia ia ia.

What is this, the first circle of Hell? These jokes belong in the endless vortex of bland.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Can I be a dark wiz or am I too ya know

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Goblin wizard here. If yall need some cheap expendable minions or the alchemical components to create your own goblin spawning pits, pm me.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Okay okay, apparently this is the dark wizard TALK ABOUT DRUIDS thread.

But seriously, any you bad guy magic slingers ever work with an anti-paladin? I worked with one and whoo! Way too intense for me.

She used to call me "basic evil". After seeing how much trouble she would go through to be "advanced evil", I'm totally cool with being basic.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Anti-paladins are okay if you need to like, really quickly kill off some guys attacking your castle of whatever. And they're fine if you just need a dude to come in, kill some beasts, and leave.

But holy crap are they try-hards.

"Ohhh, the universe is a blank nothing balanced above a sphere of non-existence!" "Yeah I killed everyone you told me not to, I just think death is the only release."

Blah blah blah. I went though an anti-paladin phase in high school, but you know what? I grew out of it, just like 99% of magic users. Sorry to rant but those guys give those of us who truly worship evil a bad name.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Started a fun hobby where I'm trying to teach kobolds necromancy.

They don't quite have the patience for advanced stuff, but that's the fun of the challenge. They enjoy esoteric rituals, though, so they can ape the movements well enough to raise small things like spiders and rats.

The goal is to get a kobold who can raise other kobolds. I have one student who may be up to the challenge, but I found a little knife under his straw bed and I think he thinks he can take me out lol. His ambition is really cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Can I be a dark wiz or am I too ya know

Oh, so you think you're a dark wizard? Name every hex used by Aganar the Blighted.