Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Hey guys, it's the rear end in a top hat thaumaturgist. Recently on a supply run, a peddler sold me an enchanted tome that apparently tutors its owner in the arcane art of Truespeaking. Since I already make a living manipulating reality through altering a lesser portion of it, being able to speak the Language of Creation to reshape my surroundings seems appealing, but I feel like there has to be some sort of catch. Any of you have experience with this? It's apparently a useful part of fiend binding via their True Names, so I figured I'd consult my more evil compatriots.

You're going to turn into a Power That Be, buddy.

I don't mean that as a good thing. Do that too often, and you can't turn it off. You won't be able to tell a falsehood, you'll always have to keep to the letter of anything you say, and you'll have to talk like a drat Fae (all vague and non-committal) just to have a casual conversation. Then you'll be the one getting Bound by your name and your words instead of doing the binding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

regular mike posted:

Thanks for the welcoming all-comers, guys. I'm a lawful good wizard who plans on using necromancy for my own personal ends. Can skeletons be taught to lockpick? There are some community storehouses I would like to rob.

You have a very permissive Divinity in charge of just what counts as Lawful Good within your sphere.

Suspiciously permissive. There's a good chance I'd recognize the name from before their ascension.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

KillerJunglist posted:

Sometimes I randomly cast "defoliate" just to piss 'em off.

They can be cool tho. Hippy dippy, but cool.

A lot of people forget that druids have been doing dark magic longer than just about everyone else. You go back far enough (no, not so far that everything is darkness and tentacles, a little bit after that), back before people even knew the line between magic and everything else, and do you know what you'll find? You'll find someone wearing a deer skull and a robe, about to spill serious blood so trees will grow, and the crops will ripen, and the seasons will turn.

People think that was just "superstition" back then, but no. You really had to do that before wussy, modern, 'good' divinities automated the process. Everything's just free and easy now-a-days.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
It's all coming together. The other wizard threads must now obey this one.

One wizard thread to rule them all, one wizard thread to find them.
One wizard thread to post them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 3, 2021

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Do you guys just ever get.... tired?

Like last night I caught myself animating pieces of my cereal (I was eating Ceral at night... that's just how its been recently...) and than eating them one by one and I was like 'why am I even doing this?', sometimes it feels like I have nothing real

Does anyone know a demon who can consume ennui?

Everyone who is or used to be mortal struggles with this. Really, it's the biggest problem with any form of "unnatural" life extension. Your mindset just can't adjust.

There are two ways to solve it:

One, you can get therapy.

Two, you can invite a demon to live in your soul. Lot of people can't imagine why anyone would be "stupid enough" to do this. I'll admit, there are drawbacks. It can have a very permanent effect on your fashion sense, too (lots of people go into this business rolling their eyes at the flamboyant, impractical outfits, promising to themselves they'll never be "THAT kind of evil", right up until they are). All the same, there are few forms of happiness as pure as the joy of an infernal being fulfilling its purpose. It is boundless, brilliant, and inexhaustible. Lots of beings and constructs can do the same thing day in, day out, for a thousand years, but only a demon will always bring the same passion and creativity that it had when it started.

Any demon will work, so long as it's a demon that shares your interests. I recommend dating the demon for at least two years before you commit to make sure you are truly compatible. Definitely get a prenup.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Yvershek posted:

How should I deal with the local villagers? They are catching on to the years of one of them mysteriously disappearing every other month.

Villages can be complicated. They all know each other. Mysterious disappearances and mysterious appearances are all very obvious. Big, dense urban areas are way better hunting grounds. Focus on people who no one will miss, or people who are just passing through on a leg of a potentially dangerous journey.

Don't go into it with a "Village=Easy, City=Hard!" mindset. Villages love to work themselves into a torching, pitchforking frenzy. You can use the remote, isolated nature of a village to keep it in thrall, slowly replace the populace with your own people/creatures, or leave it too frightened to act against you, though.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

reviving (lol) this post from page 2 to point out that this is a rookie mistake. if all that holds you back from the threshold of ascention to godhood is not being able to lie while speaking in factually true sentences then just lol

you've shed the chains of morality and frail flesh my dude, you can handle this one

also the op was like a transmuter or something, those folks live on undying for that poo poo

e: gotta be fair that you do want to be ready for people trying to summon and bind you before you hit this level; don't wanna judge anyone who's still on their dark journey unto the depths of supreme knowledge and power.

you know you're ready when your thoughts turn to how easily you could turn those summons and pacts to your advantage. if you're not there yet, don't be discouraged! i sometimes wish i could relearn what yet awaits you with a fresh mind for the first time. (seeing it through the mind of a devoured soul is fun but not the same thing imo).

Yes, yes, Oh Ancient One. I get it. You made aaaall the right choices back in the day, becoming part of the system instead of learning how to stand outside it and weave it from the shadows. That's how you all did it back then, and, by the Laws, that's how we should all be doing it still.

Have fun being forever entangled with the other Powers.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Fur20 posted:

the local homeowners association tried to take me to task for building a druid bog in my backyard so my buddies could crash there comfortably, even though i had never joined their organization or agreed to their by-laws. but they were like oh we have an agreement with the city that you must be associated to a hoa to live in this neighborhood. so i called up one of my druid buddies and asked him to summon me a hydra and i gave it some LSD, and i was like "yea i'm associated with this HOA (hydra on acid) right here" and let it go on a rampage

well things went the way you would probably expect and now this once-gated community has been turned into a 100-acre hydra swamp with a tiny plot of grass where my house stands. i like the new neighbors (wild boars and capybaras) but i could do without the mosquitos

Keep a careful eye on that hydra. A hydra is going to lose and grow a whole lot of heads after a battle like that. If the heads form a HOA, you'll be right back where you started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

just burn down the occasional orphanage and claim it's "chaotic neutral." that way you can still dabble freely in evil magic and you can sucker the good guys by occasionally teasing a redemption arc just to reveal that you had ulterior motives the whole time.

My experience has been the opposite.

You'll be dealing with a lot of people who were orphans in this business, and some of them get a little weird about that. Once word about the "Oooooh no, ohhh nooo, senseless killing of children!" gets out, they'll take it personally and plenty of otherwise rational, profit-minded people will turn on you. Really, it's best to avoid killing children when possible. Yes, that's where most of those orphans come from in the first place, and yes, they can be quite annoying when they grow up, but there's a reason people do it that way.

And I don't think I even need to go into what happens if you try to kill a child but fail. Nobody thinks it'll happen to them, but that's a completely terminal destiny condition. You might as well just call it quits at that point.